Sign in to follow this  
2020 Baseball Hall of Fame/Modern Era ballots...

Returning players
Curt Schilling — 60.9% (8th year)
Roger Clemens — 59.5% (8th year)
Barry Bonds — 59.1% (8th year)
Larry Walker — 54.6% (10th year)
Omar Vizquel — 42.8% (3rd year)
Manny Ramírez — 22.8% (4th year)
Jeff Kent — 18.1% (7th year)
Scott Rolen — 17.2% (3rd year)
Billy Wagner —16.7% (5th year)
Todd Helton — 16.5% (2nd year)
Gary Sheffield — 13.6% (6th year)
Andy Pettitte — 9.9% (2nd year)
Sammy Sosa — 8.5% (8th year)
Andruw Jones — 7.5% (3rd year)

New players
Bobby Abreu
Josh Beckett
Heath Bell
Eric Chávez
Adam Dunn
Chone Figgins
Rafael Furcal
Jason Giambi
Raúl Ibañez
Derek Jeter
Paul Konerko
Cliff Lee
Carlos Peña
Brad Penny
J.J. Putz
Brian Roberts
Alfonso Soriano
José Valverde

Curt Schilling needs to be in. 

Jeter looks like the only shoe-in.  Schilling will probably still be kept out because of his political views.  Still not sure enough people have forgiven Bonds and Clemens for their roid usage.  

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Jeter looks like the only shoe-in.  Schilling will probably still be kept out because of his political views.  Still not sure enough people have forgiven Bonds and Clemens for their roid usage.  

I've made my position on those 2 pretty clear, so no need to rehash that, but I think there are probably a contingent of writers who are just staying active in the BBWAA just to keep those two out.   Only need 25% to be just as stubborn as me, seems doable. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Derek should be unanimous. 

Now that Mariano has broken that barrier, I think it will start happening more and more, so I could see Jeter getting 100%

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Now that Mariano has broken that barrier, I think it will start happening more and more, so I could see Jeter getting 100%

He is the greatest SS of all time. I shouid say the modern era. Honus Wagner  is the Goat, but that's a long, long time ago. 

Jeter should make the HoF for scoring chicks and making them smile with a gift basket when he bailed on them.  For baseball he is in the Hall of Very Good.  Oh he'll make it because he was the Yankee shortstop when they were winning (with a little help from some other players), but stop with this unanimous crap.  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Jeter should make the HoF for scoring chicks and making them smile with a gift basket when he bailed on them.  For baseball he is in the Hall of Very Good.  Oh he'll make it because he was the Yankee shortstop when they were winning (with a little help from some other players), but stop with this unanimous crap.  :rolleyes:

It is still a shame that Mariano Rivera was the first unanimous player elected to the Hall...

1 minute ago, posty said:

It is still a shame that Mariano Rivera was the first unanimous player elected to the Hall...

Absurd that the first unanimous players weren't in the first class---baseball writers.  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Be nice if you backed it up with a better SS. Hall of very good. Please. Vizquel should get in as well. 

If Ripken got nearly 99 pct of the vote, Jeter gets 100. Case closed. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

Jeter obviously................... and I'm okay with Pettitte too.

how can pettitte get in before Rodger

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If Ripken got nearly 99 pct of the vote, Jeter gets 100. Case closed. 

Technically, I think the case remains open until the votes are counted.  

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

how can pettitte get in before Rodger

Yea I know the controversy - and it has merit.

Maybe my understanding is off, but didn't Pettitte use them only for a short time - to rehab his elbow?

Bonds, Rog and the rest were clearly doing it, for prolonged times - to gain competitive advantages... Idk, maybe they should all be considered the same - and I'm okay with that too.

Most hits in the History of baseball:

Pete Rose

Ty Cobb

Hank Aaron

Stan Musial 

Tris Speaker

Derek Jeter

Hall of very good! Ha  dumbest thing said today. Digby34 hasn't posted yet, so there's time  lol  

I'm hoping Lou Whitaker gets in on the Modern Baseball Era ballot. It was a sham he wasn't on the ballot long enough to even get a debate.

And seeing as it's all about on base percentage these days, Jeters was .377. Highest ever for a shortstop. He also has the most multi hit games of any player. Ever. Correction: He's fourth. Behind Rose, Musial and Aaron. Hall of very good? 

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm hoping Lou Whitaker gets in on the Modern Baseball Era ballot. It was a sham he wasn't on the ballot long enough to even get a debate.

Brewer fan from way back and I can verify Whitaker deserves to be in the HOF too.  His numbers are nearly identical to Sandberg's and Lou has a ring.   

