Sign in to follow this  
jrokh

Eli Manning to announce retirement on Friday

Enjoy retirement Eli.

HOF should be waiting for the man who derailed two additional NE SB wins.

IMHO

If you announce that you are going to announce your retirement, isn't that the same as announcing your retirement?

18 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

- 117-117 career record
- 7th in passing yards
- 7th in passing TDs

Ehh, not sure I would vote for him as a Hall of Famer.

Not to mention 2 time SB MVP.....

In five years he will be looked at more favorably. Every year someone gets in to the HOF who was much less impactful than Eli. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot he surely will on the second.

Not to mention he beat the best darn football in his era twice in the super bowl. 

Hes going to make it into the HOF , no question. 

Exactly. 

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson both finished over .500 in their careers. In fact, Johnson is 19 games over. 

Manning will get in because he is a Manning. Daddy and brother will be lobbying like crazy for him.

He played for like 100 years and only twice (maybe 3 times?) finished in the top 10 of QBs in any one season. And never once in top 5 for any year. 

If longevity is a major factor in getting in to the HOF, then so be it. The hall is watered down at this point anyway.

• Like 3

I'd vote no, but he's probably going to get in.

If you look at his year by year stats, they're nothing special for this era. 4 times he made the top 5 in passing TDs, 3 times for passing yards. He never lead the league in anything major except INTs. 4 Pro Bowls, 0 All Pros. At no point in his career would you consider him a top 5 QB.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

I'd vote no, but he's probably going to get in.

If you look at his year by year stats, they're nothing special for this era. 4 times he made the top 5 in passing TDs, 3 times for passing yards. He never lead the league in anything major except INTs. 4 Pro Bowls, 0 All Pros. At no point in his career would you consider him a top 5 QB.

Pretty spot on.  He was never elite... very rarely considered great, and for about 90% of his career, he was average.  But as said above, he'll probably get in because of his last name and the city that he played it.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Pretty spot on.  He was never elite... very rarely considered great, and for about 90% of his career, he was average.  But as said above, he'll probably get in because of his last name and the city that he played it.

Please list the other QB's in NFL history who were average for "about 90% of their career" who are in the top ten in passing yards, passing touchdowns, and won multiple super bowls (Not to mention SBMVP's). I'll give you a head start. The only other QB's who have even reached the mentioned criteria are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Big Ben...

He got hot for 2 different playoff runs and led the league in turnovers pretty much every year.  Now he's supposed to be in the hall of fame.  And not just hall of fame... 1st ballot hall of fame?  :lol:

I'm no particular fan, but Eli is a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda.

56 minutes ago, nobody said:

He got hot for 2 different playoff runs and led the league in turnovers pretty much every year.  Now he's supposed to hall of fame.  And not just hall of fame... 1st ballot hall of fame?  :lol:

Had the most interceptions once. Tied one other time.  Stop making things up. 

15 hours ago, jrokh said:

Please list the other QB's in NFL history who were average for "about 90% of their career" who are in the top ten in passing yards, passing touchdowns, and won multiple super bowls (Not to mention SBMVP's). I'll give you a head start. The only other QB's who have even reached the mentioned criteria are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Big Ben...

Well, most QB's don't have to throw that many yards or TD's because most of those guys don't throw as many Int's as Eli... causing the need to have to throw more.  When you're losing a lot, like Eli - as his career .500 record shows, there's a greater need for those yards and TD's.  He's a perfectly fine QB and his durability allowed for him to have a long career, and that's great... for HIM, but that doesn't mean the production warrants Hall of Fame recognition.  Also, Eli and all of these other QB's, are in the era of massive offensive output so the high number of yards is surface only.  As time goes by, more and more players will pass him and others, or at least be similar in production.

For example... Joe Flacco.  The guy is the textbook definition of "average".  If he plays 4 more seasons and produces the same as his career average, his numbers will be in the ball park of Eli's.  Of course the TD's won't be as high, but the Int's will be no where near as high either.  That said, he's won a Super Bowl and the other numbers such as ypg will be close, comp% will be close, passer rating will be close, and yards per attempt will be close.

