DocNiner

2020 NFL DRAFT (who you like-rookies)

Sorry for interrupting the playoffs but wanted to get you guys opinions on which incoming rookies are worthy of fantasy rosters, whether it's redraft, keeper, or dynasty.I know about Joe Burrow & Jonathan Taylor buy after those 2 don't know who else that'll be good ballers. So I thought that some of you guys who follow college football could provide some good insight with your knowledge of some college players you think are worth drafting.

Maybe you could list some blue chip guys, that Mel Kiper will tout(LOL) with your opinions and some not so known guys who you think will have a chance of being good nfl & fantasy stars. I know, hard to project guys fantasy future not knowing what team they'll be on but I'd just like to get you guys thoughts & opinions on what rookies you like coming into the league in 2020. Thanks for all your input and enjoy the playoffs & Superbowl.

DB help, LB help, OL help and a RB please and thank you.

1) Jerry Jeudy WR Alabama- Good size, decent speed, and the best route runner in the draft. Plus the Alabama WR pedigree is unmatched. As good a prospect as Amari Cooper was coming out. 2) Ceedee Lamb WR Oklahoma- Good Size, explosive speed and playmaking. Not the complete receiver Jeudy is but could be a better fantasy prospect with his take it to the house ability. 3) Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin- 3 down workhorse back with good size, decent speed and incredible vision. He worked on his pass catching this year and is at least competent in that discipline. 4) Travis Etienne RB Clemson- May not be an every down back in the NFL, but his pass catching and breakaway speed are tantalizing. Anyone who watched the playoff semi-final against Ohio State saw what he can do when given the ball in space. Reminds me of Miles Sanders, maybe even a faster version. 5) D'andre Swift RB Georgia- Might be the most complete back prospect with his size/speed/pass catching combination. Nagging Injuries knocks him down a little bit.  No guarantee all these guys come out, but they likely will.

JROKH-. thanks for your informative input. Sounds like they could be first rounders. I recognize the Etienne name now. So.we know how rb's lately have.been taken.after the 1st round but Taylor should be a first rounder. Juedy should go high, maybe he could have success like AJ BROWN.  I'm looking forward to researching.these guys and maybe finding some gems. Once again, thank you for you insight & input.

It's really too early to fairly evaluate the 2020 draft class until after the draft axually takes place and we know where these promising prospects end up.  Anthony Miller was a beast in college, and then he got stuck in the Bears' offense and became largely irrelevant.  I like CeeDee Lamb a lot if he goes somewhere like Denver or Arizona, but if he went to Indianapolis or Washington, he wouldn't even be draftable.

So it's all still speculation at this point; after the draft, Axe Elf will be able to instruct you more definitively.

35 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

JROKH-. thanks for your informative input. Sounds like they could be first rounders. I recognize the Etienne name now. So.we know how rb's lately have.been taken.after the 1st round but Taylor should be a first rounder. Juedy should go high, maybe he could have success like AJ BROWN.  I'm looking forward to researching.these guys and maybe finding some gems. Once again, thank you for you insight & input.

No worries, Never too early to talk Draft... I didn't mention JK Dobbins, but I think he declared and will likely be in the mix at RB.

I’m going to wait for seafoam insite of whom he think we’ll be the next super stars. 

I cant wait. 

None of them. Look at MT. Best WR in the NFL but that took several years. His rookie season was ok, nothing special. Don't trust any rookies. Even RB's. Get them later and only as flyers. They are going to burn you drafting any higher than 8th, 9th round. They will be on BAD teams. New QB, coach more than likely which NEVER works out.   

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

None of them. Look at MT. Best WR in the NFL but that took several years. His rookie season was ok, nothing special. 

What planet have you been on?  Michael Thomas has been setting records for receptions since he came into the league.  His rookie season (2016) he was the #7 PPR WR (his lowest finish ever) with 92 receptions for 1,137 yards and 9 TDs, and he hasn't had a season with fewer than 100 receptions or 1,200 yards since.  He did have only 5 TDs in 2017 (he was still the #6 PPR WR that year), but 9 again in 2018 and 2019.

