Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

FBI tells family of Kristin Smart, who vanished 23 years ago, to be prepared for news

Paul Flores? 

Thank you, sanctuary cities! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

Maam... your daughter is alive, but is a registered Democrat living in california.

So shes dead. Ok thanks officer.

ha..well done cyclone

It sounds like the mom may be super paraphrasing what the FBI told her:

Be ready. This is really going to be something you don’t expect,” Smart said authorities told her.

But if she's not, it's weird they'd leave things that cryptic in general, and in particular, if it was going to be a confirmation of worst fears. Strange either way but makes slightly more sense if good news was on the horizon. And for a lady who was apparently advised that she and her family will probably want to "get away" for a while, it's weird that telling the media was her next step.

1 minute ago, naomi said:

It sounds like the mom may be super paraphrasing what the FBI told her:

But if she's not, it's weird they'd leave things that cryptic in general, and in particular, if it was going to be a confirmation of worst fears. Strange either way but makes slightly more sense if good news was on the horizon. And for a lady who was apparently advised that she and her family will probably want to "get away" for a while, it's weird that telling the media was her next step.

I still don't believe they called her and said be ready. Something is fishy here.

Long shot here, but maybe a ploy to flush the bad guy out? 

Hmmm.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/FBI-No-agent-spoke-to-Kristin-Smart-family-in-14996483.php

A spokesman for the family confirmed Wednesday that the person who advised Smart’s mother, Denise, was not an active FBI agent.

“To clarify, the Stockton Record news story was based on a conversation between the Smart family and a former FBI agent,” said family spokesman John Segale. “The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation and will notify all of us when there is official news to announce.”

The FBI would not comment on whether an announcement in the case is actually impending.

“The FBI is not aware of any details we made public in this ongoing case,” said Laura Eimiller, a spokeswoman with the Los Angeles FBI office. She declined to comment further, other than to say federal investigators continue to assist the San Luis Obispo Sheriff’s Office in their probe of the college student’s 1996 disappearance that drew national headlines.

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, I don't buy that. If I got a call. Like that, I'd be like, tell me the focking news now. 

Did the mom make it up to drum up interest in the case?  I mean I would never let it drop. 

1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

Did the mom make it up to drum up interest in the case?  I mean I would never let it drop. 

It sounds like some former agent may have called them. I imagine she may have heard through the grapevine that some news was coming and the conversation may have gone like this... 

"hey, I'm a former fbi agent, there's big news coming, you probably need to hire a representative. By the way, my rates for such are quite reasonable..."

• Like 1

Based on the FBI's wording in their response to the initial, misleading report, I was thinking maybe a now retired agent who was closely working on the case, and has kept a relationship with the parents knows some scuttlebutt and gave them a heads-up.

BUT apparently the mom's full comments to the Stockton Record (initial report) included that people should "stay tuned" to a recent podcast series that's been focusing on the case and growing in popularity. The family has commented in it. So it does sound like a means of drumming up interest in the podcast...a ruse to keep interest in her daughter's case. Hopefully that's wrong. The first explanation would be great.

• Like 2

The FBI's statement reveals that it was at least a legitimate former agent.

The way they say they're not aware of new information they've made public kiiinda sounds like intentionally leaving its veracity open ended...just clarifying *they* didn't make it public.

But then the mom's full comments questionably seem to revolve around ginning up interest in the podcast.

Back to hmmm.

• Like 1

I've already concluded this is a hoax.  Nothing more to discuss here, folks.

So the FBI is into reality show and click bait type stuff now?

23 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

So the FBI is into reality show and click bait type stuff now?

No the FBI didn't call her. 

hanging out with JonBenet Ramsey, living their best lives

isn't the FBI like the IRS? never calls...only sends letter? could be just a spammer that did their research:o

12 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah, I don't buy that. If I got a call. Like that, I'd be like, tell me the focking news now. 

I honestly believe you could sue them for something for doing that....Anguish?   Something.  No way the FBI did this--unless it was some rogue ex agent that didn't have the bureau's OK

11 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

No way the FBI did this--unless it was some rogue ex agent that didn't have the bureau's OK

If I had to guess, I'd say you're close. 

It could be an agent who worked on the case, remained close to the smarts and is retired.  Got inside info and relayed his advice to them informally, which is what someone would do in this case.   Smart then blabbed it to everyone.   I'll bet news is coming.

My guess is the mother made it up or it was the perpetrator looking to get his rocks off.

9 minutes ago, nobody said:

My guess is the mother made it up or it was the perpetrator looking to get his rocks off.

I assure you I didn't call her.

21 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That's what I thought, possibly.

And whoaaaaa.......who said it was a guy?  You're making judgement ahead of time based on what?

;)

21 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I know you know about this stuff, so I’m curious. How would this flush out the bad guy?

37 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I know you know about this stuff, so I’m curious. How would this flush out the bad guy?

See if he takes off. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

See if he takes off. 

That makes sense, but if they have the evidence to make an arrest why wouldn’t they do so in an ambush type way rather they tip him off and force a manhunt situation?

12 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

That makes sense, but if they have the evidence to make an arrest why wouldn’t they do so in an ambush type way rather they tip him off and force a manhunt situation?

It’s not the FBI that’s doing it , it appears. Could be the family that are desperate after 20 plus years of no action. Stir it up, see what the reaction is.