Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

It’s trendy and you are trying to be that.  You mentioned it in your op regarding g your wife make these things.

Yes, she knows how to sew and she has started making them.  I'm trendy to not want to get Coronavirus?  Good point, I should have licked the counter at Ace instead, that would have been the manly thing to do.  Even manlier would have been to then come home and coughed on my Type 1 diabetic daughter.  Fock yeah$#@!  :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Yes, she knows how to sew and she has started making them.  I'm trendy to not want to get Coronavirus?  Good point, I should have licked the counter at Ace instead, that would have been the manly thing to do.  Even manlier would have been to then come home and coughed on my Type 1 diabetic daughter.  Fock yeah$#@!  :thumbsup:

I was going going this.

My wife has started making masks out of leftover quilting fabric and we've decided to wear them when we need to go out, in part to start the process of socializingthem. 

Hope you stay safe.

Masks are like condoms.  They aren’t guaranteed to work and may even cause more harm than good.  Constantly adjusting a poorly fit mask likely causes more face touches.  I think the best bet is a full face mask and a straight jacket.

4 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Masks are like condoms.  They aren’t guaranteed to work and may even cause more harm than good.  Constantly adjusting a poorly fit mask likely causes more face touches.  I think the best bet is a full face mask and a straight jacket.

Not according to this important person: https://medium.com/@thejanellemj/please-join-me-in-wearing-a-mask-71e0e3f4fe4a

36 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I was going going this.

My wife has started making masks out of leftover quilting fabric and we've decided to wear them when we need to go out, in part to start the process of socializingthem. 

Hope you stay safe.

"Socializing" means to get people used to seeing people wear them other than Asians, in hopes that more people will feel like it is OK and adopt the practice themselves.  I'm not doing tik tok videos or whatever.

in 2017 the us averaged about 8k deaths a day. Are there stats out there to represent the current pace ? :dunno:

2 minutes ago, drobeski said:

in 2017 the us averaged about 8k deaths a day. Are there stats out there to represent the current pace ? :dunno:

I bet its way down, with no bars open, people not working traffic deaths have to drop a ton

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I bet its way down, with no bars open, people not working traffic deaths have to drop a ton

I just looked it up. It's crazy to think we average 3200 deaths a car from car accidents 

Just now, bandrus1 said:

I just looked it up. It's crazy to think we average 3200 deaths a car from car accidents 

a month? No way thats a day, that would be 1.168 million a year

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

a month? No way thats a day, that would be 1.168 million a year

Oops sorry this was global my bad

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

6 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Oops sorry this was global my bad

Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

ok, still wow

so coronavirus is saving lives potentially

Interesting. If you look into it, the same day that Kobe Bryant's death dominated the headlines, and there is a huge front page story right next to it in USA today about the race to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus which was racing through China at the time.

Completely ignored while the Kobe story dominated the news cycle for days afterward.

Google it. 

10 hours ago, fandandy said:

I ordered 10 x 25 3.5 mil plastic sheeting and some furring strips from HD.  I haven't picked it up yet but I'm thinking of installing some sort of sneeze/cough shield at the register.  Connect it to the ceiling and protect us all from each other as best I can.  It might look kinda hillbilly but I think it would be relatively effective.  It's impossible for me to make ppl stand 6 ft away and pay.  

It’s getting to the point where you need to take drastic measures. 

10 hours ago, HTH said:

Anyone know where to pick up Masks and Gloves?

TIA

Surgical masks are available over the counter in China. It's 180 yuan for a box of 50 surgical masks (~$26). And then shipping.

I've got no problem helping you guys out. I know full well personally, how Fireballer did good by me when I was in need of masks. He sent me N95s for free and ate the shipping cost. I don't know that I could pick up the cost of masks and shipping like that, but I am certainly willing to take my ass to the pharmacy and then post office on behalf of anyone here.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/not-wearing-masks-protect-against-coronavirus-big-mistake-top-chinese-scientist-says

Q: What can other countries learn from the way China has approached COVID-19?

A: Social distancing is the essential strategy for the control of any infectious diseases, especially if they are respiratory infections. First, we used “nonpharmaceutical strategies,” because you don’t have any specific inhibitors or drugs and you don’t have any vaccines. Second, you have to make sure you isolate any cases. Third, close contacts should be in quarantine: We spend a lot of time trying to find all these close contacts, and to make sure they are quarantined and isolated. Fourth, suspend public gatherings. Fifth, restrict movement, which is why you have a lockdown, the cordon sanitaire in French.

Q: What mistakes are other countries making?

A: The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.

This sh!t is going to spread like gangbusters here and it's not going Trump's fault.  It going to be caused by the fact that America is a collection of really stupid people and we won't do what is necessary to contain this as China did.  

Just the debate being had today of whether or not it is constitutional to quarantine New York.  Give me a focking break.  We suck.

