Sign in to follow this  
Bier Meister

Kuechly Retires

I made sure to handcuff him by trading for Shaq Thompson in my 14 team, 35 roster spot IDP dynasty league. You knew this was coming based on his comments the last two years.

• Like 1

Damn my nephew is a Panthers fan and we bought Kuechly jersey for Xmas. 

Probably best. His head was about pudding as it was. Hopefully he doesn't Seau himself in 20 years. Great player 

14 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I think he played 8

yes

17 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Probably best. His head was about pudding as it was. Hopefully he doesn't Seau himself in 20 years. Great player 

This. Good for him getting out early, may not have been early enough though.

9 hours ago, Reality said:

This. Good for him getting out early, may not have been early enough though.

No it wasn't. He was probably toast before he ever played in the NFL.

2nd best linebacker to come out of the Cincinnati area. 

2 hours ago, Herbivore said:

Surprised he lasted this long after crying on the field a few years back

I remember that.  I can't believe he played after that, or that the NFL let him... :(

The new NFL.  Salaries are so high, you only need a couple years after your 2nd contract to bail. Especially with the guaranteed money

He's had multiple concussions, alot of fans knew he would retire early, just not quite this early.  He knows a rebuild is coming, new coaching staff, and this year drained him.   Selfishly I wish he would have waited a little bit longer than right  after the season....given it a another month.  However hard to blame him.  Dude was a beast and every player loved him as a teammate.

First Kemba, now Luke.  😢

23 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Based on what?

Based on pee-wee, high school and college.  If the guy is retiring at 28, he probably had a pre-existing condition. NFL didn't help.  :dunno:

50 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

He's had multiple concussions, alot of fans knew he would retire early, just not quite this early.  He knows a rebuild is coming, new coaching staff, and this year drained him.   Selfishly I wish he would have waited a little bit longer than right  after the season....given it a another month.  However hard to blame him.  Dude was a beast and every player loved him as a teammate.

First Kemba, now Luke.  😢

I think because of that, we are going to see more and more players who get a decent 2nd contract and finish it, are going to hang up there spurs.  Made generational wealth and if they were decently responsible can retire and enjoy life.  Marshawn Lynch has been extremely frugal with his money and was speaking to that(in his own special way) after the last game.

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I think because of that, we are going to see more and more players who get a decent 2nd contract and finish it, are going to hang up there spurs.  Made generational wealth and if they were decently responsible can retire and enjoy life.  Marshawn Lynch has been extremely frugal with his money and was speaking to that(in his own special way) after the last game.

wasn't it 2020 :dunno:

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Based on pee-wee, high school and college.  If the guy is retiring at 28, he probably had a pre-existing condition. NFL didn't help.  :dunno:

They don't know what causes CTE and assuming that, because he played football through those years, he has CTE is false.  Contrary to what they say at BU, not all football players end up with CTE.  

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

...not all football players end up with CTE.  

But all football players with CTE got it from football.  

Just now, TimmySmith said:

BOOM!

Just now, TimmySmith said:

They don't know that.  There are a myriad of factors that go into a CTE diagnosis that, right now, can only happen after death.  Many of these guys do other things throughout their lives that could be contributory.  The people that make money from saying that "all football players with CTE got it from football" like that narrative because it keeps giving them money.  

14 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

They don't know that.  There are a myriad of factors that go into a CTE diagnosis that, right now, can only happen after death.  Many of these guys do other things throughout their lives that could be contributory.  The people that make money from saying that "all football players with CTE got it from football" like that narrative because it keeps giving them money.  

I agree with you on this. The published CTE rate in the general population is 6%. But the problem is no one knows how prevalent it is in the NFL. The brains that are donated are from high profile people that obviously has CTE. The NFL linebacker who lived to 80 is not getting his brained scanned upon death, etc.

Also the general population number could be under reported, for example a construction worker commits suicide with CTE symptoms it does not make the news, his brain is not scanned.

All that we know for certain is that it is possible that repeated concussions are one cause of CTE.

