Fireballer

49ers suspend broadcaster for comment about Lamar Jackson’s “dark skin”

It's like commenting on a Jewish person's big nose.

30 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Honestly, all this does is water down the phrase racist. People are starting to roll their eyes when it’s used so loosely. 

Yep. Racism used to involve some measure of active intent or hatred. Now it's become an act of negligence. 

2 hours ago, peenie said:

First, not all Jewish people have a big nose, some will and some wont

Second, if they do have a big nose and you point it out you are being factual, and perhaps rude.

Third, if one thinks being factual, and perhaps rude, is worthy of imperiling a persons source of income that person is a filthy POS....period

Not all Jews have big noses and not all blacks have dark skin. 

18 minutes ago, peenie said:

Not all Jews have big noses and not all blacks have dark skin. 

Well his comment wasn't about all blacks, it was about lamar

I have made a similar comment about black people out on the dark streets at night wearing dark clothing. Freaking hard as hell to see them when driving.

13 minutes ago, sderk said:

I have made a similar comment about black people out on the dark streets at night wearing dark clothing. Freaking hard as hell to see them when driving.

True, I complain about blacks crossing in the middle of the road at night. Then I have to realize not to do it too!

Lastly, this is the age where we can't compliment coworkers on their clothes (nice skirt Samantha) you can't make comments about their bodies (your legs looks really nice in that skirt Samantha) and you can't talk about their weight (that skirt makes you look so skinny Samantha) so I think you also cannot comment about their color (your arms are so black Lamar I can't see the ball).

19 minutes ago, sderk said:

Freaking hard as hell to see them when driving.

Especially when they have NO regard for traffic. Ive had numerous close calls over the years in fire trucks with black people walking right out in front of you.  Lights and sirens and all.  They see you coming from a block away and still step right out in your path.

19 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Especially when they have NO regard for traffic. Ive had numerous close calls over the years in fire trucks with black people walking right out in front of you.  Lights and sirens and all.  They see you coming from a block away and still step right out in your path.

When I was in New Orleans this past week I crossed a one way street against the light because the coming cars were about a block away still. Black dude did the same as me. When we were both about halfway across the street I noticed one of the cars was coming pretty fast so I jogged the rest of the way across to get out of the way. The black dude didn't. The car got right up to him and had to stop because the dude was still in the road. This happens everywhere in the country. There brains have been programmed to do this.

26 minutes ago, peenie said:

True, I complain about blacks crossing in the middle of the road at night. Then I have to realize not to do it too!

Lastly, this is the age where we can't compliment coworkers on their clothes (nice skirt Samantha) you can't make comments about their bodies (your legs looks really nice in that skirt Samantha) and you can't talk about their weight (that skirt makes you look so skinny Samantha) so I think you also cannot comment about their color (your arms are so black Lamar I can't see the ball).

Well, being a guy and complimenting a girl's body at work can be the kiss of death in the work place. Talking about weight is just a bit personal. 

But being pissed off about someone lingering in the roadway or not wearing something that can be seen by cars in dark streets is completely acceptable and probably should be made a bigger deal about this. If this would be a bigger topic maybe it would put the responsibility on the people walking in or across the streets as it should be. 

My parents taght me that if I get hit by a car, it's my fault.

1 minute ago, sderk said:

Well, being a guy and complimenting a girl's body at work can be the kiss of death in the work place. Talking about weight is just a bit personal. 

But being pissed off about someone lingering in the roadway or not wearing something that can be seen by cars in dark streets is completely acceptable and probably should be made a bigger deal about this. 

My parents taght me that if I get hit by a car, it's my fault.

I complain about bicycle riders all the time when they are riding on one lane roads with hills and turns. Is it racist even though 103% of them are white?

Just now, avoiding injuries said:

I complain about bicycle riders all the time when they are riding on one lane roads with hills and turns. Is it racist even though 103% of them are white?

#metoo - that is such a true point and people don't care.

"Freaking white bicyclists suck". -You are so right.

"Freaking black person in the street at night wearing black clothes" -You are racist  

6 hours ago, peenie said:

You guys, it's not racist, it's not. It's an old timers insult.

When my daughter was a sophomore in high school we went Christmas shopping and she wanted to buy her best friend a gift. We were at Claire's, a jewelry store that sells inexpensive stuff mainly for teens and young women. My daughter chose earrings of a cute monkey holding a banana. I told her she could not buy them. In the middle of Claire's I'm trying to gently explain why it was inappropriate. My daughter explained that her friend's favorite animal is a monkey. Once again, I told her if her parents wanted to buy their daughter monkey earrings, good, but we are not giving her monkey earrings as a gift. My daughter couldn't understand what the issue was, she was not born in the era where blacks were compared to monkeys or even more specifically understanding the dynamics of colorism in the black community. 

