zftcg

Billy Volek Award nominees (for playoff studs)

Let's all go on record now for our predictions of the guy who will explode during the fantasy playoffs and carry lots of teams to championships.

A few ground rules:

• I named it after Volek because I love the shoutout to the semi-obscure Titans backup QB who replaced in injured Steve McNair and, together with WR Drew Bennett, laid waste to the league during the 2004 fantasy playoffs. But it does not need to be a total rando. In fact, in many seasons (Jamaal Charles '13, David Johnson '16, Gurley '17) it has been a season-long stud who kicked it up another notch in the playoffs. 
  • IMO the main criterion (which I admit is totally subjective) is someone who was so dominant that, after your team lost, you couldn't even be mad. You just shrugged your shoulders because you knew it wasn't your year. (And if he was on your team, you will always have a soft spot in your heart for that player. I don't have any tattoos, but if I did it would probably say "Jamaal 2013").
  • There's no real way to see it coming. If we had done this last year at the beginning of the playoffs, lots of people would have said Mahomes and no one would have said Derrick Henry. And as it was, Henry's explosion probably took place too late to help lots of teams.
  • It's usually been a RB, but in addition to Volek, I would also list Foles (2013), Cousins (2015) and Brees (2011). I remember in 2013 I won one title thanks to Charles and lost another because my juggernaut of a team faced Foles.

With that in mind, who do ya got for this year? C-Mac is the obvious choice, although he seems to have slowed down a little with the Panthers' struggles on offense. Meanwhile, Lamar is facing a somewhat tough defensive matchup this week and then finishes with Cleveland and the Jets, both of whom will be playing out the string, so definitely potential for him to finish strong. Russell Wilson finishes with a pretty easy schedule, so he could rebound from his mid-season swoon. One name to keep an eye on: Fournette. He faces a pretty easy slate (LAC/Oak/Atl) and while he's been very productive all season from a yardage perspective, he has some major positive TD regression coming his way.

Who else?

• Like 2

Phenomenal reference by the way. The Volek/Bennett stack took me to the 2004 Title thanks to insane Weeks 12-15 performances. I benched them (wisely as it turned out) in the week 16 title game but I'd never have gotten there without them!

I'll stick with the 'never saw it coming' theme and say Tannehill/Fitz at QB and I think Mattison has a shot at RB similar to what CJ Anderson did last year with the Rams. Benny Snell anyone?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rotisserieking said:

Phenomenal reference by the way. The Volek/Bennett stack took me to the 2004 Title thanks to insane Weeks 12-15 performances. I benched them (wisely as it turned out) in the week 16 title game but I'd never have gotten there without them!

I'll stick with the 'never saw it coming' theme and say Tannehill/Fitz at QB and I think Mattison has a shot at RB similar to what CJ Anderson did last year with the Rams. Benny Snell anyone?

Some very good suggestions. Maybe the way to think of it is to try to identify the 2019 analogues to people who have done it historically:

• Foles: 2013: Tannehill
  • CJ Anderson: Snell or Mattison
  • Charles 2013: McCaffrey
  • Vick 2010*: Jackson
  • Jordan Reed 2015: Waller
  • Volek 2004: David Blough? :dunno:

* I remember facing Vick in the 2010 semis, which was the famous "Miracle in the New Meadowlands" game vs the Giants. He started the game off super slow, then turned it on late and was absolutely terrifying. I somehow managed to squeak out a narrow win via Brady and the Pats D on MNF, but I realized afterward that, by preventing OT, DJax's punt return is what saved me, since there's no telling how much more damage Vick could have done with an extra period.

1 hour ago, LaChup said:

Eli Manning > Billy Volek

INTs vs. TDs

week 14: @PHI

week 15: MIA

week 16: @WAS

Holy cow, this might could happen. I realize Eli is not good but what if...

Last year I lost 2rb's to injury just as the playoffs rolled around and had saved some FAAB money. I picked up Damien Williams, Elijah McGuire, Herndon, and Robby Anderson, all of whom came up huge for me, especially championship week. Without their Volek-like performances there's no way I would have won it. 

