Djgb13

If you’re looking for a new tv....

Best Buy seems to be having a sale on tvs. Saw 50” , 55”, and 57” TVs on sale from $199-$299 depending on the brand. Also some 70” and 75” TVs from $599-$699. Trying to talk the wife into us getting a new 70” or 75” one, putting the one we have in the living room into the bedroom and getting rid of the one we have in the bedroom. That one is 10 years old 

good luck with all that!

I miss TV's that don't collect your data

17 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

What kind of TV is the 75"?

Sorry man I already left. But there were more than just one brand of the 70” and 75” TVs. I think (but don’t quote me on this) one of them was insignia. Not sure the others 

Samsung series 6 55" is 379 at costco. Just grabbed one for my garage. I like it so far but not really much better than the older 52" Samsung I gave to my daughter other than it's a smart tv. 

27 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Sorry man I already left. But there were more than just one brand of the 70” and 75” TVs. I think (but don’t quote me on this) one of them was insignia. Not sure the others 

Don't buy an Insignia.  I bought one last year on sale cheap and it's garbage.  The only off-brand I think I would buy now is maybe a TCL.

2 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Don't buy an Insignia.  I bought one last year on sale cheap and it's garbage.  The only off-brand I think I would buy now is maybe a TCL.

I don’t usually buy insignias but this is the first I’ve heard that they’ve crapped out on someone. I just remember seeing insignia on one of the TVs but not sure if it was the 70+ or the 50-57 TVs 

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I don’t usually buy insignias but this is the first I’ve heard that they’ve crapped out on someone. I just remember seeing insignia on one of the TVs but not sure if it was the 70+ or the 50-57 TVs 

It hasn't crapped out, it's just crappy.  The first day I had it as I attempted to hook up a soundbar through the optical cable the part that latched it to the tv broke, the sound minus a soundbar is awful, the built-in fire tv sucks, when streaming Hulu it gets this weird green screen during commercials, it has like seizures intermittently and shuts itself off and restarts.  It's a piece of sh!t.  You get what you pay for.

I was looking at tvs in a Chinese store a couple weeks ago. The dude kept trying to steer me toward 4k models.

I'm like, why? Chinese wifi can't handle a 4k signal anyway, and even if it could, any source I would want to stream from is blocked anyway. Hell, pirating sh!t in 1080p takes forever.

I want one with good 1080p picture that can read an external hard drive via USB. Anything fancier is a waste for me. I could probably put a VPN on a smart TV or get a VPN router for Netflix, but it buffers constantly, so why bother? 

17 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I was looking at some of the 82” Samsung’s to replace a 60”. Not sure what kind of deals will be available during cyber Monday 

I saw an 85” in there for only $1999. Surprised the hell out of me cause I figured it would be a lot more than that. Back when I got the tv I have in my living room I paid $2500 for it. It was top of the line back then with motion control as well as talk to control. Still is a good tv with a great picture. 

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It’s crazy how inexpensive TVs are now. I remember selling refurbished 26” LCD TVs for $699. 

Which is why I haven’t bought one in years. Tv I had worked fine and still does. I want a bigger one than the 65” I have but also wanted 4K. Those were over $3K easily so I figured I’d just wait around til they came down. Sure enough they have. The new thing is QLED which still isn’t too bad in price

Based on feel, the top TV's these days are:

1.) Samsung/LG
2.) Vizio/Hitatchi/Sony/Panasonic

20 years ago...Sony was #1.

I have a Consumer Reports subscription.  I wonder what they say.

On TV's over 60"..... ALL of the top rated 20 TV's are:

SONY
LG
SAMSUNG

No other company is in the ballpark. 

Consumer Reports Black Friday List...

Black Friday Deals on Smaller TVs

22-Inch Insignia 1080p TV
The deal: $60 at Best Buy
We didn't test this small set, the Insignia NS-22D510NA19, which is at this price right now. It's hard to say how good a deal it is, because Insignia is Best Buy's house brand. Its 1080p resolution will let it double as a computer monitor.

32-Inch Polaroid 720p TV
The deal: $70 at Target
No model is given but we think it's the Polaroid 32GSR3000FC, a basic TV that usually sells for about $130. Polaroid TVs haven't typically done well in our tests.

32-Inch Hisense 720p Smart TV
The deal: $80 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Hisense 32H5590F
This TV is listed as the Hisense 32H5500, so we're not sure it's the same model. If so, it's a good deal, because it usually sells for $130 to $150, and it did well for HD in our tests.

