Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

8 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think it's a reminder that Trump shouldn't get a pass for saying irresponsible and inaccurate things. His words carry great weight. He said on March 7th that anyone who wants a test can get one. And yet we are testing at a rate of 300 something per one million persons

That was a bad move on his part. Telling this country of self absorbed dooshbags that "anyone who wants one can get one" was dumb. It opens the door for millions of people who don't need one to say "I want one" and then point to the lack of available tests and say "Trump lied" :mad:

Densly populated areas should get the bulk of testing. That just makes sense given the limited number of tests available. If there's an outbreak of new infections in a given area, concentrate the testing in that area. Rinse, repeat until we get a handle on it. 

Otherwise it should be business as usual for 90% of the country. We'll lose some people here and there but that is far better than tanking the economy and rooning the livelihoods of the entire nation, possibly for generations. 

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

I like it.  How many small businesses would purchase this insurance?  

Maybe we don't make it a choice. Small businesses pay lots of fees and/or taxes. Add it into one of those. I would suggest it be a percentage of Federal taxes paid. Payout during times like this would also be based on taxes paid over the past 3 years. Just in case someone is cooking the books.

2 hours ago, Leeson said:

Maybe we don't make it a choice. Small businesses pay lots of fees and/or taxes. Add it into one of those. I would suggest it be a percentage of Federal taxes paid. Payout during times like this would also be based on taxes paid over the past 3 years. Just in case someone is cooking the books.

Yeah.  That’s what small businesses need.  Another focking tax to pay.  

8 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

But muh Trump!!!

seriously. basically, it's just new york right now. other than that....looks pretty good to me. shoulda just imploded NY from jumpstart :wave:

8 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

seriously. basically, it's just new york right now. other than that....looks pretty good to me. shoulda just imploded NY from jumpstart :wave:

I just don't understand why I have to go to Chinatown to celebrate Lunar New Year.  :dunno:

12 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Or maybe they need a tax that specifically helps them at times like these. As it seems now, the Federal taxes they have been paying are going to help large companies. 

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

4 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

I like it.  How many small businesses would purchase this insurance?  

15 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Zero for one in here.

4 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

The fock we will.  It's a scare tactic from a horseshit governor.   North of St Could minus Duluth, there are 4 confirmed cases.   

You citiots can keep that shiot.  

North of St. Cloud minus Duluth is like 12 people.

But yeah....this is why I said I'm in favor of opening things up before hand.....thinking about Minnesota.  Out state is pretty insulated from the Twin Cities.  If we don't drive up to Roseau, you don't come here.  Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Not a scare tactic though....most of us are getting this at some point.  :dunno:

20 minutes ago, FeelingMN said:

North of St. Cloud minus Duluth is like 12 people.

But yeah....this is why I said I'm in favor of opening things up before hand.....thinking about Minnesota.  Out state is pretty insulated from the Twin Cities.  If we don't drive up to Roseau, you don't come here.  Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Not a scare tactic though....most of us are getting this at some point.  :dunno:

BS...most of us are not getting this at some point. Total crap.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

BS...most of us are not getting this at some point. Total crap.

What do you base this on?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

Reality 

Seriously.  Why isn't it possible that it could happen?  Doesn't everyone get the flu eventually?  Why wouldn't it be possible that everyone gets COVID-19 eventually?

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Seriously.  Why isn't it possible that it could happen?  Doesn't everyone get the flu eventually?  Why wouldn't it be possible that everyone gets COVID-19 eventually?

Well, if we develop a vaccine and get vaccinated, wouldn't that lower our chances?  Why do we vaccinate our kids?  . 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Well, if we develop a vaccine and get vaccinated, wouldn't that lower our chances?  Why do we vaccinate our kids?  . 

Most certainly but there's still a decent chance, isn't there?  We get flu shots but they are not a guarantee against getting the flu.  Isn't it possible that COVID-19 becomes something similar to influenza where it's always around and we can all get it but it's manageable?

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Most certainly but there's still a decent chance, isn't there?  We get flu shots but they are not a guarantee against getting the flu.  Isn't it possible that COVID-19 becomes something similar to influenza where it's always around and we can all get it but it's manageable?

The flu mutates a lot.  That's why every year the flu shot is different.  If you paid attention to the news, you'd know that a new study is showing that the Coronavirus isn't mutating much:

https://bgr.com/2020/03/25/coronavirus-vaccine-usa-researchers-detail-covid-19-viruss-mutations/

IOW, a virus may be long lasting, something we can't do with the flu.