Similarly, It's not wrong what he said, it's just the tail end of a time when it was offensive to call someone dark or black.

Just imagine us being in Claire's: I really don't want to go into the long story of why it is sensitive just know that you can't say a person is so dark you can't see the ball/You can't buy your friend monkey earrings. Same thing.

And you are:

1.  A victim because you're taught to be one.

2.  Perpetuating racism by telling her she can't buy the monkey earrings.

3.  Perpetuating racism by talking about the dynamics of colorism in the black community. 

You don't hear ANYBODY here saying "well, in the white community, we do this....".

Do you know why?  Because that's racist.

If I met you in a store I would look at you as Peenie the fantasy football playing chic from Atlanta.  Not Peenie, the black chic.

But Peenie looks in the mirror and see's Peenie the black victim.

29 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Share the road!

9 hours ago, peenie said:

When my daughter was a sophomore in high school we went Christmas shopping and she wanted to buy her best friend a gift. We were at Claire's, a jewelry store that sells inexpensive stuff mainly for teens and young women. My daughter chose earrings of a cute monkey holding a banana. I told her she could not buy them. In the middle of Claire's I'm trying to gently explain why it was inappropriate. My daughter explained that her friend's favorite animal is a monkey. Once again, I told her if her parents wanted to buy their daughter monkey earrings, good, but we are not giving her monkey earrings as a gift. My daughter couldn't understand what the issue was, she was not born in the era where blacks were compared to monkeys or even more specifically understanding the dynamics of colorism in the black community. 

Similarly, It's not wrong what he said, it's just the tail end of a time when it was offensive to call someone dark or black.

Just imagine us being in Claire's: I really don't want to go into the long story of why it is sensitive just know that you can't say a person is so dark you can't see the ball/You can't buy your friend monkey earrings. Same thing.

So black kids are now being taught to not like monkeys and/or to not acknowledge them in any social way other than to relate them to black humans? That is some whacked out brainwashing going on in the black community.

Are they also being told to hate people from Africa because Africans sold black people into slavery to others around the world? My guess is 'No' on that one.

And are they also supposed to reject certain theories of evolution? Not sure thoughts on evolution ever come up there, but who knows? 

Crazy. I never knew it was that bad in the black family unit although I had my suspicions. Things have gotten really bad since Hussein "served" in office. Good to see Trump is in control now and trying to right the ship. :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, peenie said:

If that Jewish person were using his nose to hide to football it would be comparable

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BLS said:

And you are:

1.  A victim because you're taught to be one.

2.  Perpetuating racism by telling her she can't buy the monkey earrings.

3.  Perpetuating racism by talking about the dynamics of colorism in the black community. 

You don't hear ANYBODY here saying "well, in the white community, we do this....".

Do you know why?  Because that's racist.

If I met you in a store I would look at you as Peenie the fantasy football playing chic from Atlanta.  Not Peenie, the black chic.

But Peenie looks in the mirror and see's Peenie the black victim.

Too bad its actually a fat white guy from Macon pretending to be a black chick

No one is being taught anything. I made a personal decision, not that I was taught monkeys were a bad gift to give, it was a choice I made. I knew my daughter's friend would like them but there is an array of issues that I was avoiding by not purchasing them. 

It you are a WASP it may be hard for you to understand these things. However, immigrants change their last names and get plastic surgery to fit in. You just don't know what insults people from the outside suffer and how they harm. I didn't want the girl to possibly be offended, didn't want the parents to be offended and I also didn't want the girl to wear them and have the kids make fun of her. 

It may have been overly sensitive but I'd rather not buy them than risk hurting someone's feelings and they misunderstand my intention.

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

If that Jewish person were using his nose to hide to football it would be comparable

This. 

It's exactly like commenting on a Jewish QB's big nose if it was so big he could use it to conceal the football from opposing defenses. 

Otherwise it isn't anything at all like "commenting on a Jewish person's big nose."

Context matters and in this context there was nothing racist at all. It wasn't like the guy said "that guy's skin is so dark the cops wouldn't be able to find him at night." 

Jesus Peenie, not everything white people say about black people is rooted in racism. Some things are just matter of fact. 

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Jesus Peenie, not everything white people say about black people is rooted in racism. Some things are just matter of fact. 

ARE YOU READING MY WORDS????

HAVE I EVER STATED THAT THE COMMENTS WERE RACIST OR EVEN WRONG?????

On 12/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, peenie said:

Not racist. Although, to be fair, sometimes I can't see the ball even when a white player has it. Honestly, unless the ball is flying in the air or the QB is about to throw it, I can't see the ball. 

Read

On 12/6/2019 at 4:43 PM, peenie said:

It's not racist but it's a micro-aggression. 

