Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Spicy beer

42 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea it’s not for everyone. Once you try a few good ones they start to grow on you if you like spicy stuff 

The problem with spicy beer is that usually in the "lighter" styles too much actual vegetable flavor comes through which can be off-putting.  It can be tricky to get the heat without an overwhelming flavor of peppers.  Having said that, one of my favorite iterations of our imperial stout was done with anchos and sun dried tomatoes...the mild heat and smokiness from the ancho blended perfectly with the pungent flavor of the sun dried tomatoes.

4 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

The problem with spicy beer is that usually in the "lighter" styles too much actual vegetable flavor comes through which can be off-putting.  It can be tricky to get the heat without an overwhelming flavor of peppers.  Having said that, one of my favorite iterations of our imperial stout was done with anchos and sun dried tomatoes...the mild heat and smokiness from the ancho blended perfectly with the pungent flavor of the sun dried tomatoes.

Thanks, care to share where you work?  Are you the brewer?  :cheers:

I haven't tried a "spicy" beer but I was thinking of what you described; when I imagine a pepper beer it seems like a light one and it doesn't sound appealing to me.  Imperial stout with a hint of anchos and sun dried tomatoes though, I would definitely try that.

Although @Hardcore troubadour thinks I should throw a few tabasco shakes into a Kewrs Light and learn to love it.  :dunno:

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Faggits

If enjoying good beer makes me a phag then so be it.  Looking up rainbow flags and sexy short shorts on Amazon now!!!!   

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm not a big fan of beer with a pepper spice flavor but I don't mind a light pepper spice in an imperial stout.

Same here. Our favorite local brewery makes a pepper blonde.  Not a big fan of the lighter styles but it does have a nice flavor.  The gal that pours beer there recommended we do a half and half of their pepper blonde and their oatmeal porter and that worked out great.  We'll usually do that if they both happen to be available at the same time, as both of those beers are only brewed a few times a year. :cheers:

• Like 1

Well some people think McDonald's makes a good burger too...not much you are gonna do to change their mind ;)  I would say though, if you are a macro lager guy then try a great micro lager...hell, I drink the shite outta Jack's Abby House Lager.  It's delicious...a six of pounders is like 10 bucks too.

26 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I haven't tried a "spicy" beer but I was thinking of what you described; when I imagine a pepper beer it seems like a light one and it doesn't sound appealing to me.  Imperial stout with a hint of anchos and sun dried tomatoes though, I would definitely try that.

Although @Hardcore troubadour thinks I should throw a few tabasco shakes into a Kewrs Light and learn to love it.  :dunno:

Ignore the retard. That’s what I do. Only thing he does is talk sh1t on here. Doesn’t even enjoy real life. Shows you just how miserable he is. If you notice, most of his posts are some variation of him talking sh1t to someone or trying to prove how “manly” he is. What he fails to realize is it makes him look insecure and like he’s a big poosay so he tries make up for it

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Very small micro (~3,000bbl per year) out of CT, I'm one of the co-founders, my partner and I share head brewing duties still.  Finally up to about 9 employees so we can focus a little more time on the business side but recipe development and most of the regular production duties are still on us.  We are on the lookout for a head brewer though!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

Yea I can see that. The one I posted earlier from Frothy Beard had jalapeños and cilantro. It was pretty good. Lot of good craft brews around here in Charleston and in Asheville where we like to visit 

2 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Everybody wants in on the White Claw craze. Corona will be next into the seltzer market. 

While I can't say the same for every flavor, and at risk of losing my man card, the Cran-ber-Rita's are rather tasty. :unsure:

UTI or yeast infection?

18 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

Very small micro (~3,000bbl per year) out of CT, I'm one of the co-founders, my partner and I share head brewing duties still.  Finally up to about 9 employees so we can focus a little more time on the business side but recipe development and most of the regular production duties are still on us.  We are on the lookout for a head brewer though!