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I have never gotten a flu shot and to my knowledge, I've never gotten the flu. 

I've gotten colds.

I've gotten Strep Throat (every year when I was a kid. The Dr. threatened to pull my tonsils if I got it again. Never. Got. It. Again.)

Never been diagnosed with the flu, that I recall. 

No Bird Flu

No Swine Flu

No Chinese Flu

:dunno:

49 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I've gotten colds.

I've gotten Strep Throat (every year when I was a kid. The Dr. threatened to pull my tonsils if I got it again. Never. Got. It. Again.)

No Bird Flu

No Swine Flu

No Chinese Flu

What about the boogie woogie? 

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

I've gotten colds.

No Bird Flu

No Swine Flu

No Chinese Flu

Yes, only I got tonsillitis every year until they threatened to take my tonsils. I believe this is the healthy norm not the exception.

People confuse a cold with flu a lot. If you have ever had a fever and sore throat it’s prob been a flu at least one of those times.

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

I've gotten colds.

No Bird Flu

No Swine Flu

No Chinese Flu

Interesting that you've never had it.  I have a few times but it has been a long time; I get the flu shot every year since my daughter has diabetes.  

The best story is the year we got married.  Wedding was in October and we had just seen all of our relatives, so we decided to stay home in Phoenix instead of travel back east for Christmas.  My wife wanted to impress me so she planned on making my family's traditional food for Christmas Eve (seafood) and Day (ham).  She had had a cold, and then a week later, just before Christmas, I got sick.  I was totally laid up; my throat was so sore I just spit into a cup while lying on the couch under a blanket shivering.  I sure as heck wasn't eating any solid food.  She, having thought I had what she had, though that she married a total wimp who couldn't handle a simple cold.  Luckily for me,  she got what I had afterwards and realized it was nasty.  :D

11 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I really don't want or expect a govt. handout, but this stimulus package won't help my family at all.  

My biz has always been debt free.  I'm not interested in taking out an SBA loan just to pay overhead temporarily.  It looks like streamlined SBA loans are the only thing being offered to small businesses.  So, as always, we'll have to sink or swim on our own.

We put everything we had into this biz and have worked our asses off for 9 years to get to where we are today.  We've lost at least 5 weeks of our prime selling season, and will likely lose more.  March - May typically represents 40% of our annual sales.  June and July are are another 27%.  

I've written to our landlord to find see if we can renegotiate the lease terms or if they can defer payments while we're shut down.  Not sure how that's gonna go.  The place is owned by a private group who bought the entire strip center as a place to park some money.  I imagine all their other tenants around the country will be asking the same.  They're in a really tough spot.  They won't wanna lose tenants because leasing the space will be extremely difficult in the coming months/years.  But what will they do for cash flow if they let all their tenants slide for a few months?

It's a helluva mess.  

You sound like exactly the kind of person this stimulus is designed to help.

Take it from me, it royally sucks to have zero income. I'm just eating away at my savings. That can go on a while but not forever. If this is what helps your business to stay afloat, I recommend reconsidering.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Take it from me, it royally sucks to have zero income. I'm just eating away at my savings. That can go on a while but not forever. If this is what helps your business to stay afloat, I recommend reconsidering.

How long do you have? Could you make it until next school year?

I have zero faith in humanity. All we have to do is sit our azz at home. Doctors and nurses are risking their focking lives every day. They are running out of masks and other PPE. But NOOOOO one 60 degree day in Michigan and people flock to the Ice cream parlor. Don't worry people aren't getting too close to each other. FOCK all we have to do is sit at home. Is that so hard? We all have literally any movie we want to watch, book we want to read, game we want to play, whatever at our fingertips. We can facetime or zoom or whatever with all of our loved ones. We can have groceries delivered to our doors, or brought straight to our cars. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE TO GO IN TO GET GROCERIES!!! Hell restaurants will bring food to your car like a drive-in.

ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS STAY FOCKING HOME FOR FOCK SAKES!

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

How long do you have? Could you make it until next school year?

I should be fine but plans to travel stateside for summer are likely curtailed even if the virus disappears tomorrow.

Each weekend since Feb 15th, I'm sitting on my ass rather than earning money for my family. Everything is coming out of it's shell in China except for the schools. It's like I'm the only one not working. I wonder if I can do some white monkey job (they pay you to be white and attend a meeting and look important, or one time I performed a fake wedding ceremony).

