Sign in to follow this  
Baker Boy

Trump administration to approve the largest solar farm in the U.S.

The farm, which will be located in the Mojave Desert area northeast of Las Vegas and south of the Moapa River Indian Reservation, is part of the Gemini Solar Project. Its mission is to install solar panels that will generate up to 690 megawatts over the 7,100 acres of federal land, which they estimate will create up to 2,000 jobs.  
A report in the Los Angeles Times says that the new solar farm would be able to store approximately 380 megawatts of four-hour lithium ion batteries for power when the sun goes down. 
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/energy/476489-the-trump-administration-could-approve-the-largest

5 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

cant wait to hear the reasons they hate this

environmental birds

If you read the article it is because of turtles.

Solar is the most likely clean energy to be viable (well, not counting nuclear).  I'm not sure the technology is quite there yet.  On a related note, I'm reading a biography of Thomas Edison by Edmund Morris which is very interesting; I hadn't realized what a celebrity Edison was or that he was so ingrained in the political movings of the day.  Anyway, he spent a lot of time developing things other than the light bulb, one of which was alkaline rechargeable battery technology.  We need some crazy brilliant engineers like Edison working 20 hour days for months on end trying thousands of options to improve solar.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Solar is the most likely clean energy to be viable (well, not counting nuclear).  I'm not sure the technology is quite there yet.  On a related note, I'm reading a biography of Thomas Edison by Edmund Morris which is very interesting; I hadn't realized what a celebrity Edison was or that he was so ingrained in the political movings of the day.  Anyway, he spent a lot of time developing things other than the light bulb, one of which was alkaline rechargeable battery technology.  We need some crazy brilliant engineers like Edison working 20 hour days for months on end trying thousands of options to improve solar.  :thumbsup:

I agree with this, except I think rooftop solar may be better than large scale facilities.

17 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

environmental birds

The Dessert Tortoise.  We had to put up special fencing at our facility outside Vegas.  

That’s great. I hope the Trump admin approves it. Keep us posted.

23 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

environmental birds

Left: Trump is only doing it to look good. 

Same with  when he got the hostages released shortly after he was elected.   The left was outraged.  

19 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Solar is the most likely clean energy to be viable (well, not counting nuclear).  

What a sad day when you have to look to North Korea to get our energy.

How many solar panels does Mar A Largo have?

Just now, edjr said:

How many solar panels does Mar A Largo have?

Not a single one.  Those things are too damn ugly for Mar A Largo.

Only reason he approved a solar farm was because a wind farm with windmills would cause cancer throughout the US 

We have charts and graphs of the cost and efficiency of solar power over time from the 1970s to today.  Solar has been slowly and steadily getting cheaper and more efficient.  At some point in the mid 2020s, solar will become cheaper than fossil fuels (and continue to get cheaper and more efficient).  At that point, you will be a massive conversion away from fossil fuels to solar because it will suddenly make economic sense.

This is the CORE reason why global warming / climate change is a fraud.  None of the models climate change activists use take into account this massive shift in energy use.  All of the models assume we will continue to belch out fossil fuels forever.   Some people have done an analysis and suggest that switching to solar in the 2020s and 2030s means the climate might heat up slightly more in the next 70 years but then its going to turn around and start a big wave of cooling as carbon emissions collapse.

But part of the problem with climate change activists is they also control the debate, and so when they debate climate change, they also select the topic their opponents have.  They want to make you assume that their opposition believes the Earth isnt warming up, like a massive straw man, and then attack that straw man.  They ignore anyone who says they are a fraud because future projections are wrong.

1 hour ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Left: Trump is only doing it to look good. 

Same with  when he got the hostages released shortly after he was elected.   The left was outraged.  

Nah, they'll just claim it's because Trump caved in and did what the left wanted. HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?! 

Rivers problem with solar is they take up far too much space. Although I think it should be a law that every home built in the us have them covering the entire roof regardless of usage

7 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Rivers problem with solar is they take up far too much space. Although I think it should be a law that every home built in the us have them covering the entire roof regardless of usage

So...  More government control over how we live our lives?  I really like the idea of having more buildings with solar panel roofs but I don't like the idea of being forced to.

Elon Musk Agrees

16 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

18 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Conservative, Inc.

17 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Retarded. 

Has anyone considered how fire departments feel about roof top panel arrays, and the dangers they pose ? 

25 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Plus he's a choker. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, riversco said:

We have charts and graphs of the cost and efficiency of solar power over time from the 1970s to today.  Solar has been slowly and steadily getting cheaper and more efficient.  At some point in the mid 2020s, solar will become cheaper than fossil fuels (and continue to get cheaper and more efficient).  At that point, you will be a massive conversion away from fossil fuels to solar because it will suddenly make economic sense.