8 minutes ago, fandandy said:

This sh!t is going to spread like gangbusters here and it's not going Trump's fault.  It going to be caused by the fact that America is a collection of really stupid people and we won't do what is necessary to contain this as China did. 

I was at the grocery store today in my n95 mask, and I saw one family where the mom put on chapstick in during shopping, a guy talking on his cell phone the whole time, and another woman drinking water while shopping.

I went at 8 pm, after a rainstorm, and the store was empty. I cannot imagine what it looks like at 10 am on a saturday when everyone is shopping. People do not care and think this is a common cold.

44 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Just the debate being had today of whether or not it is constitutional to quarantine New York.  Give me a focking break.  We suck.

It's easier for China and many other countries because in the US if a cop tries to tell someone to stay in their house, they'll get cursed out.  In other countries, if they try to pull that, they know they're going to get touched up.

The people here live behind a Chinese firewall of information and get their news in Chinese from Chinese sources and the official spin on this is out of control. Even otherwise smart people who can speak foreign languages largely don't know anything.

The notion that eating bats and pangolins with diseases that can jump from animals to humans is not disseminated nor readily understood. They had starvation and famine here 60-70 years ago and so eating anything that moves is part of their culture. The unsanitary conditions of the food markets or the lack of soap being available for washing hands before people eat, even in nice restaurants, all contribute to why these things always start in China. But people don't know that.

They do know that the Hubei government cracked down on the doctor that first reported the sickness to the world and silenced him and treated him like a troublemaker but that's been swept under the rug now and they've largely forgotten.

Comical as it sounds, you'd be amazed at how widespread the belief is that people here are convincing themselves that some Snidley Whiplash CIA figure was twirling his mustache and attended some military games ceremony in Wuhan and that's how it started. I don't rightly know if the US even sent a delegation but that doesn't matter, that's what's getting all the play.

I know how it must seem unbelievably stupid but this is the kind of thing you hear from otherwise smart people. Spreading a disease you have no cure for, are unprepared for, with no masks or breathing apparatuses or test kits or medicines or vaccines. It doesn't have to make sense, they have no idea what is going on in the US.

Then there is the belief that it is a variant of the flu which kills 200K-600K a year, numbers that shock Americans, I sure didn't know that many died, I don't think of the flu as particularly dangerous, but Chinese don't know about it at all and foreign news reports can be spun that way too.

Which is another thing, US media, particularly the anti-Trump raving lunatics like Rachel Maddow, get a lot of play here to again blame the US and the spin is incredible.

8 hours ago, fandandy said:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/not-wearing-masks-protect-against-coronavirus-big-mistake-top-chinese-scientist-says

Q: What can other countries learn from the way China has approached COVID-19?

A: Social distancing is the essential strategy for the control of any infectious diseases, especially if they are respiratory infections. First, we used “nonpharmaceutical strategies,” because you don’t have any specific inhibitors or drugs and you don’t have any vaccines. Second, you have to make sure you isolate any cases. Third, close contacts should be in quarantine: We spend a lot of time trying to find all these close contacts, and to make sure they are quarantined and isolated. Fourth, suspend public gatherings. Fifth, restrict movement, which is why you have a lockdown, the cordon sanitaire in French.

Q: What mistakes are other countries making?

A: The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.

Should Trump be telling everyone to take more serious and advise us all to wear masks?

23 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Looks like 2,500 urns to me assuming each box represents 1 urn.

I'm not saying the numbers are BS but the picture seems to match the 2,500 number.

That is one of seven crematories in the city, with more thought the province. 

33 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Should Trump be telling everyone to take more serious and advise us all to wear masks?

I don't think so. There is already a shortage of masks for health professionals. 

14 minutes ago, Leeson said:

I don't think so. There is already a shortage of masks for health professionals. 

That is true but we have other ways to protect ourselves other than buying masks.  They can be made.

Should the US have sent the amount of medical supplies to China before this blew up here?  Should it have been made a bigger deal in the US back then?

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That is true but we have other ways to protect ourselves other than buying masks.  They can be made.

Should the US have sent the amount of medical supplies to China before this blew up here?  Should it have been made a bigger deal in the US back then?

I don't know. And right now, I don't care about what anyone did leading up to this point. All efforts should be on protecting the citizens of this country. I don't believe that we can make enough masks for the entire population to properly use (dispose of after 1 use) and supply medical workers. 

The best thing people can do is to stay home if they don't have to go out. They don't need a mask at home.

Just now, Leeson said:

I don't know. And right now, I don't care about what anyone did leading up to this point. All efforts should be on protecting the citizens of this country. I don't believe that we can make enough masks for the entire population to properly use (dispose of after 1 use) and supply medical workers. 

The best thing people can do is to stay home if they don't have to go out. They don't need a mask at home.

