Sign in to follow this  
rcuso

Schefter's record

Anyone have a strong feeling on schefter's record when it comes to correctly calling a player's status?  I'm feeling pretty comfortable going with Boone tomorrow, but curious how reliable others find him (schefter).

Thx

I don’t. You know how humans in 2019 work. A guy like Shefty can get 90 stories right but if he gets some bad intel a couple times, he’s a hack.

As for this specific situation, it makes sense that both Cook and Mattison would sit if they’re hurting. And they’re both somewhat clearly hurting. This Monday nighter is a bigger thing for us fantasy folks than either of the teams. And now that Minny has tried to be coy earlier in the week, they are coming clean with what the situation really is. Cook is gonna try to get ready for the Playoffs and Mattison could need to be the guy if Cook doesn’t make it back. Enter the Boone.

I think it's helpful to ask yourself what exactly Schefter gets "wrong" when he incorrectly reports the likelihood of a guy playing. He's not offering his opinion, he's reporting what his sources have told him. Is it possible they are lying to him to deliberately spread disinformation? Unlikely. Schefter is a well-respected and powerful figure in NFL circles, and the moment he figured out that he was being used I doubt he would react well. Plus, it would be the last time he ever trusted that source again; his livelihood depends on getting this stuff right.

So is it possible the source was someone who wasn't really in a position to know the player's status? I guess that's slightly more plausible, but again, it's Schefter's job to know who the right person to talk to is. If Joe Blow calls him up out of the blue and says, "Cook is out for MNF," he's not simply going to pass it on. Instead, he'll work on the trusted sources he already has to confirm it.

Now, what if the guy telling him Cook is likely out is a trusted source who's in a position to know, but at some point in between his conversation with Schefter and kickoff, Cook is feeling much better and is able to play? That's still unlikely, but it probably the most plausible scenario for him getting it wrong. If it happens, it doesn't tell us much about his reporting skills or his track record; he reported information that was accurate at the time, but the situation changed.

All of which is to say that, if Schefter (or Mort, or Ian Rappaport) is reporting that Cook and Mattison are unlikely to play, you should conclude from that they are unlikely to play. Not guaranteed, just unlikely. I know it sucks to have to sweat it out until the official announcement is made, but there's nothing any of us can tell you that will offer any more certainty.

• Thanks 1