Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Clash of the Titans

I was 9-0 going into this weekend in a 14-team $50 PPR superflex auction league, starting 1 QB, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 Superflex, 1 K, 1 DST (10 bench)...

...but I was in 2nd place, due to having some 73 fewer points scored on the season than another 9-0 team.

I faced that team this week.

It was more about bragging rights than anything, since we had both already clinched playoff berths as of last week, with only 3 other teams in the league being above .500, and none of them within 2 games of us.  My 2nd-most points scored is some 140 more than 3rd place, and 3rd place is some 76 clear of the rest of the field himself--so our two 9-0 teams are really in a class all by ourselves at the top.  But of course, Axe Elf always likes to be #1...

Even with Edelman on bye, Kupp laying a big fat goose egg, and Devonta Freeman only playing the first half, it looks like I will prevail, as he is currently finished with 211.35 and I still have Carson and Lockett to go, standing on 212.90.  Curiously, Yahoo still says I am only a 94% favorite to win!  I guess they think there is a 6% chance that Lockett and Carson will combine for -2 points (or less)?  I might have to take the "over" on that 94%...

He had a pretty formidable team, featuring Michael Thomas, Golladay and Godwin at WR, Damien Williams, Jacobs, Gurley and Mack at RB, and his Baltimore Defense had a field day.  But I was able to cancel out most of Baltimore by starting the Jets myself, and Derrick Henry was also a monster for the Sons of Overtime.  With pretty capable contributions down the line from guys like Greg Olsen, John Brown, Larry Fitzgerald, DeVante Parker and Jamison Crowder, I was able to put him away with my Winston/Cousins combo at QB/superflex.

Fortunately for me, he had Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson on bye, and only Mason Rudolph in reserve, so this last week he traded Ekeler, Ingram and Barber for Gurley and Ryan Finley, just so he could still superflex a QB.  When Stafford was a late scratch, he picked up Driskel and started him over Finley, which gained him 14 points. The only other player he could have dropped into the superflex slot was Josh Gordon, because he is also holding Eli Manning, Josh McCown, and Tyrod Taylor (having dropped Taysom Hill for Driskel).  So good move picking up Driskel, I guess, but LOL at having 8 QBs now--most of them scrubs--and no Ekeler, Ingram or Barber!  Even if he had won this battle, those moves might have just lost him the war.

If Edelman and Kupp get back to normal, and Freeman's foot isn't too bad, I may axually have the slightly better team now going into the playoff run--and there's an extra $100 in the kitty for the most points scored.  I'm hoping that he gave up enough for me to catch up in total points down the stretch.  I'll shave whatever Carson and Lockett score tomorrow night off of his 73 point lead already--and I'm in the catbird seat for the #1 seed in the playoffs!

That story brought tears to my eyes.  

Thank you so much for sharing that almost interesting story.  

I hope you win, and it’s never to late to read the Bible.