Sign in to follow this  
zftcg

A truly great idea: Give back to fantasy

This won't make up for every idiot on Twitter dragging an NFL player who doesn't produce for his fantasy team, but I think that -- in addition to being an overall nice thing to do -- it's a way to show NFL players that the fantasy community appreciates the entertainment (and the money) they provide us.

• Like 2

Already donated to fitzmagic's favorite charity... Jesus beards for everyone

I would really like to.....but during the Festivus holiday, on behalf of my family members, friends and coworkers, already donated all my available charitable money to The Human Fund. 

Don't we already show the players our appreciation by making them multimillionaires for playing a game we all would play for free?

27 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Don't we already show the players our appreciation by making them multimillionaires for playing a game we all would play for free?

Unless you're an NFL owner, you don't "make" anyone a multimillionaire.

Nah. Considering these guys stood by and some supported Kaepernick when kenhe was disrespectful of the country, I wouldn't trust their charitable endeavors. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of a few years ago, when BUF made the playoffs.  They did so because Cincy won in Week 17.  I think BUF fans donated $100K-plus to Andy Dalton's sponsored charity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nah. Considering these guys stood by and some supported Kaepernick when kenhe was disrespectful of the country, I wouldn't trust their charitable endeavors. 

There are some very trustworthy charities on that list.

Are you saying that you will not give to the Wounded Warriors because of Kaepernick?

On 12/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, stonewall said:

I would really like to.....but during the Festivus holiday, on behalf of my family members, friends and coworkers, already donated all my available charitable money to The Human Fund. 

Don't forget the $25 donation to the Elf Institute.

1 hour ago, Smileseers said:

Are you saying that you will not give to the Wounded Warriors because of Kaepernick?

Bunch of pinkos. I hear half of them refuse to stand for the anthem. (It’s because they lost their legs, but that’s no excuse!)

All kidding aside, you almost have to admire him for the rarely seen triple-guilt-by-association. It’s like, maybe next time Wounded Warriors should know better than to accept money from a guy who plays in a league where some of the players were insufficiently condemnatory of another guy’s actions. Mind you, none of these objections appear to have led HT to boycott the NFL itself, and certainly not fantasy football, just the charities that certain players support. That’ll learn ‘em!

18 hours ago, Smileseers said:

I have donated to WW before. Not anymore since their scandal. That aside, if I want to donate to a charity, and I do, I don't need half wit  morons to guide me. Shut up and play. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:44 PM, Smileseers said:

I won't give to anyone based on who an NFL player donates to. I'll base it on my own preference. Being influenced by that group for anything is out of the question.  And I don't give to WW anymore because of their scandal. They aren't the only game in town. 

You should donate to theirs if you win and then they should donate to yours if you lose.

Actually I take that back. Players should just pay back to the fantasy players only. The NFL ratings would not be near the numbers they are now without fantasy football. Fans have been leaving that sport for a while because the NFL is trying their best to make it unwatchable to a lot of people. 

5 hours ago, sderk said:

You should donate to theirs if you win and then they should donate to yours if you lose.

Actually I take that back. Players should just pay back to the fantasy players only. The NFL ratings would not be near the numbers they are now without fantasy football. Fans have been leaving that sport for a while because the NFL is trying their best to make it unwatchable to a lot of people. 

Betting is what makes the game what it is.  

Amen to your post of it being unwatchable, congrats. 

Thanks. 

Happy New Year 

1 hour ago, TheUsualSuspect said:

No donations from me. Whatever I win is mine... it’s all mine Muhahahaha!

Based on your own personal post of your teams, sounds like you give a lot to the other owners in your leagues.  

Thanks. 

Happy New Year 

46 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Betting is what makes the game what it is.  

Amen to your post of it being unwatchable, congrats. 

Thanks. 

Happy New Year 

I didn't say that I think it's unwatchable. I said it's unwatchable to a lot of people. Not me. 

And fantasy football is gambling. If there was no gambling portion to it, the majority of people playing it would plummet to next to nothing compared to what it is today.

21 hours ago, sderk said:

I didn't say that I think it's unwatchable. I said it's unwatchable to a lot of people. Not me. 

And fantasy football is gambling. If there was no gambling portion to it, the majority of people playing it would plummet to next to nothing compared to what it is today.

Again I agree with you, the game has become unwatchable like you said, and its fame is because of gambling.  

Thanks, always appreciate your insite, when does your personal commentary become public about the players going into the next nfl draft? 

I for one can’t wait to read it. 

Thanks Buddy. 

On 12/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, zftcg said:

This won't make up for every idiot on Twitter dragging an NFL player who doesn't produce for his fantasy team, but I think that -- in addition to being an overall nice thing to do -- it's a way to show NFL players that the fantasy community appreciates the entertainment (and the money) they provide us.