The planet that wins championships. I said he was ok his rookie year and that is what we are talking about, not year two or three unless I totally missed the original question but it appears I did not. That would be you. You also missed the question specifically stated rookie stars. Not ok or decent. 

The odds of finding rookie stars (assuming this is top 5 or 10) is highly unlikely. It's better to go after proven veterans to fill rosters but to each their own. I actually like playing people who draft rookies as starters. They normally end up dropping them early and by the time they recover they have almost no shot of making the playoffs.  

Give me another week or 2 and I'll chime in here doc. I'm still waiting to see if a few more kids declare or not.

At this point (only my own personal .02 of course). I'll say that the QB class doesn't look as appealing as it did before the season started. I still don't think the TE class is appealing at all. The WR group looks pretty good. Not as deep as I originally thought with some kid's flaws being exposed this year, and then other's staying in school. But it's pretty top heavy at least. What I mean by that is. The kid's that look good, really do seem to be legit.

Now the RB's. I don't recall ever being as excited for a position as I am this year. This group looks phenomenal. Even the tier 2 kids, look great.

If you have a dynasty draft, I think you're looking at 2 solid rounds of drafting. Mainly due to the RB's

9 hours ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

The planet that wins championships. I said he was ok his rookie year and that is what we are talking about, not year two or three unless I totally missed the original question but it appears I did not.

Yeah, you said he was "ok" his rookie year.  To me, "ok" doesn't mean top 10, it means maybe a decent WR3 or flex player.  He was frickin' SPECTACULAR his rookie year.

No, it's not common for rookies to be spectacular, that's part of what makes it spectacular to begin with.  You can find all kinds of examples of players who weren't spectacular their rookie season and went on to be great in later years (DeAndre Hopkins was barely even "ok" as a rookie with 52/802/2 in 2013)--but you picked a bad example when you chose Michael Thomas.  He was one of the few who has been top 10 every year of his career so far.

• Like 1

Yeah, it may be a bit early but a knew there where guys here who.followed abd knew college.ball. A stud player in college could get drafted to a suck team and may not get.used right otlr at all.thus hindering their development.                I feel you guys have very good knowledge & insight on college guys which is why I wanted your opinions and started this thread. You guys know the players that are flying under the radar otlr sleepers no one's thinking about. So, you guys opinions, info.&.insight are.important to me, and I'm sure.others as well, to help me evaluate players for the upcoming NF L and which players I'd like to target for fantasy. So feel free posting when and.what you want, it won't go unoticed and will be appreciated as well..Thanks to all who posted so far and keep coming back during the offesason.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, AxeElf said:

Yeah, you said he was "ok" his rookie year.  To me, "ok" doesn't mean top 10, it means maybe a decent WR3 or flex player.  He was frickin' SPECTACULAR his rookie year.

No, it's not common for rookies to be spectacular, that's part of what makes it spectacular to begin with.  You can find all kinds of examples of players who weren't spectacular their rookie season and went on to be great in later years (DeAndre Hopkins was barely even "ok" as a rookie with 52/802/2 in 2013)--but you picked a bad example when you chose Michael Thomas.  He was one of the few who has been top 10 every year of his career so far.

👍👍

• Like 1

It is difficult to assess rookies right now but I'm just kinda interested in seeing who the rookies are because I don't follow college ball much. I'm also interested in defensive players as.well as I'll pRobby join some IDP leagues this year. I know rookie Def. Guys aren't too dependable for fantasy scoring but if you guys know some that are worthy of fantasy consideration that's good. Yeah, it's early but I do so much appreciate the input you guys offer here. Thanks.

I'm still waiting on 1 last kid to make a decision. (He's my favorite RB, (Would be very against the grain for this RB class)). So I'd like to make sure he's available before I throw myself out there for ridicule. Declaration deadline is Jan 17th. 

But for pre combine, I'm ready to rock and roll. 

So, Chubba Hubbard was my favorite RB, but has decided to stay another year.

That's a bummer for me as I grabbed quit a few first rounders in my league this year. With that said, this class is still RB LOADED. LOOAAADDDDED! And I'll have more soon.

