Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Kaepernick getting a workout on Saturday

Just in time for the fantasy playoffs 🤣

I would, as a Steelers fan, entertain the idea of them signing Kaepernick.  Using Mason Rudolph in a game manager role might get them through the next few games, but winning against Baltimore in the last game and anybody in the playoffs is going to get him exposed.  Plus, they have zero depth behind him with only Duck Hodges.  I would sign Kaep as insurance and get him first team reps on occasion and have him ready come playoff time.  Plus you get the added bonus of having him simulate (at least partially) Lamar Jackson.  I think any QB needy team with any kind of playoff aspirations should at least take a look at him.  Dude took his team to 3 straight NFC title games, there is some talent there.  

Colin Kaepernick is the real-life Al Bundy...

...not that good at football; now he sells shoes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

And that being said, he may better than anything currently active for the Steelers.  

33 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Hey Al Bundy is a legend! 🤣

41 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

I would, as a Steelers fan, entertain the idea of them signing Kaepernick.  Using Mason Rudolph in a game manager role might get them through the next few games, but winning against Baltimore in the last game and anybody in the playoffs is going to get him exposed.  Plus, they have zero depth behind him with only Duck Hodges.  I would sign Kaep as insurance and get him first team reps on occasion and have him ready come playoff time.  Plus you get the added bonus of having him simulate (at least partially) Lamar Jackson.  I think any QB needy team with any kind of playoff aspirations should at least take a look at him.  Dude took his team to 3 straight NFC title games, there is some talent there.  

As a Washington fan, I was furious at them last year for refusing to even consider Kaep after Smith and McCoy went down. It’s not that I love Kaep or think he’s an amazing QB. But he is sure as shoot better than likes of Josh Johnson our Mark Sanchez, which is who they were trotting out as their playoff chances slipped away.  

That said, I still think most likely outcome is that this workout leads to nothing

A cancer like Kapernut being even considered is proof of how bad the QB situation is in the NFL.  Theres like maybe 8-10 good QBs give or take a few.  The rest are turds of epic proportion.  Like they'd barely be starting College QBs.  Its sad, really. A few injuries do add to this but lack of good QB play has been plaguing the NFL for like 20 years now. 

Good luck to whatever teams signs this disgusting, SJW scumbag.  Hope he tears both ACLs on the first play.

• Like 1

he was 1-10 in 2016.. Two-Thousand and sixteen!!!

hes an .. and simply put - not good enough to be in the NFL, go play in the XFL u piece of with feet

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jgcrawfish said:

No QB who is available will take the Steelers to the playoffs this year, so there's no reason to remove Rudolph from the job.  I think there's a 0% chance that Kaepernick would yield better results than Rudolph anyway.

Like I said, I don't have strong opinions on Kaepernick as a QB, but I've always found it fascinating that the people who hate his politics are all absolutely certain he is the worst QB to ever disgrace a football field. It's like the two have to go together. I guess it works in the other direction as well -- people who believe he's been blackballed by the league talk up his Super Bowl appearance -- but they're not nearly as vociferous about it.

Personally, I think he is a QB with some talent but also some weaknesses that were exposed once the league caught up to the read-option. I think it's pretty obvious that if not for his politics, he would have spent the past few years as a backup, since he's clearly more talented than some of the jokers that teams have been rolling out at QB over that time. I can't say for certain how much of it is teams saying, "No focking way we're signing that commie" vs. "It's not worth the media circus for a backup QB". Probably a combination of the two, leaning more one way or another depending on the team. And as we get further away from his last game, the length of his absence alone makes it less likely he'll get signed. I strongly suspect this workout is the league throwing him a bone so that, after no one signs him, they can throw up their hands and say, "Hey, we gave him a shot."

Kaepernick's name is being tossed around in Cincy, apparently Andy Dalton threw it so it was immediately intercepted.

16 hours ago, zftcg said:

As a Washington fan, I was furious at them last year for refusing to even consider Kaep after Smith and McCoy went down. It’s not that I love Kaep or think he’s an amazing QB. But he is sure as shoot better than likes of Josh Johnson our Mark Sanchez, which is who they were trotting out as their playoff chances slipped away.  

That said, I still think most likely outcome is that this workout leads to nothing

I agree, I still think the league doesn't want to deal with the Kaep controversy.  

