Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Did you read the link I just posted where the American Academy of Pediatrics is in favor of reopening schools?  This is what I'm talking about.  Even when given information that SHOULD cause you to rethink things you don't.

I haven't said anything about being against reopening schools.  I think they need to open and when they do we are going to see an influx of positive cases because it's only natural for viruses to spread in a school setting.  I don't think the virus is as dangerous to children so I think the influx in positive cases is just something we're going to have to accept in order to get things back to normal.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

“We can speculate all day about this, but we just don’t know,” Dr. Osterholm said. “The bottom line message is: There’s going to be transmission.”

He and other experts said schools will need to prepare for infections to pop up. Apart from implementing physical distancing, hand hygiene and masks, schools should also decide when and how to test students and staff — including, for example, bus drivers — when and how long to require people to quarantine, and when to decide to close and reopen schools.

But they face a monumental challenge because the evidence on transmission within schools has been far from conclusive so far, experts said. Some countries like Denmark and Finland have successfully reopened schools, but others, like China, Israel and South Korea, have had to close them down again.

“People, depending on their ideology on school opening, are choosing which evidence to present — and that needs to be avoided,” said Jeffrey Shaman, an epidemiologist at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health in New York.

Although the new study does not offer definitive answers, he said, it does indicate that schools can increase virus levels within a community.

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Did you read the link I just posted where the American Academy of Pediatrics is in favor of reopening schools?  This is what I'm talking about.  Even when given information that SHOULD cause you to rethink things you don't.

Willfully ignorant. There is no other explanation. We  have never had more access to info then any other time in history yet some refuse to put it to use. Too upsetting to their already formed  conclusions I guess. They should realize that they may not be smart enough on their own to reach said conclusions.  Because they aren’t. 

23 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I haven't said anything about being against reopening schools.  I think they need to open and when they do we are going to see an influx of positive cases because it's only natural for viruses to spread in a school setting.  I don't think the virus is as dangerous to children so I think the influx in positive cases is just something we're going to have to accept in order to get things back to normal.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

“We can speculate all day about this, but we just don’t know,” Dr. Osterholm said. “The bottom line message is: There’s going to be transmission.”

He and other experts said schools will need to prepare for infections to pop up. Apart from implementing physical distancing, hand hygiene and masks, schools should also decide when and how to test students and staff — including, for example, bus drivers — when and how long to require people to quarantine, and when to decide to close and reopen schools.

But they face a monumental challenge because the evidence on transmission within schools has been far from conclusive so far, experts said. Some countries like Denmark and Finland have successfully reopened schools, but others, like China, Israel and South Korea, have had to close them down again.

“People, depending on their ideology on school opening, are choosing which evidence to present — and that needs to be avoided,” said Jeffrey Shaman, an epidemiologist at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health in New York.

Although the new study does not offer definitive answers, he said, it does indicate that schools can increase virus levels within a community.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/07/dr-michael-osterholm-masks-for-the-general-public-just-dont-help-all-that-much/   

Our small town does a huge community garage sale every year. I'm walking around with my wife while she looks for old vinyl records. Every single motherfukker has a mask on, walking around outside on a warm, sunny day. It's unreal.

8 minutes ago, lickin_starfish said:

Our small town does a huge community garage sale every year. I'm walking around with my wife while she looks for old vinyl records. Every single motherfukker has a mask on, walking around outside on a warm, sunny day. It's unreal.

I think that we need to open the schools and take some reasonable precautions. At least here in MA, I think that the precautions are probably overboard.

One of the precautions that I don't think is overboard is having the kids wear masks. They can wear them in class, moving around and in transit via bus. I think that the anti-maskers are fighting a losing battle there (at least in this state).

I think that they need to allow sports for the kids too. I don't think that they will have some sports, like football, because I think that they are going overboard in their precautions. It is a shame if they don't get to play.

I think we all know that some kids and staff are going to get COVID during the school year.  My concern is that some schools are going to feel the need to shut down as soon as there is a positive case.  I think there's going to need to be a certain percentage of people at the school that would have to be tested positive at once in order to shut down.  If not, opening school is going to be a waste of time.

Who cares if people get it. Protect and quarantine vulnerable.  

For the overwhelming majority of the population its harmless. 

Stop being fear mongered by the fake news enemy,  enemy of your family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Who cares if people get it. Protect and quarantine vulnerable.  

For the overwhelming majority of the population its harmless. 

Stop being fear mongered by the fake news enemy,  enemy of your family. 

I'm more onboard with this than the "Lets shutdown everything" mantra.