Sounds like Michael wants to grand stand and make him seem like a moral upstanding guy.  A true, moral and upstanding guy wouldn't need to win money in fantasy football to make those donations.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Sounds like Michael wants to grand stand and make him seem like a moral upstanding guy.  A true, moral and upstanding guy wouldn't need to win money in fantasy football to make those donations.

What the hell is wrong with you people? It’s “grandstanding” to suggest people donate to charity? 

This is why we can’t have nice things.

The cynic in me said "I bet not one church will be listed as a charity, nor will there be a single mention of Christmas and they will replace the word Christmas with holiday".  Unfortunately, I was correct on all counts.

JFC.

Guy comes up with an idea to encourage more people to donate to charity. It's just a suggestion; no one's being forced to do anything. And yet all you guys want to do is piss all over it. Questioning his motives. Bringing politics into it. Whining about Kaepernick. 

Donate to whatever charity you want, for whatever reason. Or don't donate at all. I don't care. But stop trying to assuage your internalized guilt over what an awful person you are by pretending everyone else has sunk to your level.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 2:09 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I have donated to WW before. Not anymore since their scandal. That aside, if I want to donate to a charity, and I do, I don't need half wit  morons to guide me. Shut up and play. 

You seem like you’d be a hit at parties 😄

3 hours ago, riversco said:

The cynic in me said "I bet not one church will be listed as a charity, nor will there be a single mention of Christmas and they will replace the word Christmas with holiday".  Unfortunately, I was correct on all counts.

I’m terribly sorry that your favorite charities, “The Christmas Church of Christmas” and “The Fock People Who Say Holiday Foundation,” were both not on that short list of players who had recommendations. It’s obviously a clear sign that the nation’s morals are going south. 

Also, there were no mentions of holiday on that list so I’m not sure what exactly set you off. 

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:48 PM, zftcg said:

What the hell is wrong with you people? It’s “grandstanding” to suggest people donate to charity? 

This is why we can’t have nice things.

No, it's grandstanding to pretend that winning in fantasy football is the reason you need to give back.  Anyone who wants to donate to a charity, can do so at any time.  They don't need a fake reason (winning at fantasy football), to do so.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, it's grandstanding to pretend that winning in fantasy football is the reason you need to give back.

23 hours ago, uwmalcolm said:

I’m terribly sorry that your favorite charities, “The Christmas Church of Christmas” and “The Fock People Who Say Holiday Foundation,” were both not on that short list of players who had recommendations. It’s obviously a clear sign that the nation’s morals are going south. 

Also, there were no mentions of holiday on that list so I’m not sure what exactly set you off. 

He asked WWJD and apparently the answer came back, "Find excuses not to give to charities."

Reminds me of a time years ago when I was riding the NYC subway. A guy got on and announced to everyone he was a homeless vet, and started panhandling for money. A young man who was sitting across from me reading a Bible stands up and starts berating the vet, "Don't ask these people for help. God wants you to help yourself." I stayed out of it because I have a general policy against talking to strangers on the subway, but I was so tempted to say to him, "You spend all your time reading that book and your takeaway is that you shouldn't help the less fortunate?"

1 hour ago, zftcg said:

Nope, nailed it...

Grandstand, verb: seek to attract applause or favorable attention from spectators or the media.

53 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Nope, nailed it...

Grandstand, verb: seek to attract applause or favorable attention from spectators or the media.

I'll repeat my question from upthread: WTF is wrong with you?

A guy encourages people to donate to charity. On what basis are you questioning his motivations? Why would it even occur to you to do so? Is it because the only reason you yourself would ever do something like this would be for your own self-aggrandizement, and you're projecting your own soulless cynicism onto everyone else?

Here's a crazy thought: Maybe he's doing this because he would love to see more people help out charities. Maybe he knows that, every December, people like to find causes to support. Maybe, as the Cowboys' beat reporter for the Dallas Morning News, he has seen first-hand how passionate some of these players are about their charities, and thinks it would be a good thing if more people knew about their favorite players' volunteer work.

Do I know any of that to be the case? No, I have no idea. But then, I don't automatically assume the worst of people. Except for you. Based on my limited interaction with you,  you clearly have a lump of coal where your heart should be. Just know that dragging everyone else down to your level won't fill the emptiness in your soul.

Now go to bed. I have a feeling you're about to be visited by three ghosts tonight, and you should probably rest up for the adventure.

This is the real world.  I need to see receipts before I believe anyone isn't full of shìt.

6 hours ago, zftcg said:

A guy encourages people to donate to charity. On what basis are you questioning his motivations? Why would it even occur to you to do so? Is it because the only reason you yourself would ever do something like this would be for your own self-aggrandizement, and you're projecting your own soulless cynicism onto everyone else?

Here's a crazy thought: Maybe he's doing this because he would love to see more people help out charities. Maybe he knows that, every December, people like to find causes to support. Maybe, as the Cowboys' beat reporter for the Dallas Morning News, he has seen first-hand how passionate some of these players are about their charities, and thinks it would be a good thing if more people knew about their favorite players' volunteer work.