Very cool!  How long have you been in business?  Do you have a taproom?  Have you produced any barrel aged stouts? 

(Yes, I am flirting with you as I just recently realized I'm 100% gay for liking good beers.  🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈

28 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

good luck :cheers:

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

Very cool!  How long have you been in business?  Do you have a taproom?  Have you produced any barrel aged stouts? 

(Yes, I am flirting with you as I just recently realized I'm 100% gay for liking good beers.  🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈

Just about 6 years...I think we did 250bbl our first year lol. Yes and yes!  We do a yearly imperial stout bottle release that's always barrel aged.  Last years was aged in tequila barrels with lemons, limes and oranges.  It tasted like a margarita stout (to the chagrin of some).  This year we just did bourbon barrels (second turn, so only mild barrel effects) - beer in those before was a barleywine.  Also do some sours and saisons in wine barrels which we usually infect with various bugs and/or brett.

If you are gay for liking good beer then I am full blown LGBTQ...

43 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

Just about 6 years...I think we did 250bbl our first year lol. Yes and yes!  We do a yearly imperial stout bottle release that's always barrel aged.  Last years was aged in tequila barrels with lemons, limes and oranges.  It tasted like a margarita stout (to the chagrin of some).  This year we just did bourbon barrels (second turn, so only mild barrel effects) - beer in those before was a barleywine.  Also do some sours and saisons in wine barrels which we usually infect with various bugs and/or brett.

If you are gay for liking good beer then I am full blown LGBTQ...

Sounds awesome.  Now my pants feel tight. :banana:

Hmmm....  I just tried looking for "Ginormous Geek Club C0ck Brewing" on Untappd but search didn't yield any results. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

UTI or yeast infection?

Yes  :(

18 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Yes  :(

Turn that frown upside down and go have few appletinis. 🍸🌈

• Haha 2

Man the retard failed harder than Iran did covering up shooting down the civilian aircraft 😂

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

Turn that frown upside down and go have few appletinis. 🍸🌈

:overhead: <----------- manpon twirl 

7 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

:overhead: <----------- manpon twirl 

did you taste the rainbow?

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

did you taste the rainbow?

I did. And it was FAABULOOUUS!  

21 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve had the Mexican cake at Westbrook and it was damn good. Only had the 1 year aged though. You could get it aged in 2+ years though but I didn’t want to spend $55 on one bottle of beer 

It would be significantly less spicy

20 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

It would be significantly less spicy

I honestly didn’t think the Mexican cake was spicy. Though I do eat jalapeños like candy and use serranos to give things a bit of a kick. The Mexican cake just had good flavor to me. Only thing I didn’t like was they make you drink it there in the brewery and won’t let you take that one home. Only beer they do that with 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:54 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I've been around. Drank all over Europe and Asia. Some were good, some sucked. My favorite was Carling Black Label in England on tap. Simple but it was cold and delicious.  Liked Amstel in Amsterdam and San Miguel in the Phillipines. The Guinness brewery was great. Presidente in the DR was great too.  All mass produced. 

Did you try red horse when you were in the Phils? That's my favorite beer. Extra strong and tastes good. 

10 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I honestly didn’t think the Mexican cake was spicy. Though I do eat jalapeños like candy and use serranos to give things a bit of a kick. The Mexican cake just had good flavor to me. Only thing I didn’t like was they make you drink it there in the brewery and won’t let you take that one home. Only beer they do that with 

It is pretty easy to find on the shelf

I can't say I've tried a spicy beer, and it doesn't sound like something I'd like. Then again, up until 6 or 7 years ago, I hated IPAs. Now I'm out of the closet, and totally gay for IPAs.

53 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

I can't say I've tried a spicy beer, and it doesn't sound like something I'd like. Then again, up until 6 or 7 years ago, I hated IPAs. Now I'm out of the closet, and totally gay for IPAs.

Join the parade my gay brother!!!! 🏳️‍🌈