Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Derek Jeter rookie card

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

My mantle Griffey auto tops any card on that sold list except the BL of course

Yea, well, my T206 Honus Wagner tops your faggity Micky card, so there.

Hell, I'm going through the sold listings on MTG and realizing that I basically threw away (sold) about 15k worth of cards 14 years ago for about 2k :cry:

The good news is that I still have some pretty valuable ones, it seems. 

16 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Man she’s got TRUNKS full of cards from when they ran the card shop. I’ve had to move those big ass heavy trunks a lot back in the day 

Does she still have the Miata?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

I just sold a huge lot ($10k worth) of sealed booster boxes. 

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

I just sold a huge lot ($10k worth) of sealed booster boxes. 

Which expansion? 

Just now, SUXBNME said:

Which series? 

War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guild of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Ixalan
Rivals of Ixalan
Battlebond
Journey into Nyx
Iconic Master
Unstable
Return to Ravnica
Shadows over Innistrad
Magic Origins
Dragon Maze
Hour of Devastation
Ultimate Masters

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

War of the Spark
Ravnica Allegiance
Guild of Ravnica
Core Set 2019
Dominaria
Ixalan
Rivals of Ixalan
Battlebond
Journey into Nyx
Iconic Master
Unstable
Return to Ravnica
Shadows over Innistrad
Magic Origins
Dragon Maze
Hour of Devastation
Ultimate Masters

Damn...I stopped buying after Aliances :lol:

12 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Damn...I stopped buying after Aliances :lol:

I've been buying sealed product for a few years. Take battlebond. I bought it at MSRP and any time I found it for under $100. Sells for $175 now.

I still have all my singles.

I know nothing about the MTG, Pokemon or any of the other nerd cards.  I know there are some really valuable cards and they're popular with kids, but I have no interest.  

Sports cards are different for me.  I like the 3 major sports.  I like to watch the games, and I like to play fantasy sports.  Buying and selling sports cards is a lot like playing fantasy sports.  For current players, you're betting on their performance and popularity any time you buy or sell a card.  The main difference is you end up with a physical asset that could be used to recoup some of your money or even turn a profit.  

Vintage sports cards are a little different.  That's not as much of a churn and burn game.  It's more of a buy and hold process.  

I've been doing a little of both.  

I'm even toying with the idea of opening a shop.  It wouldn't produce near the profits as my current biz, but if I can find the right person to manage this place, I might take a shot.  Opening a hobby shop is a much different biz than what I described above, as it's mostly about selling boxes, cases and packs.   Sure, some singles will sell, but you gotta move some wax if you have a store.  

My best is both Topps and O Pee Chee Gretzky rookie cards. Have no clue what they are worth. Neither rated. Topps is framed with a Sports Illustrated autographed cover. 

Also have no clue where they are

:mad:

So, I stopped collecting in the early 90's.  Haven't touched any of my cards since, need to look through them to see what I have here soon.  Could be some Jeters, I have no clue really.  Most of mine are basketball, last year I collected was Shaq's rookie year but, I have all 3 major sports.  Every card I have was kept in a hard case, 2 good size collector's boxes with several rows of cards in each. Everything I have should still be in pristine shape.  My question is, how does the grading thing work?  Do you send it off to some company and pray nothing happens to it?  They do their thing, bill you I guess and send it back?

Who wants to buy my Mike Schmidt rookie cards that used to be worth a lot until the day he cried like a wuss on TV.

22 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Who wants to buy my Mike Schmidt rookie cards that used to be worth a lot until the day he cried like a wuss on TV.

Not MDC. He was a Mets fan then. 

Used to collect in my younger days, and had a card shop right next to my office when I was 16.  I would stop by and grab some interesting stuff.  Unopened packs from the 60's for $5 which would be like the early 2000's now. I did get the whole original USFL set for $10 back then.  Worth a couple of hundred today I suppose. Nothing else of real value.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Used to collect in my younger days, and had a card shop right next to my office when I was 16.  I would stop by and grab some interesting stuff.  Unopened packs from the 60's for $5 which would be like the early 2000's now. I did get the whole original USFL set for $10 back then.  Worth a couple of hundred today I suppose. Nothing else of real value.

I remember the days of selling used CDs to the store for like 3 bucks.

19 hours ago, vuduchile said:

On a side note, certain Luka Doncic, Ja Morant and Zion Williamson rookie cards are going for thousands right now.  

I will never understand sports cards---aren't you apt to those guys anytime you open any new pack now?

