Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Did Cheers ever get bad?

I’ve been watching Cheers from the beginning on Netflix the past couple months. I haven’t seen it at all since it went off the air. It’s held up really well, awesome show.

Seasons 1-5 were awesome. I just started Season 6. Diane left at the end of season 5, corporation bought the bar and Sam now works for Rebecca Howe. 

The first episodes of Season 6 are just awful. I’m assuming they’re working out the kinks of new characters etc.? I’ve seen every episode but not for 30 years. 

:dunno: 

• Like 1

yeah, it got a little stale with Rebecca and her gold digging

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers. 

:cheers:

Rebbeca was by far the weakest link in the show but I still consider it the best sitcom of all time.   Hell, they have thier very own emotion. :cheers:

Just watched the first episode and the intro to the second.  I'm  hooked all over again.   :lolv

Robin Colcord carried those seasons.

The episode where him and Sam play chess, while Sam wears an ear piece is fantastic.

Series was great overall, but Kirsty Alley did bring the show down a bit.  Never liked her.  The rest of the cast carried her.

There were still some pretty funny episodes after Diane left, but the love/hate thing between Sam And Diane was a cornerstone of the show.  

Norm, Woody Frasier and Lilith did their best to pick up the slack.  

Coach was great but Woody may (or may not) have been even better. A move sideways at worst.

Rebecca though wasn't anywhere near as good at replacing Diane.

Cheers was definitely better than Seinfeld and Frasier Crane was one of the best characters in television IMO...

it's based out of Boston, of course it's perfect.

ever been there?

(I know it wasn't filmed there, but it was based out of)

To be honest I never watched it.  Ran from 1982 through 1993. Not sure what else was on at that time, but my family never watched cheers.

I have tried to go back and watch this as well as many other classics. While shows with laugh tracks used to be the only thing on TV, I can't watch them anymore. Annoys the shitt out of me. 

13 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I have tried to go back and watch this as well as many other classics. While shows with laugh tracks used to be the only thing on TV, I can't watch them anymore. Annoys the shitt out of me. 

Anything pre-2000 pretty much had laugh tracks... 

Just now, posty said:

Anything pre-2000 had laugh tracks... 

I saw a stat somewhere that from the 1970s into the 1990s at any given time there was an average of 54 shows running with laugh tracks. In 2012 there were 4 running shows that had laugh tracks. 

I am usually an old school kinda guy that hates everything new. I am glad we shittcanned the laugh track. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

I saw a stat somewhere that from the 1970s into the 1990s at any given time there was an average of 54 shows running with laugh tracks. In 2012 there were 4 running shows that had laugh tracks. 

I am usually an old school kinda guy that hates everything new. I am glad we shittcanned the laugh track. 

That wouldn't surprise me at all...  That was something that older sitcoms did for sure...

Just imagine, being on a hit show, coked out all the time with Kelsey Grammer...then one day you wake up and think "Hey, this Scientology thing isn't a half-bad idea!" :blink:

kirstie alley was terrible.  I was super young and remember thinking man. She sucks. 

So many great moments, but I always remember the battle with Gary's Old Time Tavern, basketball game where McHale plays...

Kevin McHale: (grabs x-ray)  Let me take a look at it. It says "adult male gorilla. " That's not me. Could be Laimbeer.  

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

If the show was a 10 when Diane was on it, I felt it dipped to like a 6.5 when Rebecca first came on the show.  But I felt she grew in to the role and it improved to about an 8.5 after a season with her on it.  So it was never quite as good as with Diane, but it still beat the pants off most other sitcoms.  And it maintained quality until the end, unlike a lot of shows that stay around too long.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Strike said:

If the show was a 10 when Diane was on it, I felt it dipped to like a 6.5 when Rebecca first came on the show.  But I felt she grew in to the role and it improved to about an 8.5 after a season with her on it.  So it was never quite as good as with Diane, but it still beat the pants off most other sitcoms.  And it maintained quality until the end, unlike a lot of shows that stay around too long.

I agree. I am up to episode 4-5 of season 6 now. I thought the coach to Woody transition was pretty good. Cheers had a ROUGH couple episodes trying to introduce Rebecca. Still not nearly as good as Diane but she grew into the role a little.

I've been watching a ton of Cheers lately on Netflix and I'm almost done with every episode.  I feel the show gets better as it progresses.  Diane is my least favorite character on the show and the relationship with Sam got very old.  The whole series is amazing though.

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've been watching a ton of Cheers lately on Netflix and I'm almost done with every episode.  I feel the show gets better as it progresses.  Diane is my least favorite character on the show and the relationship with Sam got very old.  The whole series is amazing though.

I was in Boston at college from 85-89 during the heyday of Cheers; the show was a religion there.  That being said I'll join the contrarian view here where I thought Diane became increasingly annoying over time.  

Rebecca was kinda like the BJ Honeycutt era of MASH; different than Trapper but still good.   

• Like 1

Jeez. Spoiler alerts !!! Coach is dead ????

Dianne left the show ?

WTF

• Haha 1

gilligan's island held up better over time.

Friends is an embarrassment with laugh tracks

7 hours ago, edjr said:

ever been there?

i was baaahhhhnnnn in Boston.  Went back when I was about 16 to look at colleges.  Then a few times as an adult. One of my top 5 US cities