Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Kaepernick getting a workout on Saturday

19 minutes ago, zftcg said:

If he won, fans of that team would support him faster than you can say, “Michael Vick”.

Good point

On 11/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, jgcrawfish said:

I agree, I still think the league doesn't want to deal with the Kaep controversy.  

I disagree, I would argue that Kaep has the potential to be better than Rudolph, particularly around playoff time if the Steelers make it there.  However, I am ok with Rudolph keeping the job (he's 4-2) but feel like they are risking a lot relying on Duck Hodges and Rudolph as the complete depth.  

Can you blame the league or teams though? He’s a circus by himself.  Who knows what he'll do once he signed? And it isnt like your getting Peyton Manning or Tom Brady talent here and just have to put up with some shenanigans.  No, you are signing a full blown "wokester".  So how can it be worth that for what will end up being mediocre QB at best? I mean, disrespecting law enforcement and the military is pretty much chicken Pooh, at least most people think so. 

Which is worst, a football player kneeling during the playing of the national anthem, because he is standing up for racism, or see a football play kicking a woman?  

Im just asking this as a simple question?  

Anyway. M 

9 hours ago, easilyscan said:

Possibly the support of fans who don't like what Colin did ?

I know Steeler fans are hard-core, & it's not the blue-collar city it was at one time, but there could still be backlash.

Of course all this is speculation on my part. Maybe the fans would support it ?

What about the fans of the Browns , does your statement mean that they did support what Hunt did, when he indeed kicked a woman? 

On 11/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, Beyond Chaos said:

No thanks.  Team just went through the growing pains brought on from getting rid of Brown and letting Bell go.  The last thing the Steelers need is more negative attention to deal with.

Positive reports have  it that the Steelers were having talks with the jets to trade for Bell right before the deadline.  

I think teams what to win. 

And fans well soon forget bad things that good players do, it’s sad when that happens , but if a player can help,a team win, fans seem to get over what they did very quickly.  

And he Kaep would be a fit for a few teams, and if he did win and was effective , not saying he would be, but if he did come in a was successful, oh those fans would forget what he did pretty quickly and I bet even start to even back up what he did, after all I didn’t see him kick a woman did you?  

There is not a single team in the NFL that would be better off signing him and starting him rather than tanking to get a better draft pick that is younger and will be under a team friendly 5 year contract. . Not one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoadLizard said:

Can you blame the league or teams though? He’s a circus by himself.  Who knows what he'll do once he signed? And it isnt like your getting Peyton Manning or Tom Brady talent here and just have to put up with some shenanigans.  No, you are signing a full blown "wokester".  So how can it be worth that for what will end up being mediocre QB at best? I mean, disrespecting law enforcement and the military is pretty much chicken Pooh, at least most people think so. 

So if he had Manning or Brady talent that would make what’s he did just some shenanigans, but because he doesn’t , that makes what he did even more serious? 

2 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

There is not a single team in the NFL that would be better off signing him and starting him rather than tanking to get a better draft pick that is younger and will be under a team friendly 5 year contract. . Not one. 

Very good point, but as a fan I don’t want to see teams tanking, do you? 

Doesnt that make the product on the field even more watered down then it already as been.  

I rather see teams trying to win today, and not giving up, what kind of sportsmanship is that? 

Im not saying it doesn’t happen, but wow talking about why we seem to be watching or reading about or listening to bad bad football games in today’s game, and this issue of tanking is now being widely expected? 

Shame. 

Thanks. M 

Just now, weepaws said:

Very good point, but as a fan I don’t want to see teams tanking, do you? 

Doesnt that make the product on the field even more watered down then it already as been.  

I rather see teams trying to win today, and not giving up, what kind of sportsmanship is that? 

Im not saying it doesn’t happen, but wow talking about why we seem to be watching or reading about or listening to bad bad football games in today’s game, and this issue of tanking is now being widely expected? 

Shame. 

Thanks. M 

That is not what happens though in reality. Tanking has become so prominent that each year we have a nickname for it. Suck for luck....tank for tua. 