If you have a good memory (or if you're like me, just write this stuff down). Keep Oklahoma St. in mind for 2021 early draft class mentions. They have Hubbard at RB (to me, the top back). And Tylan Wallace at WR. I think this kid is a easy lock top 5 reciever.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 1:46 PM, jrokh said:

No worries, Never too early to talk Draft... I didn't mention JK Dobbins, but I think he declared and will likely be in the mix at RB.

I saw a mock draft with KC picking Etienne at the bottom of the 1st.  That wouldn't even be fair.  Dobbins would also be a fantastic get for KC's offense.

1 hour ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

I saw a mock draft with KC picking Etienne at the bottom of the 1st.  That wouldn't even be fair.  Dobbins would also be a fantastic get for KC's offense.

I don't think either will fall that far.  I see them going in the middle of the round... like 11 to 20.  Now, they could trade up of course, but just saying that I don't think either of them make it to the 30's.

Ok, I'll do this in a couple separate posts. Take into account I'm just a couch potato who really likes football, but knows nothing. There's also a couple other posters here that have been really good in the past, hoping they chime in also. And let's not forget about our very own granpuba. The fantasy guru. His info is top notch, and if you need a tie breaker on a player. Make it his vote that counts.

The way I normally do things is 2 lists. Normally both small also, as I'll never list a top 50 for example. I don't care to go that deep, nor am I good enough. The first list is the BK SPECIAL. It's guy's I'm all in on and I'll pound the table for no matter what. The second list is, guy's I don't really care for one way or another, but everyone else does. It's important to know these guys also. If there's a player you've heard about, but you don't see listed. Feel free to ask, I don't mind telling you my reasoning.

First, the easiest for me is the TE position. I think it stinks. Sure someone is bound to turn out good, but I just don't think the talent is there. I think you're better off actually going after guys from last year that didn't produce, but have a clear shot at a potential starters roll this year. Already being in a system for a full year, plus what I think is no competition from the new draft class really gives these buy lows, great buys.

Irv Smith Jr. Min. 

Dawson Knox Buf.

Jace Sternberger GB

Kahale Warring Hou.

• Like 1

At QB, BK Special: Joe Burrow Lsu

Tau Tagovailoa Ala (injury history, but worth the risk. Has the talent, and a lefty (very intriguing))

List 2: Justin Herbert Org. Will be drafted in the first round, so he'll have every opportunity to succeed or fail. Is also talented, but I thought he really regressed this year. Reminds me of a Sam Bradford type. If he's got protection, he's good. If he's pressured, he gets happy feet and makes mistakes.

At RB: This class went from the greatest all time, to just really f'n awesome. Hubbard, Etienne, and Hill all decided to stay in school. Kind of a bummer, but I just might have overdosed if they were part of this group anyways.

BK Special: 6 studdly m'frs D'Andre Swift Geo

J.K. Dobbins O St

Jonathan Tayler Wis

Zack Moss Utah

Cam Akers Fl St

Ke'Shaun Vaughn Van

List 2: Eno Benjamin Arz St. Want to see combine and draft weekend. Worst case scenario, a long career as a 3rd down back. Think he can be better. I can easily move him into my favorite group.

Clyde Edwards Helaire Lsu. I don't have a great feel for him. Potential MDJ clone? Just not really sure how good he is, considering his team was amazing.

At WR: BK Special. Jerry Juedy Ala

CeeDee Lamb Okl

Laviska Shenault Col

Tee Higgins Clem

Tyler Johnson Min (gut feeling)

Michael Pittman Jr. Use (gut feeling)

List 2: Jalen Reagor Tcu

Henry Ruggs Ala

(Both good kids with great potential. Seem like Tykeek Hill without the off field troubles, or T.Y. Hilton without the Injury history. Flat out bruners, but that looks it to me. Must get drafted into a good situation) 

Bryan Edwards S.Car

Isaiah Hodgins Org St.

Gabriel Davis Ucf

(I think all 3 have good upside. Want to see the combine, and draft day.) Especially Edwards. Tough to really get a feel for him. His QB was so bad this year, I don't know how good he is. If he runs fast, and catches everything at the combine, I'd definitely move him up to a BK Special. Got a gut feeling he can be good, gotta make sure he can seperate though. 

