Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Week 11 Scoop and Play WR

Though waiver wires are often bare,  there are often gems still lurking there. For those who have a gamblers heart, I offer these two scrubs to start. 

Hunter Renfrow - Raiders

Most, including myself, have been quite surprised at the success Oakland has found this year thus far, particularly considering the state they were in following the AB debacle. Here we are in week 11 and they are actually in the playoff hunt. Much of this can be attributed to a fantastic rookie RB,  strong o-line play, a good TE, and Carr actually looking serviceable this year. However, one thing that they have been lacking is consistent WR production. T. Williams has had some decent fantasy #'s, but a closer look reveals that he has greatly underwhelmed in both targets and receptions, but was buoyed early in the season by TD's....that has now fallen off. Without a true WR1, the gate is wide open for someone to step up, and that someone may well be Hunter Renfrow. Anyone who follows college football already knows how impressive he was a Clemson (17 catches, 180 yards and 4 touchdowns in two title games against Alabama), and it has certainly taken some time for him to get his sea-legs under him in the NFL, but all arrows are now pointing up. Although undersized, he graded well out of college by scouts  for his sticky hands, football IQ, and elusiveness in the open field. After failing to make a dent in the boxscore worth mentioning for the first several weeks,  he has notched between 42-88 yards in the last three contests, with two TD's.....and according to NFL.com, is currently only 1.7& owned. This week, he gets the floundering Bengals at home, in what could well be a coming party party of sorts for The Hunter. Prediction: 6-86-1

Deep Dive: Demaryus Thomas - Jets

Our first returning "deep dive" wide receiver is none other than the old "washed up" DT. Yes, the former 5X pro-bowler continues to be ignored, only 1% owned on NFL.com, but has quietly averaged 53 yards/game over the last 6 weeks....including 84 yards on 9 targets last week. Darnold finally seems to be getting over his slump, while R. Anderson is not. With Herndon back on the shelf and defenses still having to play somewhat honestly with Bell in the backfield and Crowder underneath, and with safeties having to roll coverage to Anderson to keep from getting beat deep.....this leaves DT to roam the secondary corralling receptions. This week he gets the vaunted Redskin secondary, that simply won't be able to hang with the big man, and I believe he gets his first score as a Jet, as well. Now, in full disclosure, I fully expect Crowder to get his this week in a revenge game against Washington, but he is widely owned. However, for a scoop-and-play WR that can be owned for a stale bag of chips.....DT is your man. Prediction: 5-73-1

• Like 1

1. My favorite weekly thread, thank you sir. 

2. D Pettis. 

You took the other two I liked, injures would be the reason for this really reach of a pick. 

Thanks again. 

Both of those guys have been on my watch list. Definitely worth a plug and play. 

I would take deebo if available. Stash Darius Slayton, great playoff schedule.

Can we skip ahead to next week? I'm going to need a receiver next week I think. Maybe Sterling Shepherd or Darius Slayton?

13 minutes ago, John Fox said:

Hollywood Brown? 

Widely owned.

Mostly focusing on guys available on waiver wires....

Thomas. 

7 minutes ago, himmystyles said:

Would u rather roll with Diontae Johnson vs Cle on Thursday or DT vs wash? 

Johnson if you are wanting the upside, but with a lower floor.

DT if you want a lower ceiling, but higher floor.

17 minutes ago, Ehlana said:

Can we skip ahead to next week? I'm going to need a receiver next week I think. Maybe Sterling Shepherd or Darius Slayton?

I'm in the same boat -- dropped John Brown without realizing I had too many guys on bye next week. If I can't get him back, will probably look at Renfro, Beaseley, Dionte, Amendola or maybe Josh Gordon.

Problem with the NYG WRs, aside from the lack of clarity around Shepherd's availability, is that they're playing the Bears.

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

2. D Pettis. 

You're joking, right? Not only has he done nothing all year, he was called out by his coach after a game where Sanders went out with an injury and he still couldn't make it onto the field.

18 minutes ago, zftcg said:

You're joking, right? Not only has he done nothing all year, he was called out by his coach after a game where Sanders went out with an injury and he still couldn't make it onto the field.

Maybe he is trying to start a bizzaro world scoop and play wr list with guys like Pettis and A. Calloway :dunno:

38 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Like I said it’s a real reach, didn’t say he’s going to be great. Also said the two I was going to list the op already did, I’m not here to just post a copy. 