Was I a D1ck ?

i was like 17 or 18 years old and at my local comic book store and the owners brother was always trying to sell me Sh1t I didn’t need or want. Then one day he offered me 78/79 Topps complete set of hockey cards for $40 !

At the time the Gretzky card itself was selling for 300 bucks !

Couple days later owner tried buy it back from me for $80  I said no  - then got desperate and tried saying I stole it and would go to the cops  I said go ahead  eventually he banned me from the store.

And over 30 years later I still own the card

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I will never understand sports cards---aren't you apt to those guys anytime you open any new pack now?

Yes.  There’s a chance you get one of their base rookie cards. There’s  also a chance you’ll get an autographed card, a relic card or a colored parallel card of the same player.  Those are rarer and more valuable.  

On the flip side, there’s a chance you’ll get a whole bunch of garbage base cards and nothing else.  That’s one of the gambles that drives the multi billion $ biz. 

The second gamble is what you do with that card once you get it.  Buy, sell or hold, based on whatever future value you believe the card will have.  

Opening packs and boxes is a good way to burn thru tons of cash.  I don’t really do that.  

You can also buy a part of a box break, again gambling that you’ll pull a team and/or card of value for minimal investment.  Again, not a smart way to invest in cards, but lots of people love the chase.  

On the whole, it’s better to buy single cards you want to collect or single cards you think will rise in value.    Again, you’ll have to decide how long to hold and when to sell if you’re in it to turn a profit   

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Reality said:

So, I stopped collecting in the early 90's.  Haven't touched any of my cards since, need to look through them to see what I have here soon.  Could be some Jeters, I have no clue really.  Most of mine are basketball, last year I collected was Shaq's rookie year but, I have all 3 major sports.  Every card I have was kept in a hard case, 2 good size collector's boxes with several rows of cards in each. Everything I have should still be in pristine shape.  My question is, how does the grading thing work?  Do you send it off to some company and pray nothing happens to it?  They do their thing, bill you I guess and send it back?

There are 2 main grading companies.  PSA and Beckett. 

Their websites are pretty user friendly if you’re interested.  There are also card shops and online dealers who do mass submissions you could get in on.  

20 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I've been buying sealed product for a few years. Take battlebond. I bought it at MSRP and any time I found it for under $100. Sells for $175 now.

I still have all my singles.

Damn. I stopped playing in 1995. I think there were only one or two expansions at that point. Black lotus and royal assassin were the big money cards. 

16 hours ago, lod001 said:

If you are really selling I'd like to see them

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

If you are really selling I'd like to see them

Looks like they are worth more than I expected. The 3 I have sat in the box mostly untouched. Now they sit in the plastic 3x3 page containers. Not sure what the grade is. I also have quite few of George Brett rookie. Never had these graded but they were virtually untouched. Who knew who Brett was in 75. 

I guess I'll have to go over them. 

7 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Damn. I stopped playing in 1995. I think there were only one or two expansions at that point. Black lotus and royal assassin were the big money cards. 

MTG really exploded in 2016. Prices jumped through the roof.

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

MTG really exploded in 2016. Prices jumped through the roof.

didnt prices see a pretty big recession in the last 4-6 months?

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

didnt prices see a pretty big recession in the last 4-6 months?

Yes there's been a pull back in reserved cards and older sets. 

Underground sea (revised) was approaching $500 and has since pulled back to the 300-350 range. That's just one example

Basketball collectors were on pins and needles watching Zion’s pro debut last night.  

He looked pretty bad thru 3 quarters and one side was screaming bust!!!  Sell sell, dump now!  

Then he drained 4 three pointers in and put up a total of 17 pts in 3.5 minutes.  That shut ‘em up.   

Anyway, I made a deal with a guy over the weekend for some basketball cards that included a couple of Zion cards.    He was in sell mode last week because they pushed Zion’s return back.  

I checked the tracking info this morning and found out the focker only created the label, but the post office hasn’t received the package yet.  He swears he sent them, then said he would refund me if I never get them.   I think he hedged by holding them them to see what Zion would do.   I believe he’s gonna say sorry, here’s your refund, turn around and sell for more.  

Gotta watch out for the shady people with this stuff.  

27 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Basketball collectors were on pins and needles watching Zion’s pro debut last night.  

He looked pretty bad thru 3 quarters and one side was screaming bust!!!  Sell sell, dump now!  

Then he drained 4 three pointers in and put up a total of 17 pts in 3.5 minutes.  That shut ‘em up.   

Anyway, I made a deal with a guy over the weekend for some basketball cards that included a couple of Zion cards.    He was in sell mode last week because they pushed Zion’s return back.  