29 minutes ago, Kopy said:

At RB: This class went from the greatest all time, to just really f'n awesome. Hubbard, Etienne, and Hill all decided to stay in school. Kind of a bummer, but I just might have overdosed if they were part of this group anyways.

BK Special: 6 studdly m'frs D'Andre Swift Geo

J.K. Dobbins O St

Jonathan Tayler Wis

Zack Moss Utah

Cam Akers Fl St

Ke'Shaun Vaughn Van

List 2: Eno Benjamin Arz St. Want to see combine and draft weekend. Worst case scenario, a long career as a 3rd down back. Think he can be better. I can easily move him into my favorite group.

Clyde Edwards Helaire Lsu. I don't have a great feel for him. Potential MDJ clone? Just not really sure how good he is, considering his team was amazing.

Good Post👍, I forgot about Vaughn, he made some noise last year. As for Moss, he has a lot of Hype, likely day 2 pick, but when I watched Utah, he never wowed me. At least not in the way Taylor, Dobbins, and Swift did. Clyde Edwards Helaire should benefit from his championship game performance and Etienne surprisingly going back to school. He has great patience, balance and ingenuity, it will be interesting to see how he tests at the combine. Is he fast enough?

I will pre-emptive throw a name out there now. WR Justin Jefferson Lsu. I just don't get a good feel for him (gut feeling). I know he's a hot name, but this Lsu team was historic. They were so good as a team it's tough to get a feel for someone if they don't pop out immediately. That's why I also made my Helaire question. Good team. The greatest QB season a kid ever put up. Throwing to the top (in my opinion) WR in next year's draft Ja'Marr Chase. I need a wow factor. I don't recall ever feeling that way with him.

Problem with Moss also. Is the way he plays to the other guy's. It's a totally different style. You're right. The other kids got some sort of flash and second gear. He's just a flat out grinder (who as a result, gets banged up. Only back on my sure list that has an injury history).

I'd say a better Zac Stacy? Is that even a good thing in this day and age?

Gut feeling, he has what it takes. Unfortunately that's not a very scientific way of talking people into believing in the kid.

As for as Vaughn, (and Akers). They had two of the toughest defensive scheduals to go against. Both lines were awful. And yet they still produced. Those are probably the 2 I'm most excited over, as they'll come cheaper. And I don't have a high pick. But due to trades, some later one's.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

And let's not forget about our very own granpuba. The fantasy guru. His info is top notch, and if you need a tie breaker on a player. Make it his vote that counts.

Thanks!  That is very good advice indeed.  You're in good hands with Axe Elf.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Problem with Moss also. Is the way he plays to the other guy's. It's a totally different style. You're right. The other kids got some sort of flash and second gear. He's just a flat out grinder (who as a result, gets banged up. Only back on my sure list that has an injury history).

I'd say a better Zac Stacy? Is that even a good thing in this day and age?

Gut feeling, he has what it takes. Unfortunately that's not a very scientific way of talking people into believing in the kid.

As for as Vaughn, (and Akers). They had two of the toughest defensive scheduals to go against. Both lines were awful. And yet they still produced. Those are probably the 2 I'm most excited over, as they'll come cheaper. And I don't have a high pick. But due to trades, some later one's.

Hey great work, i appreciate these post. 

And I agree , I can’t wait to see what the Guru as to post.  

Once again thanks. 

2 WR's looking great senior bowl week are Denzel Mims from Baylor, and Antonio Gandy-Golden from Liberty.

Mims I flat out missed and am very intrigued to learn more about. AGG I left out initially. And while I still don't think he's that great compared to others in a deep class. He is still a name to know.

Denzel Mims is a kid I've grown to really like. He's definitely added to my like list. As much as AGG is turning into a smart fans favorite. I'm gonna take a hard pass on him myself. I don't really get the hype and love. 

*on a side note. WE Bryan Edwards broke his foot preparing for the combine, so he's out. But he could now become a sneaky late round draft steal for some team. You could probably pick him up late in your dynasty drafts now too.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, Kopy said:

Ok, I'll do this in a couple separate posts. Take into account I'm just a couch potato who really likes football, but knows nothing. There's also a couple other posters here that have been really good in the past, hoping they chime in also. And let's not forget about our very own granpuba. The fantasy guru. His info is top notch, and if you need a tie breaker on a player. Make it his vote that counts.

