Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

5 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51358042

Just as likely the next major outbreak is in a city outside of China. Everyone in China is being careful, but do you think all these people in these other cities are. I really worry about a city in India getting it.

They already have one confirmed case I think.  Also, just saw this relating to what I've been saying about access (or lack thereof) to PPE:  https://www.indiatoday.in/business/story/india-bans-export-of-all-kind-of-respiratory-masks-1642102-2020-01-31

India on Friday banned the export of personal protection equipment such as masks and clothing amid a global coronavirus outbreak.

It did not give a reason for the ban but it reported its first case of the new coronavirus on Thursday, a woman in Kerala who was a student of Wuhan University in China.

The central Chinese city of Wuhan is the epicentre of the outbreak, and the virus has since spread to more than 9,800 people globally and killed 213 people in China.

Several Indian citizens living in Wuhan will arrive in India by plane on Saturday and be taken to a quarantine centre on the outskirts of the capital New Delhi.

India has taken measures to ensure that all people arriving from China report to health authorities.

If/when this settles down I highly recommend all of us to stock up on PPE, especially N95 masks.  I can't overstate how focking incompetent and short-sighted our leaders are.  

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

In the link I posted earlier. 15 day incubation so now is when those people will start showing symptoms not including the people they already infected

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/scientists-zero-in-on-the-novel-coronavirus-incubation-period--67045

It can be up to 15 days, but average is 5.2 days.

Over 10k dead in USA from our normal flu alone.  

Im not discounting Corona...just keeping some perspective.  Hopefully it starts to subside.

Coronavirus is set to be given a new name by the scientific and medical community.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51371770

How the new coronavirus will finally get a proper name
By Jasmine Taylor-Coleman BBC News

It has been referred to as the coronavirus. But that is the name of the group of viruses it belongs to.

It has also been given the temporary title 2019-nCoV. But just saying that is a mouthful.

A group of scientists has been grappling behind closed doors to find a proper term. Now they have told the BBC they are close to announcing it.

So why has it taken so long?
"The naming of a new virus is often quite delayed and the focus until now has been on the public health response, which is understandable," says Crystal Watson, senior scholar and assistant professor at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

"But there are reasons the naming should be a priority."

To try to distinguish this particular virus, scientists have been calling it the novel or new coronavirus. Coronaviruses are named for their crown-like spikes when viewed through a microscope.

Official names can also prove problematic. The WHO criticised the name Mers (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) in 2015.

"We've seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals," it said in a statement.

As a result, it issued guidelines. According to these, the name for the new coronavirus should not include:

Geographical locations
    People's names
    The name of an animal or a kind of food
    References to a particular culture or industry

It says the name should be short and descriptive - such as Sars (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome).

But for the name to stick it also needs a hook, says Benjamin Neuman, a professor of virology who, along with 10 other people, sits on the ICTV study group that has been deliberating the new name.

"It has to roll off the tongue a little faster than the other names out there."

The team began discussing a name about two weeks ago and took two days to settle on one, says Prof Neuman, who is chair of Biological Sciences at Texas A&M University-Texarkana in the US.

9 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

So how long is school delayed in China? My kids want to know.

It's supposed to restart normally on the 15th and hasn't been delayed yet. I'd be surprised if it isn't delayed.

Panzhihua is now up to 11 cases. Seven from the same family, three friends of that family, and one other that came individually from Wuhan. The dingb*tch that came here on the 21st has been in the hospital since the 28th, so anybody else she contaminated should start showing signs soon.

My wife told me some pretty scary news, one family in our apartment complex is under mandatory home quarantine and being monitored.

I've only left the house three times since January 21st.... always to the store to get something. I'm bored as heck but I do have this computer. The kids are addicted to screens, they've spend the whole holiday playing on the phones. I also have the PS4, but we've not played it. My brother-in-law came to visit during the holiday and he's been sleeping on a sofa in the spare room where we keep it, I've not bothered to say anything, content with the computer.

Soooo....last week, the stocks were down because coronavirus.
Oil is down this week because coronavirus.

Stock are up this week DESPITE coronavirus.

Bullsh!t. 

18 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Soooo....last week, the stocks were down because coronavirus.
Oil is down this week because coronavirus.

Stock are up this week DESPITE coronavirus.

It may be because the quarantines are working. We need to wait a few weeks to see what happens but even other Chinese cities look like they might get this under control.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

It may be because the quarantines are working. We need to wait a few weeks to see what happens but even other Chinese cities look like they might get this under control.

They're sure going all out to prevent any further spread. It wouldn't be for lack of effort.

(after Jan 21, full effort .... before Jan 21 is another story)

13 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I thought they were going to call it Chinese Hyper Influenza Numerous Killings. :dunno:

Kung Flu  seems like the prefect fit.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Thanks to peenie I got a 10 pack of masks today. Thanks for the link

You should post this in the Enlighten yourself here thread.  See, black people can be useful sometimes too.  Let that be a lesson to ya.  

Tokyo, the largest metropolitan area in the world just doubled its cases overnight to 45.

49 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Tokyo, the largest metropolitan area in the world just doubled its cases overnight to 45.

Yellow fever?  ^_^

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Oh sh1t.  A coworker just got back from a trip to Japan, and he spent a few days in Tokyo.  Nice knowing you guys. 

18 minutes ago, DonS said:

Oh sh1t.  A coworker just got back from a trip to Japan, and he spent a few days in Tokyo.  Nice knowing you guys. 

Were I you I'd go soak in a tub full of hand sanitizer.  The sooner the better.

25 minutes ago, DonS said:

Stay away from the but secks for a month and you should be ok.

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

Stay away from the but secks for a month and you should be ok.

Good plan.  I'll just blow a load on his face from a safe distance. 

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

you guys think Hillary is bad, in Chiner they kill doctors who try to alert people about a potential superflu

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/whistleblower-chinese-doctor-dies-coronavirus-155553261.html

From your link.  

The fate of a whistleblowing Chinese doctor who tried to raise the alarm about the coronavirus outbreak is unclear after state media stepped back from earlier reports that he had died.

[montypython] I'm not dead yet [/montypython]

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

25 days after first being diagnosed.

I heard this was false...but they all look the same...and wearing a mask...hell...it could be a shaved siamese cat and I wouldnt know

Saw something about Shenzhen now being in lockdown. I understand Titans is OOC right now (thankfully) but I'm thinking Shenzhen sounds really familiar.

2 hours ago, naomi said:

Saw something about Shenzhen now being in lockdown. I understand Titans is OOC right now (thankfully) but I'm thinking Shenzhen sounds really familiar.

Yeah, I live in Shenzhen. I haven't heard anything about it being locked down, and many of my friends are there. 

7 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, I live in Shenzhen. I haven't heard anything about it being locked down, and many of my friends are there. 

With Panzhihua on deep lockdown, it's safe to assume the whole country is the same way.

6 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

With Panzhihua on deep lockdown, it's safe to assume the whole country is the same way.

Oh it's locked down that way, with nobody going out much. I thought she meant complete lockdown travel wise like Wuhan. 

My buddy is in Qingdao- roughly 500 miles from Wuhan.

The factory has been closed since January 22- won’t reopen until February 10 at the earliest- and that’s subject to change.

Doing the same as Voltz- basically locked in the apartment- out once a week for food.