Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

42 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

"President" must not pay very well.  What is that like a 2008 Hyundai Accent?

Elitist. What do you drive? 

https://www.ft.com/content/51cf718d-e701-4292-a9dd-dd36c1b1c5ea

The P.1 Covid-19 variant that originated in Brazil and has spread to more than 25 countries is around twice as transmissible as some other strains and is more likely to evade the natural immunity people usually develop from prior infection, according to a new international study.

The research, conducted by a UK-Brazilian team of researchers from institutions including Oxford University, Imperial College London, the University of São Paulo, found that the P.1 variant was between 1.4 and 2.2 times more transmissible than other variants circulating in Brazil. 

It was also “able to evade 25-61 percent of protective immunity elicited by the previous infection” with an earlier variant, the researchers found, in a sign that current vaccines could also be less effective against it.

International concern about the P.1 variant has escalated recently, with more than 25 countries detecting the variant, including Belgium, Sweden, and the UK, which has identified six cases.

The scientists are expected to release a paper describing the research on Tuesday. Dr. Nuno Faria, the lead author, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed.

The researchers have dated the emergence of the P.1 variant to November 6, 2020, around one month before cases began to surge for the second time in the Brazilian city of Manaus. They found that the proportion of cases classified as P.1 in Manaus increased from zero to 87 percent in the space of 7 weeks. 

The paper concluded: “Our results further show that natural immunity waning alone is unlikely to explain the observed dynamics in Manaus, with support for P.1 possessing altered epidemiological characteristics.”

“Studies to evaluate real-world vaccine efficacy in response to P.1 are urgently needed,” it added.

The researchers also found that infections were 10 to 80 percent more likely to result in death in Manaus after the emergence of P.1. However, the authors cautioned that it was not possible to determine whether this meant the variant was more lethal or whether it was a result of increased strain on the city’s healthcare system or a combination of both. 

The P.1 variant has over 17 mutations, which alter its genetic sequence from the virus originally identified in Wuhan, including 3 key changes to the spike protein that it uses to enter human cells.

Researchers in Brazil have been using genetic sequencing technology developed by Oxford Nanopore in the UK to identify and track the variant. The technology was first used in Brazil during the Zika outbreak in 2015.

Dr. Leila Luheshi, director of applied and clinical markets at Oxford Nanopore, told the Financial Times that while the B.1.1.7 variant in the UK has similar properties of high transmissibility to P.1 — it is thought to be around 1.5 times as transmissible as variants that preceded it — there was no evidence to date that it evaded past natural immunity in the same way. Studies so far have also shown that current vaccines retain their efficacy against B.1.1.7.

Luheshi said that the concern with P.1 is that “because it has these mutations around the spike . . . the hypothesis is that the vaccine will be less effective.” But she added that there is not yet definitive evidence to support this theory. 

So a massively fat unhealthy as fock supposedly somewhat famous fatty just died of covid complications. But no mention about how seriously obese it was. That's why its dead. covid just sped up the process. Get healthy you fatties or get dead.

6 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Here ya go..free bar codes for kids courtesy of Billy.   WTF...

I always wondered what Compton was like. Must be a wonderful city to live in.

15 hours ago, lod001 said:

So a massively fat unhealthy as fock supposedly somewhat famous fatty just died of covid complications. But no mention about how seriously obese it was. That's why its dead. covid just sped up the process. Get healthy you fatties or get dead.

Those fatties have cost all of us trillions. Without them making people think this is a serious virus, we never close anything.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Reminded me of the short story All Summer in A Day by Ray Bradburry where they lived on Venus and it rained every day except for one day was sunny every 7 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day 

Is that the one where a kid is bullied and gets locked in a room so that she misses it? 

16 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Here ya go..free bar codes for kids courtesy of Billy.   WTF...

Safe safety safely safe safe safe safely safe safety.

People have traded away their freedom. We were warned about this and we failed.

2 hours ago, DonS said:

Is that the one where a kid is bullied and gets locked in a room so that she misses it? 