32-Inch LG 720p TV
The deal: $100 at Best Buy
We didn't test this set, the LG 32LM505BBUA, which seems to be available mainly at Best Buy. We did test the similar-sounding LG 32LM500BPUA, which sells for about $130. It was a decent-performing HD model.

32-Inch TCL 720p Roku Smart TV
The deal: $120 at Best Buy and Walmart
We didn't test this set, the TCL 32S325, but it's available at this price at several retailers right now.

32-Inch 720p Toshiba Fire TV Edition TV
The deal: $130 at Amazon
CR's test results: Toshiba 32LF221U19
This set, usually available only at Amazon and Best Buy, did well in our tests, with satisfying HD picture quality. Amazon calls it a "limited time" deal.

40-Inch Insignia 1080p TV
The deal: $130 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Insignia NS-40D420NA20
This set, which does well for HD, was $180 at one point. It's a low price for a 40-inch set, but more models this size now have 4K rather than 1080p resolution. 

40-Inch TCL 1080p Roku TV
The deal: $170 at Target
CR's test results: TCL 43S325
Based on the 1080p resolution, we think it's the 43-inch model, which usually sells for $200. But it could be the TCL 43S525, which is also around that price at several retailers.

40-Inch Samsung 1080p Smart TV
The deal: $180 at Best Buy
CR's test resultsSamsung UN40N5200AFXZA
The set is only listed as a 5-series Samsung, but we think it's this model because it's at the $180 price right now. It's a tested 1080p TV with top-notch HD picture quality in a world that's increasingly moving to 4K resolution.

40-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $200 at Target
CR's test results: Vizio V405-G9
We found a Vizio model, the Vizio V405-G9, selling for about $240 on the Target website and elsewhere. It's an entry-level V series for 2019.

40-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $200 at Costco
CR's test results: Vizio V405-G9
This set, an entry-level V-series 4K model that does well for HD and 4K picture quality in CR's testing, usually sells for about $30 more.

43-Inch Insignia 4K Fire TV Edition Smart TV, plus Amazon Echo Dot
The deal: $200 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Insignia NS-43DF710NA19
This is our best guess for this set, which usually sells for about $3 more. Plus you get the free Echo Dot. However, it was one of the poorer performers in our ratings for overall picture quality. It's one of Best Buy's doorbuster deals.

43-inch TCL 4K Roku TV
The deal: $220 at Target
CR's test results: TCL 43S425
This could be the TCL 43S425, in the company's entry-level 4K series, which performs just okay in CR's tests. If it is this model, you'll save only about $10, because it' selling for around $230 right now at Target and several other retailers.

43-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $220 at Target
CR's test results: Samsung UN43NU6900
We know this set is the Samsung UN43NU6900, an entry-level Samsung TV from 2018. It usually sells for about $280, so this is a decent savings. It was $280 just a couple months ago during Labor Day TV sales.

43-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $230 at Dell (plus a $25 eGift card) and Best Buy
We didn't test this set, the LG 43UM6910PUA, but did evaluate its 49-inch sibling, which performed well for HD but not as good for 4K and HDR. It's the same price at both retailers, but Dell's $25 eGift card makes the deal there sweeter.

The deal: $230 at Best Buy
CR's test results: Samsung UN43NU6900
It's at this price right now at a few other retailers, including Target. Like many other NU6900 models from 2018, it did well overall for picture quality but came up short for HDR performance. It's one of Best Buy's doorbuster deals.

The deal: $230 at Costco
Not everyone is looking for a jumbo-sized TV. This model, the Samsung UN43NU6950FXZA, usually sells for about $280, so you save $50. It's an entry-level 4K set that, based on its model number, looks like a leftover 2018 model. Deals starts Nov. 22.

43-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $300 at Target
CR's test results: LG 43UM7300PUA
We're not sure which model is going on sale because there are a few new LG model numbers we're seeing this time of year. Our best guess based on the price is the LG 43UM7300PUA, which is selling at Walmart for about $350. That would make this a decent discount.

Black Friday Deals on Midsized TVs

49-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $270 at Target
CR's test results: LG 49UM6900PUA
We think it's the LG 49UM6900PUA, which usually sells for about $300 at Target and elsewhere. It's an entry-level 4K set with decent picture quality but ineffective HDR performance.