The way I normally do things is 2 lists. Normally both small also, as I'll never list a top 50 for example. I don't care to go that deep, nor am I good enough. The first list is the BK SPECIAL. It's guy's I'm all in on and I'll pound the table for no matter what. The second list is, guy's I don't really care for one way or another, but everyone else does. It's important to know these guys also. If there's a player you've heard about, but you don't see listed. Feel free to ask, I don't mind telling you my reasoning.

First, the easiest for me is the TE position. I think it stinks. Sure someone is bound to turn out good, but I just don't think the talent is there. I think you're better off actually going after guys from last year that didn't produce, but have a clear shot at a potential starters roll this year. Already being in a system for a full year, plus what I think is no competition from the new draft class really gives these buy lows, great buys.

Irv Smith Jr. Min. 

Dawson Knox Buf.

Jace Sternberger GB

Kahale Warring Hou.

I think you're spot on KOPY on these TE's. I'm especially liking.Dawson.Knox. I think he's.gonna have a.good year. .I like several of these guys to have a decent.fantasy impact this year.

As I had agreed a little early on.the rookies but all you.guys have provided really good  info & insight on the incoming players

Thanks.for your posts. Please keep your evaluations, info, insight and whatever else you feel like. Your posts & opinions are important to me as I'm sure they are to others. Great job!.

Mid-Combine update: With most of the skill position players already in the books, I thought I'd give an update on what fantasy relevant players have boosted or sunk their draft stocks after their combine performance. Obviously the combine isn't everything, and fans and media probably give it more weight than the NFL talent evaluators do, but it does have a correlative effect on draft stock. Tight Ends: To say this year's crop is underwhelming is to undersell just how bad they look. They had the rep of being weak entering the combine, and it looks even worse after. To put it in perspective Tristan Wirfs an Offensive Tackle ran faster in the 40 (4.85) than three of them. The only TE that helped his stock is someone named Albert Okwuegbunam from Missouri, who ran a 4.49. Things could change but I don't anticipate having any rookie TE on my draft board, and for Dynasty Leaguers, you will have to do some homework if you are planning on taking one of these sad sacks. Running Backs: My top-ranked RB at the beginning of this thread was Jonathan Taylor from Wisconsin. Having watched a half-dozen of his college games at least I always loved his balance and vision. I thought he had decent straight line speed, but not elite. I was wrong... He crushed the 40, with the top RB mark of 4.39! At 224lbs that is very similar to Saquon's 40 (4.40 at 230lbs). He likely has separated himself as the consensus # 1 RB, at least until Pro Days changes the landscape. If he gets on a team with a decent line, and weapons, i.e. not Miami, he could be worth a 2nd round pick in Fantasy drafts. Another guy who really helped himself is AJ Dillon, from Boston College. He is 247lbs and was being viewed primarily as a masher/short yardage back in the pros. Probably not anymore as he rocked a 4.53 in the 40 similar to Derrick Henry in time and weight. He also led all RB in the vertical at '41. So the heaviest guy can jump the highest, crazy... The other high profile backs were fine but not amazing. D'andre Swift with a pedestrian 4.48, and JK Dobbins only did the bench press, plans to run at his Pro-Day. Cam Akers from Florida State solidified his day 2 draft stock with a 4.47 40 and Edwards-Helaire made up for a 4.6 40 with a 39.5 vert and a 123.0 Broad jump. The one guy who I wasn't high on coming into the combine is PFF darling Zach Moss. His 40 of 4.65 was the second slowest of all RB's and his 33' Vert didn't help him either. He needs to rock his pro day if he wants to stay in the round 2  conversation. I'm not touching him in fantasy. Wide Recievers:  Donavan Peoples-Jones was a top high school recruit when he went to Michigan. He flashed at times, but never lived up to being a top ten overall recruit in the country. He needed to destroy this combine and he delivered. 4.48 40, followed by the best WR broad jump of 139 inches and an eye popping Vert of 44.5!!! That's like Zion Williamson level! Scouts seem to agree that the Vert is the metric they are most interested in for taller receivers, makes sense, hello 50/50 balls. Its fair to say Peoples-Jones won the combine so far, and is a guy to keep an eye on for fantasy. Jerry Jeudy, the slight consensus # 1 WR did just enough not to hurt his stock (4.45 40, 35' vert), but didn't separate himself. He's still a guy to draft in Fantasy if he's on the right team. Justin Jefferson from LSU, boosted his stock, with a 4.43 40, and a 37.5 Vert. He might be a sneaky late fantasy draft pick. Jaelon Raegor from TCU is a name to know. He was the only WR who came close to matching Peoples-Jones ( 4.47, 42 vert, 138' broad). Henry Ruggs from Alabama was the main attraction based on the possibility that he would break John Ross' combine 40 record of 4.22. As you may have heard he "disappointed" with a sluggish 4.27. He made up for it with a 42' vertical! This WR class is so good and so deep that I am not covering half of the good performances and there were only a few bad ones. If someone wants to dig deeper on the Wide Receivers or any of the other skill position players, (Kopy, I'm thinking of you), there are still a lot of guys I left out. Finally the Consensus top two WR Cee Dee Lamb was pedestrian in the testing, but then he did this, and it no longer mattered!!!!!!  

