Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Week 16 Scoop and Play WR - Championship Edition

Well, a hearty congratulations to all of you who navigated the treacherous waters of week 15 and now find yourselves competing for the coveted title. After many years of playing FF (20 to be exact), I now find myself glad to see it finally end each season. Unlike yesteryear, with the advent of the interwebnet where information is just a click away for anyone interested, it now takes a weekly grind to dig deeper than others, while attempting to gain that slight edge over your competition. However, the sweetness of winning it all I will never tire of.....and I have two teams entering the final  fray this week.

With that said, I will post one last WR scoop and play thread this season. Good luck to all who are in the Ship....and thanks for the insight (and entertainment) found in this forearm and on this bored throughout the year(s). 

(Caveat : I often don't know what I'm talking about)

Kenny Stills - Texans

Assuming that Fuller isn't available in most legit leagues, there's stills a chance that Stills is floating around out there...16% & 6.2% owned in Yahoo and NFL.com leagues, respectively. He came through last week with a couple of scores, but has also shown us his floor in recent weeks, with 6 yards in week 12, and 8 yards in week 14, so there is risk (like all late-season adds). However, this suggestion mostly revolves around the Texan's opponent this week....the Bucs, who have been the worst in the league all year at giving up yards/TD's to WR's, and even allowed our last weeks scoop-and-play recommendation, Amendola, to put up over 100 yards (although Golladay strangely didn't fare so well). Tampa Bay is a shut-down defense against the run, which provides the perfect storm for Watson to potentially go off this week through the air in a game that opened with a 49-point over/under, with only a 3-point spread. Additionally, he has already shown that he trusts Stills in the red zone. 

Perriman/Watson - Bucs  

No-brainer on Perriman, if available....although regression in obviously inevitable, and even has the distant smell of a trap game. After a poor performance last week, Justin Watson also finds himself in the scoop-and-play conversation again. Following a 8 target game in week 14, that he turned into 5/59/1, he played second fiddle to the Godwin/Perriman explosion last week.  Although Winston reportedly still has his Hyman intact,  he will now probably have WR's  Godwin, Evans, and Miller all on the shelf.....setting up Watson as the de facto WR2 on a Tampa Bay offense that is firing on all cylinders, with a QB that seems to have suddenly morphed into Peyton Manning.....breaking pass-yardage records for back-to-back games. Additionally, the Bucs are at home against the Texans, who have been pretty consistently poor against opposing wide receivers this season. Did I mention that Watson's SPARQ score was in the 91st percentile?

John Ross - Bengals

Only 14% owned in Yahoo and 4.3% owned in NFL.com, many potential owners have obviously moved on from Mr. Ross....for good reason. After all, since coming back from shoulder injury following an eight-week absence, he has posted under 30 yards in both contests. However, one could naturally expect some rust his first game back, and the second was against a solid Patriots secondary. This week could be a different story though....a matchup with the Dolphins, that bleed points to opposing WR's. Ross' game is built on pure and unadulterated speed. In fact, did you know that he has the fastest 40-time ever recorded at the combine? A 4.22 forty in 2017. For comparison, DeSean Jackson, a WR whose game revolves around taking the tops off defenses,  ran a 4.35. For further comparison, the world's fastest man, Usain Bolt, tied Ross' 4.22 time at the #SuperBowlExperience this year (albeit he did run in jogging pants and Pumas). Botttomline: it is very unlikely that anyone in the NFL can stay with Ross....particularly the Miami secondary. He used this to his advantage early in the season (weeks 1 & 2), putting up stat lines of 158/2 and 112/1 against the Seahawks and 49ers, no less. With AJ Green highly unlikely to see the field this year, look for Ross to shake free for at least one long TD bomb......and maybe more. Prediction: 4/107/1

Allen "The Lizard" Lazard - Packers

As Green Bay prepares for a Monday Night prime time showdown against the Vikes, you might have one last bullet left to fire with the Lizard-Man. Being a popular mid-season add following a breakout game against the Lions in week 6, he has been widely dropped....only 8% owned in Yahoo and less than 1% in NFL.com. Quite frankly, his production has been abysmal the last two weeks after an outstanding game in week 13, where he put up 103 yards and a TD. However, a deeper look reveals that he has quietly become the Packs second-best option at WR behind Adams. In fact,  MVS is barely seeing the field, enabling Lazard to play the second-most WR snaps last week......14 more than the next closest WR, Geronimo Allison. Yes, Jones and Williams are catching some passes from the RB position, but TE Jimmy Graham looks like he's running in wet cement and Rodgers, who seems to be way overdue a big game on the big stage, is gonna need someone else to step up for him on Monday night. He has stated that he really likes/trusts Lazard, and the Vikes can be had....giving up the 10th most points to opposing WR's. Prediction: 5/78/1

Deep Dive: Tre'Quan Smith - Saints

This one is in the "deep dive" column for a reason.....it's probably gonna be TD-dependent. Hear me out, though. Mr. Smith has been lackluster for the most part, no doubt. That is why he available in all but the deepest of leagues. In fact, after missing 5 weeks with an ankle, he has only 6 receptions for 77 yards in the last 4 games......but 3 TD's (and shoulda been 4, no thanks to a phantom PI call Monday Night). Yes, Brees continues to feed MT like a starving refugee, and rightly so...nobody can stop him. With the all-time single-season record for receptions pretty much a lock now for MT (needs only 10 in two games to pass Marvin Harrison), Brees doesn't have to force-feed him....although he will, of course. The point is, Brees is on a tear right now, and the Titans, who are playing for their playoff life, saw what Thomas just did to the Colts and, although they also know that they can't stop him, you can bet that they will diverge any and all resources to try and slow him. This will leave Smith one-on-one all day, and besides the established fact that Brees trusts him in red zone, he has the ability to take the top off a defense at any given time without prior notice. Like to gamble? If so, Tre'Quan is your man. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After losing Ridley and Godwin in consecutive weeks in a 14 team 3 WR league, I've been looking forward to this post! I'll be making a play for Justin Watson as Perriman was already scooped up by my opponent last week. Not only is Godwin out but Scotty Miller as well and this game with Houston is going to be a shootout for sure. 