50-Inch Westinghouse 4K Roku Smart TV
The deal: $150 at Target
This is a tough one, because Target doesn't have the model listed on the one 50-inch Westinghouse TV it carries, and there's no other info to go on. Our best guess is that it's the Westinghouse WR55UX4019. If so, BJ's has it for about $350. But given the very low price, it could be a special buy on another set made just for this sale.

50-Inch Philips 4K Roku TV
The deal: $180 at Target
CR's test results: Philips 50PFL5703
Our guess is the Philips 50PFL5703, a 2018 set that's selling for $215 at Target right now. If so, it sold for about $250 last year during Target's 2018 Black Friday sales.

50-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $248 at Walmart
This is the Vizio D50x-G9, which we saw during Walmart’s Labor Day sale for $280. (It dropped to $268 a week or so later.) This set—in Vizio’s entry-level 4K, or Ultra High Definition, line—isn’t widely available outside of Walmart.

50-Inch TCL 4K Roku TV
The deal: $250 at Best Buy and Target
CR's test resultsTCL 50S425
Our best guess is that this is the TCL 50S425, which is selling at Target, as well as Amazon and Best Buy, for about $280 right now. We didn't test it but expect only so-so performance.

50-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $280 at Best Buy and Target
CR's test results: Samsung UN50NU6900
We know this model is the Samsung UN50NU6900, an entry-level model from 2018. It usually sells for about $330. The picture quality is admirable for a set priced this low, for both HD and ultra-HD content. But the HDR performance is subpar.

The deal: $280 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung UN506950
Here's another $50 savings, on the Samsung UN50NU6950FXZA, which usually sells for about $330, including at BJ's right now. It's a 2018 set that did well in most of our tests but was subpar for HDR performance. This deal starts Nov. 22.

The deal: $350 at Best Buy and Target
CR’s test results: Samsung UN50RU7100FXZA
Like many other Samsung TVs on this list, Best Buy's deal is no better than at other retailers. It's in an entry-level 4K series for 2019, and did well in our tests except for HDR.

55-Inch TCL 4K Roku TV
The deal: $280 at Best Buy and Target.
We didn't test this 4-series set, the TCL 55S425, but it's about $20 cheaper at Best Buy than elsewhere right now, because you can get the set at this price today.

55-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $300 at Best Buy
CR's test results: LG 55UK6090PUA
This set, which we tested, usually sells for about $380. While it did fine for HD picture quality, it wasn't great for 4K or HDR performance. It's a doorbuster.

55-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $330 at Best Buy and Target
CR’s test results: Samsung UN55NU6900
This set, in the popular NU6900 series from last year, is $380 right now, so you'll save about $50. It has nice HD and 4K performance, but ineffective HDR. And it has very good built-in sound.

55-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $350 at Costco
CR's test results: LG 55UM7300PUA
This is an entry-level set that's selling for $380 right now at Costco and $400 at a few other retailers. We tested this model, and it did well overall. The deal is live now, and runs until Nov. 21.

The deal: $350 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung UN55NU6950
This set, the Samsung UN55NU6950FXZA, is in the same entry-level 2018 4K series as the other sets listed above, and it performs similarly. It usually sells for about $380 and is that price at BJ's right now. This deal starts Nov. 22.

55-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $398 at Walmart
This model, the Vizio M556-G4, isn’t widely available outside of Walmart, but it’s $500 on Vizio’s site right now. It’s part of Vizio’s midline M series sets, which have typically done well in CR’s tests for HD and 4K but not as well for high dynamic range (HDR). This is an online exclusive not available in stores.

The deal: $450 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Samsung UN55RU7100FXZA
Here's another Sony priced about the same elsewhere, including Walmart. We tested this set and it has top-notch HD picture quality and satisfying 4K, but its HDR performance is ineffective.

55-Inch Sony 4K Smart TV
The deal: $500 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Sony XBR-55X800G
The 2019 TV is this price now, and it's about $100 at some other retailers, including P.C. Richard & Son. It performs similarly to other X800G sets: nice HD and 4K picture quality, but ho-hum HDR. It also has a fairly wide viewing angle for an LCD-based set.

The deal: $700 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung QN55Q6DR
The deal on this set, the Samsung QN55Q6DRAFXZA, started last week, so it's available at this price now. BJ's and Sam's Club also have this model at the same price. It's an entry-level model in Samsung's top-tier QLED TV lineup, with enjoyable overall picture quality. This deal starts Nov. 22.