Saying that, if I was in Luke's shoes I would retire too, I would not take any further risk.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

I agree with you on this. The published CTE rate in the general population is 6%. But the problem is no one knows how prevalent it is in the NFL. The brains that are donated are from high profile people that obviously has CTE. The NFL linebacker who lived to 80 is not getting his brained scanned upon death, etc.

Also the general population number could be under reported, for example a construction worker commits suicide with CTE symptoms it does not make the news, his brain is not scanned.

All that we know for certain is that it is possible that repeated concussions are one cause of CTE.

We also know that if you return from a concussion before you are completely healed, then you are likely to cause brain damage that may or may not be CTE.  At least now, they are monitoring these guys in the NFL and not letting them back onto the field too soon. I still think that they have to do more since we know that some guys are just not getting diagnosed, trying to tough it out and getting back in there when they are concussed.

17 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Yeah, it was probably from all that skydiving and swimming with sharks.  If you have known many pro football players, from my experience, off the field they are more sedentary than the average person.  It's from football and why are we even debating it.

13 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yeah, it was probably from all that skydiving and swimming with sharks.  If you have known many pro football players, from my experience, off the field they are more sedentary than the average person.  It's from football and why are we even debating it.

How many HS and college players do you know?  Are they "more sedentary"?  (whatever the fock that really means).  However, you said that he had a pre-existing condition before he even got to the NFL.  

The former pro players that I know are not any less gregarious than the auto mechanics I know.  They often move around differently because of the beating on their knees and several are still carrying more weight than they should.  Of course, I see that with guys that I know who played hockey only up through HS.  

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

How many HS and college players do you know?  Are they "more sedentary"?  (whatever the fock that really means).  However, you said that he had a pre-existing condition before he even got to the NFL.  

The former pro players that I know are not any less gregarious than the auto mechanics I know.  They often move around differently because of the beating on their knees and several are still carrying more weight than they should.  Of course, I see that with guys that I know who played hockey only up through HS.  

Just pointing out how ridiculous it is for anyone to claim that CTE, which stems from a repeated pounding of the brain, in NFL players could possibly come from anywhere else than the NFL. So if you want to sound ridiculous, keep doing it.  :dunno: 

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Just pointing out how ridiculous it is for anyone to claim that CTE, which stems from a repeated pounding of the brain, in NFL players could possibly come from anywhere else than the NFL. So if you want to sound ridiculous, keep doing it.  :dunno: 

They don't know that CTE is caused from repeated pounding of the brain as a result of playing football.  

59 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

This is what you wrote.  You said "he probably had a pre-existing condition" because he played pee-wee, high school and college.  So, if that is true, then there are millions of people walking around with CTE and whether he played in the NFL is irrelevant.  So, if he already had it, then why would quitting help him out?  

Your points are ridiculous and are based on fear mongering.  If you wanted to say that he had plenty of head injuries through his football career, he had plenty of money to live off of and he didn't want to risk playing any further, then I would have totally agreed with you.  The rest of what you wrote was drivel.  

there is not a single chance at at all he does not have CTE. Good for him that he retired at 28 because by 38 he will be dead by a self inflicted gunshot wound that does not wound his brain. . This may sound incredibly harsh but its going to happen. 

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

there is not a single chance at at all he does not have CTE. Good for him that he retired at 28 because by 38 he will be dead by a self inflicted gunshot wound that does not wound his brain. . This may sound incredibly harsh but its going to happen. 

I just heard a clip from his retirement announcement, I came in to basically post what you did.  Hope we're wrong.  :(

42,000 concusions. Good for him. He's rich and young. He doesn't owe the NFL or fans anymore than he's already given.  Be happy young man. 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:19 AM, kilroy69 said:

The suicide rate for former NFL players is not higher than the general population. 

7 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The suicide rate for former NFL players is not higher than the general population. 

How many of them have actual soup for brains?  I mean he is probably nearing 20 concussions. 

4 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

How many of them have actual soup for brains?  I mean he is probably nearing 20 concussions. 

I believe he had 3 documented concussions. I don’t know how many he never reported.