Sign in to follow this  
nzoner

Am I being "That Guy"

Our FF league charges $5 per transaction and due to byes and a Sterling Shepherd setback I can only field two wr's this week instead of the required three.Here's the question,my team is absolutely horrid this season and the possibilities of me making the playoffs are practically nil.So am I being "that guy" for not fielding a complete team this one week or does it get shaken off as I paid my entry and I can manage however I choose?

What's your take when this happens in your cash leagues.

I can kinda see it both ways.  I hate to be in a league where someone is already out of it so they stop trying.  At least have some self-respect and try to be a spoiler.  In your case though, if nobody as good or better is available on the waiver and you don't have a player you are willing to drop I would prolly do the same thing as you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I can kinda see it both ways.  I hate to be in a league where someone is already out of it so they stop trying.  At least have some self-respect and try to be a spoiler.  In your case though, if nobody as good or better is available on the waiver and you don't have a player you are willing to drop I would prolly do the same thing as you.

I agree with this.  It's not like you're intentionally tanking.  There are just no other good options.

I would be pissed, unless it's a total points leauge. You manage to win at all times. Why should the guy you're playing this week get a break and the prior opponents didn't? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fandandy said:

No way will I stop trying as I'm too competitive and would love to play spoiler,I just don't want to shell out another $5 on a WW(that's depleted)just to have a body in my line-up.

1 minute ago, nzoner said:

No way will I stop trying as I'm too competitive and would love to play spoiler,I just don't want to shell out another $5 on a WW(that's depleted)just to have a body in my line-up.

If it's only about the $5, I think you should suck it up and pay it.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I would be pissed, unless it's a total points leauge. You manage to win at all times. Why should the guy you're playing this week get a break and the prior opponents didn't? 

It's a HTH and total points league.

So in my shoes you would spend $5 just to have a body in your line-up? Our WW is depleted and I realize it's only $5 but the odds on picking a player that's going to get any points are not good.

16 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I don't see it as you as tanking, but wanting to hold talent that will give you better success after this week.  is it redraft, keeper, or dynasty?

Pascal, Rogers or Dulin from the Colts. They are the only 3 wide receivers on the roster with a backup QB in Hoyer.  I’ve found the back up Qb’s have their best chemistry with lower tier WR.

15 minutes ago, nzoner said:

It's a HTH and total points league.

So in my shoes you would spend $5 just to have a body in your line-up? Our WW is depleted and I realize it's only $5 but the odds on picking a player that's going to get any points are not good.

Yes I would.  I've done it before. Plus I don't like some of my friends in fantasy. 

5 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Pascal, Rogers or Dulin from the Colts. They are the only 3 wide receivers on the roster with a backup QB in Hoyer.  I’ve found the back up Qb’s have their best chemistry with lower tier WR.

Any of these guys available?

11 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I don't see it as you as tanking, but wanting to hold talent that will give you better success after this week.  is it redraft, keeper, or dynasty?

Basically redraft but we if we choose we can keep 2 players per year that count 3 rounds against us in the draft until they have to be thrown back.

damn... this now begs the question: show your roster.  who is dropable? who is on ww/fa that you can pick up?

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Any of these guys available?

Rogers and Dulin both but the concern there against Miami are opportunities,personally I don't see a lot of pass attempts needed?

After scouring the WW the best I'm seeing IMO is Ted Ginn,with Brees back the opportunity could be there but then again they are playing the Falcons and kamara and murray could dominate.

Thoughts?

I’d suck it up and put a body in your lineup just for the sake of competitive fairness in your league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, frank said:

This is a good reason not to have transaction fees. 

Yup. Years ago we bumped it up to 500 per team. No excuses. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yup. Years ago we bumped it up to 500 per team. No excuses. 

How does your WW work? First come first served or do you use an order?

6 minutes ago, nzoner said:

How does your WW work? First come first served or do you use an order?

FAAB. Everyone gets 1k fake money. Waivers run wed-sat. You can bid on Thursday night players only, on Tuesday night. 

