Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Eli Manning to announce retirement on Friday

Yeah I’ll just stick to the football player part of this thread.  

Not really interested in the ny stuff 

Thanks. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Yeah I’ll just stick to the football player part of this thread.  

Not really interested in the ny stuff 

Thanks. 

Good. I wish everyone else was able to.  Thanks. 

I think people are thankful for the Giants beating New England.  It's just that some are not willing to put Eli in the Hall of Fame for it.

Not at all thankful for the Gmen beating the Pats, don’t really care. 

But that they did, does indeed help Eli chase for the HOF. 

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, nobody said:

I think people are thankful for the Giants beating New England.  It's just that some are not willing to put Eli in the Hall of Fame for it.

Oh hes a legend for that - taking out Voldemort and Darth Sidious twice!  But, Im with Skip Bayless:  The HOF should be reserved for the no-brainer candidates that we dont have to discuss anything about.  They are just in.  Instantly in.  No debate, no sales pitch required.  IMO, too many players like Terrell Davis and Lynn Swann for example make it a JOKE since neither one is even close to being worthy.  Yet, they are in. 

So I say no to Eli for the simple reason that we have to debate it.  Two rings is nice but we cant put too much stock in that since there are hundreds of great players in the hall that never got near a Super Bowl.     Eli's body of work isnt good enough.  Hes very good and played for a while  Thats it. Not enough.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoadLizard said:

Oh hes a legend for that - taking out Voldemort and Darth Sidious twice!  But, Im with Skip Bayless:  The HOF should be reserved for the no-brainer candidates that we dont have to discuss anything about.  They are just in.  Instantly in.  No debate, no sales pitch required.  IMO, too many players like Terrell Davis and Lynn Swann for example make it a JOKE since neither one is even close to being worthy.  Yet, they are in. 

So I say no to Eli for the simple reason that we have to debate it.  Two rings is nice but we cant put too much stock in that since there are hundreds of great players in the hall that never got near a Super Bowl.     Eli's body of work isnt good enough.  Hes very good and played for a while  Thats it. Not enough.

Troy Aikman? Because his body of work is worse without the rings. Would love to hear homer Skip tackle that one. 

See a lot of personal opinions, so I would ask, do you think the HOF voters well vote him in, not saying first ballot, but eventually do you think Eli makes into the HOF , based on the voters.  

I think he well without question make it to the HOF, simply based that someone needs to go in every year, and he well be voted in by the HOF committee.  

What say you? 

23 hours ago, sderk said:

Hunt can't stay out of the news for negative things.

I don't get how you can be driving while high and not getting arrested for it.

22 hours ago, weepaws said:

Thought we already said that. 

Calm down WEEPAW....you basically re-posted what I wrote early on this thread and was not called out.

All shizzle.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

See a lot of personal opinions, so I would ask, do you think the HOF voters well vote him in, not saying first ballot, but eventually do you think Eli makes into the HOF , based on the voters.  

I think he well without question make it to the HOF, simply based that someone needs to go in every year, and he well be voted in by the HOF committee.  

What say you? 

The voters will vote him in because of his name and they think they will be required to do so...  Maybe wait some ballots before letting him in...

Eli will get in I just don’t think when people will mention great QBs from 2000-2020 that Eli would be mentioned often outside of New York...

1 hour ago, Ironmen said:

Calm down WEEPAW....you basically re-posted what I wrote early on this thread and was not called out.

All shizzle.

I love FF and used to post way more here. But Weepaws is so intrusive on every single post it's beyond annoying. 

It bums me out. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jrokh said:

#1: Different eras. It's been the past 15 years or so passing stats have exploded. Comparing Moon to his contemporaries: lead the league twice in passing yards (0 for Eli), with 7 times in the top 5 (3 for Eli). Lead in TDs once (vs 0), with 5 times in the top 5 (vs 4). Moon also had 3x as many rushing yards and rushing TDs as Eli. 9 Pro Bowls for Moon vs 4 for Eli. Moon was All Pro twice vs never for Eli.

#2: Given that it's the Pro Football HOF and not the NFL HOF, Moon's time in the CFL gives him a bit of a bump.

45 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

#2: Given that it's the Pro Football HOF and not the NFL HOF, Moon's time in the CFL gives him a bit of a bump.

