Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

PC Correctness rearing ugly head in North Dakota

Folks want to get rid of the "Midgets" nickname.   The city is Dickinson. 

Just another case of a simple word being turned "derogatory" by those that are part of the the group.  

Remember, whatever word describes a human, that particular word will have to be changed every few years, because it eventually becomes derogatory. 

https://www.inforum.com/news/education/4815350-Dickinson-asked-to-drop-‘Midgets’-team-name

Ponder this:  What if Dickinson H.S said (before the PC folks cried foul), would have said "We don't want the name Midgets.  We don't think the nickname represents us well.  There are better ones out there"

The small people (midgets) would be crying foul saying "What!?  You can't just drop the name like that! What do you have against midgets?   Are you discriminating against us?" 

We should never be ok with the government dictating speech to us....

6 minutes ago, RLLD said:

We should never be ok with the government dictating speech to us....

Something this small can be ignored as we have not yet reached the height of civilization.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

That story was pretty short.  

I know they are not looking down at your bad puns.

13 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

This movement won't get much legs.  

This comment can be overlooked.

I think the lady took the right path on this.  She wasn't blaming, pointing fingers, or being forceful... just asked them to consider a change.  I think the right response to her would have been something like: "While I understand your stance and am not really looking to insult anyone, I see a potential change as something that's "in the now" and potentially be a path we don't want to be on.  For example, many years ago, black people were referred to as "Colored", then that became racist and the new term was "Black", then that became racist, then it became "African American", to try and seem politically correct, now it's "Black" again.  What if we change the name to something totally different, then in 25 years, an organization like yours, comes along and says 'Why was the name changed from Midgets....'.  No one here uses the term/name in a derogatory way and it's used in a fashion of respect.  Let's keep it that way for now and if a change is warranted in the future, we can do it then."

5 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Folks want to get rid of the "Midgets" nickname.   The city is Dickinson. 

Just another case of a simple word being turned "derogatory" by those that are part of the the group.  

Somebody always has to roon things they don't like by getting all high and mighty. It's the height of arrogance. 

:thumbsdown:

37 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think the lady took the right path on this.  She wasn't blaming, pointing fingers, or being forceful... just asked them to consider a change.  I think the right response to her would have been something like: "While I understand your stance and am not really looking to insult anyone, I see a potential change as something that's "in the now" and potentially be a path we don't want to be on.  For example, many years ago, black people were referred to as "Colored", then that became racist and the new term was "Black", then that became racist, then it became "African American", to try and seem politically correct, now it's "Black" again.  What if we change the name to something totally different, then in 25 years, an organization like yours, comes along and says 'Why was the name changed from Midgets....'.  No one here uses the term/name in a derogatory way and it's used in a fashion of respect.  Let's keep it that way for now and if a change is warranted in the future, we can do it then."

So you think their response was short-sighted? 

• Thanks 1

"impeachable imps"

"dastardly dwarves"

"electric elves"

"the miniatures"

"pint sized pirates"

15 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

If we can't have the Midgets, then we should get rid of the Giants too.

Pretty soon a team nickname depicting anything that is human, will be considered demeaning. 

Cowboys, Lumberjacks, Vikings, Senators? Miners?

What about Cougars?  Should that even be allowed?  A team nickname depicting women in that manner just isn't right.

3 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Pretty soon a team nickname depicting anything that is human, will be considered demeaning. 

Cowboys, Lumberjacks, Vikings, Senators? Miners?

What about Cougars?  Should that even be allowed?  A team nickname depicting women in that manner just isn't right.

So true. Great, great, great grandchildren of the Viking warriors are feeling objectified and hurt deeply.

19 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

If we can't have the Midgets, then we should get rid of the Giants too.

Midgets QB

Roxette lady

Eli Manning