11 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I have zero faith in humanity. All we have to do is sit our azz at home. Doctors and nurses are risking their focking lives every day. They are running out of masks and other PPE. But NOOOOO one 60 degree day in Michigan and people flock to the Ice cream parlor. Don't worry people aren't getting too close to each other. FOCK all we have to do is sit at home. Is that so hard? We all have literally any movie we want to watch, book we want to read, game we want to play, whatever at our fingertips. We can facetime or zoom or whatever with all of our loved ones. We can have groceries delivered to our doors, or brought straight to our cars. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE TO GO IN TO GET GROCERIES!!! Hell restaurants will bring food to your car like a drive-in.

Agreed.  Another thing that amazes me is how many jobs are considered essential.  Today I talked to a woman whose daughter works for the retailer Sherwin Williams.  They sell paint.  They are considered essential.  I had no idea paint was essential.  Either we are going to take this seriously, all buckle down and get through it ASAP, or we are not.  These half measures are pissing me off.  

3 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Agreed.  Another thing that amazes me is how many jobs are considered essential.  Today I talked to a woman whose daughter works for the retailer Sherwin Williams.  They sell paint.  They are considered essential.  I had no idea paint was essential.  Either we are going to take this seriously, all buckle down and get through it ASAP, or we are not.  These half measures are pissing me off.  

People need to paint. I mean if we can't paint my bathroom I don't want to live.

29 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I should be fine but plans to travel stateside for summer are likely curtailed even if the virus disappears tomorrow.

Each weekend since Feb 15th, I'm sitting on my ass rather than earning money for my family. Everything is coming out of it's shell in China except for the schools. It's like I'm the only one not working. I wonder if I can do some white monkey job (they pay you to be white and attend a meeting and look important, or one time I performed a fake wedding ceremony).

I would assume companies over there need product descriptions, and/or other jobs for english speakers. Half of what I buy on amazon still looks like it is written by someone poorly using google translate.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I would assume companies over there need product descriptions, and/or other jobs for english speakers. Half of what I buy on amazon still looks like it is written by someone poorly using google translate.

That's actually a great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

That's actually a great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Just make sure nothing is lost in translation. 

Yeah, I’m taking this thing pretty serious, doing what I’m asked. It ain’t fun with two little kids, but it’s the right thing. A-holes can’t sit put for a few days? 

17 minutes ago, frank said:

Just make sure nothing is lost in translation. 

One of my friends is mutual friends with a guy that does translation. We've had dinner a couple of time and he'd never offered nor I asked for work but it's something I'll look into. My son is using my phone for school, they have national TV shows for each grade and he tele-commutes with his local teachers. but when I get my hands back on my phone, I'll make a call or two.

24 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Crap. Shelter-in-place just instituted in Colorado.

Damnit.  Of all the times to be in a porta-potty.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

It probably goes without saying, but I respect your opinions on this. 

I’m just reluctant to borrow money to pay tenancy and ops costs for a stagnant biz.  

Let’s say I borrow $10K to pay rent/cam/utilities for a few months.  That satisfies the landlord and the utility companies short term. 

They get their money but I’m effectively shut down and producing 0 income for that same time period. 

I’d be taking on debt just to prevent defaulting on my lease, hoping I’ll have the  opportunity to  reopen and start selling again.  

It would behoove my landlord to renegotiate the lease or defer payments for a period of time.  The issue is whether they are in’s strong  enough financial position to do that. 

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I went to get a drive thru car wash today.  No human contact whatsoever.   I was appalled by the number of people out and about.  

There were dozens of cars lined up  to use the vaccums, but they were all shut off.   Nobody could understand why.  

Focking morons. 

2 hours ago, fandandy said:

Don’t get me started.  

55 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

It probably goes without saying, but I respect your opinions on this. 

I’m just reluctant to borrow money to pay tenancy and ops costs for a stagnant biz.  

Let’s say I borrow $10K to pay rent/cam/utilities for a few months.  That satisfies the landlord and the utility companies short term. 

They get their money but I’m effectively shut down and producing 0 income for that same time period. 

I’d be taking on debt just to prevent defaulting on my lease, hoping I’ll have the  opportunity to  reopen and start selling again.  

It would behoove my landlord to renegotiate the lease or defer payments for a period of time.  The issue is whether they are in’s strong  enough financial position to do that. 

So you think your better option is to remain debt free, stash everything in your basement and suspend work for a while, then re-open later? When the crisis clears, how fast do you think that you can you get back up and running?