Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

9 minutes ago, Leeson said:

Yeah, I watched this live. Fauci went on to state that he is not a financial person and his purpose was to give the scientific information. He's not the person that tells others what to do, he simply gives his opinion based on facts and let's others do as they see fit.

I suspect the GOP may be looking for another scapegoat if they can't pin this all on China. 

Why can’t we pin it on China? What’s wrong with that? 

8 minutes ago, Leeson said:

Yeah, I watched this live. Fauci went on to state that he is not a financial person and his purpose was to give the scientific information. He's not the person that tells others what to do, he simply gives his opinion based on facts and let's others do as they see fit.

I suspect the GOP may be looking for another scapegoat if they can't pin this all on China. 

Rand Paul is from the same state as Mitch McConnell.   Imagine the odds of having 2 of the top 10 political scumbags both be from the same state. 

Just now, The Observer said:

Rand Paul is from the same state as Mitch McConnell.   Imagine the odds of having 2 of the top 10 political scumbags both be from the same state. 

California and NY say hold my beer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Leeson said:

Its already pinned on China by reality and facts. What kind of idiot doesn't know that ?

Another fact, Fauci gave that Wuhan lab 3.7 million to continue virus modifications after they were banned in the states.

Did you drones know that fact or was that withheld from you ?

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

California and NY say hold my beer. 

No one that is anywhere near as disgusting as the Kentucky duo

1 minute ago, The Observer said:

No one that is anywhere near as disgusting as the Kentucky duo

Ok

Doing the most testing in the world.  Not surprised. MATA

3 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Its already pinned on China by reality and facts. What kind of idiot doesn't know that ?

Another fact, Fauci gave that Wuhan lab 3.7 million to continue virus modifications after they were banned in the states.

Did you drones know that fact or was that withheld from you ?

Wait, you say that Fauci gave Wuhan $3.7 million. But then you say I'm wrong about Fauci being the scapegoat. Which is it. 

Since you didn't site any reference to your facts, I will:

Snopes: 

What's True

A portion of $3.7 million in grants awarded between 2014 and 2019 by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to EcoHealth Alliance, a global environmental health nonprofit organization, helped fund research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology in China. 

What's False

However, not all of that $3.7 million went to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and not all of the funding took place under the Obama administration. Approximately $700,000 of the $3.7 million total was approved under Donald Trump.

USA Today:

During a news conference April 17, a Newsmax reporter asked Trump about the grant money. "We will end that grant very quickly,” Trump said. “It was made a number of years ago. Who was president then, I wonder?"

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Doing the most testing in the world.  Not surprised. MATA

Nearly 3 times more deaths than anyone in the world. Unacceptable. Massive failure of leadership

2 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Nearly 3 times more deaths than anyone in the world. Unacceptable. Massive failure of leadership

Glad you’ve given up on your testing misinformation.  You need to start keeping up. 

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Glad you’ve given up on your testing misinformation.  You need to start keeping up. 

39th in the world in testing per capita.  I haven't given up on anything. Facts are facts.  Even when they sting

4 minutes ago, The Observer said:

39th in the world in testing per capita.  I haven't given up on anything. Facts are facts.  Even when they sting

Source? I’ll look it up. 

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I don’t know, would it? You can find a graph that supports any narrative if you focus it. Total tests, who cares about anything else? Not total tests by per sub capita when the moon is full in a specific county in Alaska on the fortnight of the equinox and between 5 and 7pm whatever.

7 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

So looks like we’re doing great. But I’ll need Newbies source to compare. Still waiting. 

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

I don’t know, would it? You can find a graph that supports any narrative if you focus it. Total tests, who cares about anything else? Not total tests by per sub capita when the moon is full in a specific county in Alaska on the fortnight of the equinox and between 5 and 7pm whatever.