This is the main reason...  Like you said it is the pro football HOF, the CFL definitely counts...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jrokh said:

Dude won 5 CFL championships in 6 seasons and he gets credit for being one of the first black quarterbacks to break through in an era where it was thought black quarterbacks were inherently inferior.  Really obtuse twitter post by Chris Pflum.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, posty said:

This is the main reason...  Like you said it is the pro football HOF, the CFL definitely counts...

Wow. Just incredibly stupid. Nice work. 

10 hours ago, posty said:

The voters will vote him in because of his name and they think they will be required to do so...  Maybe wait some ballots before letting him in...

Eli will get in I just don’t think when people will mention great QBs from 2000-2020 that Eli would be mentioned often outside of New York...

Agreed. 

11 hours ago, Ironmen said:

All shizzle.

When did Hunt make it on this thread?  My post was about Eli on this here tread about Eli  

learn to read the title . 

I think your very confused , so I’ll give you a pass. 

Thanks. 

11 hours ago, sderk said:

I love FF and used to post way more here. But Weepaws is so intrusive on every single post it's beyond annoying. 

It bums me out. 

Awww thanks man, that’s a nice thing for you to say, I post about ff on this ff site, mmmmm. 

You know you’ve said many many times that you don’t read me, but you sure seem to know a lot about me posting here mmmm. 

Thanks always appreciate you. 

20 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Troy Aikman? Because his body of work is worse without the rings. Would love to hear homer Skip tackle that one. 

Yes - another interesting career that seemed to benefit from incredible talent around him.  Its weird.... how do you come up with bullet-proof criteria for the HOF?

27 minutes ago, RoadLizard said:

Yes - another interesting career that seemed to benefit from incredible talent around him.  Its weird.... how do you come up with bullet-proof criteria for the HOF?

So do you discredit ones production because of the talent they played with?  

If he had not started his career off as a cry baby refusing to play for the Chargers I think people would think more of him. I know I would.

Does he get in to the HoF? Yes

Does he deserve to be in? Yes, just not 1st ballet.

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

When did Hunt make it on this thread?  My post was about Eli on this here tread about Eli  

learn to read the title . 

I think your very confused , so I’ll give you a pass. 

Thanks. 

Me learn to read...Hunt post was from another member.

See my second and fifth post from page one.

Give yourself a pass if you are able.

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

So do you discredit ones production because of the talent they played with?  

No but I take it into account when judging overall talent.  Doesnt everyone?  Even this year, Brady looked extremely average due to having no weapons to work with.  There are numerous cases where good players didnt reach that next level until better talent came around them.  Its a team sport.  Elway didnt win a SB until Denver got a defense & a running game.  Manning didnt either.  Even Bradys super bowls were won with great teams, not just him.  Then there are cases where great payers lose that support and suddenly look average.  

Its a TEAM sport and teams win games, not indivudual players.  You know this.

So Eli was surrounded by talent now? He played with one HOF player, for four years. Strahan. He played defense. Maybe go check pro bowl/ all pros he played with during his career. Not much. 

10 hours ago, RoadLizard said:

No but I take it into account when judging overall talent.  Doesnt everyone?  Even this year, Brady looked extremely average due to having no weapons to work with.  There are numerous cases where good players didnt reach that next level until better talent came around them.  Its a team sport.  Elway didnt win a SB until Denver got a defense & a running game.  Manning didnt either.  Even Bradys super bowls were won with great teams, not just him.  Then there are cases where great payers lose that support and suddenly look average.  

Its a TEAM sport and teams win games, not indivudual players.  You know this.

Let’s see here, you said no, but then by your new post , above you do judge based on team talent. 

Lets see you talk about Elway, and yeah he didn’t win the super until TDavis, but he was going to make the HOF like Marino without those Super Bowls , so based on team success yes T Davis helped him achieve the goal of winning the super bowl. 

Yeap its a team sport, and teams do win games, but great players help make those teams better.  

Just look at Elway before Davis arrived, Elway was still winning and even made it the super bowl before Davis cane aboard

i truly enjoy reading your post , so don’t let are discussions make you think either wise , it’s ok not to see things the same  

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Ironmen said:

Me learn to read...Hunt post was from another member.

See my second and fifth post from page one.

Give yourself a pass if you are able.

I agree with you that you need to check what the topic of the thread is before you operate a opinion, so we agree there.

No I didnt notice your second and fifth post, but I’m sure they are truly great post, probably post of 2020, I’ll vote for you. 

Hey thanks a lot for the return and the chat, I truly appreciate you. 

On 1/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, sderk said:

It bums me out. 

This.

100% proven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:07 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don't think Aikman belongs in either.