Someone else I am considering as a scoop and play is the Eagles Greg Ward as he's the only WR that Carson seems to target and trust at the moment.

Tre'Quan Smith is intriguing but he's way too TD or bust and the fact the Saints are on the road makes it too risky to start Smith in the championship game.

Thanks for this weekly thread and looking forward to it next year! Good luck this week to all. May Santa bring us all fantasy championships. 

• Like 1

Excellent choices Stonewall. Arians is still going to have Winston slinging it so both of those guys are definitely options. I like Ross as a possiblility also

15 minutes ago, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

After losing Ridley and Godwin in consecutive weeks in a 14 team 3 WR league, I've been looking forward to this post! I'll be making a play for Justin Watson as Perriman was already scooped up by my opponent last week. Not only is Godwin out but Scotty Miller as well and this game with Houston is going to be a shootout for sure. 

Someone else I am considering as a scoop and play is the Eagles Greg Ward as he's the only WR that Carson seems to target and trust at the moment.

Tre'Quan Smith is intriguing but he's way too TD or bust and the fact the Saints are on the road makes it too risky to start Smith in the championship game.

Thanks for this weekly thread and looking forward to it next year! Good luck this week to all. May Santa bring us all fantasy championships. 

Ward is not a bad pickup either. The Eagles are really hurting at WR and need this game badly.

As along as Santa doesn't bring it to my opponent.😀

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AintNoStoppinMeNow said:

Thanks for this weekly thread and looking forward to it next year! Good luck this week to all.

Appreciate it. 

Rallo is the originator of this thread from years past, and he had some good hits along the way...some of which were very helpful to me. He still chimes in, as well.....so, hat's off to him.

I wanted J Ross but he’s already posted, So I’ll go with A Wilson of the Dolphins.  

And I agree, thanks for this weekly thread, it’s been fun.  

Good luck this next weekend. 

7 hours ago, stonewall said:

Appreciate it. 

Rallo is the originator of this thread from years past, and he had some good hits along the way...some of which were very helpful to me. He still chimes in, as well.....so, hat's off to him.

I don't know brother, last week I was convinced Watson would break out instead of his 2 for 20... you've been killing it!

Also, great picks! The only other guy that I was eyeing was Russell Gage, i doubt Julio sees 20 targets again, and Hooper doesn't look right. The way to beat Jax is by running the ball, but the Falcons haven't been able to do that with any consistency. AJ Bouye is also nursing a calf injury, and last week looked like the Jags were ready to be done with this year. Give me 8ish targets for Gage, what he does with them are anyone's guess.

I blew my waiver wire pick on perriman and i am starting him in place of lockett and cupp as my number 3 behind Arob and Sutton. 

Like Lockett vs Zona. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I blew my waiver wire pick on perriman and i am starting him in place of lockett and cupp as my number 3 behind Arob and Sutton. 

Man...even with a couple of down games before last week, it would be so hard to sit Lockett.

In fact, of the 5 WR's you have listed, he would actually be my WR1....but definitely go with your gut!

4 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Man...even with a couple of down games before last week, it would be so hard to sit Lockett.

In fact, of the 5 WR's you have listed, he would actually be my WR1....but definitely go with your gut!

I want to play him. I do. he is a great WR but I can't afford for him to get the lull locket. in the previous 4 games he scored 18 points total. Including a goose egg.  Perriman has been 13 points consistent for 3 weeks and that was WITH both evans and godwin. WIth them both out he blew up last week and faces torchable texans at home with winston chucking the ball. 

2 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I want to play him. I do. he is a great WR but I can't afford for him to get the lull locket. in the previous 4 games he scored 18 points total. Including a goose egg.  Perriman has been 13 points consistent for 3 weeks and that was WITH both evans and godwin. WIth them both out he blew up last week and faces torchable texans at home with winston chucking the ball. 

I've got Perriman in at Flex and playing against Lockett and hoping for a zero from him. I really think they'll try to run Carson all day.

Have a hunch NO D will blanket AJ leaving space for Corey Davis to become an unsung hero 4/120/1td

I get the vibe Winston and Perriman are playing for next years job. I like the Ward pick too. 9 targets last week and red zone td vs josh norman

chalk be damned i am finding it difficult to put perriman in my super bowl lineups.

edit: sitting for andrews and sanders in those flex spots atm.

Ross is on my waiver wire, and I picked up Charkweek and Crowder who was also dropped. I'm not sure which of those guys is the best choice for FLEX. My gut is telling me that Ross is a great dart throw though, but all 3 could have good weeks.

Chark if he indeed playes. 

Chark owner who is rolling Ross.

Like Charks floor better, but don't trust his ankle. Additionally, I am playing against Lamar, and am hedging towards upside.