I agree with that, I just wish people would take the recommendation to stay more serious.  WAY too many people ignoring that they need to stay home.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Unless he has an uncanny ability to pulls N95 masks out of his ass it really doesn't matter what he advises.  That industry, among many others, was allowed to move overseas.  This has been pointed out by me since like page 3 of the Doomsday thread.  The other point I made very early was social unrest and the fact that the USA has 400 million firearms.  I remember arguing with some dope who said we were so much better prepared to handle this outbreak than China and why was I bringing up guns?

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I agree with that, I just wish people would take the recommendation to stay more serious.  WAY too many people ignoring that they need to stay home.

This is exactly why I don't think they should tell everyone to wear masks. The demand would greatly outpace the supply of masks. It would become the new toilet paper. 

Just now, Leeson said:

This is exactly why I don't think they should tell everyone to wear masks. The demand would greatly outpace the supply of masks. It would become the new toilet paper. 

Toilet paper has become the new masks.  They have been nearly impossible to buy for a couple of months, especially the N95 variety, and if you could find them the price was through the roof usually from 3rd party sellers trying to make a buck.

Just now, fandandy said:

Toilet paper has become the new masks.  They have been nearly impossible to buy for a couple of months, especially the N95 variety, and if you could find them the price was through the roof usually from 3rd party sellers trying to make a buck.

If we stay at home, we don't need masks or toilet paper. Although the lack of TP could cause problems. 

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/california-news/shredded-t-shirts-used-as-toilet-paper-back-up-city-sewer/

9 minutes ago, Leeson said:

If we stay at home, we don't need masks or toilet paper. Although the lack of TP could cause problems. 

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/california-news/shredded-t-shirts-used-as-toilet-paper-back-up-city-sewer/

Oh, I agree that a lack of toilet paper is a big problem.  That could have been avoided very easily had grocery and warehouse-style stores put a limit in place from the beginning.  Allowing ppl to fill carts to the brim with toilet paper was downright stupid.  It boggles my mind how a company such as Walmart or Costco etc. wouldn't have a policy in place to prevent that until after it was too late.

5 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Not loading this morning. I looked at it last night about 8pm and everything was fine.

1 minute ago, Leeson said:

Not loading this morning. I looked at it last night about 8pm and everything was fine.

Thanks.  Same here.  Weird.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:21 AM, Baker Boy said:

Dr. Drew Says The Coronavirus Scare Is Being Over-hyped

Drew said that he believes the media in particular is "overreacting" to this scare and needs to leave the reporting of medical information to the experts. "If we have a pandemic (which is a word the press LOVES to throw around) I won't know how to tell that we're actually having a pandemic, because everything is an emergency!", He exclaimed on the show. So True! We've become a culture of over-hyped EVERYTHING in the news. 

He reminded everyone that "you're more likely to die from influenza". It's fatality rate is still lower than most diseases and over 5,000 people have died from the flu in just the past few weeks. He called the Coronavirus disease a mild respiratory infection that can turn into worse. "Wash our hands, get your influenza vaccines, listen to the CDC, if there is a problem, they will let us know."

https://949thebull.iheart.com/featured/otis-the-o-show/content/2020-02-27-dr-drew-says-the-coronavirus-scare-is-being-over-hyped/

Perusing through another thread and found this.  Yikes.

All this 20 / 20 hindsight, Monday morning quarterbacking is really irritating me.  Anyone alive today has never gone through anything like this, we are in uncharted waters.  Things change daily, there is new data,  new findings, on and on.  This old standard by people and the media to not allow anyone to evolve during a time like this is beyond ridiculous.  It's only done to throw political shade and doesn't help anyone in anyway.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

All this 20 / 20 hindsight, Monday morning quarterbacking is really irritating me.  Anyone alive today has never gone through anything like this, we are in uncharted waters.  Things change daily, there is new data,  new findings, on and on.  This old standard by people and the media to not allow anyone to evolve during a time like this is beyond ridiculous.  It's only done to throw political shade and doesn't help anyone in anyway.

Uh huh....go back and read through some of these threads.  It's not all 20/20.  Some people were questioning people who were minimizing this.  Some people thought it was fake news.

Sheesh.

16 minutes ago, FeelingMN said:

Perusing through another thread and found this.  Yikes.

Sadly, stupidity is a far more endemic condition than any virus. 

Half of the cases and deaths are in NY and NJ.

Since January, health authorities have identified more than 121,000 Covid-19 cases throughout the United States. So far, 2,054 — about 1.7% — of those patients have died.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

influenza — known as the common flu — has infected as many as 45 million Americans since October and killed as many as 46,000, according to estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:31 PM, drobeski said:

The media's irresponsible omg pancic hoax led to some selling off, but team trump b!tch slapped them and things have seemed to calm down. 

:rolleyes: