edjr

If there were no term limits for POTUS - Who would be the current POTUS?

GW Bush?  Same age as Trump.

Obummer? Trump would not have beat him.

There’s a reason we don’t have that. OBummer would have this country run into the ground if he stayed in power 

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

Obungler 3rd term probably.

You're assuming he'd have beaten Bush?

Maybe Reagan would have been there until he died?

It should be two terms 6 years each.  You can’t get anything done in 8 years. I actually kind of think term limits are stupid for President. He’s ultimately at the will of the senate and house anyways. 

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

It should be two terms 6 years each.  You can’t get anything done in 8 years. I actually kind of think term limits are stupid for President. He’s ultimately at the will of the senate and house anyways. 

We all know the senate and congress is where the term limits need to be and Judges too

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, edjr said:

We all know the senate and congress is where the term limits need to be and Judges too

The Supreme court has term limits. Death

37 minutes ago, edjr said:

Senate and Congress should have term limits I think, but not president or judges. There needs to some consistency and if we’re replacing our entire government every half decade the swings each way will be to big, IMO. Our Supreme Court is the only thing keeping this country afloat right now. 

We would also need to change how campaigns are funded and how much can be spent.  The power is going to be somewhere and with term limits it would be with the donor class even more than it is now.  At least a politician is relatively accountable.  

16 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

The Supreme court has term limits. Death

That is called TERMinal Limits

57 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Huh? Trump has gotten plenty done in 3 years. Just think what could've been accomplished if he'd had a cooperative Congress interested in doing what was best for the country. 

Congress needs term limits, no question. 

6 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Huh? Trump has gotten plenty done in 3 years. Just think what could've been accomplished if he'd had a cooperative Congress interested in doing what was best for the country. 

Congress needs term limits, no question. 

I disagree he could do a lot more than he has.  

I just don’t think 8 years is long enough. By the time you really feel the effects of that President, they are gone. Two 6 year terms seems better to me. 

George Washington was considered one of our greatest presidents.  I don't see why he wouldn't still be in there today.  :dunno:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

i guess we can start with 1980.  reagan beats carter, mondale.  1988 reagan beats dukakis but i doubt he runs for a 4th term as his alzeimers is probably noticeable in 1991.  1992 is bush vs clinton.   the economy probably doesnt tank because reagan doesnt let greenspan push him around during the s&l crisis.  bush beats clinton.  1996 is bush the elder vs al gore.    bush wins again.  bush is probably too old to run in 2000.  because hillary clinton is a nobody, jfk jr runs for the new york senate seat and wins.  because this alters events, he never flies that plane that day that kills him.  2000 is bob dole vs john kerry and GOP fatigue plus the dotcom crash pushes kerry over the top.   jfk jr becomes a political superstar from his senate seat and threatens to overshadow president kerry.  but 911 unites the nation behind kerry.  2004 is kerry vs mccain and kerry wins.  then the economy goes bad in 2008 and kerry is very weak.  jfk jr enters the 2008 race and kerry declines to run again.  2008 is jfk jr vs romney and jfk jr wins a close race.  the economy rebounds.  jfk jr wins reelection in landslides in both 2012 and 2016. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I just don’t think 8 years is long enough. By the time you really feel the effects of that President, they are gone. Two 6 year terms seems better to me. 

He could do it by fiat like the last guy but then he'd be no better than the last guy.

Just because he hasn't done everything you want him to have done, doesn't mean he hasn't done quite a bit. He's actually accomplished some good things for the country. We, as a country, are better off than we were when he took office. 

I don't disagree with extending the term for POTUS to 6 years. I just disagree with your statement that you can't accomplish anything in 4 years. You absolutely can if everybody is pulling in the same direction. 

17 minutes ago, riversco said:

i guess we can start with 1980.  reagan beats carter, mondale.  1988 reagan beats dukakis but i doubt he runs for a 4th term as his alzeimers is probably noticeable in 1991.  1992 is bush vs clinton.   the economy probably doesnt tank because reagan doesnt let greenspan push him around during the s&l crisis.  bush beats clinton.  1996 is bush the elder vs al gore.    bush wins again.  bush is probably too old to run in 2000.  because hillary clinton is a nobody, jfk jr runs for the new york senate seat and wins.  because this alters events, he never flies that plane that day that kills him.  2000 is bob dole vs john kerry and GOP fatigue plus the dotcom crash pushes kerry over the top.   jfk jr becomes a political superstar from his senate seat and threatens to overshadow president kerry.  but 911 unites the nation behind kerry.  2004 is kerry vs mccain and kerry wins.  then the economy goes bad in 2008 and kerry is very weak.  jfk jr enters the 2008 race and kerry declines to run again.  2008 is jfk jr vs romney and jfk jr wins a close race.  the economy rebounds.  jfk jr wins reelection in landslides in both 2012 and 2016. 

woah.  I like the effort. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

GW Bush?  Same age as Trump.

Obummer? Trump would not have beat him.

2 of our worst Presidents ever!