On 2/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, jrokh said:

Finally the Consensus top two WR Cee Dee Lamb was pedestrian in the testing, but then he did this, and it no longer mattered!!!!!!  

I am already on record projecting Lamb to be the best WR in the draft...

If he makes it to Denver, the Chiefs are going to have some serious competition in the AFC West next year.

The Broncos finished the year 4-1 after Drew Lock became the starter, with a win over playoff-bound Houston and losing only to the eventual Super Bowl champions.  Courtland Sutton emerged as a top-20 Pro Bowl WR.  Pairing him with Lamb would be pretty lethal, and they already have a few good RB and TE options.

53 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I am already on record projecting Lamb to be the best WR in the draft...

If he makes it to Denver, the Chiefs are going to have some serious competition in the AFC West next year.

The Broncos finished the year 4-1 after Drew Lock became the starter, with a win over playoff-bound Houston and losing only to the eventual Super Bowl champions.  Courtland Sutton emerged as a top-20 Pro Bowl WR.  Pairing him with Lamb would be pretty lethal, and they already have a few good RB and TE options.

Every College Football analyst in the universe was singing Lamb's praises before the season, but good on you to be the first to break that news on this bored... That being said, really good article on NFL.com by Bucky Brooks, distinguishing between Jeudy and Lamb. His view is Lamb needs to be on the right team to reach his potential. 

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

Every College Football analyst in the universe was singing Lamb's praises before the season, but good on you to be the first to break that news on this bored... 

Wow, bitter much?

I never said he was unknown, but as far as I know, I'm STILL the only one rating him as the best WR in the draft this year, at least for fantasy purposes.

Time will tell...

You aren't. Most analysts have Lamb and Jeudy as WR 1 and 1A. Some have Lamb as 1, while most say it depends what team ultimately drafts them. Not bitter at all I welcome the banter. It's just you aren't original. Sorry to be the one to break this news...

I concur with pretty much everything jrokh pointed out.

I'll post my revamped lists closer to the draft. I want to get through the pro days first.

The combine really didn't change things a whole lot for me, but I had alot of need fun. QB's and TE's pretty much stayed the same. The top RB's stayed the same for the most part. I did add a few more to the need to monitor list. And WR's is just flat out exhausting to go through. A broken record at this point, but it's just so good and deep. The only big thing I did was to really get wowed by Justin Jefferson. I knew the kid could play. But he had one of the greatest teams ever. A QB that PUT up the best season ever. And he was #2 to the (imo) the best WR in next year's draft. I didn't really have a definitive opinion of the guy at first and was probably alot lower on him than I should've been. But I'm all in now.

well, the last couple drafts have had a lot of franchise defenders and not so many top notch offensive players.   

The pendulum is finally swinging the other way.   it is a very good year to have rookie draft picks in any leagues that allow it.   

there are a lot of second tier prospects who are looking good too.