Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Dalvin Cook says he is fine....Dr. Chao disagrees

Cook sounds optimistic, but not unusual for players to do that. Only time will tell, but this almost has a Conner/Howard feel to it. ~Stonewall

Downplays chest injury
December 2, 2019
Cook, who left Monday's loss to Seattle after taking a hit in the third quarter and did not return, said he got hit on the chest injury he sustained against the Broncos and sat out for precautionary reasons, Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. Cook added he'd be ready to play next week.
ANALYSIS
Alexander Mattison took over at running back and ended with four carries for 22 yards. Cook had nine carries for 29 yards and a touchdown before departing. He also added three receptions for 35 yards. While Cook is optimistic about his injury, check to see how he fares in practice this week.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, 17 year head team doc in NFL and orthopedic surgeon David Chao says that this is actually a re-aggravation of a right SC joint injury Cook sustained in week 11 against the Broncos....before their bye. If so, this is the shoulder he had surgically repaired in college. Who knows?

well, there are varying levels of severity this could be.  I guess the practice reports will be our only real guide

I hope hes ok.   I need him for the fantasy playoffs

Dr. Chao expands on his thoughts here:

Coupling the original injury with Monday’s sequence of events, Cook seems to have a right SC joint sprain that has been re-aggravated. This injury does not require surgery and his ability to play and be effective will be a matter of pain tolerance. He is likely to be sore, but his season is not over.

The Vikings could decide to rest him next week, but he should not endure a long absence.

Bear in mind, this injury was incurred two weeks ago and typically affects a player for 4-6 weeks. Cook has had a fantastic year, but his effectiveness could be compromised down the stretch.

Based on that, I would think Mattison would be worth a waiver claim, both for the possibility that Cook sits this week as well as risk of future reinjury. However, the fact that the Vikings are still very much in the playoff hunt suggests that it will take a lot to get Cook off the field.

As someone who's facing the Cook/Mattison owner in the playoffs this week, I hope the situation stays muddled and neither of them are start-worthy.

What is best for them is to make a push for the playoffs with a capable Mattison and let Cook heal for the actual playoffs. The drop off in talent between them is not enough to matter IMO. Mattison is probably much better right now anyway being healthy and is their best option. 

If they can't beat the Lions who are trotting out a third string QB without him? Sitting him makes all the sense in the world. He's taken a pounding this year and it's a great opportunity for him to recharge. 

1 hour ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

What is best for them is to make a push for the playoffs with a capable Mattison and let Cook heal for the actual playoffs. The drop off in talent between them is not enough to matter IMO. Mattison is probably much better right now anyway being healthy and is their best option. 

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't think NFL teams think this way (and players certainly don't). They take nothing for granted and try as hard as they can to win every game with as many weapons on the field as possible. I think it's unlikely Mike Zimmer gets fired if he again collapses late and misses the playoffs, but I guarantee you that thought has crossed his mind.

Especially given that it's largely a pain-tolerance issue, I think there will be a very strong incentive for Cook to play through this. Which doesn't automatically mean he will, of course.

I'm still torn on whether Mattison is worth a waiver priority given this level of uncertainty, though coming from the No. 8 slot, it's largely irrelevant for me.

• Thanks 1

I deem Mattison as a top-priority add where he's available. As a non-Cook owner, I have had Mattison stashed in 4 of 5 leagues, since Cook does have an "injury history".  I could be wrong of course, but I'm smelling a potential Conner/Howard-like situation here. Even if Cook tries to go (which he unsuccessfully did this week after two-weeks post-injury), he could be knocked out of a game easily......and defensive players will be trying to make a point of it.

If so, Mattison could be a league-winner. Vikes have a great o-line and he has proven to be more-than-capable in his limited duties thus far. I would advise anyone on the fence to go go all-in to secure him.

have both Cook and Mattison...and would rather have Cook sit this week as if he's active you have to play him, right? The risk is big in the fantasy playoffs, and would rather him sit a week and roll out Mattison

1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

Wouldn't it be best for Cook owners to wait until the esteemed Dr. Alf has a chance to examine him ?

You had to do it, didn't you.

I have Cook but our benches are extremely short so don’t have Mattison. Will make postseason but first seed is in question so I want to finish strong this week. Do I drop one of these guys for Mattison? Start 2 RB, no flex. 

Adrian Petersen @ GB (Playing from behind?)

Snell @ ARI (Conner may come back?)

Le’Veon Bell vs NYJ (Has been disappointing.) 

Peterson 

13 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I agree with you. 

if we are speaking of Leslie Chao, i wanted to drop a warning.  he is not a doctor - he's a madman

39 minutes ago, BTL99 said:

Please let Cook miss 1 3 games. 

Fixed...

• Like 1

Even if he doesn't miss, from his own comments he said he would be dialed back some or something to that effect. He won't be getting anywhere near 20 touches if that is the case and makes sense. If he's getting that much work with a known injury the coaching staff have no idea what they are doing. 

13 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Even if he doesn't miss, from his own comments he said he would be dialed back some or something to that effect. He won't be getting anywhere near 20 touches if that is the case and makes sense. If he's getting that much work with a known injury the coaching staff have no idea what they are doing. 

