Sign in to follow this  
2019-20 MLB Off-Season...

23 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

7-245 wow 

baseball is so gross.

7 years. Wow. Yanks about to do the same thing if Cole lets them. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

7 years. Wow. Yanks about to do the same thing if Cole lets them. 

get a good what, 3 maybe 4 years before he throws as hard as Greg Maddox

18 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

7-245 wow 

Good for Stras, but man that seems like that they could have taken some of that cash and tried to keep Rendon as well...

32 minutes ago, posty said:

Good for Stras, but man that seems like that they could have taken some of that cash and tried to keep Rendon as well...

80 million deferred.... they are still after Rendon 

The Rangers still think they are players in the Rendon sweepstakes.

There's no way in hell he comes to this dumpster fire of a team. But it's funny to see so many believe it.

Rangers' ownership/management sure did a number on the fans here - and they bought it hook, line and sinker.

Didi signing with Phillies. One year deal. Yanks should make an offer if he’s willing to take one year.  

21 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

MLB removed weed from banned substances. Happy dance

NFL will be tripping over themselves to follow

The Dodgers are said to be shifting focus to Madison Bumgarner.  Rumored contract is 5 years $100 million.  There's also still rumors of a Kluber trade with the Indians (and a Lindor trade) that involves SS Gavin Lux.  Local LA sports talk keeps mentioning Lux as trade bait every day.

17 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Crippling

Couid be. I'm shocked that Price still has 3 years left at 32 per. Seems like he's been in Boston forever. 

On 12/4/2019 at 2:46 PM, Cruzer said:

Hamels is a standup, outstanding character guy. He and his wife do amazing community work wherever he's at.

I really wanted Hamels back in Philly for one year but $18m seems like a lot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Couid be. I'm shocked that Price still has 3 years left at 32 per. Seems like he's been in Boston forever. 

No team option and full no trade clause... I'm not in. This guarantees Sanchez is gone and it will be tough to make judge and gleyber lifers

3 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

No team option and full no trade clause... I'm not in. This guarantees Sanchez is gone and it will be tough to make judge and gleyber lifers

Sanchez has a short shelf life as a catcher. And Stanton will be around clogging up DH for a while. Sanchez was doomed either way. This deal will feel good for a couple of years and then it won't. 

Cole and Stras contracts nearly identical when age is factored. Yanks still a starter shy of being a serious contender. My guess is they aren't done there. Plus Judge will need signing at some point. 

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sanchez has a short shelf life as a catcher. And Stanton will be around clogging up DH for a while. Sanchez was doomed either way. This deal will feel good for a couple of years and then it won't. 

All of these long term deals feel that way anymore.  You gotta pay up to sign these guy which means keeping them around forever or at least well past their peak.  I would almost rather pay a guy like Cole 60 million per year for 5 years and get him off the books than pay him 30+ for nine years and have him in the "2019 Miguel Cabrera or Singlio Ordonez at the end of his deal" stage in life.

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Cole and Stras contracts nearly identical when age is factored. Yanks still a starter shy of being a serious contender. My guess is they aren't done there. Plus Judge will need signing at some point. 

So they aren't a serious contender? Want to rethink that? They won 100 games last year. 

Just now, patweisers44 said:

All of these long term deals feel that way anymore.  You gotta pay up to sign these guy which means keeping them around forever or at least well past their peak.  I would almost rather pay a guy like Cole 60 million per year for 5 years and get him off the books than pay him 30+ for nine years and have him in the "2019 Miguel Cabrera or Singlio Ordonez at the end of his deal" stage in life.

I agree. But we aren't factoring in the luxury tax and the different tiers.  It's actually cheaper to give him more spread out. If you front load that money you just end up paying the tax and funding your rivals. Still crazy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So they aren't a serious contender? Want to rethink that? They won 100 games last year. 

The AL was woeful. The Yanks were certainly one of the "haves", still a long way from being a serious contender for a WS. And what they did even shocked themselves. A one off.

17 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The AL was woeful. The Yanks were certainly one of the "haves", still a long way from being a serious contender for a WS. And what they did even shocked themselves. A one off.

They've been to the ALCS 2 of the last three years. No one was shocked. You're making that up. 

Adam Jones signs a 2 year, $8 million deal with Japan's Orix Buffaloes.

2 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Adam Jones signs a 2 year, $8 million deal with Japan's Orix Buffaloes.

I heard that this morning on 98 Rock...  I wonder why he is going to Japan?  Do you know if there is a reason behind this?

14 minutes ago, posty said:

I heard that this morning on 98 Rock...  I wonder why he is going to Japan?  Do you know if there is a reason behind this?

Nope, just heard it this morning as well.  I'm assuming it's for the cash, and the fact that he was barely able to latch on with a MLB team last year.  There goes another exclusive.  :(

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I agree. But we aren't factoring in the luxury tax and the different tiers.  It's actually cheaper to give him more spread out. If you front load that money you just end up paying the tax and funding your rivals. Still crazy

Yeah, my idea certainly does not take into account the Luxury tax.  Its just from the standpoint of how palatable a deal is.  I would feel better paying a Cy Young winner 60 million than I would paying a guy 30 million to go 12-11 with a 4+ ERA as a 39 year old on the tail end of one of these deals.