Everyone knows Winston blows, but his first 5 seasons blows Eli away.  Yards, TD's, comp%, passer rating, etc.  The ONLY difference between the two is the Ints... and that's not saying much, as their Int% is only 0.2 different.  Someone will sign Winston, God I hope it's not Tampa, but he will get more games to play.  If he continues his pace, but get's lucky like Eli and have his defense carry him to a Super Bowl or 2, then he'll have a career much like Eli.

The main point is, the counting stats don't mean as much as they used to because they're inflated based on the era football.  Their rates and ratios are more important as well as how they compare to their peers.  As someone mentioned earlier, he was almost never really one of the 7 best QB's in the league during his tenure.  I mean, if you're not even top 5 among your peers, how can you make an argument for being one of the most elite of all time?  Homers can, I get that, but the rest of the world isn't going to buy it.

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I'm no particular fan, but Eli is a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he get's in... I think we're all arguing that he doesn't belong in.  It's better for the H.O.F. that he doesn't get in... and better for Giants fans if he does.

Eli:  threw for 4K yards in 2009, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16 & 18.  Had 3,900+ in 2012 and 3,800+ in 2013.  In 2011 he threw for 4,933 - so almost in the 5K club.  In 2011, he set a PLAYOFF RECORD of 1,200+ passing yards.  And, a 2-time Superbowl MVP - including derailing the Patriots' perfect season.  So, yeah - I'll say HOF caliber.

8 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Had the most interceptions once. Tied one other time.  Stop making things up. 

Don't forget all of his fumbles

1 hour ago, Bills04 said:

Eli:  threw for 4K yards in 2009, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16 & 18.  Had 3,900+ in 2012 and 3,800+ in 2013.  In 2011 he threw for 4,933 - so almost in the 5K club.  In 2011, he set a PLAYOFF RECORD of 1,200+ passing yards.  And, a 2-time Superbowl MVP - including derailing the Patriots' perfect season.  So, yeah - I'll say HOF caliber.

Getting hot for a playoff run puts you in the hall of fame now?  Nick Foles get ready!

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Well, most QB's don't have to throw that many yards or TD's because most of those guys don't throw as many Int's as Eli... causing the need to have to throw more.  When you're losing a lot, like Eli - as his career .500 record shows, there's a greater need for those yards and TD's.  He's a perfectly fine QB and his durability allowed for him to have a long career, and that's great... for HIM, but that doesn't mean the production warrants Hall of Fame recognition.  Also, Eli and all of these other QB's, are in the era of massive offensive output so the high number of yards is surface only.  As time goes by, more and more players will pass him and others, or at least be similar in production.

For example... Joe Flacco.  The guy is the textbook definition of "average".  If he plays 4 more seasons and produces the same as his career average, his numbers will be in the ball park of Eli's.  Of course the TD's won't be as high, but the Int's will be no where near as high either.  That said, he's won a Super Bowl and the other numbers such as ypg will be close, comp% will be close, passer rating will be close, and yards per attempt will be close.

Everyone knows Winston blows, but his first 5 seasons blows Eli away.  Yards, TD's, comp%, passer rating, etc.  The ONLY difference between the two is the Ints... and that's not saying much, as their Int% is only 0.2 different.  Someone will sign Winston, God I hope it's not Tampa, but he will get more games to play.  If he continues his pace, but get's lucky like Eli and have his defense carry him to a Super Bowl or 2, then he'll have a career much like Eli.

The main point is, the counting stats don't mean as much as they used to because they're inflated based on the era football.  Their rates and ratios are more important as well as how they compare to their peers.  As someone mentioned earlier, he was almost never really one of the 7 best QB's in the league during his tenure.  I mean, if you're not even top 5 among your peers, how can you make an argument for being one of the most elite of all time?  Homers can, I get that, but the rest of the world isn't going to buy it.