As someone facing a team with both Cook and Mattison ... from your lips to God's ears. I want that workload split six ways from Sunday, rendering neither of them start-worthy. Maybe mix in some CJ Ham while they're at it.

44 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Well, fortunately, Cook obviously has a high pain threshold!

:unsure:

5 minutes ago, jgilkey513 said:

I'm confused... Isn't it actually a chest injury? 

That's the point. Vikes have been very misleading about this entire situation.  His injury was listed as a 'chest' ailment on Wednesday's report, which differs from his initial shoulder diagnosis — notable since he was limited from a lingering chest injury in practice last week.

Most probably a SC joint injury, as Dr. Chao initially pointed out Monday night after seeing Cook's reaction to the rather bland hit he sustained that caused the fumble and for him to writhe around on the ground for several minutes. The SC joint is in the front where the collarbone meets the breastbone. There's not much cushion there at all, and it is said to be extremely painful to take a direct hit of any kind. This is also an area of the body that is considered quite risky to give any pre-game pain injections, because there are both arterial and airway structures in that immediate area. Lions will be quite aware of this.

Maybe he will pull an Emmitt Smith and rub some dirt on it and play well. Frankly, I will be surprised if he plays at all. In other words, both he and Mattison are risky starts....but I'm rolling Mattison unless I see Cooks taking full practices.

• Like 1

What am I going to do.  I have Dalvin Cook and I'm paying the number one scoring team in my league.  :wall: 

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

What am I going to do.  I have Dalvin Cook and I'm paying the number one scoring team in my league.  :wall: 

First order of business is to calm down and accept Dalvin Cook in not playable. Once you get past that, go get Fitzmagik. After that, go get a RB who is is going to scored 8-10 pts.A few still out there. Odds are it will work out. Maybe the Miami RB. He sucks but he could get a couple of TD's if Fitz gets in the RZ. If he throws a TD to this guy, congrats because you probably won your game. 

• Haha 1

Well I can flex in a WR in place of Dalvin Cook.  That would be Deebo Samuel or Raheem Mostert or I could pick up AJ Brown.  Or I could play Rashaad Penny, I'm starting Saquon and Carson.  2 QB league I start Lamar Jackson and DeShaun Watson (Jameis Winston and Sam Darnold on the bench).  Also have Adam Thielen but plan to bench him.  Receivers Davante Adams, DJ Chark, Tyler Boyd and John Brown.

8 hours ago, stonewall said:

That's the point. Vikes have been very misleading about this entire situation.  His injury was listed as a 'chest' ailment on Wednesday's report, which differs from his initial shoulder diagnosis — notable since he was limited from a lingering chest injury in practice last week.

Most probably a SC joint injury, as Dr. Chao initially pointed out Monday night after seeing Cook's reaction to the rather bland hit he sustained that caused the fumble and for him to writhe around on the ground for several minutes. The SC joint is in the front where the collarbone meets the breastbone. There's not much cushion there at all, and it is said to be extremely painful to take a direct hit of any kind. This is also an area of the body that is considered quite risky to give any pre-game pain injections, because there are both arterial and airway structures in that immediate area. Lions will be quite aware of this.

Maybe he will pull an Emmitt Smith and rub some dirt on it and play well. Frankly, I will be surprised if he plays at all. In other words, both he and Mattison are risky starts....but I'm rolling Mattison unless I see Cooks taking full practices.

Same injury that kept Tyreek Hill out earlier this year.  

I'm leaning towards holding him out.  Down 20 points in a two week per match up playoff game and have to go with the higher upside.  Have Singletary, Penny, Guice and Darwin Thompson as options so I'm debating which two to start....leaning in this order Penny, Guice, Devin, Darwin 😕

Do you start Mattison if he is only gonna get maybe 10 touches?????

Or do you start him thinking that possibly this is all smokescreen and Mattison is actually gonna carry most of the load?

19 minutes ago, BTL99 said:

Do you start Mattison if he is only gonna get maybe 10 touches?????

Or do you start him thinking that possibly this is all smokescreen and Mattison is actually gonna carry most of the load?

He should get more than 10. They ran on them 33 times last matchup and he got 7. Is a dinged up Cook really getting 25 touches this time. I guess it's possible but highly unlikely. Besides, he said himself they want to start dialing him back for a playoff run.   

11 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Well I can flex in a WR in place of Dalvin Cook.  That would be Deebo Samuel or Raheem Mostert or I could pick up AJ Brown.  Or I could play Rashaad Penny, I'm starting Saquon and Carson.  2 QB league I start Lamar Jackson and DeShaun Watson (Jameis Winston and Sam Darnold on the bench).  Also have Adam Thielen but plan to bench him.  Receivers Davante Adams, DJ Chark, Tyler Boyd and John Brown.

I would be very worried about D Cook even if he does play.  

Deebo. 

12 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

He should get more than 10. They ran on them 33 times last matchup and he got 7. Is a dinged up Cook really getting 25 touches this time. I guess it's possible but highly unlikely. Besides, he said himself they want to start dialing him back for a playoff run.   

Agreed.