Sign in to follow this  
EternalShinyAndChrome

Other Things Coal Miners Can Do

With all of the Democratic presidential candidates jockying to see who can be the first to eliminate all the coal mining jobs, Joe Biden said that they could just learn how to code.

Well that got me thinking. Since picking up coding would be so easy for them, what other easy things could they do as the liberals throw them on the unemployment line?

Movie Director?

Network Architect?

The days of coal mining being a viable career option for many people are pretty much over. Younger people who can do it should refrain. Telling some 40-something dude with a family and mortgage to learn code is about the dumbest way ever to make that point though.

• Like 1

I like to think I'm pretty smart so far as 40-something white trash goes and I have zero aptitude for coding. Any eighteen-year-old living in a hut in Nigeria can run circles around me.

I can barely do more turn my computer on and hook up the VPN. My computer is full of stuff I downloaded and never figured out how to open. I have no idea what 3/4 of these icons do or how to get rid of them. I was in China for eight years before a friend taught me how to download pirated sh*t, which is one of the major perks of living here, even longer to learn how to load pictures and i would love to be able to play any of the games I downloaded or make memes or photoshop.

I do now, finally, this last year and a half, have Windows 10 on my computer in English so there is now some small chance that I can figure something out but I have been beaten and lost and frustrated repeatedly and suffered many tech inspired headaches, such that I'm whipped and cowed and too afraid to try anything anymore.

To solve this problem, twelve years ago, I started making my own people. That investment should be paying dividends soon.

I have posted before about my families mining background. My dad is early 60's and hopes to make it to retirement. My brother has a degree in mining engineering and he switched from coal to mining limestone and recently switched again to mining soda ash.

He has had to move a few times across the country though, his boys are 7 and 9 and they have lived in 5 different states. He has the experience now to work in almost any type of mine although many people do not want to move for their job, it is tough to uproot a family.

If someone has a technical background in mining and is willing to move the jobs are there. All minerals are mined, not just coal. However, coal gets the attention because of the appalachias and because historically it has been high paying.

I am smart, i got out of coal to switch to oil, what could go wrong(tesla).

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have posted before about my families mining background. My dad is early 60's and hopes to make it to retirement. My brother has a degree in mining engineering and he switched from coal to mining limestone and recently switched again to mining soda ash.

He has had to move a few times across the country though, his boys are 7 and 9 and they have lived in 5 different states. He has the experience now to work in almost any type of mine although many people do not want to move for their job, it is tough to uproot a family.

If someone has a technical background in mining and is willing to move the jobs are there. All minerals are mined, not just coal. However, coal gets the attention because of the appalachias and because historically it has been high paying.

I am smart, i got out of coal to switch to oil, what could go wrong(tesla).

Talk about needing to move a lot. Go into program development as it's just as you described for your work. If you are good at it, depending on your experience and how up date you are with current technologies and your particular skill set (program language and functional area FICA, Billing, etc...), you get recruited all over the place for contracted jobs (some permanent) where you would need to move to or temporary relocate. Anywhere from 3-12 months for the most part unless you are with a consulting firm.

I work for a consulting company and I can have a home base, but I have had to travel weekly for the most of my career. Even in that company I was asked to move once to go to an area that has more work in my skill set so I would not require so much in travel expenses. I did it because the bonus offer was very generous, otherwise nah.

If Biden is talking about help desk at the local hospital at their desk, fine. Go learn how a particular computer operating system works or how a website is supposed to function or a particular program. But just saying code? It's the same thing as saying, just go acquire another skill set and get a job in that area of study. May as well be a pharmacist or a publisher. 

If the coal miners have no appreciable skills, they could always work on the board of directors for foreign energy companies. I hear there's good money in that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

The Wall isn't going to build itself - sign them up. 

That won't work because all of a sudden the left would care about them. 

3 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

If the coal miners have no appreciable skills, they could always work on the board of directors for foreign energy companies. I hear there's good money in that.

First you have to get your Father a job as V-POTUS. 

FFT moderator

Interpretive dance

Democratic candidate for the presidency

CNN expert in whatever field they want to give you the script for

• Like 1

Worms level of "lawyer". Course, they would have to get a second job to afford food and shelter.

They can join Spaceforce. Or open a cupcake store. 

Get stuck in a cave for weeks.

12 hours ago, sderk said:

Senator from California

Mayor of San Francisco

Someone would come out with a picture of them leaving the coal mine and claim they were wearing black face. 

• Haha 1

Head coach of the New York Football Giants. Why not? Everyone else is getting an interview. Way to have a plan, Mara. 

27 minutes ago, Strike said:

That's a team sport

Oh yes, this would save multiple, multiple jobs...including the canary's.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Head coach of the New York Football Giants. Why not? Everyone else is getting an interview. Way to have a plan, Mara. 

Just as long as one of the miners is a minority.  Gotta satisfy the Rooney rule. 

Run for congress......