Read

12 hours ago, peenie said:

Read

12 hours ago, peenie said:

What a shame.  That was starting out as such a great story.  Your daughter was making a decision that had no race connotation at all.  Your daughter was what MLK dreamed of.  And then her racist mother had to start ingraining more racist bullsh*t in her head such that now your daughter is probably as racist as you are.  And yet you don't believe you are.  As I said, it's a shame and a lot of what is wrong with race relations in this country.

I have stated over and over today the statement was not racist. I was only trying to explain to you guys that it may have been an insult to talk about his dark skin just as it may be an insult to discuss a Jewish person's nose. It may be a fact but perhaps some people would take offense. Which is why I labeled it a micro-aggression.

I also thought that perhaps today's sensitive work climate was the cause for the suspension.

I also used an example from my own life where I decided not to take a risk of offending someone. 

I think you all will never be able to read my words or understand me. You all can never see past my race. It's pointless for me to be here.

I think demanding this seeming perfection in our (white peoples) behavior will in time have the opposite effect than what people who use the term microaggression desire and will instead cause even more segregation because it's exhausting to have to parse every word for a potential offense.  

I am black and was giving monkey earrings to a black person. It wasn't racist, it's being sensitive and aware that just because you yourself may not take offense, perhaps the other person would take offense. 

I am not offended by the Confederate flag, but some black people are. I think it's best not to give a Confederate flag as a gift to a black person. 

I didn't know why the guy was suspended. Just like you, I'm trying to figure it out. Not sure why when I'm sharing my opinions you attack me in the process. 

You all can just talk amongst yourselves then and cry about days past when you could make insensitive statements without impunity.

Wah, wah, wah!!!! Why do we have to act civilized?!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, peenie said:

ARE YOU READING MY WORDS????

HAVE I EVER STATED THAT THE COMMENTS WERE RACIST OR EVEN WRONG?????

You likened his words to "commenting on a Jewish person's big nose" which is ridiculous, given the context. Your words could be construed as racist whereas his were nothing of the sort. 

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

I am black and was giving monkey earrings to a black person. It wasn't racist, it's being sensitive and aware that just because you yourself may not take offense, perhaps the other person would take offense. 

I am not offended by the Confederate flag, but some black people are. I think it's best not to give a Confederate flag as a gift to a black person. 

I didn't know why the guy was suspended. Just like you, I'm trying to figure it out. Not sure why when I'm sharing my opinions you attack me in the process. 

You all can just talk amongst yourselves then and cry about days past when you could make instructive insensitive statements without impunity.

Maybe I misunderstood your point. I took you to mean that any comment about the darkness of a person's skin was akin to making derogatory comments about racial/ethnic physical characteristics. Wherein this particular comment was more about the lack of contrast between the football and the backdrop of the person/uniform holding the ball. 

And the days of being able to make insensitive statements aren't gone. They are alive and well here in America. Which is what makes this country great. Somebody else's sensitivities don't trump your freedom of speech and they never will.  

9 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I think you meant with impunity.

Oh...yeah, you're right, thanks. Duh! 

13 hours ago, peenie said:

READ!!!

Back in the day people would insult blacks by saying it was hard to see the football against dark skin and a dark jersey. Got it.  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

Back in the day people would insult blacks by saying it was hard to see the football against dark skin and a dark jersey. Got it.  :rolleyes:

Well, then why was the broadcaster suspended? I was just offering a theory. I guess I am wrong. What is the reason then??

Do you guys actually believe that the ball disappears in Lamar Jackson's hands when he gets it?? Do you think that players don't know the ball is in his hands and that they don't know where a hand could be located on the human body? You think that Lamar has an ability that other players don't have? That his skin is different than the color of all the other black players on the field that have the ball, all those black WR and RB that are the color of the ball? Lamar is master of disguise, he can make a ball invisible with his magical skin?

Why was the broadcaster suspended??? I am waiting for your genius responses. 

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

Do you guys actually believe that the ball disappears in Lamar Jackson's hands when he gets it?? Do you think that players don't know the ball is in his hands and that they don't know where a hand could be located on the human body? You think that Lamar has an ability that other players have that his skin is different than the color of all the other players on the field that have the ball, all those black WR and RB that are the color of the ball? Lamar is master of disguise, he can make a ball invisible with his magical skin?

Why was the broadcaster suspended??? I am waiting for your genius responses. 

Peen... they run an RPO.  He is tough enough to track and tackle.  I would not be surprised if the blend creates an occasional hesitation by the defense. Not every play all the time.

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Peen... they run an RPO.  He is tough enough to track and tackle.  I would not be surprised if the blend creates an occasional hesitation by the defense. Not every play all the time.

I think you’re going to need to break down RPO for Peenie

• Thanks 1