I checked the tracking info this morning and found out the focker only created the label, but the post office hasn’t received the package yet.  He swears he sent them, then said he would refund me if I never get them.   I think he hedged by holding them them to see what Zion would do.   I believe he’s gonna say sorry, here’s your refund, turn around and sell for more.  

That is exactly what he is doing

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

That is exactly what he is doing

Yeah.  I told him I wasn’t interested in a refund.  I told him if I don’t get the package, I expect him to fill the order in whatever way he has to.  

We’ll see 

11 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah.  I told him I wasn’t interested in a refund.  I told him if I don’t get the package, I expect him to fill the order in whatever way he has to.  

We’ll see 

If you see him list them again threaten him with mail fraud

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

USPS can be super late updating stuff. 

• Like 1

buying NBA rookie cards as a speculation before they blow up is a nice little gamble for low risk. a Giannis rookie card purchased during his actual rookie season wouldnt have been that expensive and some of them go for a TON now.

but most cards are worthless and I dont see how any regular jeter rookie card that doesnt have something special about it is going for 1-2k let alone 100k

23 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Yes.  There’s a chance you get one of their base rookie cards. There’s  also a chance you’ll get an autographed card, a relic card or a colored parallel card of the same player.  Those are rarer and more valuable.  

On the flip side, there’s a chance you’ll get a whole bunch of garbage base cards and nothing else.  That’s one of the gambles that drives the multi billion $ biz. 

The second gamble is what you do with that card once you get it.  Buy, sell or hold, based on whatever future value you believe the card will have.  

Opening packs and boxes is a good way to burn thru tons of cash.  I don’t really do that.  

You can also buy a part of a box break, again gambling that you’ll pull a team and/or card of value for minimal investment.  Again, not a smart way to invest in cards, but lots of people love the chase.  

On the whole, it’s better to buy single cards you want to collect or single cards you think will rise in value.    Again, you’ll have to decide how long to hold and when to sell if you’re in it to turn a profit   

plus all the packs you purchase that have already been opened, looted and resealed. right? pretty sure that happens a lot.

i remember reading some article about guys who go into big chain stores that just have small sections of sports cards like a Walmart or somewhere and they have techniques to find packs with the auto, relics, etc because those cards are usually slightly thicker?

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

If you see him list them again threaten him with mail fraud

Interesting. I never thought of that angle.   I may not be able to ruin his reputation, but I can certainly put a dent in it.  

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

USPS can be super late updating stuff. 

Yes.  And for that, he gets a little slack.  

However, it smells fishier than edjr’s twat when his first response is “If you never receive them, I’ll refund you.”

Just now, vuduchile said:

Yes.  And for that, he gets a little slack.  

However, it smells fishier than edjr’s twat when his first response is “If you never receive them, I’ll refund you.”

Edjr twat is fishy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

plus all the packs you purchase that have already been opened, looted and resealed. right? pretty sure that happens a lot.

i remember reading some article about guys who go into big chain stores that just have small sections of sports cards like a Walmart or somewhere and they have techniques to find packs with the auto, relics, etc because those cards are usually slightly thicker?

Yep.  Retail stores are the worst place to buy because they don’t solid return policies regarding collectible cards.  Thieves are really good at re-sealing the boxes now.  

I’m sure some of it also goes on at hobby stores when there’s a lot of high $ cards in play.  Those guys aren’t all above the fray either.  

There’s also some speculation that the looting is happening elsewhere in the supply chain.  

Factory workers , distributors, truck drivers, retail manager, retail employees could all possibly have their hands dirty.  

Another reason not to get too crazy chasing cards.   Might as well buy scratch offs.  

I also don't trust packs one bit.. retail wise like target/ Walmart there are entire forms/ groups dedicated to how to search packs. Like right out in the open.

http://www.packsearchers.com/forum/

I also fully believe that companies such as Topps know where the monster cards are and ensure those boxes are in the hands of breakers who move case upon case upon case of product.

11 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Yep.  Retail stores are the worst place to buy because they don’t solid return policies regarding collectible cards.  Thieves are really good at re-sealing the boxes now.  

I’m sure some of it also goes on at hobby stores when there’s a lot of high $ cards in play.  Those guys aren’t all above the fray either.  

There’s also some speculation that the looting is happening elsewhere in the supply chain.  

Factory workers , distributors, truck drivers, retail manager, retail employees could all possibly have their hands dirty.  

Another reason not to get too crazy chasing cards.   Might as well buy scratch offs.  

i would think hobby shops have more incentive to get good at resealing/repacking than larger retail places just because the sale of sports cards in large retail stores is such a minor portion of their business.