52 minutes ago, riversco said:

I think you have to start a lot sooner than Reagan.  You have to go back to Racist-in-Chief FDR because he was the president who put in the term limits.  It's possible that Eisenhower wins 3 terms and finishes in 1965.  If that happens, it's possible that he beats Kennedy in 1961 and Kennedy never becomes president.  Maybe Nixon wins in 1965 and has 2 terms.  Looking back, LBJ would never have had Kennedy killed (I believe that's what happened), and we never go to Vietnam.  That's a pretty massive change of events for this country.  If that happens, there's probably never a Watergate incident.  If that doesn't happen, how many terms does Nixon get?  Does a Democrat ever get elected?  Maybe we go right from Eisenhower (1953-1965), to Nixon (1965-1977), to Gerald Ford (1977-1981) [I think they'll have to be a Democrat in there somewhere to screw the whole thing up], Reagan (1981-1993), to GB1 (1993-2001)... who then?  Maybe Bill in '01 to '09?  I don't think so.  I think after GB1 it's a total crap shoot.

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I'd go one ten tear term. Maybe a vote of confidence election after five years. Meaning the voters could vote the president back in or out, alone on the ballot. If he's out, another election would be held.

And I would put a max age of 55 as of innaugeratuon day. Sick of all these doddering old focks. 

Jimmy Carter

Interesting thought question.

I’ll go with Eisenhower gets a third term. Kennedy after him but not lbj and therefore no Kennedy death :lol:.  From there no Nixon, no Ford, no Carter etc.

Your current President is some guy we never heard of who came up in the right time and circumstances for this alternative universe.

6 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Says the guy now that Trump is in the office :lol:

6 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Senate and Congress should have term limits I think, but not president or judges. There needs to some consistency and if we’re replacing our entire government every half decade the swings each way will be to big, IMO. Our Supreme Court is the only thing keeping this country afloat right now. 

Dumb we need Supreme Court term limits so every nomination isn’t a fight to the death.

But they should be long, like 18 years

1 hour ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

no term limit?

I’m going with Wayne LaPierre.

Yeah that makes sense.

Some weirdo plastic surgery overdone creep that’s never won ANY election would win em all.

Good call.

Its also interesting to go back and look at where every president was in their life at certain points in time. 

In 1970, Nixon was president, Gerald Ford was House minority leader, Jimmy Carter was a former Georgia State Senator who lost a bid for governor of Georgia and was currently a deeply-in-debt peanut farmer running for governor a second time (which he would win) , Ronald Reagan was serving his second term as governor of California, George H. W. Bush was in the US House of Representatives from Texas and resigned that seat to run for US Senate (which he would lose to LLoyd Bentsen whom would face him as the democrat veep candidate in 1988) and then Nixon appointed him as US Ambassador to the UN after his senate election loss, Bill Clinton was a Georgetown graduate attending Oxford in England on a Rhodes scholarship (he would not meet Hillary until 1971), George W. Bush was a Yale grad in the Texas Air National Guard, Barack Obama was 9 years old living in a wealthy area of Jakarta attending an indonesian-language school, Donald Trump was working at his father Fred Trump's real estate firm (E. Trump & Son) and was working on helping his dad turn around the Swifton Village property in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Donald would not take over his father's company until 1971).

Of the 2020 candidates, Pete Buttigieg was not born yet (1982), Joe Biden was serving on the New Castle (Rhode Island) City Council, Elizabeth Warren was teaching children with disabilities in a public school, Bernie Sanders had been a University of Chicago grad for 6 years and was enjoying rural life doing odd jobs in northern Vermont, Michael Bloomberg's status is unknown, as he had graduated with an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1966 and became a general partner at Salomon Brothers in 1973, Andrew Yang was not born yet (1975).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, riversco said:

At what point is jfkjr shot?

13 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah that makes sense.

Some weirdo plastic surgery overdone creep that’s never won ANY election would win em all.

Good call.

Gun owners elect people.  NRA (and US Chamber) money are two of the most powerful factors in congressional longevity.  Why wouldn’t you expect that for the presidency?  

(Ok, maybe they put up someone other than Wayne ... but Trump certainly showed that winning a previous election isn’t all that.)

16 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Came up with it all on my own :wub:

21 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’ll go with Eisenhower gets a third term. Kennedy after him but not lbj and therefore no Kennedy death :lol:.  From there no Nixon, no Ford, no Carter etc.

Your current President is some guy we never heard of who came up in the right time and circumstances for this alternative universe.

This could be a monumental decision.  Kennedy did not want to get involved in Vietnam.  If he doesn't win or he wins and doesn't have LBJ, we may never have gone.  I do think though, that Nixon probably gets in after Eisenhower at that point though.  Doesn't mean Kennedy couldn't have won next though.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:00 PM, riversco said:

eisenhower had a heart attack in 1955 and then a stroke in 1957.  we would never run in 1960. 

Elected in '53, heart attack in '55... in '57, he had a stroke and won re-election.  You don't think he'd have gone for a 3rd term in '60?  Why?

Rather than term limits on elected officials it would be better to change the voting laws.  Everyone being able to vote just because they are alive is incredibly stupid. 

For President, one term for six years...

If you want a second term, you have to do like Virginia governor and wait at least one term to run again...

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Elected in '53, heart attack in '55... in '57, he had a stroke and won re-election.  You don't think he'd have gone for a 3rd term in '60?  Why?

He was elected in 52.  Heart attack in 55.  Re-elected in 56. Stroke in 57.  I think heart attack + stroke means he doesnt run in 60.

1 hour ago, posty said:

For President, one term for six years...

If you want a second term, you have to do like Virginia governor and wait at least one term to run again...

I'd be ok with a one and done 8-year term.  But that's after Trump wins in 2020, 2024, 2028, and 2032.