Sign in to follow this  
peenie

2: Is it the 2nd down or 2nd quarter?

Am I the only one that gets confused sometimes? I see a 2 and I'm not sure. I wish they'd make it clearer. Like why can't they simply put 2Q or 2nd Down. They should really change that.

I'm just saying, sometimes when I've turned in on the game and I look and I see the 2 there, it's not immediately clear if the 2 is for 2nd down or 2nd quarter.

1 minute ago, peenie said:

I'm just saying, sometimes when I've turned in on the game and I look and I see the 2 there, it's immediately clear if the 2 is for 2nd down or 2nd quarter.

If it's close to the clock(game time) then it's the quarter, if it's followed by a number then its down

10 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

If it's close to the clock(game time) then it's the quarter, if it's followed by a number then its down

Really? Thank you! :thumbsup:

#2. If it’s brown, flush it down

22 minutes ago, peenie said:

The "Down" designation is always followed by distance to go.  It would never be alone.

25 minutes ago, peenie said:

No, as I said if it's close to the game clock/time it will be the quarter, they go hand in hand.  the down marker will never be next to the clock

24 minutes ago, peenie said:

The very right of that graphic is where you'll want to devote most of your attention.  85% of the time, it will turn yellow, meaning the previous play didn't happen.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

No, as I said if it's close to the game clock/time it will be the quarter, they go hand in hand.  the down marker will never be next to the clock

Don't you go mansplaining!!!!  Bastard! :nono:

Furthermore, my eyes can't see the difference between a pass rush and blitz. Same thing!

Rushing towards the quarterback. And really, must this even be defined? Doesn't it happen in every play??

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

Furthermore, my eyes can't see the difference between a pass rush and blitz. Same thing!

Rushing towards the quarterback. And really, must this even be defined? Doesn't it happen in every play??

I'm sure a simple google would answer these but no they are not the same. A 'pass rush' infers that you are rushing the QB with your Down Linemen be is 3 or 4 depending on your defensive scheme.  A 'blitz' indicates that you are rushing players/positions that are not typically associated with a pass rush such as a linebacker/safety or corner.

No they do not happen every play and blitzes are not limited to pass plays, there are also run blitzes but that is another topic.

God forbid that have the play clock there as well...

They NEVER have a 3 for 3rd quarter or 3rd down...  They also will never have 3rd for just "3rd down", they always put down out there...  There is no way to be confused...

6 minutes ago, posty said:

God forbid that have the play clock there as well...

Oh sh1t!  Is it the 19th quarter or 19th down?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Am I the only one that gets confused sometimes? I see a 2 and I'm not sure. I wish they'd make it clearer. Like why can't they simply put 2Q or 2nd Down. They should really change that.

My c3 / 4a hair is completely frizzy with no definition when wet, and always poofy. Why? 

5 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

My c3 / 4a hair is completely frizzy with no definition when wet, and always poofy. Why? 

take it to the curly board

I bet I'm not the only one confused. I bet if you ask your wife or girlfriend if the play they just saw was a blitz or a pass rush she wouldn't know. Just turn to the a game really quick and ask her to look at the ticker tape thing and ask her really quick to tell you what quarter it is and what down and I bet it will take a few seconds, where for you guys you'd know right away.

That 3rd could be 3rd down or 3rd quarter!!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, posty said:

They also will never have 3rd for just "3rd down", they always put down out there...  There is no way to be confused...

They do not always put 3rd down or I'd never be confused!!

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

I bet I'm not the only one confused. I bet if you ask your wife or girlfriend if the play they just saw was a blitz or a pass rush she wouldn't know. Just turn to the a game really quick and ask her to look at the ticker tape thing and ask her really quick to tell you what quarter it is and what down and I bet it will take a few seconds, where for you guys you'd know right away.

If I asked, my GF would laugh and say: "Why are you asking me? You are the one who likes football."

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

You didn't answer my question :wall:

2 hours ago, peenie said:

I'm just saying, sometimes when I've turned in on the game and I look and I see the 2 there, it's not immediately clear if the 2 is for 2nd down or 2nd quarter.

Wait ONE play, then you'll forever know.

HTH

3 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Wait ONE play, then you'll forever know.

HTH

Well, yeah, I know after the play ends but I'm just saying, sometimes I want to know immediately what's going on when I'm turning channels.

10 minutes ago, peenie said:

They do not always put 3rd down or I'd never be confused!!

They won't put 3rd down down if it was second or fourth down...  That would be silly...

