Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Brand new Reels

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

so the 4000 series should be good is what your saying? lol 

Yea 4000 is more appropriate for big musky but it is also pretty heavy for bass casting all day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Yea 4000 is more appropriate for big musky but it is also pretty heavy for bass casting all day

like physically heavy? Its only 2 ounces more than the el cheapo that I was using last year from walmart. Thats the first thing I noticed. I took the el cheapo off and compared them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Yeah physically heavy compaired to say a 2500

I like to bass fish but the lake I fish is freaking brimming with pike of all sizes. I KNOW i missed some trophies last year and I just don't want that again. I want to go into this year prepared to catch the ones I missed last year.  I have even went so far as to change the way I fish. When I fish for just bass I use no weight. Just a hook and a zoom fat albert grub. By the end of last year I would not even cast without a spinner or a rooster tail or a tied on hardlure. I fished with everything from a tiny ass zebco that was wayyyy undersized to the one I ended up with. I thought then that I needed an upgrade on the class of reel I was using . The jump has not been that much of a difference from what I can see from an optix 40 from walmart as far as physical size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

I like to bass fish but the lake I fish is freaking brimming with pike of all sizes. I KNOW i missed some trophies last year and I just don't want that again. I want to go into this year prepared to catch the ones I missed last year.  I have even went so far as to change the way I fish. When I fish for just bass I use no weight. Just a hook and a zoom fat albert grub. By the end of last year I would not even cast without a spinner or a rooster tail or a tied on hardlure. I fished with everything from a tiny ass zebco that was wayyyy undersized to the one I ended up with. I thought then that I needed an upgrade on the class of reel I was using . The jump has not been that much of a difference from what I can see from an optix 40 from walmart as far as physical size. 

You ever throw a Z-Man Chatterbait for pike?  They love them around here.  I also enjoy catching pike on a top water bait like a buzzbait or Whopper Plopper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You ever throw a Z-Man Chatterbait for pike?  They love them around here.  I also enjoy catching pike on a top water bait like a buzzbait or Whopper Plopper.

I like them both. Anything that induces that predatory strike. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I like them both. Anything that induces that predatory strike. 

Top water strikes are always the most exciting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Top water strikes are always the most exciting. 

I had a problem last year with these giant focking pike straight missing the topwater lures. This year I want to use some really big bombers. like 6-8 inchers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

@kilroy69 This guy caught a 41.5” pike on a Mississippi River backwater pool recently.

 

The ones in my home lake are not that fat typically. That long possibly but they are much thinner by about half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Wow. That’s not bad at all. I would swap out hooks on a lot of those though. 

Oh I plan on it. I will probably repaint a lot of them too. check the ones like the jitterbug for rotting. If there is no rust i can sharpen the hooks and they should be fine. If not I will just replace them. I was kinda surprised that he took it for 100 but he had it up at 500 for months . Offerup is where I got the 2 battles for 60 bucks each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Oh I plan on it. I will probably repaint a lot of them too. check the ones like the jitterbug for rotting. If there is no rust i can sharpen the hooks and they should be fine. If not I will just replace them. I was kinda surprised that he took it for 100 but he had it up at 500 for months . Offerup is where I got the 2 battles for 60 bucks each. 

I saw it was listed for $500 which seemed a bit much. $100 is a sweet deal. I just bought a dozen Spro frogs for $5 a piece on eBay. I was happy with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I saw it was listed for $500 which seemed a bit much. $100 is a sweet deal. I just bought a dozen Spro frogs for $5 a piece on eBay. I was happy with that. 

I can see where they would feel that its worth that much. There are a lot of sellers on offerup that try to get 5 bucks a lure. If I am paying 5 a lure i might at well go to walmart and get brand new in the box stuff. MOST of these people are not realistic at all though and just turn ya down flat. I am willing to pay 100 plus the 13 for shipping for a project that should last me the rest of the winter and be very useful in the spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I can see where they would feel that its worth that much. There are a lot of sellers on offerup that try to get 5 bucks a lure. If I am paying 5 a lure i might at well go to walmart and get brand new in the box stuff. MOST of these people are not realistic at all though and just turn ya down flat. I am willing to pay 100 plus the 13 for shipping for a project that should last me the rest of the winter and be very useful in the spring. 