This year, I could see Tannehill, Minshew, or Fitzpatrick at QB, Miles Sanders, Penny, or maybe even Darwin Thompson at RB. WR is wide open. TE- maybe Gesicki or Fant?

6 hours ago, zftcg said:

Some very good suggestions. Maybe the way to think of it is to try to identify the 2019 analogues to people who have done it historically:

• Foles: 2013: Tannehill
  • CJ Anderson: Snell or Mattison
  • Charles 2013: McCaffrey
  • Vick 2010*: Jackson
  • Jordan Reed 2015: Waller
  • Volek 2004: David Blough? :dunno:

* I remember facing Vick in the 2010 semis, which was the famous "Miracle in the New Meadowlands" game vs the Giants. He started the game off super slow, then turned it on late and was absolutely terrifying. I somehow managed to squeak out a narrow win via Brady and the Pats D on MNF, but I realized afterward that, by preventing OT, DJax's punt return is what saved me, since there's no telling how much more damage Vick could have done with an extra period.

OBJ 2014 and 2015. I remember losing to him both years in the semi’s lol....

Since no one picked a WR yet, I think Evans or Godwin could they are obvious... but could drop 30 every week.

ind

det

hou

I guess that means Winston too.

with everyone picking Fitzmagic I guess Parker could be too..

Great topic, award name, and nominees so far.

I'll add...

Wentz...Eagles overall not playing well but Wentz came on v Phins and has chance to get into some shootouts

Ertz...see above, he's come on in recent weeks and healthy WR corp now could actually free him up more underneath/middle of the field

Snell...he's been productive of late, if Connor out extended time, he could get lion share of touches as Pitt leans on running game

I have one that I bet no one is going to agree with, but what the hell:

Henry 2018 = Michel 2019

He's been wildly disappointing all season, but as we move into December the team realizes their passing game isn't going to get it done for them, so they're going to lean on the running game and defense. He has a relatively easy schedule (KC/Cinci/Buffalo) and we saw them do something similar in last year's playoffs.

Do I actually think this will happen? No. Am I wishcasting because I've been stuck with Michel as my RB2 all season, have been unable to find anyone better and desperately want to be able to tell myself it wasn't a wasted pick? Hey, I'm not a psychologist, man (but yeah, probably).

On 12/6/2019 at 10:41 PM, zftcg said:

I have one that I bet no one is going to agree with, but what the hell:

Henry 2018 = Michel 2019

Let’s all pretend that post never happened

A few years ago hightower when he played for Saints prolly helped teams win championships. I had him in the semis but lost because the refs took anTD away from him before half because of some illegal formation penalty at the one yard line. Then my opponent had the TE on The Saints Benjamin I think caught a meaningless one yard TD on the last play of the game. 

5 hours ago, joeshushu said:

A few years ago hightower when he played for Saints prolly helped teams win championships. I had him in the semis but lost because the refs took anTD away from him before half because of some illegal formation penalty at the one yard line..

Remember it well. Cost me the Championship, also.

Although I don’t own him anywhere, it’s looking like AJ Brown could possibly  be that player this year..... although he has shown no consistency to date. The upside is plain as day though, and he and Tanny have a connection. Mike Williams is another guy that could come through down the stretch. Or, if Antonio Brown is suddenly set free by Goddell....look out.

RB is tougher. Unless Henry is really injured, no real injury issues like we had with Gurly-man last season that set up CJ. Of course, Carson is now set up nicely for some huge games.... but only good news if you own him. I suppose Laird could be a huge December surprise....and what a surprise that would be, lol. An undrafted white RB on a team with one of the worst run-blocking o lines in the league.....but he catches the ball well, Parker and Wilson may be out, cake schedule, and he has nothing to lose....

7 hours ago, stonewall said:

Remember it well. Cost me the Championship, also.