Key note, he was just called out by his coach, plus injuries to both Sanders and a questionable Kittle. 

So yeah I’m going to say a scoop and play. 

And agree he’s done nothing all year, if he has would he be a scoop and play, nope. 

Just like my D Jones pick last week that you mocked makes me like this pick even more so. 

Also I just picked up B Hill of the Falcons, and I think he well have a good game, can you mock that pick also, it would help.  

Thanks for the help. 

57 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Widely owned.

Mostly focusing on guys available on waiver wires....

Hollywood Brown is on the WW in my 10 team league.

1 minute ago, John Fox said:

Wow...no kidding.

Would definitely grab him.

i just grabbed Will Fuller from the wire.. the previous owner had had enough of his injuries

4 minutes ago, John Fox said:

I would pick him up quickly 

3 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Wow...no kidding.

Would definitely grab him.

Just dropped DeVante Parker for Brown in my 10 team ppr- more upside plus this week should blow up. 

Just now, himmystyles said:

Just dropped DeVante Parker for Brown in my 10 team ppr- more upside plus this week should blow up. 

Yup, Parker has a potentially rough matchup this week.....

20 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I would pick him up quickly 

I just did. Dropped Cousins and picked up Hollywood Brown. Have Mahomes and Wentz as my Qb's. 

3 minutes ago, My Ball Zach Ertz said:

I'm after Dede Westbrook, who likely was dropped in leagues due to injury and week 10 BYE week....and BONUS :  N Foles coming back to "feed" his boy, and preferred target !

I like Dede as well. He has a great schedule coming up. It was either him or Hollywood Brown for me and I went the Brown route. 

57 minutes ago, John Fox said:

I just did. Dropped Cousins and picked up Hollywood Brown. Have Mahomes and Wentz as my Qb's. 

Wow very good move, a true positive gain for you. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Like I said it’s a real reach, didn’t say he’s going to be great. Also said the two I was going to list the op already did, I’m not here to just post a copy. 

Key note, he was just called out by his coach, plus injuries to both Sanders and a questionable Kittle. 

So yeah I’m going to say a scoop and play. 

And agree he’s done nothing all year, if he has would he be a scoop and play, nope. 

Just like my D Jones pick last week that you mocked makes me like this pick even more so. 

Also I just picked up B Hill of the Falcons, and I think he well have a good game, can you mock that pick also, it would help.  

Thanks for the help. 

I mocked you for Daniel Jones? I think all I said was that Engram was out. I was trying to be helpful in case you weren't aware, and this is the thanks I get?

Anyway, it's your team, and if you want to keep holding out hope for a guy who has yet to exceed 4 catches or 45 yards in a game all year, and who barely got snaps in a game even after Kittle and Sanders were out, then don't let me stop you.

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

I mocked you for Daniel Jones? I think all I said was that Engram was out. I was trying to be helpful in case you weren't aware, and this is the thanks I get?

Anyway, it's your team, and if you want to keep holding out hope for a guy who has yet to exceed 4 catches or 45 yards in a game all year, and who barely got snaps in a game even after Kittle and Sanders were out, then don't let me stop you.

Well I’m not picking him up, I’m just posting a post on a scoop and play wr.  

If someone out their needed a wr this weekend. 

Well I hope that someone didn’t see that help that you tried to give about Engram and Shepherd. 

And anything’s should have been for the one that recommend playing D Jones, and not the one trying to prove why one shouldn’t no?  

Thanks for the return, appreciate it. 

47 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Well I’m not picking him up, I’m just posting a post on a scoop and play wr.  

If someone out their needed a wr this weekend. 

Well I hope that someone didn’t see that help that you tried to give about Engram and Shepherd. 

And anything’s should have been for the one that recommend playing D Jones, and not the one trying to prove why one shouldn’t no?  

Thanks for the return, appreciate it. 

I honestly didn't have much of an opinion on Jones last week. That was why when you said I mocked you, I had to go look up what I wrote, because I didn't remember having any strong feelings. I guess I also said I didn't trust him, which remains true even after last week.

