Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Kaepernick getting a workout on Saturday

5 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Ok. You have a better handle on trying to be a QB  in the NFL but are not willing to share your experiences around the topic. You go!!

I already went, like I said that was one person’s giving their opinion, do you think it’s ok for some one to be able to give their own opinion? 

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

I already went, like I said that was one person’s giving their opinion, do you think it’s ok for some one to be able to give their own opinion? 

That is what this site is about, along with news. I was just paraphrasing a very rational guy who did it for a living and was communicating the insights of what it's like to really go after a job on a team. Noone in this country is promised a job especially when they don't want to follow company rules and they make everything about themselves. 

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

You keep skipping my question to you, do you think he deserves a second chance? 

I don't know what your question means. A second chance at playing football in the NFL? I don't think anyone "deserves" a second chance at being rostered. Teams will either hire them on or not.  

If I had to play your word game, i would say no, he doesn't deserve to be playing in the NFL. He's a one-man circus that I know would be a distraction to a team playing in a team game. He's a 'look at me' guy. Team players deserve a roster spot way before 'look at me' guys. 

On 11/19/2019 at 7:44 PM, weepaws said:

If you keep posting back, I’ll keep up the good communication. 

So let ask you, I see other players get in trouble for many many things , and most people on here , and not all, think everyone deserves a second chance, why not Kaepernick? 

I don't think a lot of those other players deserve a second chance,  it really depends on the offense committed by the player.  I also never stated that I believe Kaepernick doesn't deserve a 2nd shot.  I just have no interest in seeing him on the team I follow.  I never cared for him as a QB even before all the kneeling stuff, I thought he was over-rated and had 1 good year.  He can go play for someone else, it doesn't matter to me.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, zftcg said:

Whatever.  He's a tool and a bad quarterback. 

Doesn't he think the owners treat them like slaves?  Why is he so desperate to be a slave?

At this point, I would take him AND his Kunta Kinte sleeveless shirt at the QB spot for the Steelers and gladly live with the ass-whip he'll give their ownership.  

On 11/22/2019 at 6:36 AM, RoadLizard said:

Whatever.  He's a tool and a bad quarterback. 

a very short sighted comment.

He was a very good QB in the NFL for a period of time.   Granted during those good years I posted and said hes not as good as his stats showed.   but I'd also argue on those terrible SF teams he played on he was not as bad as the stats showed either.

He has shown a lot of leadership in the Black community and has put his efforts towards achieving good things.

I would argue that his heart is in the right place.   

And for that reason, he could be a good influence on a team with lots of African Americans on the roster. 

The problem with a QB like him is that there are not a lot of teams equipped to run an offense with a mobile, running QB so his possible landing spots where he can be successful is limited.

The other problem could possibly be that Kap may have salary expectations that are not in line with reality.   While nobody has published any actual offers turned down or demands made by him, I get the feeling he was asking for starting QB money when, in fact, he may have to bide his time as a backup before becoming a starter.

smart move for him would be to sign a 1 year deal with a QB needy team and try to make the best of things for the balance of the year.

Whether that happens (or not) remains to be seen.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:38 AM, weepaws said:

Which is worst, a football player kneeling during the playing of the national anthem, because he is standing up for racism, or see a football play kicking a woman?  

Im just asking this as a simple question?  

Anyway. M 

valid comment.  people have done far worse than him and not been subjected to the kind of treatment that he has had to face.

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

a very short sighted comment.

He was a very good QB in the NFL for a period of time.   Granted during those good years I posted and said hes not as good as his stats showed.   but I'd also argue on those terrible SF teams he played on he was not as bad as the stats showed either.

He has shown a lot of leadership in the Black community and has put his efforts towards achieving good things.

I would argue that his heart is in the right place.   

And for that reason, he could be a good influence on a team with lots of African Americans on the roster. 

The problem with a QB like him is that there are not a lot of teams equipped to run an offense with a mobile, running QB so his possible landing spots where he can be successful is limited.

The other problem could possibly be that Kap may have salary expectations that are not in line with reality.   While nobody has published any actual offers turned down or demands made by him, I get the feeling he was asking for starting QB money when, in fact, he may have to bide his time as a backup before becoming a starter.

smart move for him would be to sign a 1 year deal with a QB needy team and try to make the best of things for the balance of the year.

Look - you cant blame an NFL team for not wanting the sideshow circus that he'll bring with him.  Its the same type of negative press/issues that a player like Antonio Brown has.  You just cant add him to the team.  Kapernick made his decision.  He could have just worked quietly to champion whatever causes he deemed worthy.  But instead, like so many "wokesters" and "attention seekers" he had to make a scene & piss off a lot of people.  Bad choice, Colin.  Live with it and realize that you arent playing in the NFL anymore and its YOUIR own fault.

A few bad cops doesnt make them all bad.  And dissing the flag/national anthem doesnt always go too well either. 

He pissed on the people that were paying him millions and desperately wants more of those millions, but he wants to claim he's a slave and oppressed while doing so.  I wouldn't hire him either.

