Sign in to follow this  
peenie

2: Is it the 2nd down or 2nd quarter?

Some of the things I might look at (when watching on TV) in a defensive alignment before the snap are:

1. I do a quick headcount of how many defenders are on my screen.  If I just see 9, the safeties might be deep ready to double a deep pass and the defense probably thinks a pass is coming.  If I see all 11 on the screen, the defense probably thinks a run is coming and the secondary is cheating up closer to the line of scrimmage ready to fill any holes.
2. How many defenders are right up on the line of scrimmage before the snap? If its a lot, watch for the blitz.  Sometimes on the snap, they yeet backwards and drop into pass coverage tho.
3. If the cornerbacks are up on the line of scrimmage before the snap, watch and see if they are jamming the wide receivers right at the line.  They might do that to ruin timing routes or knock them off the route they are running.

Also note that there are usually holes in the defense a LOT.  Even the best defenses.  QBs often miss them.  Sometimes they just don't see the open man.  Sometimes the QB is on a strict leash and needs to throw a certain pass.  Other times, the QB simply does not trust the receiver and thinks he will drop it and even though the guy is open he will not throw the pass.

As a general rule for QBs, if he scans the field and sees a WR being covered by just one defender, and the QB can read the name on defender's jersey, he should throw the pass to him because the defender has his back to the QB so he doesn't know what's coming and you either get a completed pass or an incomplete, and a professional WR should be able to make a play on the ball to catch that.  The defender isn't going to be able to pick it off because he doesn't even see it.  But sometimes that doesn't happen for various reasons like pass rush pressure or the play is a precise timing route where the QB is throwing to a spot at a certain time and the receiver needs to be there.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Now I feel stupid. I guess I answered my own question, you save the time out to stop the clock.

I may delete this one. It's embarrassing.

I told you to Peenie this in the third post.  It IS embarrassing.

12 minutes ago, riversco said:

Some of the things I might look at (when watching on TV) in a defensive alignment before the snap are:

1. I do a quick headcount of how many defenders are on my screen.  If I just see 9, the safeties might be deep ready to double a deep pass and the defense probably thinks a pass is coming.  If I see all 11 on the screen, the defense probably thinks a run is coming and the secondary is cheating up closer to the line of scrimmage ready to fill any holes.
2. How many defenders are right up on the line of scrimmage before the snap? If its a lot, watch for the blitz.  Sometimes on the snap, they yeet backwards and drop into pass coverage tho.
3. If the cornerbacks are up on the line of scrimmage before the snap, watch and see if they are jamming the wide receivers right at the line.  They might do that to ruin timing routes or knock them off the route they are running.

Also note that there are usually holes in the defense a LOT.  Even the best defenses.  QBs often miss them.  Sometimes they just don't see the open man.  Sometimes the QB is on a strict leash and needs to throw a certain pass.  Other times, the QB simply does not trust the receiver and thinks he will drop it and even though the guy is open he will not throw the pass.

As a general rule for QBs, if he scans the field and sees a WR being covered by just one defender, and the QB can read the name on defender's jersey, he should throw the pass to him because the defender has his back to the QB so he doesn't know what's coming and you either get a completed pass or an incomplete, and a professional WR should be able to make a play on the ball to catch that.  The defender isn't going to be able to pick it off because he doesn't even see it.  But sometimes that doesn't happen for various reasons like pass rush pressure or the play is a precise timing route where the QB is throwing to a spot at a certain time and the receiver needs to be there.

Omg.....that is amazing. When do you guys have time to learn this stuff?? You are looking at the game entirely different than what I'm looking at.

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

This has to be a joke

Sadly, it is not.

I will not delete it though because people have taken time to answer, even though I seem really stupid.

2 hours ago, peenie said:

Well, yeah, I know after the play ends but I'm just saying, sometimes I want to know immediately what's going on when I'm turning channels.

I'm saying one...one single play.  If the 2 goes to a 3 after that....you'll know for the rest of that game and every other game from then on that it represents down.   The next time you're flipping channels, you'll  still know from the last time. 

Teach a man to fish....

• Like 1

I mean, I know that I can watch and wait and tell, I was just saying that it should be clearer.