That’s very common with most things, especially with fishing gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

 I just bought a dozen Spro frogs for $5 a piece on eBay. I was happy with that. 

I do not have the patience for frog fishing. I love the strike it induces. However by nature I have a hard time waiting and because of that I never set the hook right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I do not have the patience for frog fishing. I love the strike it induces. However by nature I have a hard time waiting and because of that I never set the hook right. 

I struggle with hooking up often on the frog.  I bet I’m around 20% for my hookup percentage. Needs work but love doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I struggle with hooking up often on the frog.  I bet I’m around 20% for my hookup percentage. Needs work but love doing it. 

. I would be super happy with 20. I bet I am like less than 1. I have actually given up and moved on to things I have mastered easier. But also I am moving away from using anything plastic at all unless its a grub at the end of a spinner. I am not kidding I bet I spent 100 bucks on packs of zoom fat alberts last year. The pike just destroy them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I had a problem last year with these giant focking pike straight missing the topwater lures. This year I want to use some really big bombers. like 6-8 inchers. 

You do not set when you see the strike.  You must let the fish take the bait for a solid 1 count then set your hook..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

You do not set when you see the strike.  You must let the fish take the bait for a solid 1 count then set your hook..

Oh. I understand the concept of it. I do. I want to let it take it. I want to count. That being said. In real life that is not something I end up doing. ever 

 

I do something close to trolling. Its a constant retrieve and as soon as the strike happens I tend to rip it. It has been a mostly successful way for me to fish through my adult life. Which is why I have switched to the things like rooster tails, spinners and hard lures like the jitterbug. 

It fits my ADD lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Oh. I understand the concept of it. I do. I want to let it take it. I want to count. That being said. In real life that is not something I end up doing. ever 

 

I do something close to trolling. Its a constant retrieve and as soon as the strike happens I tend to rip it. It has been a mostly successful way for me to fish through my adult life. Which is why I have switched to the things like rooster tails, spinners and hard lures like the jitterbug. 

It fits my ADD lol

I fish smallies on the Susquehanna river.  The top water strike is my favorite, but also is easily my least successful strike to land ratio.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I fish smallies on the Susquehanna river.  The top water strike is my favorite, but also is easily my least successful strike to land ratio.

A great topwater blast gets your blood pumping. Its like pinging a drive in golf 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

. I would be super happy with 20. I bet I am like less than 1. I have actually given up and moved on to things I have mastered easier. But also I am moving away from using anything plastic at all unless its a grub at the end of a spinner. I am not kidding I bet I spent 100 bucks on packs of zoom fat alberts last year. The pike just destroy them. 

You should switch to ElaZtech plastics by Z-Man.  I use their plastics for trailers and they last so much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You should switch to ElaZtech plastics by Z-Man.  I use their plastics for trailers and they last so much longer.

I will look into them. I was even thinking about buying a mold and melting them down and back into grubs once the pike kill them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta ask yourself, can it reel in this?

Man reels in massive 350-pound grouper off Florida coast

A massive grouper was caught off the southwest Florida coast.

The 350-pound Warsaw grouper was caught Dec. 29 in 600 feet of water, officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission posted on the FWC Facebook page.

 

https://m.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Man-reels-in-massive-350-pound-grouper-off-14969620.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went fishing yesterday, my buddy with a boat called Saturday night and asked if i wanted to go out for a few hours.

He caught one slot redfish, and me and another guy did not even get a hit. It was 35 degrees when we put the boat in the water I think it was too cold for the fish to hit. Although now that I do not have a boat i am at the mercy of other people when going fishing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I went fishing yesterday, my buddy with a boat called Saturday night and asked if i wanted to go out for a few hours.

