Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

Would this be illegal for side income

I am thinking about stacking up 4-5 1099 remote jobs and outsourcing them with 75% of the income from each one.  is this illegal? Could the companies ever try to recover the money from me? Or could they only eliminate the contract?

4 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I am thinking about stacking up 4-5 1099 remote jobs and outsourcing them with 75% of the income from each one.  is this illegal? Could the companies ever try to recover the money from me? Or could they only eliminate the contract?

As long as the work gets done and you're not giving third parties access to proprietary/confidential information I don't see why it should matter.  I've heard of programmers doing that; hiring Indians for nothing over the Internet and turning in the Indian's work as their own.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

As long as the work gets done and you're not giving third parties access to proprietary/confidential information I don't see why it should matter.  I've heard of programmers doing that; hiring Indians for nothing over the Internet and turning in the Indian's work as their own.

I'm not good with legal terms but isn't that kinda just subcontracting ?

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Also, if the company doesn't want you subcontracting it out, they should have it in the agreement with you.  If it's silent, I assume you're good to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

That's where I got the idea from, it almost seems to easy.  

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Also, if the company doesn't want you subcontracting it out, they should have it in the agreement with you.  If it's silent, I assume you're good to go.

As long as nothing in the contract specifies that I can't outsource I should be good to go? 

13 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

As long as nothing in the contract specifies that I can't outsource I should be good to go? 

I'm not an attorney, but I review contracts as part of my job.  Many of the contracts I review specifically prohibit subcontracting work without prior written approval from the owner.  Before you move forward, I'd pay an attorney to confirm it in writing.  The law likely varies from state to state.

At the end of the day, the company contracting with you shouldn't care.  It's your asss on the line if something goes wrong.

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

I'm not an attorney, but I review contracts as part of my job.  Many of the contracts i review specifically prohibit subcontracting work without prior written approval from the owner.  Before you move forward, I'd pay an attorney to confirm it in writing.  The law likely varies from state to state.

At the end of the day, the company contracting with you shouldn't care.  It's your asss on the line if something goes wrong.

... and that is where the issue also is.  Any contract worth its weight will indicate that work has to be done in a professional and workmanlike manner.  If you have good subs, then you should be fine.  If you hire chumps, then it is on you to deliver or you won't get paid.

What kind of work are we talking about here?

4 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I'm not an attorney, but I review contracts as part of my job.  Many of the contracts I review specifically prohibit subcontracting work without prior written approval from the owner.  Before you move forward, I'd pay an attorney to confirm it in writing.  The law likely varies from state to state.

Will do, thanks 

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

... and that is where the issue also is.  Any contract worth its weight will indicate that work has to be done in a professional and workmanlike manner.  If you have good subs, then you should be fine.  If you hire chumps, then it is on you to deliver or you won't get paid.

What kind of work are we talking about here?

I've had the idea since I read the story that Strike mentioned earlier, but I don't want to do it with programming.  I was thinking customer service type roles since there are thousands of them, that way I could have a replacement ready to go whenever I needed it.

sounds like you are just brokering/subbing, nothing wrong with that as long as they specifically dont say otherwise

I mean I look at it like this

you could start a cleaning company, get 25% of the profits and hire a bunch of maids?  Wouldnt that be the same?

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

sounds like you are just brokering/subbing, nothing wrong with that as long as they specifically dont say otherwise

I mean I look at it like this

you could start a cleaning company, get 25% of the profits and hire a bunch of maids?  Wouldnt that be the same?

That is what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. If the worst thing that can happen is they void the contract and I have to find a replacement, whatever. If it could potentially turn into something civil I don't want any part of it.

I could but that would require me to actually work and I just want an easy side income without doing much work.  I know of a few companies that outsource from doing SEO/Marketing.  I want to line up a few of these jobs and outsource them all to the same company, pay them most of the income from each one and pocket an extra $400-$500 a week for 5-10 hours of work (once everything is running smoothly).  I don't ever want it to turn into an actual job. 

31 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

If you think it's easy to manage 5 sub contractors, you've obviously never managed sub contractors before.

Just now, nobody said:

If you think it's easy to manage 5 sub contractors, you've obviously never managed sub contractors before.

I wouldn't be paying individuals I would be paying a company, they would be doing all the managing if they did a bad job I would use another one.

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I wouldn't be paying individuals I would be paying a company, they would be doing all the managing if they did a bad job I would use another one.

You are doing it all wrong. You are better off being a consultant. You negotiate the contract terms and pricing for the buyer and have them pay you a fee based on their savings. If you want to be sketchy, then get a few from the the seller for a referral. 

You wouldn’t have any responsibility for quality of their work.

1 hour ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

You are doing it all wrong. You are better off being a consultant. You negotiate the contract terms and pricing for the buyer and have them pay you a fee based on their savings. If you want to be sketchy, then get a few from the the seller for a referral. 

You wouldn’t have any responsibility for quality of their work.

He'd also never get another "consulting" gig if the work was shitty and clients aren't happy 

1 minute ago, shorepatrol said:

He'd also never get another "consulting" gig if the work was shitty and clients aren't happy 

He is merely the broker. He negotiates the deal. Brings in 3 potential companies to do the work. Each company gives a bid. Client decides who they want. He says that he will split any savings on the contract that he negotiates with them. 

If one of his referrals does bad work, he swaps them out, but the contracts for work are between client and his partners. He is just an advisor 

Set your biz up as a legal entity.  Pick the entity type based on the advice of your accountant and lawyer.  

Market yourself as a service provider to whichever industry you’re talking about.  If they ask about sub contractors, tell them the truth and let them know your company is committed to their satisfaction.

Be careful about making sure you have legally binding agreements with each sub.  The govt will scrutinize their employment status at tax time.  There are things you can do to ensure they maintain 1099 status.  Such as;

Never pay by the hour or by salary.  

Pay for the project and make payments when milestones are met  

Don’t schedule their work hours. 

Make sure they maintain their own workmen’s comp insurance, or have a state waiver.  (Check you state labor laws to see if that’s allowed). 

There are other steps you can take to protect your biz and your personal finances as well.  

When your client is paying your company, they expect you to be the face of the company and take responsibility for your subs’ performance.  

I don’t think you’ll be able to take their money, find some subs then be hands off   

38 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

He is merely the broker. He negotiates the deal. Brings in 3 potential companies to do the work. Each company gives a bid. Client decides who they want. He says that he will split any savings on the contract that he negotiates with them. 

If one of his referrals does bad work, he swaps them out, but the contracts for work are between client and his partners. He is just an advisor 

This is a better way to go if he wants to be hands off.  

I don’t know if there’s a market for an SEO broker though.   SEO experts are a dime a dozen. 

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

This is a better way to go if he wants to be hands off.  

I don’t know if there’s a market for an SEO broker though.   SEO experts are a dime a dozen. 

I don’t know if there is a market either. I was laying out a business model that is preferable to what he was thinking. At least it would be for me.

you should buy crypto

51 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Advisers need to come through with quality advising. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Why do you think he needs side money? :lol:

:lol:

a good pyramid scheme always works for a couple years

13 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I see a lot of shitty ones out there making a living.

I believe you. Shitheels everywhere

7 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

How do you outsource prostitution?

2 hours ago, sderk said:

How do you outsource prostitution?

Fock if I know. :dunno:

• Haha 1