I can't remember but yes you're right, as that's what the wiki link says. 

Plot synopsis[edit]

The story is about a class of students on Venus, which, in this story, is a world of constant rainstorms, where the Sun is only visible for one hour every seven years.

One of the children, Margot, moved to Venus from Earth five years earlier, and she is the only one who remembers sunshine, since the sun shines regularly on Earth. When the teacher asks them to write a poem about the sun, hers is:

"I think the sun is a flower,
That blooms for just one hour."

She describes the Sun as "penny", or "like fire in the stove". The other children, being too young ever to have seen it themselves, do not believe her. Led by a boy named William, they bully and antagonize her, and just before the sun comes out, William rallies the other children, and they lock her in a closet down a tunnel.

As the sun is about to appear, their teacher arrives to take the class outside to enjoy their hour of sunshine and, in their astonishment and joy, they all forget about Margot. They run, play, skip, jump, and prance about, savoring every second of their newfound freedom. "Oh, it's better than the sunlamps, isn't it?" one of them cries.

Suddenly, a girl catches a raindrop in her hands. Thunder sounds, then the lightning comes, and the children run back inside as the sun disappears and it starts to pour again. At this point, one of them remembers Margot, who is still locked in the closet. Ashamed, they let her out of the closet, standing frozen, embarrassed over what they have done and unable to "meet each other's glances."

The precious sun has come and gone, and because of their jealousy, Margot, who loved the sun the most, has missed it.

Texas opening up. No masks required. C'mon DeSantis, follow their lead. I'm tired of all these idiots and their masks.

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

Texas opening up. No masks required. C'mon DeSantis, follow their lead. I'm tired of all these idiots and their masks.

Mississippi too.  I wonder what percentage of people will still wear them.  I won't judge the over 50 crowd if they do.

Are kids in school full time in other places? My son has been hybrid all year (2 days in, 3 days remote), but they are going full time in-person on March 15. I think that is uncommon for public schools here, but what are other places doing?

28 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Are kids in school full time in other places? My son has been hybrid all year (2 days in, 3 days remote), but they are going full time in-person on March 15. I think that is uncommon for public schools here, but what are other places doing?

My daughter has been distance learning since 3/17 last year, never once on campus. 
They *might* be moving to hybrid which is two days a week, school from 8:30am to 12:30pm. No lunch time. No sitting near friends since they have to be distanced. Masks in class. Hallways sectioned off so you have to walk in one direction. Teachers cannot walk around the classrooms, will be stationary at their desks. 

Fuuücking stupid, IMO. I’d be all for them waiting until fall to go to school. 

Public Service Announcement:  As states start to lift mask mandates, guess what?  You can still think for YOURSELF and wear a mask if you want too.  Or you can still not go out to eat.  The state government is just saying they aren't mandating you do so and to practice your own common sense.  

2 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Public Service Announcement:  As states start to lift mask mandates, guess what?  You can still think for YOURSELF and wear a mask if you want too.  Or you can still not go out to eat.  The state government is just saying they aren't mandating you do so and to practice your own common sense.  

You assume that the masses have common sense. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

You assume that the masses have common sense. :lol: 

We had mandates for a year.  We have vaccines and numbers are going down.  It’s time.  If you are still “scared” wear your mask or stay at home. 

14 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Mississippi too.  I wonder what percentage of people will still wear them.  I won't judge the over 50 crowd if they do.

I don't care if people want to wear them. That's their choice just stay away from me. Only sick people wear mask.

100% Back in School.

100% play sports, especially youth sports.

100% open businesses.

If you want to wear a mask, knock yourself out.  If a restaurant wants to spread their tables out and have their staff wear a mask, good on them for making that decision for themselves and the consumer can decide if they patron.

It's been a year, the elderly and sick have been or are being vaccinated.  Let's go, its time.  Kids are being left behind in critical formative years.  Businesses are suffering.  Depression and drug abuse are all up 90%.  

Human beings need socializing for a full life.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

100% Back in School.

