Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

Orlando getting MLB team?

They should get the Marlins or Rays, not an expansion team...

The only reason to go to 32 teams would be to get rid of interleague play...

6 minutes ago, posty said:

They should expand to 32 and get rid of inter league play. Not sure why anyone would consider Orlando for a team though. Montreal, the Carolinas, San Antonio, Portland, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City etc. would all be better options.

Yeah, it almost certainly will be tied to the Marlins or Rays.  Maybe splitting time.  Most likely the Rays, IMO, because Tampa is a little more than an hour from Orlando.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

They should expand to 32 and get rid of inter league play. Not sure why anyone would consider Orlando for a team though. Montreal, the Carolinas, San Antonio, Portland, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City etc. would all be better options.

Charlotte and Nashville minor league teams averaged nearly as many fans as Miami.  I would think Charlotte would be the #1 option.

Miami and Tampa are the bottom 2 in the MLB in attendance in both 2018 and 2019. Going back to 2013, they are in the bottom 4 each year.

18 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Charlotte and Nashville minor league teams averaged nearly as many fans as Miami.  I would think Charlotte would be the #1 option.

I read one of the issues is that Charlotte has a newish minor league ballpark that’s not big enough to support a minor league team. Not insurmountable but an issue.

SC might be an option too.

39 minutes ago, posty said:

I support the elimination of interleague play. 

• Thanks 1

My guess is the Rays splitting time in Tampa and Orlando. 

Orlando Bay, Mickey Rays

45 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I support the elimination of interleague play. 

#metoo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Miami and Tampa are the bottom 2 in the MLB in attendance in both 2018 and 2019. Going back to 2013, they are in the bottom 4 each year.

Portland I believe is the highest attendance in the minors

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Portland I believe is the highest attendance in the minors

I would enjoy Portland getting a MLB team just so that we have another SEA/PDX rivalry.  Of course I'm sure Portland would quickly make the playoffs while the Mariners continue to suck ass. 

I remember reading that Russell Wilson is part of an investment group trying to bring MLB to PDX. 

If the MLB wants to add 2 new teams, then before they even take that step, the must re-align.  They need to swap Miami to the AL for Tampa to go to the NL.  The Rays are being hurt by being in Tampa, which has been the home of their division rival Yankees, longer than the Rays have been in existence.  If that swap fails, then Tampa needs to move out of Florida completely.  They can play all of their games in Montreal - if that's MLB's city in Canada, that they want to target.  At that point, you can add a team in Charlotte and then another out west... either Portland or Vegas (which were the cities I've heard about in the past).  If Orlando wants a team, then the Marlins should move there.  There's no reason for 2 teams in Florida since the whole state in full of transients and fans of other teams.

10 minutes ago, DonS said:

I would enjoy Portland getting a MLB team just so that we have another SEA/PDX rivalry.  Of course I'm sure Portland would quickly make the playoffs while the Mariners continue to suck ass. 

I remember reading that Russell Wilson is part of an investment group trying to bring MLB to PDX. 

Were the Blazers and Sonics a rivalry? 

12 minutes ago, DonS said:

They had a team. It was called the Portland Mavericks and was owned by Bing Russell, Kurt Russell’s dad. They have a documentary on it called Battered Bastards of Baseball on Netflix. Great doc. 

and Orlando has a good bit of spring training fields down there. I know we played on the braves one back in the day. 

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

Were the Blazers and Sonics a rivalry? 

Can't say for certain as I was never into NBA.  MLS rivalry is strong. 

Inter league play can still be fun for fans in cities or states with a team in each.  Mets/Yanks, Cubs/Sox, Angels/Dodgers, Cardinals/Royals

It also allows fans around the country to see their favorite marquis players from other teams play in person.  

I don't mind it.  

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

They had a team. It was called the Portland Mavericks and was owned by Bing Russell, Kurt Russell’s dad. They have a documentary on it called Battered Bastards of Baseball on Netflix. Great doc. 

Interesting. Will need to check it out.  Thx. 

Just now, DonS said:

Interesting. Will need to check it out.  Thx. 

I think you’ll enjoy it. Shows the struggles of an independent team trying to play in the majors 

Sadly, MLB is likely to move to the DH league-wide.  At that point, the current setup the divisions and league play will become obsolete.  They should just move to an NFL style with two-4 team conferences where you play one non-conference division each year.

21 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sadly, MLB is likely to move to the DH league-wide. 

I hope this never happens in my lifetime...  I know it will, but I am holding out hope...

31 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sadly, MLB is likely to move to the DH league-wide.  At that point, the current setup the divisions and league play will become obsolete.  They should just move to an NFL style with two-4 team conferences where you play one non-conference division each year.

Players association will never go for getting rid of the DH and the job security for fat guys who can still mash but not play the field anymore.   Also I seem to recall some evidence showing the AL benefits in match-ups because of the regular use of a DH.  That being the case, inevitability and leveling the playing field, I'd propose doing it the same way it was done in little league---with a batting order of 10 players.   You add the DH bat, but the pitcher still has to hit.  Baseball owners get more offense, home runs, playing field is level between leagues, but there is still a level of strategy to managing the game. 

That would be my compromise that will never happen and instead we will get extra innings starting with a guy on 2nd and mid-game home run contests.  :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'd propose doing it the same way it was done in little league---with a batting order of 10 players.   You add the DH bat, but the pitcher still has to hit. 

I would have no problem with this change...

1 hour ago, posty said:

I hope this never happens in my lifetime...  I know it will, but I am holding out hope...

#metoo

4 hours ago, DonS said:

imagine the sh1t and needles they could collect daily!

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Players association will never go for getting rid of the DH and the job security for fat guys who can still mash but not play the field anymore.   Also I seem to recall some evidence showing the AL benefits in match-ups because of the regular use of a DH.  That being the case, inevitability and leveling the playing field, I'd propose doing it the same way it was done in little league---with a batting order of 10 players.   You add the DH bat, but the pitcher still has to hit.  Baseball owners get more offense, home runs, playing field is level between leagues, but there is still a level of strategy to managing the game. 

That would be my compromise that will never happen and instead we will get extra innings starting with a guy on 2nd and mid-game home run contests.  :rolleyes:

If the players union were smart, they'd ask for a salary cap and be willing to give up the DH for it.  They'd benefit much better from that than they would for wanting league-wide DH.

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This should disqualify them permanently.

They said it’s a nod to Walt but sounds more like a nod to illegals lol

Orlando Miracle would’ve been better. Still fits the city theme and sounds better imo. 

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

They said it’s a nod to Walt but sounds more like a nod to illegals lol

Exactly.  If it were a nod to Walt, it would be a name associated with imagination.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Exactly.  If it were a nod to Walt, it would be a name associated with imagination.

Orlando Miracle would’ve been okay 

Or the Magic and have the baseball Magic and basketball Magic like how NY does it.