Let's face it, there is no perfect answers, but prolonged shutting down of schools and the economy isn't that answer......

Be smart, take precautions, get back to some sense of normalcy, and protect the most vulnerable.   All in all that's my opinion.  

• Like 1

How come the homeless and health care workers aren’t dropping like flies? Did they close the homeless shelters? 

It’s dangerous but I don’t care, either shut the world down permanently or get back to normal. This isn’t going away, we live the rona life now, so accept it and move on.

1 hour ago, tanatastic said:

It’s dangerous but I don’t care, either shut the world down permanently or get back to normal. This isn’t going away, we live the rona life now, so accept it and move on.

It's 99.96% not dangerous to people who aren't over 70 or fat pieces of schit.

This is almost deserving of it's own thread but I'll just put it here.  As usual, Mike Rowe nails it:

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:26 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Some guy back in March that posts here said the stats are no good. I think he was/i

2 hours ago, Strike said:

This is almost deserving of it's own thread but I'll just put it here.  As usual, Mike Rowe nails it:

I love Mike Rowe

26 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I love Mike Rowe

A national treasure. . .

2 hours ago, Masshole said:

A national treasure. . .

Thirded.  We need a Mike Rowe thread.  His thoughts on how for *some* people (kids) a four year college is not the best route is phenomenal.   Trade schools,  niche education to master a skill, etc. it is really good.  I know as a high schooler I was told, you go to college or you are a loser.  I did and graduated and have a good job, but as I became older I realized that is a one size fits all approach and completely wrong.   Sorry I digress......

5 hours ago, Strike said:

Great read on his thoughts. So does this mean masks are back on ad far as effectiveness? 

19 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

How come the homeless and health care workers aren’t dropping like flies? Did they close the homeless shelters? 

Can’t comment on healthcare workers- but I know Wiff is taking care of the homeless.

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Maybe digby was right in the beginning?

The 6 most feared words in medicine. We should have listened to Dungby.

• Like 1

So my dad tested positive last week. He's pretty much been doing whatever the hell he wanted. Went to a wedding in aspen. Went to the beach. Having poker games at his house.

He went in to the doctor thinking he was just having sinus problems. They tested him and it came back positive. His girlfriend and the rest of my family tested negative. They just told him to quarantine for a week or so.

He isn't sick at all. 71 year old heart patient.

10 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

So my dad tested positive last week. He's pretty much been doing whatever the hell he wanted. Went to a wedding in aspen. Went to the beach. Having poker games at his house.

He went in to the doctor thinking he was just having sinus problems. They tested him and it came back positive. His girlfriend and the rest of my family tested negative. They just told him to quarantine for a week or so.

That sucks, hope all turns out well as I am sure it will.  Keep us updated. 

35 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I was going to make a “crisis actor” crack but I can’t do it. Best wishes to your dad - hope he makes a full speedy recovery. :cheers: 

• Sad 1

Some woke afro American women decides to tell my wife to pull up her mask to cover her nose in Home Depot today.  She tells her to mind her own business and walks away.  She must have been in a hurry. I know some of those Amazon women can be kind of scary, but, I'd never bet against my wife when shes pissed. It was that woman's lucky day really.  She might not have had her own nose to breathe thru.   

8 minutes ago, Horseman said:

Some woke afro American women decides to tell my wife to pull up her mask to cover her nose in Home Depot today.  She tells her to mind her own business and walks away.  She must have been in a hurry. I know some of those Amazon women can be kind of scary, but, I'd never bet against my wife when shes pissed. It was that woman's lucky day really.  She might not have had her own nose to breathe thru.   

I don't believe it. My money's on the black women. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I was going to make a “crisis actor” crack but I can’t do it. Best wishes to your dad - hope he makes a full speedy recovery. :cheers: 

My sister focking freaked. She has an 18 month old baby and they all had to go get tested. All negative.

Of course, the news broke one year to the day from the surgery that killed mom, so she was already on edge. 

59 minutes ago, Horseman said:

Sounds like a fine woman.

8 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Don't let them vent him. That and ODing them on fentynal is how they cranked up the numbers early on. 

Demand he gets hydroxychloroquine asap. 

Just now, drobeski said:

Don't let them vent him. That and ODing them on fentynal is how they cranked up the numbers early on. 

Demand he gets hydroxychloroquine asap. 

From what I understand, they just sent him home. He's not being treated at all. 

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

From what I understand, they just sent him home. He's not being treated at all. 

Good, best wishes... 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:14 PM, nobody said:

Sounds like a fine woman.

Horrible fat smelly woman, the way she descibed her to me.