• Thanks 1

No, you are not that guy! Sometimes I don’t field a full team because I don’t want to drop anyone, don’t let the money get in your way of rational thinking.

• Thanks 1

Appreciate the feedback guys,I went ahead and dropped Shepherd(who looks like he might be headed for IR) and added Ted Ginn as based on previous targets etc. with Brees he was the best available.At least the league knows I'm trying this way,just got to hope for a Falcons/Saints old fashioned shootout.

My luck one of AD's Colts suggestions will now blow up.

I think you’re fine. That’s just one of the downsides of cash leagues. If they don’t like it, change the rules

Either your league has rules around you needing to fill a full lineup, or they don't. If they don't, then do what is best for your team and your pocket book, If they do, then it is what it is. You would then need to plan to fill it no matter what. The league should have detailed rules around this scenario unless they are just fine with incomplete lineups. :dunno:

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

No, you are not that guy! Sometimes I don’t field a full team because I don’t want to drop anyone, don’t let the money get in your way of rational thinking.

If you don't have anyone you want to drop, I agree that it is fine to field an incomplete lineup.  For $5 I think it is kinda bush to not pick someone up, and I think nzoner made the right call.

The only way to prevent this IMO is to have a financial penalty for an incomplete lineup, say $15 in this case?  Then you have a choice; if you want that bench fodder in week 10 so badly, pay up.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fandandy said:

This 

16 hours ago, jerryskids said:

If you don't have anyone you want to drop, I agree that it is fine to field an incomplete lineup.  For $5 I think it is kinda bush to not pick someone up, and I think nzoner made the right call.

The only way to prevent this IMO is to have a financial penalty for an incomplete lineup, say $15 in this case?  Then you have a choice; if you want that bench fodder in week 10 so badly, pay up.  :thumbsup:

If you are picking someone up because you don’t want to appear to be cheap that is up to you. 

H2H leagues are a joke and should only be played by novices.

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

If you are picking someone up because you don’t want to appear to be cheap that is up to you. 

H2H leagues are a joke and should only be played by novices.

I am picking someone up because, in the scenario I outlined if you knew how to read, I had somebody who was droppable.  I also only play for money in leagues with friends, and I made a commitment to field a competitive team.  

There are pluses and minuses to H2H vs. total points.  You probably include bench points, a thrilling scenario in which you draft in August and check in in December.  Woo hoo!

Also, I've forgotten more about FF than you've ever known.  Next year why don't you join IBL and show us how it's done, gramps?  96 owners from around the world representing 8 sites.  See you there.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I am picking someone up because, in the scenario I outlined if you knew how to read, I had somebody who was droppable.  I also only play for money in leagues with friends, and I made a commitment to field a competitive team.  

There are pluses and minuses to H2H vs. total points.  You probably include bench points, a thrilling scenario in which you draft in August and check in in December.  Woo hoo!

Also, I've forgotten more about FF than you've ever known.  Next year why don't you join IBL and show us how it's done, gramps?  96 owners from around the world representing 8 sites.  See you there.  :thumbsup:

Is it H2H? Your lack of knowledge about total points leagues shows you are a light weight.

i understood your question and I would have dropped Sheppard too.

H2h and total points leagues both suck. Stop playing that way. Breakdown is the way to go. You'll never look back once you change to it.  

Just to be clear our league is a combination scoring league,although we play HTH with a small cash prize at the end for best record that does not guarantee you a playoff appearance.Playoffs are decided by weekly points awarded 0-11 based on total points for that week vs. rest of league.My team is a perfect example with a 4-5 overall record but dead last in the accumulation of the 0-11 points added weekly through week 9.

3 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

Is it H2H? Your lack of knowledge about total points leagues shows you are a light weight.

Well, I don't know how your particular league of fantasy savants do it.  You are aware that there are multiple formats, right?  Nah, nevermind.  

I can understand not paying for the move.  In our league waiver moves are $2 and losses cost $10. The problem usually takes care of itself.