I am a Tigers fan, the luxury tax does not compute to me.  :lol:

Rangers trade OF Nomar Mazara to White Sox for prospect

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28271707/rangers-trade-nomar-mazara-white-sox-prospect

SAN DIEGO -- The Chicago White Sox acquired right fielder Nomar Mazara from the Texas Rangers for minor league outfielder Steele Walker on Tuesday night.

The clubs announced the deal at baseball's annual winter meetings.

Mazara, 24, has tantalizing power but produced mixed results over his first four big league seasons. The 6-foot-4 slugger batted .268 with 19 home runs, 66 RBIs and a .786 OPS this year.

"He looks like he's 7-foot every time I see him in the box," White Sox manager Rick Renteria said earlier Tuesday. "Runs extremely well for a big guy. Can defend. Good arm. Brings a lot of qualities to the plate. Can pop one in the seats as quickly as anybody."

Mazara projects to make about $5.5 million in arbitration and is eligible for free agency after the 2021 season.

Walker was a second-round draft pick out of the University of Oklahoma in 2018. He batted .284 with 10 homers and 62 RBIs across two Class A teams in his first full pro season.

"He is a really good hitter, with both power and an advanced approach, and has an aggressive, winning, on-field makeup," said Jon Daniels, Texas' president of baseball operations.

11 minutes ago, posty said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28271707/rangers-trade-nomar-mazara-white-sox-prospect

SAN DIEGO -- The Chicago White Sox acquired right fielder Nomar Mazara from the Texas Rangers for minor league outfielder Steele Walker on Tuesday night.

Low level moneyball move. Mazara is unbelievably consistent, but hasn't matured like they hoped. He also only sees a full count about 1 out of 6 PAs.  (Soto for comparison is under 1 out of 4) So they dump salary for a guy who might never make the bigs. 

4 hours ago, posty said:

The clubs announced the deal at baseball's annual winter meetings.

Mazara, 24, has tantalizing power but produced mixed results over his first four big league seasons. The 6-foot-4 slugger batted .268 with 19 home runs, 66 RBIs and a .786 OPS this year.

"He looks like he's 7-foot every time I see him in the box," White Sox manager Rick Renteria said earlier Tuesday. "Runs extremely well for a big guy. Can defend. Good arm. Brings a lot of qualities to the plate. Can pop one in the seats as quickly as anybody."

Mazara projects to make about $5.5 million in arbitration and is eligible for free agency after the 2021 season.

Walker was a second-round draft pick out of the University of Oklahoma in 2018. He batted .284 with 10 homers and 62 RBIs across two Class A teams in his first full pro season.

"He is a really good hitter, with both power and an advanced approach, and has an aggressive, winning, on-field makeup," said Jon Daniels, Texas' president of baseball operations.

A lot Rangers homers are upset with this.... I'm actually happy - one of the few moves JD has made that makes any sense.

Mazara was well liked, a fan favorite. As he advanced thru our farm system - he was quickly dubbed a future star.

* Never lived up to the hype - very quiet, no intensity, low blood pressure outwardly presence.

* At 6'4", 218 lbs. - extreme underachieving OPS #s for a guy with his frame, from a power LF position... Especially in this park, a hitters mecca.  

* Horrible, absolute liability in the field.. Huge arm, but no speed, no athleticism - just a pig in the field.

* Mazara was signed thru 2020 - for what it would have taken to resign him, not worth the investment. Better to let him go early, than too late.

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Low level moneyball move. Mazara is unbelievably consistent, but hasn't matured like they hoped. He also only sees a full count about 1 out of 6 PAs.  (Soto for comparison is under 1 out of 4) So they dump salary for a guy who might never make the bigs. 

that was definitely a sneaky great move  

38 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

that was definitely a sneaky great move  

If you are talking about Walker, there is some intrigue there. Only 2 seasons in the minors, the first was dud, the second a huge improvement. Has some pop, walks a fair share, has some speed, and is probably a decent outfielder. He may get an invite to spring training. 

26 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

If you are talking about Walker, there is some intrigue there. Only 2 seasons in the minors, the first was dud, the second a huge improvement. Has some pop, walks a fair share, has some speed, and is probably a decent outfielder. He may get an invite to spring training. 

No I'm saying mazara

White Sox are becoming good fast

Any thoughts on Didi to the Phillies? The infield will look a little weird. I’d much prefer Kingery at 2B. On the other hand, should be a massive upgrade over Cesar and Franco. And at 1 year there’s no risk.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

Any thoughts on Didi to the Phillies? The infield will look a little weird. I’d much prefer Kingery at 2B. On the other hand, should be a massive upgrade over Cesar and Franco. And at 1 year there’s no risk.

That is the great thing about the one-year deal, if they don't like him, or he sucks, he can be kicked to the curb...

Personally the Phillies problem is starting pitching and that is what they should be targeting IMO...

2 minutes ago, posty said:

That is the great thing about the one-year deal, if they don't like him, or he sucks, he can be kicked to the curb...

Personally the Phillies problem is starting pitching and that is what they should be targeting IMO...

The Wheeler deal is looking better and better in light of some other contracts. 

Just now, MDC said:

The Wheeler deal is looking better and better in light of some other contracts. 

Very true...  Of course Wheeler is probably kicking himself because if he waited, he would have scored a bigger contract...