Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Eli Manning to announce retirement on Friday

Just as we've seen in this thread, Richard Sherman would emasculate Deion Sanders in a debate based on substance... But it's perfect, I think the anti-Eli crowd should have Neon Deion Primetime Sanders as their just representative...

Agree with Sanders.  

But it’s to late, it’s what it is now.  

So Eli we’ll be voted in.  

17 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

A cry baby? His refusal to play for the Chargers is going to land him in the HoF. He's supposed to sit by and let a shlt bag organization tarnish his legacy? Why would he allow that when he had the stroke to avoid the Chargers pitfall. 

It worked out well for him, but he's still a cry baby.  If he had gone to SD he might have won 10 SB, but we'll never know because he's a cry baby!!!

On 1/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, jrokh said:

Just as we've seen in this thread, Richard Sherman would emasculate Deion Sanders in a debate based on substance... But it's perfect, I think the anti-Eli crowd should have Neon Deion Primetime Sanders as their just representative...

One guy is in the Hall of Fame, and the other guy desperately wants to be in it as evidenced by him constantly telling people he's great.  Who benefits by lower standards?

Haha, we have some guy here saying “two hot runs” in a desperate attempt to minimize the fact he had two SUPER BOWL winning runs. Winning a few games mid-season is a “run” but winning the Championship is much more of an accomplishment, and both times as the MVP no less. 

Which argument seems more desperate?

1. He doesn't pass the eye test.  He was never the top 5 at his position, and his stats aren't that impressive.

2. He was good for two playoff runs, so throw out everything else he ever did and put him in the hall of fame.  Also he's in the Manning family.  And you can't tell NFL stories without him.

1 hour ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Haha, we have some guy here saying “two hot runs” in a desperate attempt to minimize the fact he had two SUPER BOWL winning runs. Winning a few games mid-season is a “run” but winning the Championship is much more of an accomplishment, and both times as the MVP no less. 

What are you talking about? Any Tom, D!ck or Harry could've gone into Lambo and pulled out those victories. Beating the best team of all-time in the Super Bowl, twice? Child's play. Eli, was lucky to even be there, it was simply happenstance. Andy Dalton would've done the same thing if only his daddy and big brother were football royalty....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Greatness.

You don't have to be great, you just have to be famous.

8 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Greatness.

You don't have to be great, you just have to be famous.

Absolutely.  

It’s obviously jealousy that has all these people in a frenzy about good guy, champion Eli. Were there pages about Aikman or Stabler getting in? Warren Moon?  Hate on haters. Almost none of you will ever see your team go on 2 championship runs like the Giants did with Eli leading the way. Epic. Historical.  Awesome. 

Must be jealousy, I mean Eli’s numbers as noted above do out weigh Bradshaw and Namath, and Montana and Johnny U. 

So based on that alone, as posted about he’s been a great one, and he’ll be a HOF.  

I mean those other four guys are so bad in comparison, they should be eliminated from the HOF, how disgusting that there names we’ll one day be untied with Eli’s.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Must be jealousy, I mean Eli’s numbers as noted above do out weigh Bradshaw and Namath, and Montana and Johnny U. 

So based on that alone, as posted about he’s been a great one, and he’ll be a HOF.  

I mean those other four guys are so bad in comparison, they should be eliminated from the HOF, how disgusting that there names we’ll one day be untied with Eli’s.  

Who said anything about Montana or Johnny U? Eli gets in in on numbers and championships. Those guys have a lot more winning on their resume. Weak attempt. Do better.  Thanks 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Who said anything about Montana or Johnny U? Eli gets in in on numbers and championships. Those guys have a lot more winning on their resume. Weak attempt. Do better.  Thanks 

You missed where it was said noted above , so you must have missed some of the other post also. 

Going through life fat, drunk and stipud isn’t a good way  

Wake up. 

Welcome. 

12 minutes ago, weepaws said:

You missed where it was said noted above , so you must have missed some of the other post also. 

Going through life fat, drunk and stipud isn’t a good way  

Wake up. 

Welcome. 

Now that’s not very Christian of you. Be better. Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Now that’s not very Christian of you. Be better. Thanks. 

You need to dummy up and move on. 

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

You need to dummy up and move on. 

I forgive you. Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I forgive you. Thanks. 

Not very hardcore like, 

i know you forgive me, and you should.  

53 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Not very hardcore like, 

i know you forgive me, and you should.  

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s.  Peace be with you. 

On 1/28/2020 at 12:15 PM, Bills04 said:

I saw a ~ 6 minute video on NFL.com about this.  I think from the NFL Channel's GMFB program?  One guy used the criteria of "can you tell the story of the NFL WITHOUT the player in it?"  You can NOT, without mentioning Eli and the throws to D. Tyrell and M. Manningham in the Super Bowl wins.  So - there you go; HOF caliber. 

So, TWO miraculous throws is all it takes?  I disgaree completely.  Eli was good and thats it.  Dude had a great playoff run a few times and did win 2 Super Bowls but that aint enough.  Not at all.  Again though, its become a popularity contest.  What does Eli Manning have to do with the "story" of the NFL?  To me thats a generic story about the game itself and how its evolved, become so popular, its roots, etc.  Not specific plays from specific games.  Thats BS. 

Whatever.  Lets just put Trent Dilfer in there too.  He won a Super Bowl. :)

1 hour ago, RoadLizard said:

So, TWO miraculous throws is all it takes?  I disgaree completely.  Eli was good and thats it.  Dude had a great playoff run a few times and did win 2 Super Bowls but that aint enough.  Not at all.  Again though, its become a popularity contest.  What does Eli Manning have to do with the "story" of the NFL?  To me thats a generic story about the game itself and how its evolved, become so popular, its roots, etc.  Not specific plays from specific games.  Thats BS. 