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

That's silly. The best offense in the league is built around a mobile QB. And their backup is RG3, who has clearly had a worse career than Kaepernick. Plenty of other offenses (Buffalo, Arizona, Houston) are built around mobile QBs. And the Chargers, who have a thoroughly immobile QB, brought in Tyrod Taylor as his backup. If teams wanted to bring him in, they could do it. The mobile thing is a red herring.

12 hours ago, Ray_T said:

His agent claims he has not had a single offer since 2016. It's certainly possible that he's lying, but at the least we can say there is zero evidence that he has turned down offers or demanded starter money. He can only make the "smart" move if there is a team actually willing to sign him, and it does not appear there is one.

2 hours ago, RoadLizard said:

Look - you cant blame an NFL team for not wanting the sideshow circus that he'll bring with him.  Its the same type of negative press/issues that a player like Antonio Brown has.  You just cant add him to the team.  Kapernick made his decision.  He could have just worked quietly to champion whatever causes he deemed worthy.  But instead, like so many "wokesters" and "attention seekers" he had to make a scene & piss off a lot of people.  Bad choice, Colin.  Live with it and realize that you arent playing in the NFL anymore and its YOUIR own fault.

I reject the AB comparison -- one guy shot his way out of town twice while antagonizing entire organizations, then was released by a third after being accused of committing sexual assault and threatening his accusers; the other guy staged a mostly silent protest and was well-liked in the locker room. But I agree at this point lots of teams will conclude he's not worth the media circus, especially after a three-year layoff. I also agree that Kaep ultimately has to decide whether, to paraphrase Henry Clay, he would rather be right than be a quarterback. I think it's patently obvious that there are many teams who refuse to sign him solely because of his politics. I also think the recent workout was a PR sham by the league. But in the end, if he really still wants to play it will be on the league's terms. He can either abide by those terms or not. Staging a private workout while also calling out the owners doesn't really seem to accomplish anything. I would have had a lot more respect for him if he had come out and said, "I want more than anything else to play QB in the NFL again, but it's obvious Goodell only did this to mollify Jay Z and this wasn't a real opportunity, so I'm not going to legitimize this publicity stunt."

48 minutes ago, nobody said:

He pissed on the people that were paying him millions and desperately wants more of those millions, but he wants to claim he's a slave and oppressed while doing so.  I wouldn't hire him either.

I think it is gamesmanship on both sides. The NFL wants to be rid of the optics of owners conspiring to keep Kaep out of the league, they already settled a lawsuit with him which says that there was some real evidence of this. They organize these workouts to repair the damage done there even if they believe nobody is signing him. Why else would the NFL organize a workout on behalf of this free agent?

For Kaep, he is more interested in maintaining the Social Justice Warrior symbol he has become. Sure he wants to be back in the NFL to get more spotlight. 

14 hours ago, zftcg said:

That's silly. The best offense in the league is built around a mobile QB. And their backup is RG3, who has clearly had a worse career than Kaepernick. Plenty of other offenses (Buffalo, Arizona, Houston) are built around mobile QBs. And the Chargers, who have a thoroughly immobile QB, brought in Tyrod Taylor as his backup. If teams wanted to bring him in, they could do it. The mobile thing is a red herring.

I disagree. 

there are a lot of coaches who like pocket passers and the system is setup to accomodate a pocket passer.  While the league appears to be moving towards having mobile QB's, not all systems are designed for them.

I'm not saying he couldnt get it done as a pocket passer, but if you are not going to use his feet as an asset in your offense, then why sign the guy.

I'm sure the press about him and the flag play a role.  I dont think the NFL wanted the sideshow, but I also think if they colluded to keep him out of the league, that was the wrong thing to do.

that being said, we are now getting to the point where Kaep has been out of football and its legitimate to ask if he can still get it done.   I do hope he gets one more shot, but I'm skeptical that it will ever happen.  it is even possible that if he was given a fair shot, he may not make the cut just because of his time away from football (too rusty).  Dude is now on the wrong side of the age of 30 (now 32 years old) so each year he sits, his chances of making it decline by a significant margin.   I figure if he does not play in the next 12-18 months, he will never play.

Like it or not, that's probably the truth of it.

15 hours ago, zftcg said:

His agent claims he has not had a single offer since 2016. It's certainly possible that he's lying, but at the least we can say there is zero evidence that he has turned down offers or demanded starter money. He can only make the "smart" move if there is a team actually willing to sign him, and it does not appear there is one.

yeah, no offers.  

But lots of times before making an offer, a team may inquire (informally) what salary range is expected.

if, as a team you are prepared to pay 3-5 million for a backup QB and  hes asking 15 million, you dont negotiate, you just simply dont make an offer.

that's what I do when I hire people out of university.   if the Entry level posituion is 40-50 grand for someone fresh out of university, the guy asking for 80 grand is not in line with reality in applying for this job.     If their expectations are not in line with reality, and they agree to work for 50k, they will likely feel that they are 'underpaid' and  become a malcontent. (I've seen it happen).    at that point, a dissatisfied employee is rarely a productive and happy one.

