Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Letting your kid drive at a young age

I’m not talking about 3-4. Like 7-13. Driving a boat or jetski when noones around and you let them drive for a short while. Or out in the country and you let them sit in your lap and “drive” with you controlling the gas and brake. Any of y’all do that for your kids? It was some of my favorite memories growing up when dad let me drive 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

I’m not talking about 3-4. Like 7-13. Driving a boat or jetski when noones around and you let them drive for a short while. Or out in the country and you let them sit in your lap and “drive” with you controlling the gas and brake. Any of y’all do that for your kids? It was some of my favorite memories growing up when dad let me drive 

Really? That’s nuts.

My youngest rode with me on the tractor when I was not mowing (that is dangerous).  He started mowing the lawn as soon as he could reach the pedals.  He started out as a really great driver.  Just got his hoisting license at 18 and wants to drive heavy equipment.

Youngest one just got his driver's permit and I am in fear every time he drives.  

That's pretty common where I live.  Most kids are driving dirt bikes, four wheelers, snowmobiles, golf carts, go-carts, tractors and combines here in Iowa.  My wife and her siblings all learned to drive at a very young age and her first car was a stick shift.  Almost all farm kids learn to drive by the time they are 10.

He's already drinking so why not? :dunno:

• Haha 1

Started driving in a '63 Ford Falcon 3 speed on the column on grandfather's farm when I was 12-13.

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

My 12 year old niece is my designated driver

Ah yes the Uncle who is the black sheep of the family,I can relate.

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

My 12 year old niece is my designated driver

[GFIAFP] Can size????  [/GFIAFP]

Just for naomi

2 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Should make a song about it..

Yep. Was listening to this right before I posted. Made me remember sitting in my dads lap and driving his truck. He controlled the gas and brakes. I steered but he had his hands right there in case he needed to take over 

5 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I’m not talking about 3-4. Like 7-13. Driving a boat or jetski when noones around and you let them drive for a short while. Or out in the country and you let them sit in your lap and “drive” with you controlling the gas and brake. Any of y’all do that for your kids? It was some of my favorite memories growing up when dad let me drive 

I don’t have any kids but I get it. It was good times.

I let him drive some of the machinery around the farm, give him a chance to drive the old pickup here and there.  Give him a chance to start getting some of the skills.

If we could get the orientals on board with letting their children drive they all might know how to operate a vehicle in a few generations. 

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

If we could get the orientals on board with letting their children drive they all might know how to operate a vehicle in a few generations. 

Is that stereotype all that accurate anymore?

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Is that stereotype all that accurate anymore?

Yes. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Are there actual statistics to back that up?  I'm curious.

Nope. Boils down to their impaired vision because of the slanty eyes. 

Just now, bostonlager said:

Nope. Boils down to their impaired vision because of the slanty eyes. 

I had a feeling it was something like that.

Not yet but soon.  He's 8 now, time to get my DD trained up!