Fireballer

49ers suspend broadcaster for comment about Lamar Jackson’s “dark skin”

He literally said something thats true.  Its hard to see the ball against his dark skin and uniform.  This isnt some veiled "black QBs arent cerebral" BS.  How is this offensive?  He literally has dark skin.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/04/49ers-suspend-broadcaster-for-comment-about-lamar-jacksons-dark-skin/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said on air. “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

• Like 1

What a tragic state this country is experiencing these days. Obama caused ALL of this garbage. Now he retreats to white nation at Martha's Vinyard and sits back and laughs at all shlt he did. He should be thrown in Guantanamo. The fvcking traitor.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

we can cure racism by pretending everyones white!

Or black. Really doesn't matter.

• Haha 1

I wonder if he would make the same comment if George Bush was playing baseball or Trump was playing basketball

• Like 1

Yesterday during a basketball scrimmage, one of our black players celebrated after making a layup, I called timeout so I could make a point to the team.  

When they huddled up, I told them to hustle back on defense and stop jumping around like a buncha monkeys every time they made a shot.  

I didn’t mean anything racist by it, but I suspect one of these knucklehead kids might take it that way   

We’ll see what happens  

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yesterday during a basketball scrimmage, one of our black players celebrated after making a layup, I called timeout so I could make a point to the team.  

When they huddled up, I told them to hustle back on defense and stop jumping around like a buncha monkeys every time they made a shot.  

I didn’t mean anything racist by it, but I suspect one of these knucklehead kids might take it that way   

We’ll see what happens  

For someone to make your comment racist, they would have to have the racist belief that blacks are associated with monkeys. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

I wonder if he would make the same comment if George Bush was playing baseball or Trump was playing basketball

That's actually kinda funny.

3 hours ago, drobeski said:

For someone to make your comment racist, they would have to have the racist belief that blacks are associated with monkeys. 

As I said, there was no racist intent, but I thought about how some people would take it as soon as the words came outta my mouth.  

People have been fired or shunned for similar or less.  

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Wow. This was pretty obvious that he wasn’t making a racist comment. People suck. 

Yeah, intent / malice has to matter. 

3 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

That's actually kinda funny.

It is.  What if Trump played basketball for Syracuse? 

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

As I said, there was no racist intent, but I thought about how some people would take it as soon as the words came outta my mouth.  

People have been fired or shunned for similar or less.  

I'm sure there wasn't,  it's the race baiters who associate blacks with monkeys. Always.  

5 hours ago, porkbutt said:

we can cure racism by pretending everyones white!

But if we pretend everyone is black, then we can all get free money through reparations.

Easy solution.

White footballs

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

No can do

Bone spurs

did he also say "those quarterbacks"?

1 minute ago, edjr said:

did he also say "those quarterbacks"?

I know, right? What if a QB identifies as a safety? That would be damning if an announcer said that. 

2 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Trump would win every game. The other team would all foul out, continually grabbing his head, thinking its the basketball. The guy is just a winner!!!!

18 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

"Look at that little monkey run !!!!!!!!"

One of THE single worst "woke" bullsh!t crybaby things of all time....

Not racist. Although, to be fair, sometimes I can't see the ball even when a white player has it. Honestly, unless the ball is flying in the air or the QB is about to throw it, I can't see the ball. Whenever the QB fake hands the ball to a RB, I'm always looking in the wrong direction. I see the ball because the camera is following the player.

It's not racist but it's a micro-aggression. It's hurtful.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

What's wrong with having dark skin?

Don't you dare talk about a brown person's skin color unless you are accusing someone of being a racist against brownies, or if someone is asking for money or something for them.  Not cool.  :nono:

If they are white, open season on violence and jokes and everything else against those whities. :blink:

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

What's wrong with having dark skin?

Nothing, unless you are self-loathing, then any mention hurts you

4 hours ago, peenie said:

Only a certain sect of folks believe in "micro aggression" , I don't care what that sect thinks. 

6 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Only a certain sect of folks believe in "micro aggression" , I don't care what that sect thinks. 

Yeah. We used to call those people tvvats. 

2 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. We used to call those people tvvats. 

Re branded as "progressive" . Still just twwats.  

Sherman, one of the most outspoken players of the league, said Thursday he wasn’t as mad as everyone else was and that the analyst had “valid” points but could have chosen his words differently.

“I know Tim personally, and I listened to the dialogue and saw it written, and honestly I wasn’t as outraged as everybody else,” Sherman told reporters. “I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some. But if you're saying, this is a brown ball, they're wearing dark colors and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film

“He's making a play fake, and sometimes he's swinging his arm real fast, and you're like, Ok, does he have the ball? And you look up and [Mark] Ingram is running it. So it was technically a valid point, but you can always phrase things better. You can always phrase things and not say ‘his black skin.’”

Sherman added he didn’t think anyone in the 49ers locker room took offense to the statement. Defense lineman Dee Ford said he called Ryan to tell him he has his back.

“He walked up to me earlier, and before he even said anything, I told him ‘I’ve got your back,’” Ford said. “I already knew the story — words kinda got taken out of context. Of course — I think he knows now he could have used better judgment with his words.”

This country is .

The ball is brown.

The QB's arm is brown.

'sometimes I can't tell when he hands the ball off or not" is not a racist statement.

What ever happened to common sense.  The dude didn't say "the Monkey hides the ball well with his monkey skin, which matches the ball color".

You guys, it's not racist, it's not. It's an old timers insult.

When my daughter was a sophomore in high school we went Christmas shopping and she wanted to buy her best friend a gift. We were at Claire's, a jewelry store that sells inexpensive stuff mainly for teens and young women. My daughter chose earrings of a cute monkey holding a banana. I told her she could not buy them. In the middle of Claire's I'm trying to gently explain why it was inappropriate. My daughter explained that her friend's favorite animal is a monkey. Once again, I told her if her parents wanted to buy their daughter monkey earrings, good, but we are not giving her monkey earrings as a gift. My daughter couldn't understand what the issue was, she was not born in the era where blacks were compared to monkeys or even more specifically understanding the dynamics of colorism in the black community. 

Similarly, It's not wrong what he said, it's just the tail end of a time when it was offensive to call someone dark or black.

Just imagine us being in Claire's: I really don't want to go into the long story of why it is sensitive just know that you can't say a person is so dark you can't see the ball/You can't buy your friend monkey earrings. Same thing.

• Haha 1