Although I don’t own him anywhere, it’s looking like AJ Brown could possibly  be that player this year..... although he has shown no consistency to date. The upside is plain as day though, and he and Tanny have a connection. Mike Williams is another guy that could come through down the stretch. Or, if Antonio Brown is suddenly set free by Goddell....look out.

RB is tougher. Unless Henry is really injured, no real injury issues like we had with Gurly-man last season that set up CJ. Of course, Carson is now set up nicely for some huge games.... but only good news if you own him. I suppose Laird could be a huge December surprise....and what a surprise that would be, lol. An undrafted white RB on a team with one of the worst run-blocking o lines in the league.....but he catches the ball well, Parker and Wilson may be out, cake schedule, and he has nothing to lose....

Agree on Brown (particularly with the Tannehill stack, much like Volek and Drew Bennett back in the day). Just to clarify, though, it doesn't need to be someone who came out of nowhere. There have been plenty of studs who upped their game even further in the last three weeks, a la Gurley in 2017.

Given all of the injuries this weekend, I suspect the championship rosters will mostly be made up of guys who managed to stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, yadwick said:

Anyone else here use Joe Webb as a WR in 2010 when Favre went down?

:clap:

Ultimately, I still lost -- made the mistake of starting the Chargers D, who stunk, instead of the Pats, who recovered 7 fumbles -- but I was way behind heading into that game (which was moved to Tuesday night due to a snowstorm) and Webb brought me almost all the way back. Would have been an all-time story if I had managed to pull it off.

On today's Fantasy Footballers podcast, they made a great point: This year we may see a number of guys like OJ Howard and Robert Woods who are both Busts of the Year and Volek Award winners (they didn't use those terms, obviously)

Terrific award name. Remember the Volek year well, was a ton of fun blindsiding better teams as he ripped thru first two rounds, unfortunately I stayed with him in the championship game @ good Denver D in low temp. Wahh wahh. Have had Volek visions watching Tennessee past few weeks, although Tannehill already has a longer streak going.... have to decide if it continues or if I go with Kyler. 

Folks, don't sleep on Allen Hurns.

Parker and Wilson on concussion protocol, still haven't been cleared yet.  This could be a Fitz to Hurns show this weekend at Giant Stadium.

150+ 2 TDs

Turns out we were all overthinking it. The answer is Lamar. If I win this week I will likely be facing him in the ‘ship and I’m already terrified

Leading candidates for the illustrious Billy Volek award thru week 14 (1st round of FF playoffs)...

QB

Winston, Garropolo, Brees

RB

A.Jones, Henry, Mixon (:blink:, guess who has been #3 overall amongst RBs over last week after just being awful first half of season?)

WR

A.Brown, Slayton, Sanders (including a pass TD!)

TE

Ertz

Others?  Lamar, Ingram, Crowder early candidates for week15...

Olsen is out and Thomas got 10 targets last week for 57 and a TD. This week he gets a Seahawks team who don't even bother to cover tight ends. Meanwhile Allen targets his te a lot. 

Thru week 15 (2nd round of FF playoffs, Saints/Colts still to play) candidates...

QB

Lamar, Winston, Tannehill

RB

A.Jones, Mixon 

WR

A.Brown, Slayton

TE

Ertz, Higbee, Kittle

22 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Include Kittle in there as well.

good call, fixored.

Breshad Perriman will be my hero if he has another big game this week. He is now option number one on one of the most prolific passing offenses in the league. Playing against a vulnerable Houston defense. The stars are aligned.

4 minutes ago, loonecho said:

Breshad Perriman will be my hero if he has another big game this week. He is now option number one on one of the most prolific passing offenses in the league. Playing against a vulnerable Houston defense. The stars are aligned.

Agree, he's this year's CJ Anderson.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, NAn said:

Thru week 15 (2nd round of FF playoffs, Saints/Colts still to play) candidates...