He caught one slot redfish, and me and another guy did not even get a hit. It was 35 degrees when we put the boat in the water I think it was too cold for the fish to hit. Although now that I do not have a boat i am at the mercy of other people when going fishing.

 

I went out on xmas day after i dropped my boy off at his moms. I did not catch anything but it as good to cast and retrieve on open water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you tell me about the Shimano Sahara 4000 FB and Shimano Stradic 4000 FG? I already have 2 Penn Battle 2 4000s but I found a lot of lures that I want and it happens to come along with both of these. I am the most destructive person you have ever met in all your life. I am like stitch from lilo and stitch except I do not have a need to steal left shoes. I am looking for things that can stand up to someone who can break an anvil so I am seriously considering going into the season with 4 rods/reels.  I am already impressed with the difference in quality the battle provides over the el cheapos i have always fished with. Im willing to try some new brands this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Can you tell me about the Shimano Sahara 4000 FB and Shimano Stradic 4000 FG? I already have 2 Penn Battle 2 4000s but I found a lot of lures that I want and it happens to come along with both of these. I am the most destructive person you have ever met in all your life. I am like stitch from lilo and stitch except I do not have a need to steal left shoes. I am looking for things that can stand up to someone who can break an anvil so I am seriously considering going into the season with 4 rods/reels.  I am already impressed with the difference in quality the battle provides over the el cheapos i have always fished with. Im willing to try some new brands this year. 

I haven't used either of those reels but I know they have a great reputation.  My main spinning reel is a Pflueger President and I also have a Lews and Daiwa.  I usually only bring two spinning rods on the the kayak with me, the rest are all baitcasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I haven't used either of those reels but I know they have a great reputation.  My main spinning reel is a Pflueger President and I also have a Lews and Daiwa.  I usually only bring two spinning rods on the the kayak with me, the rest are all baitcasters.

I only plan on using 2 at a time. But I don't want to interrupt my stride when I break one of the 2 I plan on using.  Im never using a baitcaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

YOU are NOT helping my fishing addiction 

That's what it's all about.  I just bought a new tackle box for my jigs and now I want one for my crankbaits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That's what it's all about.  I just bought a new tackle box for my jigs and now I want one for my crankbaits.

I am always on the lookout for good finds. People who want out of the game. I jump em out and give em half 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 9:25 AM, kilroy69 said:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/810922906/

 

This is my newest buy. Its not a lot but I was cruising through and came across this. He makes them by hand and I got 40 of the 4.5 inchers for 13 bucks total with shipping. I really like the blue and the red colors. 

 

I was so happy with these when i got them I ordered 80 more of the 4 inchers before the mailman even was out of view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

I was so happy with these when i got them I ordered 80 more of the 4 inchers before the mailman even was out of view. 

Hopefully the fish like the texture and taste as much as you like the look and feel.

I use a Garry Yamamoto double tailed hula grub in green pumpkin with black flake.  I Texas rig with a black bullet sinker and if in moving water let it bounce along with the current.  If In still water I pop the rod and let the bait fall while reeling slack.  I do this slowly to create a crawfish popping off the bottom action.  I’m glad you found a hobby to enjoy for a lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Hopefully the fish like the texture and taste as much as you like the look and feel.

I use a Garry Yamamoto double tailed hula grub in green pumpkin with black flake.  I Texas rig with a black bullet sinker and if in moving water let it bounce along with the current.  If In still water I pop the rod and let the bait fall while reeling slack.  I do this slowly to create a crawfish popping off the bottom action.  I’m glad you found a hobby to enjoy for a lifetime.

I have always fished. I just never took it serious. I would grab whatever fishing gear was handy. Now that I'm ahead a little I want to retool so I can be more serious about catching the big Pike.   

The lake I fish is not conducive to Texas rigs. I like to put these fat Albert's on a spinners hook and induce the Pikes predator response. It's shiny. It looks like food. It's making noise. Let's kill it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×