The deal: $1,000 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung QN55Q7DR
This set, the Samsung QN55Q7DRAFXZA, is the step-up model right above the Q6D TV mentioned above. It also went on sale starting last week, and it's at BJ's right now at this sale price. This deal starts Nov. 22.

55-Inch LG 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $1,450 at Costco and Sam's Club
CR's test results: LG OLED55C9AUA
This is one of our top-rated sets for 2019. It's a step-up model above the B9-series sets. While this deal is supposed to start early, on Nov. 18, it was already at this price in early November. A similar model, the LG OLED55C9PUA, sold through electronics stores, is about $1,500 at several retailers.

55-Inch Sony 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $1,500 at Best Buy, Dell, and Walmart
CR’s test results: Sony 55A8G
This set TV—the least expensive of the two new Sony OLEDs for 2019—delivers the goods, with top-notch HD and 4K picture quality and satisfying HDR. But it's no cheaper at these retailers than elsewhere right now.

58-Inch Insignia 4K Fire TV Edition TV, plus an Amazon Echo Dot
The deal: $200 at Best Buy
This could be the Insignia NS-58DF620NA20, which usually sells for $480. That would make it a compelling deal, especially considering that with many Insignia Fire TVs you get a free Amazon Echo Dot. We didn't test this set. It's a doorbuster.

58-Inch Hisense 4K Android TV
The deal: $298 at Walmart
CR’s test results: Hisense 58R6E
This set seems to be available mainly at Walmart; we also saw it at the same price there in September. We tested this model, and while it did well for high-definition picture quality, it had subpar 4K performance and ineffective HDR.

58-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $380 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung UN58RU710D
Costco doesn't name this set, but we think it's the Samsung UN58RU710D, the warehouse club version of the RU7100-series model sold elsewhere. If so, the same model is selling for about $470 to $500 right now at Costco and BJ's. It has satisfying overall picture quality but stumbles when it comes to HDR, or high dynamic range. The deal is live now and runs until Nov. 21. It's a doorbuster.

Black Friday Deals on Big-Screen TVs

60-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $430 at Target
CR's test results: LG 60UM6900PUA
If we've guessed right about the model, then Target and most other retailers are selling this LG for about $500 right now. It's in the same LG entry-level set we've seen in other screen sizes.

65-Inch Element 4K Roku TV
The deal: $280 at Target
Given its super-low price for its size, this appears to be some kind of special buy. We don't see a 65-inch 4K Roku model at this low price anywhere. Our best guess is that it's  the Element E4SW6518RKU, which was on sale earlier this year for about $450. If it is this set, it did well for HD picture quality but was below par for 4K and HDR performance.

65-Inch Hisense 4K Smart TV
The deal: $300 at Best Buy
The model is the Hisense 65H6500F, a TV that uses the Android TV smart TV system. We don't really see this TV much, but we do see the Hisense 65H6570F model, linked above, selling for $500. We'll have to see if this is the model that's on sale; it looks like an H6500F set was available at some point. This is a real Black Friday doorbuster for Friday. Best Buy says it will hand out tickets to those in line 1 hour before the doors open at 8 a.m.

65-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $400 at Costco
This entry-level V-series set isn't showing up on Costco's site yet. We think it could be the Vizio V655-G9, which usually sells for about $530. The deal starts on Nov. 22.

65-Inch TCL 4K Roku Smart TV
The deal: $400 at Target and Best Buy
If this is the larger size in TCL's S425 entry-level 4K series, also listed above, it's about $450 right now at Best Buy and Target, and a few other retailers. It's listed as a doorbuster in the Best Buy ad. We didn't test this model, but while some higher-series TCLs do very well in our ratings, 4-series sets haven't.

The deal:
 $400 at Costco
This entry-level V-series set isn't showing up on Costco's site yet. We think it could be the Vizio V655-G9, which usually sells for about $530. The deal starts on Nov. 22.

65-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $480 at Target
CR's test results: Samsung UN65NU6900
This is yet another model in Samsung's entry-level 4K series for 2018. It's selling for $550 at Target, as well as at Best Buy and Walmart.

65-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $480 at Target
CR's test results: LG 65UM6900PUA
We're guessing this is in the same MU6900 series as the 60-inch LG listed higher up. If so, the sale price is only about $20 cheaper than the price the set is going for right now. The performance is so-so, about what you might expect for a 65-inch set priced this low.

