Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Who has seen the movie “A Ghost Story”?

An excellent film imo.

Was on Richard Brody of the New Yorker’s best films of the decade list.

If you haven’t seen it, I recommend that you do. However it may be profoundly distressing.

WHICH, incidentally, is how I found new fatherhood to be, and although the movie is supposedly about ghosts I must say it resonated more with me than absolutely anything else following the birth of our second whilst our firstborn was still a toddler.

Just that...nothingness.

Anyone else? Yes? No?

I’m aware of it haven’t seen it. Wrong forearm though. This one is for Marvel and bad action movies.

Top review at IMDB:

User Reviews

Impossible to rate
6 March 2018 | by samandor-15781  See all my reviews

Imagine a joke that takes 90 minutes to tell, you never get to hear the actual punchline, and part of the point is how long and incredibly boring it is to get there - yet it makes sense at the end, and in some strange way seems fulfilling. If this sounds like your cuppa joe, you might like this flick. I'm glad I watched it, but wouldn't watch it again, and can't recommend it.

Meh, think I'll pass.  :dunno:

Patrick Swayze :wub:

10 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

WHICH, incidentally, is how I found new fatherhood to be, and although the movie is supposedly about ghosts I must say it resonated more with me than absolutely anything else following the birth of our second whilst our firstborn was still a toddler.

What do you find difficult? Are you over it now and better?

I remember the reading the Peter Straub book Ghost Story a long time ago.  They made it into a movie that was not bad.  Assume you do not mean that one?

12 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

An excellent film imo.

Was on Richard Brody of the New Yorker’s best films of the decade list.

If you haven’t seen it, I recommend that you do. However it may be profoundly distressing.

Just that...nothingness.

Anyone else? Yes? No?

Dude.  What’s going on with you and parenthood?   Sounds like being a dad is torture for you?

Did you not want children?  

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Top review at IMDB:

Meh, think I'll pass.  :dunno:

That review could have worked for the Irishman with a few tweaks. 

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

What do you find difficult? Are you over it now and better?

Yeah I’m fine now. Seems like you fellas missed the point on “new” fatherhood. I’m talking like when they’re babies. Dad gets left out in the cold—it’s a lonely existence. You have to be there but no one particular wants you here or gives a damn about you. Which is probably generally how it should be as obviously baby and mother take precedence—still sucks for dad though. That’s what I was talking about. For me that period ended when the kids were about 18 months old. Though I will say my wife became somewhat of a b1tch following our firstborn and that sadly has not fully receded even at this point (kids are 6 and 4)

2 hours ago, Bill E. said:

I remember the reading the Peter Straub book Ghost Story a long time ago.  They made it into a movie that was not bad.  Assume you do not mean that one?

No this was a pretty recent (2017 I believe?) movie with Casey affleck (who is just under a sheet the whole time) and Rooney Mara. I believe it’s loosely based on a famous poem

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

No this was a pretty recent (2017 I believe?) movie with Casey affleck (who is just under a sheet the whole time) and Rooney Mara. I believe it’s loosely based on a famous poem

Ahh.  I am so behind the times.

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah I’m fine now. Seems like you fellas missed the point on “new” fatherhood. I’m talking like when they’re babies. Dad gets left out in the cold—it’s a lonely existence. You have to be there but no one particular wants you here or gives a damn about you. Which is probably generally how it should be as obviously baby and mother take precedence—still sucks for dad though. That’s what I was talking about. For me that period ended when the kids were about 18 months old. Though I will say my wife became somewhat of a b1tch following our firstborn and that sadly has not fully receded even at this point (kids are 6 and 4)

That part of being a new dad didn't bother me. The part that bothered me was being accused of not forming a better bond with the babies. It's a lot easier for women to bond with them since they carried the babies and breast feed, spend more time wirh them. I held them all and loved them, but there's not a whole lot I could do beside basic dad stuff. Once they got older and I could interact with them, it got a lot better. That's when it gets easier for dads. Women, or some women, just don't seem to understand that from what I have seen. They expect us to force some type of bond early on.