Pettite shouldn't get in. He makes his mark in the post season, and he threw up a few clunkers there. Would have won the CY Young in 1996 but he had a couple of disasterous innings against Baltimore that rat focked his ERA. 

Jeter is the only one 

what I dont get is that if you are going to vote yes on Bonds and Clemens (I dont care either way anymore, the HOF is a joke once Harold Baines got in), then Manny and Sosa should be on all those same ballots as well

I cant understand voting 

Bonds yes

Clemens yes

Manny no

Sosa no

to me its all of them or none

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Brewer fan from way back and I can verify Whitaker deserves to be in the HOF too.  His numbers are nearly identical to Sandberg's and Lou has a ring.   

He holds up very well when comparing him to other HOFers. He's not the best nor is he the worst. He's right there in the middle of 2nd basemen currently in the HOF. And IMO he was better than Trammell.

• Like 1

The only lock is Jeter.  There's no way he gets less than 98% of the votes.

Larry Walker and Curt Schilling will probably get in too.

I think Vizquel has a shot.  Will be interesting if Bonds and Clemens get in.

No love for Vizquel? Wow. Best fielding SS of his generation and could hit as well. Played on a lot of winning teams. If Ozzie could make it on his glove alone so can OV. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

No love for Vizquel? Wow. Best fielding SS of his generation and could hit as well. Played on a lot of winning teams. If Ozzie could make it on his glove alone so can OV. 

If he's ever going to make it, this is the year. The weak class helps his case a ton.

I've no problem with his getting in - but I know how little the writers value defensive geniuses.

Fock the MLB Hall of Fame until Rose gets in.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

If he's ever going to make it, this is the year. The weak class helps his case a ton.

I've no problem with his getting in - but I know how little the writers value defensive geniuses.

True, but he got around so a lot of writers did get to see how good he was day to day. He's a guy you have to see a lot to appreciate. Judging him on numbers alone doesn't show his value. Him and Alomar were incredible together. Best I've ever seen. And now with all the shifting we probably won't ever see anything like it again. Hate the shift. 

2 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I have a real issue with this statement, I mean its true, its just stupid to me

Ozzie should never have been in the HOF either

2 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Fock the MLB Hall of Fame until Rose gets in.  

Fock Pete Rose, hes not even the best player not in the HOF due to gambling

and hes a POS, one of the biggest I have ever met

17 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Most hits in the History of baseball:

Pete Rose

Ty Cobb

Hank Aaron

Stan Musial 

Tris Speaker

Derek Jeter

Hall of very good! Ha  dumbest thing said today. Digby34 hasn't posted yet, so there's time  lol  

It blows me away that Hank Aaron(true HR King) was such a great hitter all-around.   If you subtracted his 755 HR's, he would still have over 3000 hits!  

Anyway, this was part of an article in The Athletic(need a subscription, so no link), but pretty much sums up your thoughts.

Because now that we’ve finally moved beyond the embarrassing Babe Ruth wasn’t unanimous, Willie Mays wasn’t unanimous, so how can anybody be unanimous era of Hall voting, we’ve finally extinguished the dopiest tradition in sports. Once the unanimity train leaves the depot, there’s no turning back. Right? (Correct answer: Right!)

Because there’s no defensible reason not to vote for Jeter. I don’t care if you think he was overrated. I don’t care if you think he’s been a lousy owner in Miami. I don’t care if you’re a Mets fan or a Red Sox fan. We’re talking about a man who got more hits (3,465) and scored more runs (1,923) than any shortstop in history. We’re talking about a man who compiled 72.4 Wins Above Replacement, more than Ernie Banks, Barry Larkin, Alan Trammell, Joe Cronin, Lou Boudreau and 12 other Hall of Fame shortstops. We’re talking about a man who got 200 postseason hits (in 158 games) and hit .400 or better in 10 different postseason series. What exactly would cause any sane voter to leave Jeter off his or her ballot? It was only 12 years ago that eight voters convinced themselves not to vote for Cal Ripken Jr. That was pathetic. Let’s do better this time, OK?

• Like 1

Isn't there a large circle that believe that Rose isn't in because he made an agreement with MLB to not fight it publicly in exchange for not releasing the information about him and young girls

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Isn't there a large circle that believe that Rose isn't in because he made an agreement with MLB to not fight it publicly in exchange for not releasing the information about him and young girls

I’m sure Rose and Epstein are buddies

Chone Figgins should make HOF simply for lucking into having Mariners pay him a sh1t ton of money while doing absolute jack sh1t. 

13 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Rose will get in after he dies. Why don't people understand this?