I just think it makes sense to put things in a little perspective.  I know Trump likes to brag about anything that involves him being ranked first and that makes sense but I think it's important to look a little deeper into the numbers.  As one of the most populated and advanced countries in the world, we should most definitely be at the top for total tests.  Should that be impressive or expected?  I think it should be expected.

Looking at the per thousand data gives us a better idea of how well we are actually doing.  It's still not the perfect data to go by but I think it's better than just looking at the total number overall.

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So looks like we’re doing great. But I’ll need Newbies source to compare. Still waiting. 

Yes we need Newbie to bring the facts.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Separate by 'tests/1 mil pop'  We were 39th yesterday .  42nd two weeks ago.   If you wait a month or two, we'll be doing better as each country gets better and needs to test less while we still struggle. hth

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Are we really doing great though?  It's not terrible but I think it could be much better.  

Michael Jordan was great but if you look at his stats per every other 10th shot taken left handed on surfaces made in the eastern hemisphere between 4-6pm on odd numbered days he isnt even in the top 100. So he sucks.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I just think it makes sense to put things in a little perspective.  I know Trump likes to brag about anything that involves him being ranked first and that makes sense but I think it's important to look a little deeper into the numbers.  As one of the most populated and advanced countries in the world, we should most definitely be at the top for total tests.  Should that be impressive or expected?  I think it should be expected.

Looking at the per thousand data gives us a better idea of how well we are actually doing.  It's still not the perfect data to go by but I think it's better than just looking at the total number overall.

Or we could follow the Swedish and now German models and open up responsibly.

1 minute ago, Casual Observer said:

I’m all for following Swedish and German models. Preferably somewhere dark and private.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Are we really doing great though?  It's not terrible but I think it could be much better.  

No, we're doing terribly. Richest country in the world with some of the best scientific minds on the planet and we aren't even in the top 30 as far as testing. Inexcusable. 

3 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

I'm for opening up responsibly.

6 minutes ago, The Observer said:

No, we're doing terribly. Richest country in the world with some of the best scientific minds on the planet and we aren't even in the top 30 as far as testing.* Inexcusable. 

*Testing per all those whatever parameters you used and where the goalposts were moved to. I already linked proof we are far and away tops in overall testing. Carry on.

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

*Testing per all those whatever parameters you used and where the goalposts were moved to. I already linked proof we are far and away tops in overall testing. Carry on.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

No goalposts moved here. This is where the world reports.  We are ranked 39th.  If you think the great USA should be behind 38 other countries in testing and leading the way in deaths, with the next closest being nearly 50,000 fewer, then so be it. I expect more.

• Haha 1

If  you have a country with 1 million people and a country with 100 million people and tests had to be created as this is a novel (new) virus then basic human logic dictates it will take significantly  more time to test 1 million people than 100 million people.

Data and statistics can show you anything you want, it's how you correctly and logically interoperate data  It takes a little critical thinking, opposed to cherry picking a graph or pie chart that fits some narrative.

So we’ve done the most tests. Outstanding. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So we’ve done the most tests. Outstanding. 

Man, we're kicking ass.  Most tests and most deaths.  WINNING!! TRUMP 2020

8 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

If  you have a country with 1 million people and a country with 100 million people and tests had to be created as this is a novel (new) virus then basic human logic dictates it will take significantly  more time to test 1 million people than 100 million people.

Data and statistics can show you anything you want, it's how you correctly and logically interoperate data  It takes a little critical thinking, opposed to cherry picking a graph or pie chart that fits some narrative.

If you have 100x the people, you have 100x the labs and 100x the scientists and 100x the doctors, and 100x....  There's a reason they compare things per capita. It levels the playing field.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Observer said:

If you have 100x the people, you have 100x the labs and 100x the scientists and 100x the doctors, and 100x....  There's a reason they compare things per capita. It levels the playing field.

Maybe we should just go by height :dunno: 

I think we need to be doing much more testing in areas not affected. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think we need to be doing much more testing in areas not affected. 