The deal: $480 at Best Buy
CR's test results: Samsung UN65NU6900
Like many other Samsung TVs in this roundup, you can get this set at this price starting today. We've been seeing this TV, a 2018 model, at several other retailers, including Walmart, for the same price. Like many entry-level sets, it did well for HD and 4K picture quality but not as great with HDR.

65-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $500 at Costco
CR's test results: LG 65UM7300AUA
Costco lists this set as the LG 65UM7300, but we think it's the LG 65UM7300AUA—a bigger sibling to a set we list above—which is selling for $580 right now. That means you'll save about $80. The set performed well overall, though not as well as the smaller set for HDR. The early deal runs until Nov. 21.

The deal: $480 at BJ's, $500 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung UN65NU6950
Another model in Samsung's entry-level series, this is the UN65NU6950FXZA, and before the sale starts it's been about $550 at Costco and BJ's. It was $650 during the Super Bowl TV sale last winter. The deal starts Nov. 22.

65-Inch Sony 4K Smart TV
The deal:
 $700 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Sony XBR-65X800G
This set is already at this price at Best Buy and several other retailers. It's a midline Sony 4K set that does well for HD and 4K picture, but it's not as good with HDR content.

The deal: $780 at Costco
CR's test results: Samsung UN65RU800D
You can save about $100 on the Samsung UN65RU800DFXZA, basically the warehouse version of the Samsung UN65RU8000 model. We tested this set, and it did well for everything except HDR. The deal starts Nov. 22.

65-Inch Sony 4K Smart TV
The deal: $1,100 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Sony XBR-65X900F,
This step-up Sony model from 2018 model did well in our tests, with nice overall picture quality and an effective HDR experience. While it's a good set, Best Buy's deal is no better than what we've seen elsewhere.

65-Inch Samsung 4K QLED Smart TV
The deal: $1,000 at Best Buy and Walmart
CR’s test results: Samsung QN65Q60RAFXZA
This is another TV that's at this price almost everywhere. In our tests it did well overall but delivered only a Fair HDR experience.

The deal: $1,200 at Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart
CR’s test results: Samsung QN65Q70RAFXZA
It's at this price several places right now, so it's not a special deal. However, it's a great set; as you step up from the Q60R to Q70R models you get top-notch HD and 4K picture quality, plus an effective HDR experience. It's a doorbuster.

The deal: $1,700 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Samsung QN65Q80RAFXZA
Once again this Samsung QLED TV, in the series just below the pricey flagship Q90R series, is at this price everywhere. It's a top performer with a surprisingly wide viewing angle for an LCD-based set. It's a doorbuster.

65-Inch LG 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $1,800 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: LG OLED65B9
This LG OLED TV, its least expensive model, is among the best TVs you can buy in 2019. You'll save about $200 at Best Buy's sale, because it's $2,000 almost everywhere else, including at the Costco Black Friday sale.

65-Inch LG 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $2,000 at Costco
CR's test resultsLG OLED65B9PUA
Another top model, this is LG's entry-level OLED TV for 2019. It's an online-only sale. However, it's available at this price right now at Costco and for a few dollars less at several other retailers. The deal starts Nov. 22.

65-Inch LG 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $2,250 at Costco
CR's test results: LG OLED65C9AUA
This deal doesn't make much sense for shoppers, because the set—the LG OLED65C9AUA—is selling at Costco right now for $2,050 and at BJ's for $2,250. It's another top-rated set, though, among the best we've tested.

65-Inch Sony 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $2,000 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Sony 65A8G
This 65-inch set—the less expensive of the two new Sony OLED TVs for 2019—delivers top-notch picture quality and a satisfying HDR experience, just shy of the very best sets we've tested. But it's at this price just about everywhere.

Black Friday Deals on Jumbo TVs

70-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $550 at Best Buy
The ad only says it's a 6-series set, so it could be the Samsung UN70NU6070FXZA, though that set is $800 right now. In general, Samsung 6-series models are entry-level TVs that tend to do fine for overall picture quality but typically fall short of providing a satisfying HDR experience. We didn't test this model, which is from 2018. It's listed in the Best Buy ad as a doorbuster.

70-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $700 at Costco
This set, in Vizio's midtier M-series, isn't listed yet. We think it's the Vizio M706-G0, which is selling at this price at a few retailers, including Dell. However, if it's the Vizio M706-G3, it usually sells for about $200 more. We didn't test either of these models. The deal starts Nov. 22.

