Sign in to follow this  
porkbutt

prague

I've been.  It's the oldest European city not to get seriously damaged in WW2.

Highly recommended!

HTH

Spent 6 days there this last June.  Some thoughts:

• If I'm ever going to invade a country, this would be it.  I don't think they ever won a war.  They seem to be history's biatch.
  • Prague was the first place I'd ever toured that was in full control of the Nazi's in WW2 and was really interesting.
  • Fun fact: Prague hosts more bachelor/bachelorette parties than any other city in the world. 
  • Fun fact 2: They passed a law in the city that said every restaurant had to have at least 1 non-alcoholic drink that was less expensive than their beer.  This was due to the fact that beer was cheaper than water in most restaurants.
  • Not so fun fact: The beer sucks.  They've got a really crappy pilsner they all seem to love (Pilsner Urkel) and some places will have a dark beer (also made by Urkel) as well.  With it being neighbors with Germany, I was not expecting this.
  • Most bars/night clubs don't really get started until 1AM.  Most close at 6AM.
  • The river tour was not worth it.
  • The walking tour was.
  • If you're into old architecture, Prague castle is very cool.
  • Check out the bone church if you've got an extra 1/2 day.  It's about an hour bus ride out to it but was well worth it.
  • There are some VERY touristy areas in the old city.  I'd recommend not eating at any restaurant in that area as it's going to be overpriced and mediocre.
  • The atomic clock is underwhelming.
  • We saw two separate people, on two separate days that were wearing full black latex suits (including hoods) that had big black dildos attached to the front of them.  Weird as fock.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kanil said:

Spent 6 days there this last June.  Some thoughts:

• If I'm ever going to invade a country, this would be it.  I don't think they ever won a war.  They seem to be history's biatch.
  • Prague was the first place I'd ever toured that was in full control of the Nazi's in WW2 and was really interesting.
  • Fun fact: Prague hosts more bachelor/bachelorette parties than any other city in the world. 
  • Fun fact 2: They passed a law in the city that said every restaurant had to have at least 1 non-alcoholic drink that was less expensive than their beer.  This was due to the fact that beer was cheaper than water in most restaurants.
  • Not so fun fact: The beer sucks.  They've got a really crappy pilsner they all seem to love (Pilsner Urkel) and some places will have a dark beer (also made by Urkel) as well.  With it being neighbors with Germany, I was not expecting this.
  • Most bars/night clubs don't really get started until 1AM.  Most close at 6AM.
  • The river tour was not worth it.
  • The walking tour was.
  • If you're into old architecture, Prague castle is very cool.
  • Check out the bone church if you've got an extra 1/2 day.  It's about an hour bus ride out to it but was well worth it.
  • There are some VERY touristy areas in the old city.  I'd recommend not eating at any restaurant in that area as it's going to be overpriced and mediocre.
  • The atomic clock is underwhelming.
  • We saw two separate people, on two separate days that were wearing full black latex suits (including hoods) that had big black dildos attached to the front of them.  Weird as fock.

thank you. overall you sound kinda meh about the place? im going for work but might have a couple days

8 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

thank you. overall you sound kinda meh about the place? im going for work but might have a couple days

It was fun but you're right.  Of the three countries we went to, it was the worst.  A ton to explore (we missed a couple of things we wanted to see, ran out of time). 

1 hour ago, fandandy said:

A little known fact, Prague is the origin of two English words, Ragu and P.E.

badumbum  tsssss

Ragu is Italian...

50 minutes ago, Kanil said:

It was fun but you're right.  Of the three countries we went to, it was the worst.  A ton to explore (we missed a couple of things we wanted to see, ran out of time). 

What were the places you preferred over it? Planning a big European trip in a couple years

18 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

What were the places you preferred over it? Planning a big European trip in a couple years

• We went down into Austria and stayed in Salzburg which was a lot of fun.  If you end up there, visit the irish whiskey bar.  The owner there was a lot of fun.
  • Then went to Lake Achen and rented an Airbnb right on the lake for a few days.  It was a good break in the middle of the trip where we rented a boat, some bikes (e-bikes, not ones you have to do a lot of work on), and drank a ton of beer on the fake beach they created on the lake.
  • From there we went to Innsbruck which was an incredible ski town and we plan on taking a week or two ski trip there when my kid graduates high school.
  • Finally it was Munich for a few days and then home from there.

I thought all of those locations were better than Prague but I don't regret the time we spent there. There was a LOT of history to see, but it's just very much a tourist town.

If you want a lot of good information about the area ask @Bier Meister.  He helped a ton when we were planning our trip.

• Like 1

Love Europe, but have not been to Prague. Would like to.  

Interesting about the Bier. I think I read somewhere that it was the biggest Bier drinking country.

A huddle friend had a bunch of polish and czech friend that would come out to Vegas, and they would visit Denver a bit. They would bring an assortment of their bier. I am not a pils guy, but many were good.