43 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Positive reports have  it that the Steelers were having talks with the jets to trade for Bell right before the deadline.  

I think teams what to win. 

And fans well soon forget bad things that good players do, it’s sad when that happens , but if a player can help,a team win, fans seem to get over what they did very quickly.  

And he Kaep would be a fit for a few teams, and if he did win and was effective , not saying he would be, but if he did come in a was successful, oh those fans would forget what he did pretty quickly and I bet even start to even back up what he did, after all I didn’t see him kick a woman did you?  

No thanks, i'll take my chances with "Duck".

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Which is worst, a football player kneeling during the playing of the national anthem, because he is standing up for racism, or see a football play kicking a woman?  

Anyway. M 

Stands up for racism, oppression etc.... yet wears a dictators shirt showing support lol then wears pig socks depicting Law Enforcement. Lol

• Like 1

The NFL did their part to clear the image of collusion against Kaepernick. The move is more about marketing. 

Anti-kneelers happy he is out of the league. Pro-kneelers happy the NFL organized a workout. Or at least it will quiet the pro-Kaepernick crowd from the argument of ongoing collusion.

Unless this was part of the $10mill settlement in the collusion case, seems likely marketing is the only reason. The league doesn’t hold workouts on behalf of FAs. 

21 hours ago, weepaws said:

So if he had Manning or Brady talent that would make what’s he did just some shenanigans, but because he doesn’t , that makes what he did even more serious? 

Nope, it wouldn’t. I was just using it for arguments sake that you can’t expect a team to take a chance on a very mediocre player that’s a pure cancer in every other way and a media attention nightmare.  
Kapernick should take all this free time he has and go save lives and correct the injustices.  Right? Oh, wait....effort is then required on his part.  He’d rather just piss and moan like every other whiny SJW.  Sorry, Colin.  Time to go away.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:41 AM, eagles115 said:

Stands up for racism, oppression etc.... yet wears a dictators shirt showing support lol then wears pig socks depicting Law Enforcement. Lol

You avoid the question like normal.  

I think you do think it’s worst then kicking a woman. 

Shame on you. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:39 AM, Beyond Chaos said:

No thanks, i'll take my chances with "Duck".

Sure some like being last. 

Some like trying to win. 

Thanks. 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:09 AM, kilroy69 said:

That is not what happens though in reality. Tanking has become so prominent that each year we have a nickname for it. Suck for luck....tank for tua. 

Not saying it doesn’t happen, asking to you like it and what to see the game get even more watered down knowing that a team isn’t even to try their best to win, I’m not saying it doesn’t happen , but as a fan do you like that it does, and not that you see the reason behind it, but I know one thing that has kept me from joining a total on line league is based on from many many testimonies from people that have played on those league, that many teams go unmanaged and it weakens the quality of winning! What do you think? 

On 11/17/2019 at 7:38 AM, weepaws said:

Anyway. M 

Football player kicking a woman? You mean the woman that had 100 chances to get on an elevator and leave the building (or maybe not enter it in the first place) but chose rather to continue to go back to bang on the door of the hotel room and continue to fight her way into an altercation? And still walked away unharmed? That woman?

I think the worse of the two is the one who is trying to rally people to riot against police and who is spreading hate filled lies is the worse of the two. Yep, the guy who really doesn't want to play football but whose popularity was down and wanted a boost from the NFL exposure is worse.

Anyway. Watch out for the Cardinals next year. They are getting better. :banana:

On 11/18/2019 at 5:09 AM, RoadLizard said:

Kapernick should take all this free time he has and go save lives and correct the injustices.  Right? Oh, wait....effort is then required on his part.  He’d rather just piss and moan like every other whiny SJW.  Sorry, Colin.  Time to go away.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/16956016/colin-kaepernick-donations-full-list-of-organizations-one-million-dollars

https://www.businessinsider.com/colin-kaepernick-donations-social-justice-charities-2018-9

https://fortune.com/2018/09/04/colin-kaepernick-nike-contract-donation-know-your-rights/

Feel free to disagree with the work Kaepernick is doing, or the goals of the charities he's donated to. But you cannot say that he's just sitting around whining.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:52 PM, jgcrawfish said:

I stand by my assertion that the Steelers should not only be there, but should consider signing him.  No matter what Kaepernick did, he couldn't have done it worse that Rudolph last night.  