Do I know any of that to be the case? No, I have no idea. But then, I don't automatically assume the worst of people. Except for you. Based on my limited interaction with you,  you clearly have a lump of coal where your heart should be. Just know that dragging everyone else down to your level won't fill the emptiness in your soul.

Now go to bed. I have a feeling you're about to be visited by three ghosts tonight, and you should probably rest up for the adventure.

I would encourage people who give to charities to do their own research on the various groups that they are giving money to. A lot of charities are not as on the up and up as others. You have to look deep and be smart. Don't make up a reason to throw money somewhere just for fun like this whole fantasy football angle is trying to do.

Besides, if anyone in the whole NFL player/owner/fan relationship owes to anyone, it's the players to the fans. Without fans, there is no NFL, and if any player goes away, there is always a backup or some rokkie kid to come in and take their role. Usually the latter is what helps the most in winning in fantasy throughout the year.

Just think of all the various ways fan's money gets funneled to the players pockets? In 2019 the team salary cap was set at $188.2M. $188.2M * 32 = $6,022,400,000

Now when someone wins a couple grand in their fantasy league, this guy is saying donate that to all the player's charities who are on your fantasy team? Jeez. Like I mentioned earlier, if I don't win because the players suck, do they give money to my charity? :doh:

1 hour ago, sderk said:

I would encourage people who give to charities to do their own research on the various groups that they are giving money to. A lot of charities are not as on the up and up as others. You have to look deep and be smart. Don't make up a reason to throw money somewhere just for fun like this whole fantasy football angle is trying to do.

Besides, if anyone in the whole NFL player/owner/fan relationship owes to anyone, it's the players to the fans. Without fans, there is no NFL, and if any player goes away, there is always a backup or some rokkie kid to come in and take their role. Usually the latter is what helps the most in winning in fantasy throughout the year.

Just think of all the various ways fan's money gets funneled to the players pockets? In 2019 the team salary cap was set at $188.2M. $188.2M * 32 = $6,022,400,000

Now when someone wins a couple grand in their fantasy league, this guy is saying donate that to all the player's charities who are on your fantasy team? Jeez. Like I mentioned earlier, if I don't win because the players suck, do they give money to my charity? :doh:

The vast majority of NFL fans never spend a dime on anything. They can sit at home on their couch and watch games absolutely free every Sunday for four months out of every year. Even the ones who buy tickets and team paraphernalia contribute only a small percentage of revenues, most of which come from TV rights. So by your logic, the people who the players really owe are the owners of the TV networks. Except of course they don't owe anyone. They do their jobs, which require both a great amount of skill as well as risk of bodily harm, and they are compensated based on the value they provide. It's called the free market, and it's what allows you to enjoy the comfort of sitting on your couch stuffing potato chips in your gullet while deluding yourself into thinking you're a better person than athletes who are more athletic, wealthier, more charitable and basically superior to you in every way. 

I stand by my earlier statement that you are all awful people. What I can't fathom is why you feel the need to so loudly trumpet your awfulness.

7 minutes ago, zftcg said:

The vast majority of NFL fans never spend a dime on anything. They can sit at home on their couch and watch games absolutely free every Sunday for four months out of every year. Even the ones who buy tickets and team paraphernalia contribute only a small percentage of revenues, most of which come from TV rights. So by your logic, the people who the players really owe are the owners of the TV networks. Except of course they don't owe anyone. They do their jobs, which require both a great amount of skill as well as risk of bodily harm, and they are compensated based on the value they provide. It's called the free market, and it's what allows you to enjoy the comfort of sitting on your couch stuffing potato chips in your gullet while deluding yourself into thinking you're a better person than athletes who are more athletic, wealthier, more charitable and basically superior to you in every way. 

I stand by my earlier statement that you are all awful people. What I can't fathom is why you feel the need to so loudly trumpet your awfulness.

The fans get free cable/streaming etc..? And they can watch all games in the NFL for free without commercial interruption?

How are you watching everything for free? Every week there are games that I wish I could see that I can't without getting the NFL Ticket.

13 minutes ago, sderk said:

The fans get free cable/streaming etc..? And they can watch all games in the NFL for free without commercial interruption?

How are you watching everything for free? Every week there are games that I wish I could see that I can't without getting the NFL Ticket.

If you haven't figured out how to watch NFL games for free, you may be beyond help.

16 minutes ago, zftcg said:

If you haven't figured out how to watch NFL games for free, you may be beyond help.

Why? Care to share the link? And how do you get free internet while you are at it?

9 hours ago, zftcg said:

Forgive me, but in my 4 decades of life, I've learned to be very skeptical of EVERY "journalist's" motivations.  EVERY ONE of them.

19 minutes ago, sderk said:

Why? Care to share the link? And how do you get free internet while you are at it?

LOL... he's saying to "see this guy [journalist], and donate".  Then on the other hand, to steal intellectual property.  🤣