Dilfer only won one, wasn’t the MVP, and had no stats. The comparison is silly. 

8 hours ago, RoadLizard said:

The HOF  voters won’t vote Dilfer in , but I get your point.  

Look at the HOF list that came out yesterday, only one player on that list would I have voted for.. 

The HOF is truly not reserved for great players, it’s a place for mediocre.  

• Like 1

The Manningham throw was miraculous? Tyree, sure. But the Manningham throw was perfect. Under pressure. I’ll say it was the second greatest throw in the history of the game. Ball was placed right where it had to be. If Brady had thrown it they would have a statue of it. Miraculous my ass. Great throw. Period. 

A grand total of 108 humans on this planet have ever started a Superbowl at the QB position.  Obviously it is very hard to even get there. 

Only 12 humans have won it twice as a QB, including Eli.    Rare air, Eli deserves a gold jacket.

Only one guy caught a ball on his helmet in the super bowl.  Tyree should be in.   Jacoby Jones is the only guy to return a kick 108 yards in a super bowl.  He needs to get in.  Rod Martin is the only guy to have 3 interceptions in a super bowl.  What are we waiting for with him?

Just read that the sport of nacsar racing , we’ll limit the number of HOF enshrine people from five to three. 

I think the nfl should have started that a long time ago.  

I think two players per enshrinement is enough going forward.  

There is no question that Eli we’ll make it, but if they allow just one per season, it might be a very long time.  

14 hours ago, weepaws said:

There is no question that Eli we’ll make it, but if they allow just one per season, it might be a very long time.  

I don't think he'd make it if they only allowed 1 per season.  There are more qualified people than Eli retiring every year.  Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson become eligible next year.  So that's two years he'd have to wait.  Ever year people would jump in front of him.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

I don't think he'd make it if they only allowed 1 per season.  There are more qualified people than Eli retiring every year.  Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson become eligible next year.  So that's two years he'd have to wait.  Ever year people would jump in front of him.

yeah, but things happen for reasons other than what is right and good.

I could see the NFL inducting both Peyton and Eli the same year (if that is allowed)  It would create a media frenzy (which they would love)

I also dont see any reason why Eli, a 2 time superbowl winner wouldnt get in.   This game is about winning more than it is about stats.   While Stats play a large role in determining who is in the HOF, superbowl rings also play a large roll. 

If Eli had no superbowls to his credit I am not sure that he gets into the HOF.  but with Two rings, I dont know how you choose not to.

You can make the same argument for Troy Aikman who wasnt one of the best statistical QB's of his generation but he gets in because he is a winner of 3 superbowls.  

I would argue that is the most important stat of all.  it is the main reason most players continue to play after having injured themselves too many times.   It is the peak of the mountain (so to speak)

I suppose it is one thing to not vote in a QB who had a single superbowl, and whose stats were mediocre.   You could even argue he got lucky one year or that he was not the reason for the championship.    but once you have more than one superbowl win, I think you need to be strongly considered regardless of stats because of one reason..... you are a winner.

Don’t retired players have to wait five years before they can be voted on for the HOF? 

16 hours ago, weepaws said:

Don’t retired players have to wait five years before they can be voted on for the HOF? 

I forgot about that.    and Peyton is likely to be a first ballot HOF player.   

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

I forgot about that.    and Peyton is likely to be a first ballot HOF player.   

Ya think?

On 2/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, nobody said:

Only one guy caught a ball on his helmet in the super bowl.  Tyree should be in.   Jacoby Jones is the only guy to return a kick 108 yards in a super bowl.  He needs to get in.  Rod Martin is the only guy to have 3 interceptions in a super bowl.  What are we waiting for with him?

Lawrence Tynes kicked on two Super Bowl champions, so he should be in...

👍

On 2/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, weepaws said:

Just read that the sport of nacsar racing , we’ll limit the number of HOF enshrine people from five to three. 

I think the nfl should have started that a long time ago.  

I think two players per enshrinement is enough going forward.  

That is why it is the "Hall of Okay and Watered Down" since they want four to eight every year...

It is already watered down a lot, so letting Eli in just proves that...

1 hour ago, posty said:

That is why it is the "Hall of Okay and Watered Down" since they want four to eight every year...

You know you're right. If they "LET" Eli in, they will have to also let in every QB that finishes their career in the top ten all-time in passing yards, and passing touchdowns, with multiple Super bowl Championships, and Super bowl MVP's... Before you know it the place will be flooded with candidates and a mere hall will be nowhere big enough to house them all. They will have to change the name to the Ballroom of Fame. Such a great point you make, thanks for bringing it up and saving us all from this impending disaster... 

• Like 1

:lol:

I don't know if it was this thread or the one in the GC, but I have said he will get in, but when someone mentions Eli Manning, I don't immediately think Hall of Famer...  That is why I said "let" him in..

Also, in before...

16 hours ago, posty said:

Great post on this issue, thank you. 

23 hours ago, posty said:

Lawrence Tynes kicked on two Super Bowl champions, so he should be in...

👍

thats a little different.  people dont think of a kicker as the leader of the team.

QB's are often viewed as the leader and people will (rightly or wrongly) blame or praise the QB for the teams results.

nobody ever thinks the kicker is responsible

Just now, Ray_T said:

thats a little different.  people dont think of a kicker as the leader of the team.

QB's are often viewed as the leader and people will (rightly or wrongly) blame or praise the QB for the teams results.

nobody ever thinks the kicker is responsible

correction.... not unless he misses a game winning fg or ep.