The more I think about this, the more I think the Steelers may be the best fit for him. This is a team that is in the mix for a playoff spot in a weak conference. They traded their first-round pick, so no incentive to tank. Maybe he would be better than Rudolph, maybe he would be worse. But the one thing he definitely has over Rudolph is upside. Kaep at his best took a team to the Super Bowl. Nothing we've seen from a half season of Rudolph indicates he's capable of that.

In terms of off-field stuff, the Steelers are one of the few NFL teams that seem to have a more liberal ownership (Dan Rooney, though a Republican, was a big Obama supporter and served as his ambassador to Ireland; no idea what Art Jr's politics are). Meanwhile, Tomlin is highly respected inside the locker room and the Steelers have a strong team culture. I hesitate to make the Antonio Brown comparison because he and Kaep represent very different kinds of "distractions", but the way AB flamed out in his two post-Pittsburgh stops gives me a new respect for Tomlin's job in mostly keeping a lid on things while he was in Pittsburgh.

Also, the Ben situation gives the Steelers an easy out. If Kaep sucks, they don't have to bring him back. If he plays decently, they can either keep him as a backup or let him go play somewhere else. And in the highly unlikely event that he regains his 2012 form, they would even have the option of easing Ben into retirement a la Tony Romo.

As I've said from the beginning, I don't think this workout was ever intended to be anything other than a PR stunt -- Dan Patrick reported that it was a sop to Jay Z after he signed his promotional deal with the league earlier this year. And I think the way Kaep handled everything makes it even less likely that he will ever play in the NFL again. But in a vacuum, I think the move would make sense for Pittsburgh

On 11/17/2019 at 8:02 AM, weepaws said:

Without question. If Pat Mahomes started kneeling do you really think he would be out of the league?  Kaep does not have the skills to be a headache. 

Also. 25 of the 32 teams sent a rep to watch him. 

8 decided to play his little switch game showing the NFL he is the boss and attended his own workout. 

6 watched him throw

ZERO offered him a job. 

I will say it again There is not a single team in the NFL that would be better off signing him and starting him over drafting a younger faster player who will be on a 5 year contract. 

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Football player kicking a woman? You mean the woman that had 100 chances to get on an elevator and leave the building (or maybe not enter it in the first place) but chose rather to continue to go back to bang on the door of the hotel room and continue to fight her way into an altercation? And still walked away unharmed? That woman?

I think the worse of the two is the one who is trying to rally people to riot against police and who is spreading hate filled lies is the worse of the two. Yep, the guy who really doesn't want to play football but whose popularity was down and wanted a boost from the NFL exposure is worse.

Anyway. Watch out for the Cardinals next year. They are getting better. :banana:

Yeah that woman that was kicked, worst or not? 

Anybody? 

No one right.  

Is it worst then that, and yet you still didn’t answer the question ? 

Please try to, let’s see how you think.  

3 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

Without question. If Pat Mahomes started kneeling do you really think he would be out of the league?  Kaep does not have the skills to be a headache. 

So we do see the hypocrisy of this then. 

Thanks appreciate someone standing up and giving a truthful answer. 

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

Yeah that woman that was kicked, worst or not? 

Anybody? 

No one right.  

Is it worst then that, and yet you still didn’t answer the question ? 

Please try to, let’s see how you think.  

Did you ask a question? If it's what was worse, I answered that. Kaepernick.

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Did you ask a question? If it's what was worse, I answered that. Kaepernick.

And there you go, kneeling is worst then kicking a woman. 

Wow ok, now I know the rest of the story. 

Tata. 

12 minutes ago, weepaws said:

And there you go, kneeling is worst then kicking a woman. 

Wow ok, now I know the rest of the story. 

Tata. 

