Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

eBay Store

I don't have a store, but do sell items on eBay from time to time.

eBay now collects sales tax - and it's already having an effect on buyers.

39 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

But why?

Store A in you city  = item is $99 + tax.
Store B in your city = item is $99 + tax.

Are you going to not buy the item "because tax" ?

What I'm getting at....tax will find a way to a seller at some point one way or another. Could be in the form of an audit by the State Tax Commissioner.   Some may take more time than others, because some sellers are dragging their feet, etc.  Once it finds a way to the seller, it's going to find its way to the buyer, right?

Ebay sellers shouldn't be at any more of a disadvantage than any other marketplace, right?  What  am I missing? 

39 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

More to my point.  Why pay tax and fees if someone on our forum wants your item.

list your name, let me see your wares.

21 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

But why?

Store A in you city  = item is $99 + tax.
Store B in your city = item is $99 + tax.

Are you going to not buy the item "because tax" ?

What I'm getting at....tax will find a way to a seller at some point one way or another. Could be in the form of an audit by the State Tax Commissioner.   Some may take more time than others, because some sellers are dragging their feet, etc.  Once it finds a way to the seller, it's going to find its way to the buyer, right?

I really couldn't tell you. I'm just here to tell of what I've experienced (personally) as a seller - not as any kind of expert on the economics.

I've had actual exchanges with buyers wanting to negotiate based solely on the added price of tax.... Secondly, there's the headache of collecting taxes paid on returned items. As a buyer if/when you return an item - you are not refunded the full price paid. As a buyer you are refunded the full amount, minus the tax.. If you wish to collect the tax paid too - you have to take that up and file with eBay.

I went thru hell with one buyer who returned a golf bag to me... eBay actually tells you the price to refund - but again it's minus the tax. I issued a refund based on the amount eBay told me - they guy went ballistic. He was convinced I shorted him.... After much haggling I finally had eBay step in and let them deal with the guy.

Cruzer  ... yeah.... what a flipping mess.  

Ick. 

I frequently purchase golf stuff off eBay from sellers I’ve used in the past and trust. My irons are off eBay (Callaway x forged 2009) were probably 700 in stores when I bought them and I paid about 375 brand new. Was my first major eBay club purchase and I was super nervous about fakes. Callaway was kind enough when I called them to sort of side skirt their rules and ask me what hat the sellers name was and give me a nod that the seller was indeed someone who had a retail account with them. 

now I test clubs in stores and use eBay to buy for steep discounts. I don’t recall ever paying sales tax until recently when I bought my dad a spider putter and paid tax. 

I’ll still use eBay especially for golf shirts, shorts etc. I see something I like in golf galaxy and I can pick it up 25% cheaper. 

also eBay is great for finding apparel no longer sold in stores. 

19 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Who has an eBay store or sells on eBay?

List your name and maybe I’ll buy something.

I am in charge of all the iphones and ipad,. acccounts, purchases and upgrades. I have a shitton of iphone 8s and xs' and ipads

They are not for sale on ebay, but I feel like they should be.

Selling on eBay is ehhh. I sell small things I can send in envelopes and I just throw a stamp on and hope the buyer doesn’t screw me and say they didn’t get it (because I can’t track the item and have no proof) it’s only happened once. 

it’s just if I try to sell a golf club of my own, for example, after I pay for a shipping label, find a box to put it in, eBay takes their 10% cut and PayPal takes about a 6% cut; it’s not even worth the effort. 

I post larger items on Craigslist. For example I won a point and shoot bushnell in a golf outing but I prefer to use my belt buckle golf GPS. Sold the bushnell locally for $125

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I post larger items on Craigslist. 

used dildos?

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

It’s just if I try to sell a golf club of my own, for example, after I pay for a shipping label, find a box to put it in, eBay takes their 10% cut and PayPal takes about a 6% cut; it’s not even worth the effort.

I've pretty much arrived here too, especially after one of my last sales.

Shipping is an absolute killer for golf clubs/bags.. It can weigh less than 5 lbs, doesn't 'matter - you could be on the hook for $20, $30..

I'm pretty much just listing on FB, CL and Offer Up now - no shipping or tax hassle to mess with.

18 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am in charge of all the iphones and ipad,. acccounts, purchases and upgrades. I have a shitton of iphone 8s and xs' and ipads

They are not for sale on ebay, but I feel like they should be.

Verizon unlocked? 

bastard. I just got a bunch of iPhones for my family and my father was bitching that the XR doesn’t have the home button. That was a headache

7 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Verizon unlocked? 

bastard. I just got a bunch of iPhones for my family and my father was bitching that the XR doesn’t have the home button. That was a headache

Everything 8 and above from Verizon is unlocked.  ATT is the only suckbag company that locks their phones

I buy and sell cards through FB groups using Paypal.  I haven't sold a lot yet, but I will probably stick with it instead of going to ebay.  Ebay is huge marketplace, but their fees can really cut into your profits.  

I'm sure state govts. want to get their hands on the tax revenue they're missing from all these sales, so they'll probably figure out how to crack down on it soon.

33 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I buy and sell cards through FB groups using Paypal.  I haven't sold a lot yet, but I will probably stick with it instead of going to ebay.  Ebay is huge marketplace, but their fees can really cut into your profits.  

I'm sure state govts. want to get their hands on the tax revenue they're missing from all these sales, so they'll probably figure out how to crack down on it soon.

Glad you responded.  Maybe list some of your cards for sale here?  Some may have interest.

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Glad you responded.  Maybe list some of your cards for sale here?  Some may have interest.

Maybe some day, but I don't know that Mike would want this site used for that kind of commerce.    Having said that, there is an interesting connection between fantasy sports and sports cards.  

Right now. I'm mostly focused on buying and building inventory.  I've bought lots of high end singles and vintage cards that I'll hold unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.  I've also bought large lots from garage and estate sales that I pull the singles rookies from.  I make team packs with the rest.  My sons will sell this those in the summer at the downtown market.

Just now, vuduchile said:

Maybe some day, but I don't know that Mike would want this site used for that kind of commerce.    Having said that, there is an interesting connection between fantasy sports and sports cards.  

Right now. I'm mostly focused on buying and building inventory.  I've bought lots of high end singles and vintage cards that I'll hold unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.  I've also bought large lots from garage and estate sales that I pull the singles rookies from.  I make team packs with the rest.  My sons will sell this those in the summer at the downtown market.

I get it.  Do a contest for the super bowl and give the winner a decent card to promote yourself.  

im in!

Just now, Alias Detective said:

I get it.  Do a contest for the super bowl and give the winner a decent card to promote yourself.  

im in!

Hmm.  maybe

1 hour ago, edjr said:

Everything 8 and above from Verizon is unlocked.  ATT is the only suckbag company that locks their phones

Damn I absolutely would have bought about 4 iPhone 8’s from you :mad:

1 hour ago, edjr said:

used dildos?

Obviously. 

also furniture, car speakers, a mattress I bought that sleepys wouldn’t let me return even though it was still in the plastic :thumbsdown:   A 95 Jeep Wrangler for my uncle....

I've never been one to sell things online but I do buy a lot online.  I buy a decent amount of fishing gear on eBay.

2 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

I’m looking at me best card.  The Topps 320 Bonds Rookie.  What error do I want to see?

Values for that card are here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=topps+barry+bonds+rookie+320&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=10

It shows what they've recently sold for on ebay.  This is the most accurate, up to date price info available.  If the card is graded a PSA 10, it could be worth some cash.  If its' raw (ungraded) and avg condition, it's probably worth a buck or two.