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No QB who is available will take the Steelers to the playoffs this year, so there's no reason to remove Rudolph from the job.  I think there's a 0% chance that Kaepernick would yield better results than Rudolph anyway.

I disagree, I would argue that Kaep has the potential to be better than Rudolph, particularly around playoff time if the Steelers make it there.  However, I am ok with Rudolph keeping the job (he's 4-2) but feel like they are risking a lot relying on Duck Hodges and Rudolph as the complete depth.  

54 minutes ago, Ironmen said:

Kaepernick's name is being tossed around in Cindy, apparently Andy Dalton threw it so it was immediately intercepted.

That's an in-Cindy-ary comment.

9 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

I disagree, I would argue that Kaep has the potential to be better than Rudolph, particularly around playoff time if the Steelers make it there.  However, I am ok with Rudolph keeping the job (he's 4-2) but feel like they are risking a lot relying on Duck Hodges and Rudolph as the complete depth.  

Seriously?  You think a guy who wasn't any good the last time he played... 3 YEARS AGO, could come in with no off-season, no knowledge of the playbook, and no chemistry with the players will step into the role and succeed in what, 2 or 3 weeks?

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Seriously?  You think a guy who wasn't any good the last time he played... 3 YEARS AGO, could come in with no off-season, no knowledge of the playbook, and no chemistry with the players will step into the role and succeed in what, 2 or 3 weeks?

Interesting philosophical question: Which is better, a QB who was bad three years ago or one who was bad as recently as last Sunday?

Anyway, I'm sure we all have better things to do than debate QB battles between mediocre QBs who will almost certainly never play together. For example, we could debate actual mediocre QB battles like Foles vs. Minshew, Keenum vs. Haskins, Dalton vs. Finley ... or Goff vs. Bortles (ducks)

2 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Interesting philosophical question: Which is better, a QB who was bad three years ago or one who was bad as recently as last Sunday?

Anyway, I'm sure we all have better things to do than debate QB battles between mediocre QBs who will almost certainly never play together. For example, we could debate actual mediocre QB battles like Foles vs. Minshew, Keenum vs. Haskins, Dalton vs. Finley ... or Goff vs. Bortles (ducks)

I wasn't the one who brought up Kaepernick to the Steelers, I was just stating that the idea was ridiculous.

20 hours ago, jgcrawfish said:

No thanks.  Team just went through the growing pains brought on from getting rid of Brown and letting Bell go.  The last thing the Steelers need is more negative attention to deal with.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not sure the struggles of the 49ers where Kaepernick's fault.  He just played scapegoat for the teams issue due to his views.  

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

This is it in a nutshell.  I believe there is a higher probability that Kaepernick would offer them a better backup option, and possibly a superior change in the playoffs over the somewhat slow development of Mason Rudolph.  But then again, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl at the wheel of the Ravens and he flat out sucked...so...

More I read about this workout, the more I'm convinced it's just CYA by the league. They scheduled it on a Saturday, not a Monday or Tuesday (when teams typically schedule workouts). That means there won't be any GMs there; I guess the teams are sending their scouts (but shouldn't those guys be at college games?) They're saying this is for next year, but they randomly scheduled it for mid-November, gave Kaep a few days notice, and told him the date was non-negotiable.

None of this is meant as a defense of Kaep, who seems on board with the plan regardless (or is at least smart enough to not complain about it publicly). I'm more offended on my own behalf by a league that, once again, appears to be insulting our intelligence by assuming we're all idiots who won't see what's actually going on.

7 minutes ago, zftcg said:

More I read about this workout, the more I'm convinced it's just CYA by the league.

Right on schedule ...

To be fair, it's not clear to me why Schefter thinks it won't happen. Teams pulling out? Kaep having second thoughts?  I have no idea. But I stand by my position that this was never meant to be a serious effort.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:03 PM, AxeElf said:

"A toilet shouldn't be PINK!  It should be cold and white.  It should say 'step up to the plate batter, and make it a double!'"

OK, that last tweet was clearly parody, but this, as best as I can tell, is not:

Man, if I was trying to get back into the league, Jackson and Philbin are the last people I would want associated with me in any way, shape or form. I mean, was Rich Kotite unavailable?

I stand by my assertion that the Steelers should not only be there, but should consider signing him.  No matter what Kaepernick did, he couldn't have done it worse that Rudolph last night.  