What does it mean in tennis when they put up:

6-1 4-6 7-6 6-7 0-6

And what does it mean when they say "love"?

I just don't get it. :dunno:

7 hours ago, peenie said:

I bet I'm not the only one confused. 

im confused

as to why this is a thread

5 hours ago, peenie said:

Omg.....that is amazing. When do you guys have time to learn this stuff?? You are looking at the game entirely different than what I'm looking at.

Some of us played the game in pop warner, high school and/or college. Or maybe just watched a lot on tv over a couple/few decades. We instinctively look at offensive/defensive formations and can usually tell if the play is going to be a run or pass.

We notice things like when a receiver goes in motion does a defender go with him? That means the D is in man to man coverage. If not, they're in zone coverage. Meaning each defender is responsible for covering a certain portion (zone) of the field. The QB will read this and might audible to another play if he doesn't like what he sees. 

Keep watching. Keep learning the game. You aren't going to pick it all up in a season or 5.

Look at it this way, if we were sitting on the couch watching CSI or something, I wouldn't have a clue what any of the instruments and gadgets are that they were using or what they do. You'd be like "Oh, that's  an electron microscope." Or "that's a spectrometer." I'd be like :huh:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, peenie said:

Yah I hear that when I play people in madden.  I can call running plays and follow the blocks and pick up huge yards.  Or I like throwing the TE.  Pre-snap I'm thinking of the 3 button sequence to press to toss it to the TE.  At the snap of the ball, I immediately watch to see if a defender chips him or throws him off his route.  If so, I might throw it to another guy, or hold it and wait for him to get back on his route.  I make all of the decisions in 1-2 seconds.  I just stomp people in the game with the worst teams and they freak out lol. 

Its just like anything else.  You pick up one thing at a time.  Maybe once a month you learn something new and eventually you see a lot of what is going on.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Meglamaniac said:

LOL, pretty much every TV source that televises football uses the dashes or dots to signify Time outs.

Players are changed pretty much after every play, it has nothing to do with time outs.

There is no devious way to use a time out.

Each team gets 3 time outs per half to use at their discretion, there are also injury timeouts and TV time outs through out the game and then there is the 2 minute warning at the end of each half.  Their significance is that they can stop the clock from running.  Certain types of plays will cause the game clock to keep running and if you are behind and trying to score being able to stop the clock after one of those plays is very beneficial that is why you try to save them for the end of the half/game

She's talking about purposely taking pre-snap penalties outside of 5 minutes remaining to bleed the clock

19 hours ago, riversco said:

My general rule of thumb is anybody who looks like they're blitzing probably isn't.  The ones you need to be careful about or the ones that seem to be just hanging around.

Defenses are so obsessed with tricking the quarterback that they are becoming predictable in that way.

One thing to watch in this Super Bowl are the Chiefs' running a play called the "Jets Sweep".

Before the snap, the Chiefs will send a WR running along the line of scrimmage at top speed.  The QB snaps the ball when both of them are close.  The QB makes a ?possible? hand off to that WR.  OR he will take 1-2 more steps back and hand it to the RB running the other way.  OR he will keep it and look to pass.  OR the QB will take off and run himself.

What makes this so deadly with the Chiefs is they run this with WR Tyreek Hill who is one of the fastest players in the NFL.  If he gets the ball and the defense doesn't commit to stopping him, he is going to make it around the corner with his speed and make a huge gain.  But if the defense commits to it, everything else might be wide open.  But the Chiefs have so much team speed its very hard to stop.  It was even more of a nightmare last year when the Chiefs had RB Kareem Hunt who is pretty speedy as well. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:17 PM, peenie said:

I bet I'm not the only one confused. I bet if you ask your wife or girlfriend if the play they just saw was a blitz or a pass rush she wouldn't know. Just turn to the a game really quick and ask her to look at the ticker tape thing and ask her really quick to tell you what quarter it is and what down and I bet it will take a few seconds, where for you guys you'd know right away.

That 3rd could be 3rd down or 3rd quarter!!!!!!!

Only cucks like MDC and Digby34 M-15 watch football with their wife.