Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I actually know someone who died of Covid now.  Well, I don’t really know him, but he was a prominent dance instructor in our area, and my daughters used to compete against his teams.  He was pretty young, I’d guess mid 40s.  Also quite obese, so he probably had some underlying conditions.  Also also black, if that actually matters.

I’ve also wondered about the following:  Since I no longer breathe through my nose, and I basically wear a filter on the hole in my neck, can I get Covid?  A speech pathologist at Mayo yesterday said she doesn’t know any laryngectomees who have gotten it.  Obviously that is anecdotal, and I’m not going to go licking faces in a bar (any more than I already do), but it would be nice if it is indeed virtually impossible for me to get it.

It's not a filter Skids, it's a HME (Heat Moisture Exchanger) since you are now bypassing your natural HME (your nose) 

9 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

It's not a filter Skids, it's a HME (Heat Moisture Exchanger) since you are now bypassing your natural HME (your nose) 

I’m simplifying, but if you’ve seen them, they have limited openings only on the sides, and the internal works include a filter and salts to help add moisture.  It’s not a perfect filter, but it is one in that it would block most of any virus.  And then there is the question of whether or not Covid could take hold directly in the lungs, or if it needs those receptors (I forget their name) that are in places like the nose.

My point is that there is a good chance that the HME and my new physiology will limit my chance of getting it.

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I’m simplifying, but if you’ve seen them, they have limited openings only on the sides, and the internal works include a filter and salts to help add moisture.  It’s not a perfect filter, but it is one in that it would block most of any virus.  And then there is the question of whether or not Covid could take hold directly in the lungs, or if it needs those receptors (I forget their name) that are in places like the nose.

My point is that there is a good chance that the HME and my new physiology will limit my chance of getting it.

I've been a Respiratory Therapist for over 25 years. It's just an HME Jerry, it isn't filtering anything. ANY virus only needs a mucous membrane to enter, some are easier to enter than others. Sorta like the ladies :banana:

3 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

I've been a Respiratory Therapist for over 25 years. It's just an HME Jerry, it isn't filtering anything. ANY virus only needs a mucous membrane to enter, some are easier to enter than others. Sorta like the ladies :banana:

There is a solid circle of plastic blocking the stoma, so any virus that hits that is “filtered.”  Entrance is only on the sides, and that is through a foam mesh which makes it tangibly harder to breathe.  I’m not going to argue with you that the filter is technically small enough to block an airborne virus, because it isn’t, but like a mask it would block any vapor/moisture carried virus.

Regarding mucous membranes, there is some evidence that specific cells in the nose are more receptive to the virus.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200423130420.htm

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

There is a solid circle of plastic blocking the stoma, so any virus that hits that is “filtered.”  Entrance is only on the sides, and that is through a foam mesh which makes it tangibly harder to breathe.  I’m not going to argue with you that the filter is technically small enough to block an airborne virus, because it isn’t, but like a mask it would block any vapor/moisture carried virus.

Regarding mucous membranes, there is some evidence that specific cells in the nose are more receptive to the virus.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200423130420.htm

OK :cheers:

13 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

he was on Tucker last night. long live pres

Governments role is to offer information and guidance, help with distribution of PPE, help with distribution of vaccines and therapies.  

Businesses can mandate masks or temp checks etc. or not.

Individuals can make their choices to leave the house or not.  To go eat or not.  Etc Etc

22 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

The same government that is forcing everyone to hide, can also send them to die in war to protect the country from tyranny.   You figure it out. 

Effective next Monday, my wife can no longer enter Mayo with me.  I’ve got treatments every day and 2-3 other appointments per week.  Also I can’t speak, although my mumbling with the electrolarynx is improving.  Should be fun.  They had a similar restriction during the first wave early in summer, and the staff told us they hated it.  Thankfully my surgery was in between, so my wife could visit me in the hospital (but only one person once per day, so no kids or friends).

I understand that they don’t want a raging party worth of people, but this seems a bit extreme.  Maybe I can call it a BLM rally and have my extended family go with me.  :dunno:

26 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

my wife can no longer enter Mayo with me.

She's had her fill of my mayo, that makes sense.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lod001 said:

I think that's Guido. Fredo is the d1ckhead on CNN.

They ALL Fredo in that family.  Living off the old man.

Just now, MDC said:

US Covid deaths top 250K.

Thats a lot of crisis actors. :o 

That's what CGI is for. Cut and paste fat POS's and you have a Covid concert. 

Worldwide
Total cases
Recovered
35.8M
Deaths
1.34M

Suntin don't add up 😐

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Worldwide
Total cases
Recovered
35.8M
Deaths
1.34M

Suntin don't add up 😐

Agreed. Is the .65 person GutterBoy?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Agreed. Is the .65 person GutterBoy?

:first:

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Effective next Monday, my wife can no longer enter Mayo with me.  I’ve got treatments every day and 2-3 other appointments per week.  Also I can’t speak, although my mumbling with the electrolarynx is improving.  Should be fun.  They had a similar restriction during the first wave early in summer, and the staff told us they hated it.  Thankfully my surgery was in between, so my wife could visit me in the hospital (but only one person once per day, so no kids or friends).

I understand that they don’t want a raging party worth of people, but this seems a bit extreme.  Maybe I can call it a BLM rally and have my extended family go with me.  :dunno:

Throat Cancer Lives Matter!  ✊🏿

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

More time available for me.   

39 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

More time available for me.   

I’m usually in there around 15 minutes, so that should give you an extra 13 minutes to spare.  :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, OldMaid said:

Welp... There goes our outdoor dining.  👎🏻

What activities in CA haven't been banned yet? 

Just now, tanatastic said:

Lockdowns are stupid and cause more harm than just pretending the virus doesn’t exist.

Politicians want as many people sucking off that government teat as possible.

1 minute ago, nobody said:

Politicians want as many people sucking off that government teat as possible.

Trump didn't want that. He pushed for people to empower themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Preach.  It's really quite simple.  If you enable people, they will continue doing what they're doing, if you quit enabling people, they'll do what they need to make sure things work out.

3 minutes ago, nobody said:

Preach.  It's really quite simple.  If you enable people, they will continue doing what they're doing, if you quit enabling people, they'll do what they need to make sure things work out.

Yeah. Glad you need a keeper. I don't.

16 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

That's what the Iowa governor did.  It didn't help either.  Iowa became one of the states with the highest positive rates.