Fine, you want to ignore the championships and the counting stats, the historical criteria that Hall of Fames in all sports have used for our entire lives? No problem. Here is the indisputable analytical argument. BOOM... You've just been Jrokhed...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

The Giants won the super bowl in 2011 with the 32nd running game and 26th defense. How on earth did that happen? Meanwhile, Eli was setting the record for most 4th quarter TD’s. And throwing for 4900. I guess he got lucky in a few games. And the Giants needed every one of those Td’s 

Let’s see: Beat the top ranked Cowboys on the road.  Beat the Packers in the NFC championship in OT in the road. Beat the undefeated Patriots in the SB.  Then, beat the 15-1 top ranked Packers in GB. Beat the 49’rs on the road in the NFC championship in OT, beat The Patriots again in the SB. Two fourth qtr TD drives to win Super Bowls. Beat Romo, Favre, Brady 2x, Rodgers and Matt Ryan in post season. One of those games at home. Yup, got lucky for a couple of games. Was favored in one of those playoff games. Clutch. It’s too bad Plaxico didn’t have the safety on. 

I agree.  Every quarterback that has two good 4 game stretches should be in the hall.

19 minutes ago, nobody said:

I agree.  Every quarterback that has two good 4 game stretches should be in the hall.

Yeah. No context there. A four game stretch in September/October is the same as one in December/January.  Sure. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mike FF Today said:

- 117-117 career record
- 7th in passing yards
- 7th in passing TDs

Ehh, not sure I would vote for him as a Hall of Famer.

Oh don't do that...  You will have HT yelling at you...

@RaiderHaters Revenge

He will get in, but the Hall is already watered down big time, Eli getting in will just add to it...

2 hours ago, nobody said:

Getting hot for a playoff run puts you in the hall of fame now?  Nick Foles get ready!

And Joe Flacco...

If Foles or Dilfer or Flacco did it twice and had the numbers we would be debating them. They don’t. Eli does. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If Foles or Dilfer or Flacco did it twice and had the numbers we would be debating them. They don’t. Eli does. 

Matt Ryan shreds every single stat of Eli, and had a 28-0 lead, if their def didnt shat the bed would he be in?

NOPE

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that he get's in... I think we're all arguing that he doesn't belong in.  It's better for the H.O.F. that he doesn't get in... and better for Giants fans if he does.

Love your post, I think it’s nails it.  

Also agree with seafoam, the game and the HOF have become so watered down I don’t think it’s as big of a deal to fans that it once was. 

I do think he gets it.  

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Matt Ryan shreds every single stat of Eli, and had a 28-0 lead, if their def didnt shat the bed would he be in?

NOPE

If Ryan breaks all of Eli single season stats and beats the Bradys, I say yeah there is certainly a gets in, based on the HOF is running out of great players to pick from, they need for someone to make it, so I would say eventually Ryan would have been voted in. 

And one doesn’t need a super victory to get in.  

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

NOPE

Let’s not forget Matt Ryan’s contribution to that downfall. He wilted too. 

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

And one doesn’t need a super victory to get in.  

Oh that is going to make some people angry...  Philip Rivers doesn't deserve the Hall because he doesn't have a ring, even though almost every career stat is better than Eli...

1 hour ago, posty said:

Oh that is going to make some people angry...  Philip Rivers doesn't deserve the Hall because he doesn't have a ring, even though almost every career stat is better than Eli...

Probably so, one just need to look at Dan Marino.  

Who was a lot better player then Rivers and Eli combined, imo  

Thanks  

1 hour ago, posty said:

If he had two rings he would be a shoe in. 

26 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Probably so, one just need to look at Dan Marino.  

Who was a lot better player then Rivers and Eli combined, imo  

Thanks  

Marino didn’t need a ring. Rivers and Eli do. Rivers doesn’t have one, nevermind two. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Marino didn’t need a ring. Rivers and Eli do. Rivers doesn’t have one, nevermind two. 

Absolutely. 

35 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Absolutely. 

Right. Eli is a lock HOF based on any criteria. If he played anywhere but NY haters wouldn’t say a word. Jealousy 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Right. Eli is a lock HOF based on any criteria. If he played anywhere but NY haters wouldn’t say a word. Jealousy 

Thought we already said that. 

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Thought we already said that. 

I didn’t see where playing in NY was mentioned and that people are jealous and hate NY.