This is what I said was worse:

"I think the worse of the two is the one who is trying to rally people to riot against police and who is spreading hate filled lies is the worse of the two. Yep, the guy who really doesn't want to play football but whose popularity was down and wanted a boost from the NFL exposure is worse."

It's like someone who hires a killer to murder someone or start a riot and you would say, "so talking is worse than pushing a drunk violent girl with your foot?"  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

So we do see the hypocrisy of this then. 

Thanks appreciate someone standing up and giving a truthful answer. 

The truth is this. Has been this. Always will be this. 

If you are elite. You can do ANYTHING YOU WANT IN LIFE. ANYTHING. The money and fame you have will shield you. 

The MINUTE you are not elite anymore. You are cast aside like trash. Its not a black issues. Its not a white issue. It is simply the way it works for athletes of ALL ages. 

I have a distant cousin who is a pitching phenom. Almost burned down a target playing with candles at 14. Know what happened to him? He pad a fine and went to an Academy where all he does now is get ready for college/pros.  

If you are elite. You can do ANYTHING and someone will always take a chance on you. ALWAYS. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

Sure some like being last. 

Some like trying to win. 

Thanks. 

You're still on about this?  Do you have dreams of him sweeping you off your feet?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beyond Chaos said:

You're still on about this?  Do you have dreams of him sweeping you off your feet?

If you keep posting back, I’ll keep up the good communication. 

So let ask you, I see other players get in trouble for many many things , and most people on here , and not all, think everyone deserves a second chance, why not Kaepernick? 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:39 AM, zftcg said:

The more I think about this, the more I think the Steelers may be the best fit for him. This is a team that is in the mix for a playoff spot in a weak conference. They traded their first-round pick, so no incentive to tank. Maybe he would be better than Rudolph, maybe he would be worse. But the one thing he definitely has over Rudolph is upside. Kaep at his best took a team to the Super Bowl. Nothing we've seen from a half season of Rudolph indicates he's capable of that.

In terms of off-field stuff, the Steelers are one of the few NFL teams that seem to have a more liberal ownership (Dan Rooney, though a Republican, was a big Obama supporter and served as his ambassador to Ireland; no idea what Art Jr's politics are). Meanwhile, Tomlin is highly respected inside the locker room and the Steelers have a strong team culture. I hesitate to make the Antonio Brown comparison because he and Kaep represent very different kinds of "distractions", but the way AB flamed out in his two post-Pittsburgh stops gives me a new respect for Tomlin's job in mostly keeping a lid on things while he was in Pittsburgh.

Also, the Ben situation gives the Steelers an easy out. If Kaep sucks, they don't have to bring him back. If he plays decently, they can either keep him as a backup or let him go play somewhere else. And in the highly unlikely event that he regains his 2012 form, they would even have the option of easing Ben into retirement a la Tony Romo.

As I've said from the beginning, I don't think this workout was ever intended to be anything other than a PR stunt -- Dan Patrick reported that it was a sop to Jay Z after he signed his promotional deal with the league earlier this year. And I think the way Kaep handled everything makes it even less likely that he will ever play in the NFL again. But in a vacuum, I think the move would make sense for Pittsburgh

This is a good take.  I actually like the way Kaepernick handled it, he took all the control out of the NFL's hands and made it very public.  The NFL saying it was a closed workout and not allowing even Kaep's on people to film is sketchy as hell.  That being said, showing up in a Kunta Kinte shirt for the workout is akin to me showing up at my work wearing a "(Insert company name here) SUCKS!" T-shirt.  It would go over oh so well let me tell you.  I honestly believe that stunt alone is enough to scare teams off.  

That being said, the Steelers have the talent (and easy enough schedule) to make a playoff run and Kaepernick has, IMO, more than enough talent to help them.  As you mentioned, low risk at this point as Kaep could just be cut or not resigned next year.  However, the Steelers are on the precipice of irrelevance right now.  It's clear that the QB of the future isn't on their roster currently.  And I'm sorry, but counting on Ben to come back and lead them next year might just be betting on the wrong horse (see Manning, Eli and Rivers, Philip).  The Giants benched Eli for the QB of the future and I think the verdict has been good, but the Steelers and Chargers, with QB's from the same class, banked on those being available/good and are suffering for it.  Loyalty is great, but when the skill set or health goes, it tends to go fast.  I'd rather see the Steelers possibly extend the window with a decent interim QB, and unfortunately Kaep may be the best option out there.  