I do have a strong opinion on Pettis, which is that no one should roster him. I could be wrong. Hell, it wouldn't even be the first time I was wrong on Pettis this year. I had him as a sleeper and drafted him despite all the preseason whispers of him being in Shanny's doghouse. But at this point I just haven't seen any evidence that his breakout is coming. In fact, if my options were limited to SF WRs, I still think he'd be my third choice behind Samuel and Bourne.

He might not do anything. 

But when I see a coach kicking a player in the butt to get him motivated, sometimes it works. And it makes be belive that the coach does see him beinging someone that they might have to depend on based on injury’s .  Well when I am wrong let me have it.  

Hes been awfull, and I agree, well he be great or even good this weekend, don’t know, the other two WRs I would have posted the op already covered, so I went with a reach, either way if he is lucky he might pay off for some one, but maybe not. 

Its a shot in the dark, but he might pay off for someone, and that’s what I think it’s all about, maybe he can help someone that’s much more disabled at the wr postion or even the flex postion, just trying to be helpful.  

Thanks appreciate the return once again. 

Justin Gage - Falcons

Past 2 games w/Sanu moving on he is 2nd in target to Julio, 3rd in recs to Julio/Hooper, outdoing Ridley in both areas.

Panthers good v pass but the line is 49.5, could be a shootout and/or garbage time for Falcons (despite what they did v Saints think they revert back to type) now w/out Hooper.

Long shot considering the other options they have but again this is the 'scoop and play WR' thread.

Watch out for zftcg. 

Or maybe that person just doesn’t like my long shot predictions.  

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

Watch out for zftcg. 

Or maybe that person just doesn’t like my long shot predictions.  

Not taking the bait. I disagree with you on Pettis. We'll see who's right. But overall I find your posts helpful and really value your contributions to this board.

I think disagreements are really healthy. It forces each of us to clarify our thinking, and others can read our takes and decide for themselves who they think has the better argument.

A couple of honorable mentions:

Pascal with the Colts has made the list before, and fared well. With the news that Brissett will be back this week, and with Hilton still doubtful and Cambell out, he is in another good spot this week. He might have been dropped in some leagues after last weeks dud.

Ginn has been stinking up the place since week 1, but the Saints are gonna struggle to run the ball against TB, and will be given mega-attention to Thomas in the secondary. Seems like Ginn is in a prime spot for a blow-up game. I noticed that he is on the wire in a couple of my leagues.

Good luck to everyone this week.

5 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Ginn has been stinking up the place since week 1, but the Saints are gonna struggle to run the ball against TB, and will be given mega-attention to Thomas in the secondary. Seems like Ginn is in a prime spot for a blow-up game. I noticed that he is on the wire in a couple of my leagues.

Not totally disagreeing with you -- I'm hard up at flex in one league and am considering Ginn this week -- but just pointing out that's not really how things have played out so far. Thomas has been getting all the attention for the entire year and has consistently been the only Saints WR who has produced.

I think the stronger argument for Ginn is just that the Bucs' pass D is awful and it only takes one or two big shots for him to be a worthwhile start.

11 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I think the stronger argument for Ginn is just that the Bucs' pass D is awful and it only takes one or two big shots for him to be a worthwhile start.

Indeed. I considered that slant (no pun intended) to be inherent, but it's a good point.

Yes, Ginn will need to pop a long shot or two......but that has always been his game,  as we know well....and he is overdue.

(of course, it could always be TraQuan....he did have a blowup game last season too....but hard to have ANY faith in him)

On 11/12/2019 at 7:57 PM, weepaws said:

1. My favorite weekly thread, thank you sir. 

2. D Pettis. 

You took the other two I liked, injures would be the reason for this really reach of a pick. 

Thanks again. 

Now Pettis is listed on the injury report. 

So incase he doesn’t go, i we’ll pick A Tate of the Bengals. 

15 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Now Pettis is listed on the injury report. 

Deebo could be set up for a good game, if he can deliver.

Samuel well be and I think we’ll have a good game, but he’s not available atleast not in my league. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Samuel well be and I think we’ll have a good game, but he’s not available atleast not in my league. 

Yeah, Deebo is gone in all mine too, but I do own him in one and am starting him.

I can remember that you were a big proponent of him in the preseason. He has been slow to get his sea legs but could pay down the stretch.

45 minutes ago, weepaws said:

This is a good call, as he's been getting targets even with Finley at the helm and Raiders DBackfield susceptible overall, particularly to big plays.