100% open businesses.

If you want to wear a mask, knock yourself out.  If a restaurant wants to spread their tables out and have their staff wear a mask, good on them for making that decision for themselves and the consumer can decide if they patron.

It's been a year, the elderly and sick have been or are being vaccinated.  Let's go, its time.  

I hope you are right. I think the next step if numbers start going back up in places like Texas will be to use the anal swabs. :lol: 

And it really doesn't matter if infection numbers go up, if the most vulnerable are vaccinated the only real numbers that matter are deaths.  If the vaccine works, and we are vaccinating the right people the deaths should go down even if infections go up.

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

And it really doesn't matter if infection numbers go up, if the most vulnerable are vaccinated the only real numbers that matter are deaths.  If the vaccine works, and we are vaccinating the right people the deaths should go down even if infections go up.

I never really worried too much about infections. It could have shown that we were testing more. The hospitalizations are the key. If you need to go to the hospital, then it is a big deal. A percentage of those end up in the deaths.

Vaccines have not had that much of an impact yet given that we only have about 15% that is vaccinated (at least one dose). We need another couple of months before you see major impact, which is why some are hesitant to go all out now. 

13 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

NJ, Same as you, been hybrid, full time starting next week, just half days though, no lunches.

13 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Man, Twitter is big mad that TX is lifting mask mandate.  We're back to killing grandmas.

It's focked up how many people are going to be happy if Texans start dropping dead in two weeks.

For those of you mentioning states in hybrid format:  is that a state-wide policy or is it up to each individual school district?

WA state is at the district level based on "guidance" from our worthless governor.  Our district is about to start up with a hybrid approach.  A neighboring district has already said they won't be opening back up for the current academic school year.  Parents in that district are livid.  This is a district which serves Bellevue and Redmond and is very upper middle class with a ton of tech workers so it isn't a poor "ghetto school district" problem. 

7 minutes ago, DonS said:

For those of you mentioning states in hybrid format:  is that a state-wide policy or is it up to each individual school district?

WA state is at the district level based on "guidance" from our worthless governor.  Our district is about to start up with a hybrid approach.  A neighboring district has already said they won't be opening back up for the current academic school year.  Parents in that district are livid.  This is a district which serves Bellevue and Redmond and is very upper middle class with a ton of tech workers so it isn't a poor "ghetto school district" problem. 

NJ is by district.  Our district is one of the few in the county that is hybrid, the rest are all remote.

6 minutes ago, DonS said:

Ours is by district/town. Our town has chosen to go back full time in 2 weeks after being hybrid since September. Our hybrid did include lunch before, but the food was even crappier than before according to my HS senior. We are right at the NH border, so we see more opening there which pushes us more than some of the other towns in MA that are staying remote or hybrid.

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

OMB is an after thought now.  All is going according to plan.  

We can give great thanks to creepy joe for stepping and creating the vaccine in such a short period of time.

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

OMB is an after thought now.  All is going according to plan.  

:lol:  The first shot across the bow at alienating those who won't get the vaccine.  

2 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

100% Back in School.

100% open businesses.

It's been a year, the elderly and sick have been or are being vaccinated.  Let's go, its time.  Kids are being left behind in critical formative years.  Businesses are suffering.  Depression and drug abuse are all up 90%.  

Human beings need socializing for a full life.  

This is right on the money

16 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

:lol:  The first shot across the bow at alienating those who won't get the vaccine.  

And the first step towards requiring proof of vaccination.  (but requiring ID to vote is still raciss) 

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Show me your papers

I do wonder if public schools, airlines etc will go that way.  :thumbsdown:

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Show me your papers

I can't wait to find out what symbol we need to wear on our clothes to indicate those unclean among us who haven't been vaccinated.  It just makes sense, right? 

13 minutes ago, DonS said:

And the first step towards requiring proof of vaccination.  (but requiring ID to vote is still raciss) 

And there are obviously keep better track of those who get the vaccine, whereas any ballot that reaches the counters must be counted.