8 minutes ago, jgcrawfish said:

This is a good take.  I actually like the way Kaepernick handled it, he took all the control out of the NFL's hands and made it very public.  The NFL saying it was a closed workout and not allowing even Kaep's on people to film is sketchy as hell.  That being said, showing up in a Kunta Kinte shirt for the workout is akin to me showing up at my work wearing a "(Insert company name here) SUCKS!" T-shirt.  It would go over oh so well let me tell you.  I honestly believe that stunt alone is enough to scare teams off.  

That being said, the Steelers have the talent (and easy enough schedule) to make a playoff run and Kaepernick has, IMO, more than enough talent to help them.  As you mentioned, low risk at this point as Kaep could just be cut or not resigned next year.  However, the Steelers are on the precipice of irrelevance right now.  It's clear that the QB of the future isn't on their roster currently.  And I'm sorry, but counting on Ben to come back and lead them next year might just be betting on the wrong horse (see Manning, Eli and Rivers, Philip).  The Giants benched Eli for the QB of the future and I think the verdict has been good, but the Steelers and Chargers, with QB's from the same class, banked on those being available/good and are suffering for it.  Loyalty is great, but when the skill set or health goes, it tends to go fast.  I'd rather see the Steelers possibly extend the window with a decent interim QB, and unfortunately Kaep may be the best option out there.  

I mean, this is getting off topic, but it's exactly why I think trading their first rounder was a mistake, even if Minkah has played well. They really do need to have a post-Ben plan, and the trade likely put that plan off for another year (and Rudolph's performance was entirely foreseeable). But given where they are at this moment, I see no risk in a half-season rental of Kaep, and like you said, maybe he can even be a little more than that.

Back to the workout, the NFL has demonstrated over the past few years that its cynicism knows no bounds, and this entire thing from start to finish just bears that accusation out. I read somewhere that the waiver they wanted him to sign would have limited his future legal options against the league, which if true is an obvious poison pill that would prove the whole thing was a scam.

But here's the thing: Kaep has to decide whether he wants to rejoin this cynical, incompetent organization or not. He could have said at the outset, "This isn't a serious effort and I don't want to legitimize it." Or he could have held his tongue, did their little dance, signed with a team and THEN told us what he really thought. But it seems to me like he wanted to have it both ways. If you're calling out the owners for being a bunch of cowards, the already slim chances that any of them would sign you will instantly move to zero. So if that's your plan, why even bother showing up?

21 hours ago, weepaws said:

If you keep posting back, I’ll keep up the good communication. 

So let ask you, I see other players get in trouble for many many things , and most people on here , and not all, think everyone deserves a second chance, why not Kaepernick

Because teams don't want him. There is no reason to want him. He's bad at football, he has baggage and brings too much attention to any team if he were to join them. And, he is a not smart and likes to show off how much he hates people that make up most of the NFL audience. 

It's simple. He is an unpopular jerk trying to get back into the entertainment business. And he doesn't even want to play football, he just wants the attention. 

If you were to interview for a job as an actuary, and you are bad at it, and you bring a negative light to the company, are you going to publicly fight for the company to hire you when they don't? I hope not for your own sake because it would make you look foolish.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Because teams don't want him. There is no reason to want him. He's bad at football, he has baggage and brings too much attention to any team if he were to join them. And, he is a not smart and likes to show off how much he hates people that make up most of the NFL audience. 

It's simple. He is an unpopular jerk trying to get back into the entertainment business. And he doesn't even want to play football, he just wants the attention. 

If you were to interview for a job as an actuary, and you are bad at it, and you bring a negative light to the company, are you going to publicly fight for the company to hire you when they don't? I hope not for your own sake because it would make you look foolish.