I'd suggest the same principle applies here.

so if Kap tells teams he expects more than 10 M, nobody is gonna make him an offer.    I like the guy, but if hes my backup I'm just not paying him that much.  and if he then agrees to 3 Mil, will he be a malcontent on the roster?   do you need to take the chance?

I guess that's another way to look at the problem.

but we dont have the information behind the scenes.  we dont know what was said behind closed doors, and neither side is talking.  So in truth, we dont 100% know whether Kap was treated fairly or not.    As it looks like he received some kind of settlement, I suspect the NFL isnt completely blameless but that is just based on the optics of the situation.

I'm just offering a different way to look at things.   I have just as good a chance to be right as anybody else out there speculating on the situation.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

that being said, we are now getting to the point where Kaep has been out of football and its legitimate to ask if he can still get it done.   I do hope he gets one more shot, but I'm skeptical that it will ever happen.  it is even possible that if he was given a fair shot, he may not make the cut just because of his time away from football (too rusty).  Dude is now on the wrong side of the age of 30 (now 32 years old) so each year he sits, his chances of making it decline by a significant margin.   I figure if he does not play in the next 12-18 months, he will never play.

On this we agree. If his window is still open (and I suspect it's not), it is rapidly closing.

That said, after Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in 2017, Bill O'Brien cited Kaepernick's time away from football (which at that point was only a year) as a reason the Texans weren't interested. The team then proceeded to go out and sign ... Josh Johnson, who at that point hadn't thrown an NFL pass since 2011. All of which is to say that, while it is certainly true that he's rusty, that's also a convenient excuse for teams that never had any interest in signing him. 

As I said upthread, I suspect it's probably a combination of different factors, depending on the team. I'm sure there are some owners who have declared they will never sign him based on his politics. There are likely others who have concluded it's not worth the circus for a mediocre talent. But given the track record of the league and its owners, they have hardly earned the benefit of the doubt on any of these excuses. Would it really shock anyone if tomorrow we learned of a secret memo Goodell had sent to all 32 teams forbidding them from signing Kaep? I mean, that would be an incredibly stupid, boneheaded, unnecessary step, which is exactly the kind of thing Roger specializes in.

Everyone seems to forget that he lost his starting job to Blaine Gabbert in 2015 and wasn’t much better in 2016. He also turned down a a couple of offers.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has opted out of his contract, the San Francisco 49ersannounced Friday afternoon. The quarterback is now a free agent. He gave up $14.5 million in injury guarantees for the ability to opt out of his deal at the end of the year. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/1/14599712/colin-kaepernick-contract-opt-out-49ers-free-agent

'He had his chance to be here': John Elway says the Broncos won't consider signing Colin Kaepernick because he turned down a contract 2 years ago” https://www.businessinsider.com/broncos-wont-sign-colin-kaepernick-contract-john-elway-2018-8

28 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Everyone seems to forget that he lost his starting job to Blaine Gabbert in 2015 and wasn’t much better in 2016. He also turned down a a couple of offers.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has opted out of his contract, the San Francisco 49ersannounced Friday afternoon. The quarterback is now a free agent. He gave up $14.5 million in injury guarantees for the ability to opt out of his deal at the end of the year. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/1/14599712/colin-kaepernick-contract-opt-out-49ers-free-agent

'He had his chance to be here': John Elway says the Broncos won't consider signing Colin Kaepernick because he turned down a contract 2 years ago” https://www.businessinsider.com/broncos-wont-sign-colin-kaepernick-contract-john-elway-2018-8

The opt-out was a pre-emptive move. Niners have said they would have cut him. 

As for the Broncos, I don't know the exact circumstances, but I can't recall another circumstance where a team traded for a guy and then asked him to take a pay cut. More importantly, it takes a lot of balls for a guy like Elway, who has so utterly screwed up his QB situation over the past four years, to be pointing fingers at Kaep. In retrospect, he would have been a lot better off giving Kaep his original contract rather than forcing Broncos fans to sit through the likes of Simeian, Lynch, Keenum, Flacco, Allen and Lock. It would be like a guy whose current girlfriend just stole his car and burned his house down saying to his ex, "You had your chance."

On 12/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, Baker Boy said:

look this is a fair comment by Mr. Elway.

it is not atypical for a team who has been snubbed by a player to refuse to give that player a shot at some point in the future.  If any team is to be held blameless I'd suggest Denver and San Fran (who Kap snubbed to become a free agent) are two teams who have every right to not wanna give him a second chance.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, zftcg said:

The opt-out was a pre-emptive move. Niners have said they would have cut him. 

That doesn't make sense.  If he was going to get cut, he would've been able to keep his guaranteed money and still be a free agent.  If he opts out he loses the money and becomes a free agent.

Both end points are the same, but in one he loses a bunch of money.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

That doesn't make sense.  If he was going to get cut, he would've been able to keep his guaranteed money and still be a free agent.  If he opts out he loses the money and becomes a free agent.

Both end points are the same, but in one he loses a bunch of money.

I can't believe he tried to make that argument.