75-Inch Samsung 4K Smart TV
The deal: $750 at Best Buy
We didn't test this set, the Samsung UN75NU6900, in this screen size, but it's yet another NU6900 model from 2018. It's a doorbuster.

The deal: $750 at Costco
Costco is shaving about $150 off the price of this set, the Samsung UN75NU6950FXZA, yet another model in this popular TV series. It's $1,000 at Sam's Club right now. The deal starts Nov. 22.

75-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $799, plus $100 eGift card at Dell
You can find this set, the LG 75UM6970PUB, at a few other retailers for about $50 less, but it's a better deal at Dell if you can use the $100 eGift card. It's an entry-level 4K set. We didn't test this model, but we did evaluate its 70-inch sibling, which did well overall.

75-Inch LG Smart TV
The deal: $1,000 at Costco
You'll save only about $100 on this model, the LG 75UM8070PUA, which usually sells for about $1,100. We see this set only at Costco right now. The sale starts Nov. 22.

75-Inch Sony 4K Smart TV
The deal: $1,100 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Sony XBR-75X800G
You can get this Sony model at this price elsewhere. It performs well, but its HDR experience is only so-so.

75-Inch Samsung 4K QLED Smart TV
The deal: $1,500 at Best Buy
CR’s test results: Samsung QN75Q60RAFXZA
You guessed it—it's at this price, or a few dollars less, elsewhere. It performs similarly to other Q60R sets, with just a bit better HDR.

75-Inch Vizio 4K Smart TV
The deal: $1,700 at Costco
This is among the better deals we've seen. This TV, the Vizio PX75-G1, usually sells for about $2,200. It's a flagship model in Vizio's TV lineup. We tested the 65-inch version of this set, the Vizio PX65-G1, and it was top-notch for picture quality, including HDR. The deal starts Nov. 22.

75-Inch Samsung 4K QLED Smart TV
The deal: $2,000 at Best Buy
We didn't test this set, the Samsung QN75Q70RAFXZA, the larger version of the Q70R model above. It's $2,000 everywhere.

75-Inch Sony 4K Smart TV
The deal: $2,500 at Best Buy
We didn't test this model, the Sony XBR-75X950G, but it's priced the same at most retailers. Based on our experience with smaller versions, we expect it to do very well, because it's near the top of Sony's lineup.

77-Inch LG 4K OLED Smart TV
The deal: $4,950 at Costco and Sam's Club
This is one of the largest OLED TVs we've seen. You can buy the set—the LG OLED77C9AUB—at Costco right now at this price, well ahead of the sale's Nov. 18 kickoff. It's also at this price now at Sam's Club.

82-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $1,600 at Best Buy
We didn't test this set, LG 82UM8070PUA, but it's about $100 cheaper during Best Buy's sale than at other retailers right now.

85-Inch Sony 4K Smart TV
The deal: $3,000 at Best Buy
This Sony 2018 set, the Sony XBR-85X900F, is also this price at almost every other retailer. We didn't test this TV, but based on our experience with other X900F models, we expect it do very well in terms of overall picture quality.

86-Inch LG 4K Smart TV
The deal: $1,950 at Costco
The LG 86UM8070AUB is currently selling for $2,250. This sale starts Nov. 11, a bit earlier than most of the other deals. We saw this set offered for about the same price at the Sam's Club early Black Friday sale. The sale starts Nov. 22.

• Like 1

I would never waste money on an insignia or other random brands.

I remember buying a 32 inch samsung 720p back maybe 12 years ago for the same price I got a 55 inch sony 4k for a couple years ago.  There just is no reason to go with the worst brands when tvs are so affordable now a days.

I will say TCL is a good cost saver brand.  Better than vizio I think or at least on par.  I just got a 49 inch series 5 TCL for my bedroom and I like it so far.  It was was 289 a few months ago.  

Really gotta research these before you get sucked in by a low price.  TV"s are very complex now and you can end up getting a very poor quality TV for the money.

The size of the TV is all these cheap-o's represent to the public.   great, you mount a 75" cheap TV and the only way you can see anything is if you are sitting directly in front of it.

Pass

I have to admit that spending the $$ on something smaller but of higher quality is the win.

I have a couple situations where the viewing distance has me more or less locked into a size, and I am pretty cheap so I tend to go a size lower to get the right value,

Curved screen TVs sort of went by the wayside for the most part, right?  Or they didn't take off like some thought they would?