1 hour ago, jgcrawfish said:

I stand by my assertion that the Steelers should not only be there, but should consider signing him.  No matter what Kaepernick did, he couldn't have done it worse that Rudolph last night.  

Yeah but what if he leads them to the Super Bowl against the Niners and noted Trump fan Nick Bosa attacks him with two helmets simultaneously? :argue:

42 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Yeah but what if he leads them to the Super Bowl against the Niners and noted Trump fan Nick Bosa attacks him with two helmets simultaneously? :argue:

Or he leads them to the Super Bowl and then takes a knee and doesn't play as a last FU to the league?  I'd stick with Rudolph and you can avoid the virtue-signalling.

I would imagine that even Jack-N-The-Boxes helmet wouldn't fit on that head these days. Maybe AB can help him find a good one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jgcrawfish said:

Seriously....and then Garret would never have been able to pull Kaps helmet off with that funky fro bro man sports.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jgcrawfish said:

I stand by my assertion that the Steelers should not only be there, but should consider signing him.  

Eewww.

Earlier Saturday, Kaepernick's representatives announced an abrupt change to the previously arranged workout. The event initially had been scheduled for 3 p.m. ET at the Falcons' team facility in Flower Branch, Georgia. But a little more than an hour before it was to begin Kaepernick's representatives sent notice that he was changing the venue to a high school in Riverdale, Georgia, about 60 miles southwest of the original location.

Twenty-five teams had been confirmed to attend the workout in Flowery Branch, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday morning.

According to the statement released by his representatives, Kaepernick took issue with "an unusual liability waiver that addresses employment-related issues" requested by the NFL, and also he wanted all media to be allowed to observe and film the workout. The NFL said in a statement Saturday "we are disappointed that Colin did not appear for his workout" and that it was informed of the decision at 2:30 p.m. ET. The league also stated "Colin's decision has no effect on his status in the League. He remains an unrestricted free agent eligible to sign with any club."

33 minutes ago, Nomad99 said:

Earlier Saturday, Kaepernick's representatives announced an abrupt change to the previously arranged workout. The event initially had been scheduled for 3 p.m. ET at the Falcons' team facility in Flower Branch, Georgia. But a little more than an hour before it was to begin Kaepernick's representatives sent notice that he was changing the venue to a high school in Riverdale, Georgia, about 60 miles southwest of the original location.

Twenty-five teams had been confirmed to attend the workout in Flowery Branch, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday morning.

According to the statement released by his representatives, Kaepernick took issue with "an unusual liability waiver that addresses employment-related issues" requested by the NFL, and also he wanted all media to be allowed to observe and film the workout. The NFL said in a statement Saturday "we are disappointed that Colin did not appear for his workout" and that it was informed of the decision at 2:30 p.m. ET. The league also stated "Colin's decision has no effect on his status in the League. He remains an unrestricted free agent eligible to sign with any club."

I have no idea what actually happened. But this Twitter thread, by ESPN's Howard Bryant, paints a different picture. Again, I'm just putting it out there, not saying which version is accurate (although it is worth remembering you could have made a lot of money over the past five years shorting the NFL's honesty):

As a Steeler fan I know that Rudolph is not  good enough to have even a decent career in the NFL as a starting NFL QB for any team and never will be.  He is an inaccurate pocket passer without mobility.  Hodges should of been put in at halftime vs Cleveland and should be the starter going forward.

Kaepernick led a team to a conference championship.  What would the Steelers have to lose by signing him?

4 minutes ago, Smileseers said:

What would the Steelers have to lose by signing him?

Possibly the support of fans who don't like what Colin did ?

I know Steeler fans are hard-core, & it's not the blue-collar city it was at one time, but there could still be backlash.

Of course all this is speculation on my part. Maybe the fans would support it ?

dude showed up, obviously only as a stunt once again, he doesn't want to play football, if he did he wouldn't have arrived wearing a 

Kunta Kinte shirt, heres a hint you aren't a focking slave you POS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

dude showed up, obviously only as a stunt once again, he doesn't want to play football, if he did he wouldn't have arrived wearing a 

Kunta Kinte shirt, heres a hint you aren't a focking slave you POS

Boom!

1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

Possibly the support of fans who don't like what Colin did ?

I know Steeler fans are hard-core, & it's not the blue-collar city it was at one time, but there could still be backlash.

Of course all this is speculation on my part. Maybe the fans would support it ?

If he won, fans of that team would support him faster than you can say, “Michael Vick”.