19 minutes ago, peenie said:

I have taken my wife to a Patriots game a few times.  The first time, I think that we were dating.  She was not allowed to go to the game until she could name the starting QB and RB from the other team and what defense they ran.  I think that she still knows Steve McNair, Eddie George and the 4-6.  :lol:

25 minutes ago, peenie said:

No it couldn't and it has been explained to you as to why it couldn't in very simple terms

And...can someone explain the time out? I understand that you need a time out to explain something or to change a player, but teams use it in devious ways. I learned recently that the Patriots coach used the time out in a way that benefitted him but when an opposing team used it recently in the same exact way that benefitted them, he got really upset. I know that they use time outs in the 4th quarter to prevent the clock from running out. Right? Will someone with patience, please explain the time out and why it's important to save them? I bet some of you didn't see those bars and I bet you learned something here today, not just me! You just won't admit it. I never knew there were timeout bars. Maybe only ESPN uses them.

Now I feel stupid. I guess I answered my own question, you save the time out to stop the clock.

I may delete this one. It's embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

And...can someone explain the time out? I understand that you need a time out to explain something or to change a player, but teams use it in devious ways. I learned recently that the Patriots coach used the time out in a way that benefitted him but when an opposing team used it recently in the same exact way that benefitted them, he got really upset. I know that they use time outs in the 4th quarter to prevent the clock from running out. Right? Will someone with patience, please explain the time out and why it's important to save them? I bet some of you didn't see those bars and I bet you learned something here today, not just me! You just won't admit it. I never knew there were timeout bars. Maybe only ESPN uses them.

LOL, pretty much every TV source that televises football uses the dashes or dots to signify Time outs.

Players are changed pretty much after every play, it has nothing to do with time outs.

There is no devious way to use a time out.

Each team gets 3 time outs per half to use at their discretion, there are also injury timeouts and TV time outs through out the game and then there is the 2 minute warning at the end of each half.  Their significance is that they can stop the clock from running.  Certain types of plays will cause the game clock to keep running and if you are behind and trying to score being able to stop the clock after one of those plays is very beneficial that is why you try to save them for the end of the half/game

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

Now I feel stupid. I guess I answered my own question, you save the time out to stop the clock.

I may delete this one. It's embarrassing.

May?

I am surprised it lasted this long already...

Why in baseball, when a guy scores, aren't all the guys from both teams happy for that? Is it out of jealousy or something?

And why when I watch a game on TV are some of the circles lit up and the others aren't?  

This thing:

In October, Patriots coach Bill Belichick acknowledged exploiting a loophole in the rules to run extra time off the clock in the fourth quarter of a win over the Jets. On Saturday night, the Titans did the same thing to the Patriots.

Thanks to NFL rules that re-start the game clock after a penalty, the Titans, while leading in the fourth quarter, took a delay of game penalty to take 40 seconds off the clock before punting, then false started with one second remaining on the play clock to take another 39 seconds off the clock. After that the Patriots helped the Titans by jumping offside, which allowed the Titans to run even more time off the clock. By the time the Titans finally punted, the clock had gone from 6:35 when the Titans initially faced fourth down to 4:50 when the ball was actually punted.

Belichick said after the game that the Titans’ strategy to use penalties to take time off the clock was the same one he had used.

“We’ve talked about this before. It’s the same thing we’ve talked about before. There’s no change,” Belichick said.

In October, Belichick pointed out that the way he had taken penalties was a loophole in the rules that should be fixed.

“It was just the way the rules are set up. We were able to run quite a bit of time off the clock without really having to do anything. That’s probably a loophole that will be closed and probably should be closed but right now it’s open,” Belichick said in October.

There are limits to how teams can exploit this loophole: With five minutes or less remaining in the fourth quarter, it doesn’t work because penalties always stop the clock inside five minutes. And if the Titans had done it a third time, they could have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, which would have cost them 15 yards of field position and stopped the clock. But until the rules change, it’s undeniably a smart strategy, one that Belichick has now both used successfully and had used against him.

I don't understand it because I stopped reading. :wacko:

I read it again and I understand it now. Smart!

2 hours ago, peenie said:

Pass rush is a broad term generally referring to sending defenders to try to sack the QB.
Blitz is a subset of pass rush that is used to denote sending more than 4 defenders to try to sack the QB.
Sending 4 is a subset of pass rush that is used to denote the standard set of 4 players being sent to try to sack the QB
Sending 3 or prevent is a subset of pass rush that is used to denote that they are sending less than 4.
Zone Blitz is a subset of blitz where you send more than 4, but also drop a down lineman (that normally rushes the QB) into pass coverage. 

Oddly, there is no special term for sending the standard 4.