I don't know that he's bad at football.  The last time we saw him play was for a bad team in San Francisco.  QB's get too much praise, and blame, for teams success or failure.  At least, in the case of a team like the Steelers, as a GM i would know that the game isn't too big for Kaep...where I can't be as sure with Mason Rudolph.  I've always said it takes DC's about 4-6 games to get enough film on someone to design game plans that affect the possibility of success.  We're seeing it with Kyle Allen in Carolina, who started out terrific and seems to be regressing.  It's not regression, it's game planning to tendencies and forcing the QB's into less comfortable throws and more confusing reads.  As a GM, I'm not sure I want the circus of Kaep, but I am sure that if I believe he gives my team a better chance to win then i owe it to my players and fans to give them best opportunity I can.  

2 hours ago, zftcg said:

I mean, this is getting off topic, but it's exactly why I think trading their first rounder was a mistake, even if Minkah has played well. They really do need to have a post-Ben plan, and the trade likely put that plan off for another year (and Rudolph's performance was entirely foreseeable). But given where they are at this moment, I see no risk in a half-season rental of Kaep, and like you said, maybe he can even be a little more than that.

After seeing Minkah's impact on the defense i want to disagree and say it was worth it...but now taking account of Rudolph and his prospects, and the long term possibility of Ben (again, looking at Eli and Phil Rivers falling completely apart) I am less certain.  Having a decent 1st round pick available to take a QB then getting a decent safety with a 2nd or so seems to be a more prudent course of action.  :dunno:

On 11/19/2019 at 5:33 PM, Beyond Chaos said:

I was listening to Danny Kanell on xm radio yesterday talking about kaepernick.

He was telling his story about the things he was willing to do and sign just to be looked at and considered for a roster spot on a team as a QB. He talked about getting calls on one day and having to fly out that day to be ready for a workout the next day. All the contract stipulations he needed to sign that covered the team's interests. On and on. He said he is 100% convinced that kaepernick's #1 goal is not to be on a team and be given a chance to prove himself and contribute to success of a team no matter what it takes. 

Kanell made a convincing point about kaepernick.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Non of that says why he doesn’t deserve a second chance. People keep saying he shouldn’t be given a second chance, what I keep asking why doesn’t he if everyone else does? Mmm. Mark Walton comes to mind, three arrest and given another chance, why? I don’t think he’s all that good , and his stats show it.  

Anyway everyone has their own opinions. 

12 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I was listening to Danny Kanell on xm radio yesterday talking about kaepernick.

He was telling his story about the things he was willing to do and sign just to be looked at and considered for a roster spot on a team as a QB. He talked about getting calls on one day and having to fly out that day to be ready for a workout the next day. All the contract stipulations he needed to sign that covered the team's interests. On and on. He said he is 100% convinced that kaepernick's #1 goal is not to be on a team and be given a chance to prove himself and contribute to success of a team no matter what it takes. 

Kanell made a convincing point about kaepernick.

Only thing convincing is one person opinion on the radio.  

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Non of that says why he doesn’t deserve a second chance. People keep saying he shouldn’t be given a second chance, what I keep asking why doesn’t he if everyone else does? Mmm. Mark Walton comes to mind, three arrest and given another chance, why? I don’t think he’s all that good , and his stats show it.  

Anyway everyone has their own opinions. 

How did he not get a second chance? He's eligible to be picked up by a team. Second chance doesn't mean that someone is forced to hire you. The NFL even let him work out for the teams. What if your favorite team was forced by the league to roster particular players that you don't want?

25 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Only thing convincing is one person opinion on the radio.  

Ok. You have a better handle on trying to be a QB  in the NFL but are not willing to share your experiences around the topic. You go!!

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

How did he not get a second chance? He's eligible to be picked up by a team. Second chance doesn't mean that someone is forced to hire you. The NFL even let him work out for the teams. What if your favorite team was forced by the league to roster particular players that you don't want?

You keep skipping my question to you, do you think he deserves a second chance?