The White House implements widespread rapid testing. Every day. Both a valet and Katie Miller tested positive with absolutely no symptoms. After being negative all the days before. That positive test allowed the White House to send them into isolation. And to test everyone who they had contact with. And isolate guys like Fauci, Redfield, and Hahn, who had all been in close proximity. 

Trump knows exactly how top stop the spread of the virus. He just doesn't give a sh1t about the average american. 

16 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Maybe we should just go by height :dunno: 

don't sell yourself short you're a tremendous slouch

13 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I can't even anymore.

Y'all have at it. 

I SOOOO pictured the sweater vest when I saw "I can't even"  🤣

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've explained to Newbie the fallacy of judging our performance on per capita testing, but this is one of those situations where he turns into NewbieBot and keeps parroting his "data" it in hopes that the repetition makes it accurate.  We have done almost twice the total testing as the #2 country (Russia).  Of course China provides no test data, because they suck.  

The example, in case you didn't see it:  say we have two countries:  "A" has 10 people and tests 5, that's 50%.  "B" has 1 billion people and tests 400M, that's 40%.  Which is doing a better job testing?

Now, I will concede that since we have a relatively large population, we need to keep the pressure on to continually increase availability.  But we went from nothing to the most testing in the world in a short time.  To imply we have been incompetent in it is just dumb.

Speaking of which, how is that advanced testing technology from China coming?  Who?  They are still pretending we planted it and spraying Lysol from fire hoses because they're not sure exactly what escaped from their lab.  How about India?  Sorry, they just make generic dik pills (I heard from a friend).  How about Germany?  Nope, they don't pay their NATO obligation, why would they invest in solutions when they can wait for America to solve it while feeling morally superior to the US. 

Our infrastructure for creative medical advances is better than the rest of the world combined.  Unfortunately we have to deal with Big Pharma and insurance companies in that infrastructure, but in a case like this, we've got a bunch of entities working on tests, vaccines, treatments, and cures.  :cheers:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I've explained to Newbie the fallacy of judging our performance on per capita testing, but this is one of those situations where he turns into NewbieBot and keeps parroting his "data" it in hopes that the repetition makes it accurate.  We have done almost twice the total testing as the #2 country (Russia).  Of course China provides no test data, because they suck.  

The example, in case you didn't see it:  say we have two countries:  "A" has 10 people and tests 5, that's 50%.  "B" has 1 billion people and tests 400M, that's 40%.  Which is doing a better job testing?

Now, I will concede that since we have a relatively large population, we need to keep the pressure on to continually increase availability.  But we went from nothing to the most testing in the world in a short time.  To imply we have been incompetent in it is just dumb.

Speaking of which, how is that advanced testing technology from China coming?  Who?  They are still pretending we planted it and spraying Lysol from fire hoses because they're not sure exactly what escaped from their lab.  How about India?  Sorry, they just make generic dik pills (I heard from a friend).  How about Germany?  Nope, they don't pay their NATO obligation, why would they invest in solutions when they can wait for America to solve it while feeling morally superior to the US. 

Our infrastructure for creative medical advances is better than the rest of the world combined.  Unfortunately we have to deal with Big Pharma and insurance companies in that infrastructure, but in a case like this, we've got a bunch of entities working on tests, vaccines, treatments, and cures.  :cheers:

I agree with your example on the testing data and it's why I had this response earlier, "Looking at the per thousand data gives us a better idea of how well we are actually doing.  It's still not the perfect data to go by but I think it's better than just looking at the total number overall."  The reason why I said it's not perfect is for the exact reason you gave.  Regardless of that, I still think it gives us a more accurate idea of how we are doing than just looking at the overall total.

Just like the reports on numbers of deaths and testing in the US, how the hell do we know how accurate the numbers are coming from these other countries?  People are using certain numbers to brag about how great we are doing while others are using different numbers to show how terrible we are doing and I still don't even know if any of these numbers are trustworthy.  Sometimes I wonder what the point of it all is.