1 hour ago, Ironmen said:

This.

100% proven.

Thanks. 

This one was even better then your second and fifth post.  

I think you have 2020 locked up , poster of the year.  

Congrats. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think Aikman belongs in either.

Many don’t belong, many that aren’t in do belong, it’s not a fan vote, it’s a made up committee that votes yes or no.  

Thats why Aikman is in , he played for a great team , and popularity contest is what all trophies have become.  

I saw a ~ 6 minute video on NFL.com about this.  I think from the NFL Channel's GMFB program?  One guy used the criteria of "can you tell the story of the NFL WITHOUT the player in it?"  You can NOT, without mentioning Eli and the throws to D. Tyrell and M. Manningham in the Super Bowl wins.  So - there you go; HOF caliber. 

The  simple fact is he well make it into the HOF. 

The Hof voters well do so. 

11 hours ago, Bills04 said:

I saw a ~ 6 minute video on NFL.com about this.  I think from the NFL Channel's GMFB program?  One guy used the criteria of "can you tell the story of the NFL WITHOUT the player in it?"  You can NOT, without mentioning Eli and the throws to D. Tyrell and M. Manningham in the Super Bowl wins.  So - there you go; HOF caliber. 

You can't tell the story of the NFL without the philly special too.  You can't tell the story of the NFL without Malcolm Butler's  interception.  Do we put Foles, Trey Burton, and Butler in the Hall of Fame?  What a dumb criteria.

14 minutes ago, nobody said:

You can't tell the story of the NFL without the philly special too.  You can't tell the story of the NFL without Malcolm Butler's  interception.  Do we put Foles, Trey Burton, and Butler in the Hall of Fame?  What a dumb criteria.

You can't tell the history of the NFL without talking about Rae Carruth and Aaron Hernandez. Should they be in as well?

What the heck is the HOF? If Manning gets in, then it's simply just a museum of people who played in the NFL. Nothing all that great about them.

Maybe it should be the Hall of Mediocrity. Who cares who is in that club anyway?

41 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

You can't tell the history of the NFL without talking about Rae Carruth and Aaron Hernandez. Should they be in as well?

What the heck is the HOF? If Manning gets in, then it's simply just a museum of people who played in the NFL. Nothing all that great about them.

Maybe it should be the Hall of Mediocrity. Who cares who is in that club anyway?

It already is the Hall of Mediocrity. 

Thanks. 

On 1/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, Super Cubs said:

If he had not started his career off as a cry baby refusing to play for the Chargers I think people would think more of him. I know I would.

Does he get in to the HoF? Yes

Does he deserve to be in? Yes, just not 1st ballet.

A cry baby? His refusal to play for the Chargers is going to land him in the HoF. He's supposed to sit by and let a shlt bag organization tarnish his legacy? Why would he allow that when he had the stroke to avoid the Chargers pitfall. 

What does Richard Sherman Know? He's only a Super Bowl Champion, playing in this year's game, and went to some sorry school called Stanford...

Deion Sanders: They’re letting too many players into the Hall of Fame

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/deion-sanders-theyre-letting-too-many-players-into-the-hall-of-fame

Deion Sanders is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but he thinks that club is adding too many members.

Sanders said on the Dan Patrick Show that he believes there are too many players being allowed into the Hall of Fame, even if they weren’t truly great players, and it’s watering down the honor.

“What is a Hall of Famer now? Is it a guy who played a long time?” Sanders said. “It’s so skewed now. Once upon a time, a Hall of Famer was a player who changed the darn game, who made you want to reach in your pocket and pay your admission to see that guy play. That’s not a Hall of Famer anymore. Every Tom, and Harry, you’re a Hall of Famer, you’re a Hall of Famer, you’re a Hall of Famer. They let everybody in this thing. It’s not exclusive anymore. And I don’t like it.”

Although Sanders didn’t want to name any specific players who he thinks have watered down the Hall of Fame, when Patrick asked him about Eli Manning, Sanders answered, “You get the point.”

Sanders added that he doesn’t think there should be a minimum number of new Hall of Famers each year. The Hall has enshrined at least six new members in every class since 2006, and Sanders thinks that’s too many.

“It should be based on, ‘Are you that guy?’ Not just because we have to meet a quota,” Sanders said.

Sanders’ comments may not make him popular among some of the Hall of Fame finalists hoping to get voted in on Saturday, but he sees the Hall of Fame as a club that ought to be more exclusive than it is.

------------------

Deion gets it...