This is the CORE reason why global warming / climate change is a fraud.  None of the models climate change activists use take into account this massive shift in energy use.  All of the models assume we will continue to belch out fossil fuels forever.   Some people have done an analysis and suggest that switching to solar in the 2020s and 2030s means the climate might heat up slightly more in the next 70 years but then its going to turn around and start a big wave of cooling as carbon emissions collapse.

But part of the problem with climate change activists is they also control the debate, and so when they debate climate change, they also select the topic their opponents have.  They want to make you assume that their opposition believes the Earth isnt warming up, like a massive straw man, and then attack that straw man.  They ignore anyone who says they are a fraud because future projections are wrong.

Solar technology is not going to advance that much in 5 years.

Awesome.  Now we just need to get people in power (no pun intended) to push nuclear.

It will be the largest, most beautiful solar farm ever.    And the Canadians will pay for it!

3 minutes ago, Masshole said:

It will be the largest, most beautiful solar farm ever.    And the Canadians will pay for it!

:D 

4 minutes ago, Masshole said:

And then the liberals will do everything in their power to keep it from happening.

4 hours ago, Masshole said:

:lol:

9 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So...  More government control over how we live our lives?  I really like the idea of having more buildings with solar panel roofs but I don't like the idea of being forced to.

I am thinking more like making it part of owning a home, homes have codes, build all of them with solar included, and you never pay for electricity, I think they are working on solar tiling, it doesnt make sense not to

9 hours ago, drobeski said:

Retarded. 

Has anyone considered how fire departments feel about roof top panel arrays, and the dangers they pose ? 

maybe fireball will stop by, I don't think it makes an issue

8 hours ago, Bert said:

Solar technology is not going to advance that much in 5 years.

What do you mean by advance?  Solar is already cheaper than fossil fuels in some measures, and its going to do nothing but get even less expensive to the point where everyone is gonna have to switch to compete.

1 hour ago, riversco said:

What do you mean by advance?  Solar is already cheaper than fossil fuels in some measures, and its going to do nothing but get even less expensive to the point where everyone is gonna have to switch to compete.

That it’s cheaper is a fallacy. It’s not even close when you talk about efficiency 

20 hours ago, jerryskids said:

We need some crazy brilliant engineers like Edison working 20 hour days for months on end trying thousands of options to improve solar.  :thumbsup:

OK. I get on dat light away. 

Can they hire some of the coal diggers?

9 hours ago, riversco said:

No it's not is the short answer if you are talking commercial viability.  

Add back Federal Production Tax Credits/Abatements

Add back State and Local Property Tax abatements

Add in the cost of having to have a gas fired plant associated with every solar farm to stabilize supply to the grid

Add in the extreme cost of real estate associated with building the solar farms in populated areas ( where the power is needed)   

As the technology advances it may reach the point where it is commercially viable, currently it is not close and is only a supplemental source of power. 

4 hours ago, Bert said:

No it's not is the short answer if you are talking commercial viability.  

Add back Federal Production Tax Credits/Abatements

Add back State and Local Property Tax abatements

Add in the cost of having to have a gas fired plant associated with every solar farm to stabilize supply to the grid

Add in the extreme cost of real estate associated with building the solar farms in populated areas ( where the power is needed)   

As the technology advances it may reach the point where it is commercially viable, currently it is not close and is only a supplemental source of power. 

But that's what I said, that this is something coming in the mid 2020s.

11 minutes ago, riversco said:

But that's what I said, that this is something coming in the mid 2020s.

Mid 2020s would be 2025.  There is no way that is happening in 5 or 6 years.  Solar currently represents less than 3% US electricity.  I'm willing to bet in 2025 solar represents less than 15% of US electricity.

Technology is making strides but things like solar farms will not be the answer.   As the population grows so does real estate costs, severally limiting the current technology.   The new "spray on" technology may work but there are numerous logistical issues to be worked through.  Time will tell.  

22 minutes ago, Bert said:

Mid 2020s would be 2025.  There is no way that is happening in 5 or 6 years.  Solar currently represents less than 3% US electricity.  I'm willing to bet in 2025 solar represents less than 15% of US electricity.

Technology is making strides but things like solar farms will not be the answer.   As the population grows so does real estate costs, severally limiting the current technology.   The new "spray on" technology may work but there are numerous logistical issues to be worked through.  Time will tell.  

I'm not saying it will have replaced fossil fuels by 2025.  I'm saying it will be clearly cheaper than fossil fuels in the mid 2020s.  And that will spur a mass conversion to solar.