QB

Lamar, Winston, Tannehill

RB

A.Jones, Mixon 

WR

A.Brown, Slayton

TE

Ertz, Higbee, Kittle

I assumed the Volek awards were guys that were undrafted and never a thought til late in the season

Tannehill, Slayton, Brown and Higbee fit

Lamar, Winston, Mixon, Jones, Erts, Kittle dont

6 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I assumed the Volek awards were guys that were undrafted and never a thought til late in the season

Tannehill, Slayton, Brown and Higbee fit

Lamar, Winston, Mixon, Jones, Erts, Kittle dont

per zftcg's criteria, it can be an undrafted or late round drafted player but does not have to be:

But it does not need to be a total rando. In fact, in many seasons (Jamaal Charles '13, David Johnson '16, Gurley '17) it has been a season-long stud who kicked it up another notch in the playoffs. 

I personally am with you that if it's named Billy Volek, should be a more obscure 'off the radar' player, but per the criteria they're all candidates.

• Thanks 1

I mean, I made the whole thing up two weeks ago, so feel free to define it however you want. I won’t be offended. 

But yeah, my original thought was that you’ll look back on this year and think either, “That was the time I won a championship because _____ went nuts “ or “I was in great shape until I ran into a buzzsaw named _______ on my opponent’s roster.”

16 hours ago, zftcg said:

I mean, I made the whole thing up two weeks ago, so feel free to define it however you want. I won’t be offended. 

But yeah, my original thought was that you’ll look back on this year and think either, “That was the time I won a championship because _____ went nuts “ or “I was in great shape until I ran into a buzzsaw named _______ on my opponent’s roster.”

Z, hey bro, i have my preference, but you created this thing while rest of us were just sitting around thinking about our own teams, we''ll run with it as you describe.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:08 AM, loonecho said:

Be very leery.....this guy is a career "hack" who will now draw double coverage......just saying !

On the flip side. They dont have anyone else and winston was looking for perriman before the injury to godwin. 

Do we have a sub category for running back? The Kevin Smith Award?

Lewis, Boone and Washington all candidates now.

OK, here are the top 0.5 PPR playoff performers at each position:

• QB: Lamar, Brees, Winston, Fitz, Tannehill
  • WR: Thomas, AJ Brown, Parker, A-Rob, Hopkins
  • RB: CMac, Barkley, Zeke, Sanders, Drake
  • TE: Cook, Kittle, Higbee, Ertz, Kelce

Now I'm going to apply my totally subjective criteria to narrow this list down:

• Eliminate anyone who put up a stinker game in the playoffs, because that's the kind of thing that can cost you a championship (Winston, Fitz, Parker, A-Rob, Hopkins, Zeke, Sanders)
  • Eliminate anyone who was consistently productive, but never had that breakout "Destroyer of Worlds" type game (Tannehill, Thomas). These guys can definitely contribute to you winning a championship, but they're rarely the reason you did it.
  • Eliminate the "Too Little, Too Late" all-stars. Yes, they came through in the playoffs, but either they were a top pick whose underperformance all season meant you were already eliminated (Saquon), or their breakout was so out-of-the-blue you didn't even know to start them until it was too late (Drake)
  • Eliminate all the TEs because, again, their level of production is only enough to contribute to a championship, not win one.

That leaves us with Lamar, Brees and CMac. Two of those are obvious names who have been getting it done all season, but -- and again, this is my totally subjective opinion -- I'm going to give it to Brees. He started off the playoffs by going nuclear against SF in what was supposed to be a tough match-up, then had the MNF love fest when he broke the record, then finished off with one more solid outing that included a mostly garbage-time drive where he was force-feeding Thomas to get him his own record. I just feel like anyone who started Brees during this run will look back on those moments fondly. Plus, in my main money league, the Brees owner started him over Winston and beat the team with Lamar.

Anyway, that's my pick. Who is yours?

Drake and Higbee, got both guys off waivers and carried my team week 15/16

Boyd gets a nice honorable mention, although I did draft him I dropped him for RB shuffle and picked him up for this week's Mia showdown