Cdub100

College Tuition and the absurdity of the education provided.

So I'm sitting here watching the Michigan vs Michigan State game when this MSU commercial comes on. Assuming this is a 3 credit course it will cost a student $3,631 to read comics. No wonder people are graduating with 100k in student loans and zero skills.

This is why we fall behind in the real world. I a out this all the time. My job is as an IT recruiter. My first search is always a United States citizen. That being said I often have to settle for an H1B  that is probably fake. Why? Because not enough kids are being prepared for a real world job.  They are taking classes about comics and underwater basketweaving for a general studies degree. Or a degree in philosophy.  These are not real world degrees. No one is going to give a shitt about that in the real world.

Your degree is not even what's gonna get you a job outside of the first one maybe. If I had to choose between a Harvard grad fresh out of college and Joe scmoe with 3 years experience on the job I'm taking joe every time.  

My sister in law makes 65k a year as a SLP and she had to go to school for her master's just to get an entry level job in her field. I make 60k base  plus unlimited commission that could push me to 100k...because I can sell an Eskimo ice.  Drives her insane  

It is insane that we don’t require the colleges to back student loans rather than the taxpayer. It would give them incentive to train their students so they can pay back the loan.

3 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

This is why we fall behind in the real world. I a out this all the time. My job is as an IT recruiter. My first search is always a United States citizen. That being said I often have to settle for an H1B  that is probably fake. Why? Because not enough kids are being prepared for a real world job.  They are taking classes about comics and underwater basketweaving for a general studies degree. Or a degree in philosophy.  These are not real world degrees. No one is going to give a shitt about that in the real world.

Your degree is not even what's gonna get you a job outside of the first one maybe. If I had to choose between a Harvard grad fresh out of college and Joe scmoe with 3 years experience on the job I'm taking joe every time.  

My sister in law makes 65k a year as a SLP and she had to go to school for her master's just to get an entry level job in her field. I make 60k base  plus unlimited commission that could push me to 100k...because I can sell an Eskimo ice.  Drives her insane  

People justify getting a college degree for absurd amounts of money because they think to themselves they want to find a fulfilling job.  Once they are out in the real world and find other things that fulfill themselves, the choice no longer makes any sense though and it becomes all about the money for a lot of people.

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

It is insane that we don’t require the colleges to back student loans rather than the taxpayer. It would give them incentive to train their students so they can pay back the loan.

They won't do that because not all jobs offer equal pay.  So under your system, colleges would push for maximum efficiency by eliminating all programs except those that pay the highest wages.

12 minutes ago, riversco said:

They won't do that because not all jobs offer equal pay.  So under your system, colleges would push for maximum efficiency by eliminating all programs except those that pay the highest wages.

It sounds like a good place to start.

Demtards stealing from the rich while indoctrinating / grooming them into future Libtards

22 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Yep.  That's why countries like China are eating our lunch.  America's best days are behind her.  

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/niallmccarthy/files/2017/02/20170202_STEM.jpg

Wait til they take an insurmountable lead in AI.

23 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

For some reason, I'm suddenly interested in this ice you sell.

Damn...you're good.

• Thanks 1