9 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

The deal:
 $400 at Costco

The deal: $750 at Costco

Costco is shaving about $150 off the price of this set, the Samsung UN75NU6950FXZA, yet another model in this popular TV series. It's $1,000 at Sam's Club right now. The deal starts Nov. 22.

I think i may consider one of those 3. I still have a 6 year old 55" cheapo tv as my main tv. It may last 1-2 more years.

Is it possible to get a dumb TV still? I just want the monitor part, i do not need/want any of the smart functionality.

These prices will continue for months.  Buy after Christmas.  China is filling ships with TVs right now to get ahead of tariffs.

24 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Really gotta research these before you get sucked in by a low price.  TV"s are very complex now and you can end up getting a very poor quality TV for the money.

The size of the TV is all these cheap-o's represent to the public.   great, you mount a 75" cheap TV and the only way you can see anything is if you are sitting directly in front of it.

Pass

Generally the TVs sold on Black Friday are closeouts of older models or they are new TVs specifically made just for Black Friday.  They tend to have a lower refresh rate, fewer inputs and poor contrast ratio.  Regardless of that, if you buy a Samsung, LG or Sony TV it's still going to be pretty good, especially for the price.

I'm hesitant on ever buying another tv because of the horrible experience in trying to get rid of it when it dies.  I have a few tvs just sitting around my garage because I can't get rid of them.

4 minutes ago, Snuff said:

I'm hesitant on ever buying another tv because of the horrible experience in trying to get rid of it when it dies.  I have a few tvs just sitting around my garage because I can't get rid of them.

Does your city to a pick up day at all?  My town does a pick up every year and I think it's like $10 for a tag to put on it.  Usually junk people will pick it up before the recycling people will though.

7 minutes ago, Snuff said:

Just smash it with a hammer and throw it in a roll-off and cover it with batteries and cans of paint.  

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Does your city to a pick up day at all?  My town does a pick up every year and I think it's like $10 for a tag to put on it.  Usually junk people will pick it up before the recycling people will though.

I'm not sure, I will have to check.  We just moved over the summer.  And yes, I hauled 2 broken ass tv's with us in the move....

On 11/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, fandandy said:

I'm not even sure they can be considered off-brand anymore.  They're near or at the top of a lot of the rankings I'm seeing.  There's a good chance I'll end up with one.  I like the built-in Roku, the only thing that scares me a little is the remote.  No number buttons?  What if I just want to turn it on real quick and watch channel 45.3 over the air?  How many clicks is it going to take me to get there?  

Rethinking the size of this tv considering I only sit about 4-5  foot away. 720 looks like sh!t when it's not an up close shot. I think I'm going to return for 42 inch. 

8 hours ago, Strike said:

Greentoe.com is your friend. 

Have you had much luck with them?  I have never even heard of them.

9 hours ago, Mookz said:

I'm not even sure they can be considered off-brand anymore.  They're near or at the top of a lot of the rankings I'm seeing.  There's a good chance I'll end up with one.  I like the built-in Roku, the only thing that scares me a little is the remote.  No number buttons?  What if I just want to turn it on real quick and watch channel 45.3 over the air?  How many clicks is it going to take me to get there?  

I'm unsure with TCL but just checked my Insignia remote which is similar but has a dedicated antenna button.  Two clicks (power, antenna) get me to the guide then I would need to scroll to the channel and click select.  

10 hours ago, Mookz said:

The remote does suck. 

But other than that I like my TCL.  From everything I had read before buying, they were routinely listed as best value.  Especially the 5 or 6 series.  

4 hours ago, fandandy said:

Have you had much luck with them?  I have never even heard of them.

I hadn't heard of them either until I started putting together my home theater a few months ago.  I did a bunch of research and found out they're legit.  Basically, the manufacturers of the products tell the retailers the lowest price they can advertise, even if the retailer is willing to sell the item cheaper.  When you make a bid on greentoe they send that bid out to a bunch of retailers and if any of those retailers is willing to sell at that price they work as the middle man for the sale.  This allows the retailer to honor their legal obligation to the manufacturer but still sell the item at a lower price.  I bought a high end TV and a high end receiver using Greentoe and I was able to get both at 20-30 percent less than their lowest price on any other site I found.  Both were very recently released models so they were still selling at or near their MSRP. elsewhere.  All the retailers are authorized sellers for the products.  This isn't grey market stuff.  If you google reviews on greentoe you'll find almost universally people have had a good experience with them. 

• Like 1