WhiteWonder

2020 Season Discussion

What the ehff?  :huh:

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde announced Saturday that first baseman Trey Mancini will undergo an "imminent non-baseball medical procedure" and that he's going to miss "some time".

Hyde also announced that the club wishes to respect Mancini's privacy at this time, but will have an update with more information at some point. Mancini hasn't played in a Grapefruit League game since Monday due to illness. For fantasy owners who have drafts in the coming weeks, Mancini now becomes a complete wild card until more information is known on how much time he may stand to miss.

2 hours ago, Mookz said:

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde announced Saturday that first baseman Trey Mancini will undergo an "imminent non-baseball medical procedure" and that he's going to miss "some time".

Hyde also announced that the club wishes to respect Mancini's privacy at this time, but will have an update with more information at some point. Mancini hasn't played in a Grapefruit League game since Monday due to illness. For fantasy owners who have drafts in the coming weeks, Mancini now becomes a complete wild card until more information is known on how much time he may stand to miss.

carlos carrasco situation?

48 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

carlos carrasco situation?

Either that or he'll be returning to camp as "Tracy" Mancini.  :ninja:

😂

Anyone have spare catchers they are willing to pawn?  I wouldn't mind moving down in the supplemental for a catcher who can hit above the Mendoza line😅

11 minutes ago, Jim Mora said:

Anyone have spare catchers they are willing to pawn?  I wouldn't mind moving down in the supplemental for a catcher who can hit above the Mendoza line😅

I have a few. 

Hit me

Certainly willing to listen to offers for the #1 pick.  B)

Hit me

On 3/9/2020 at 8:02 AM, Jim Mora said:

I tried to PM you on here but it said you don’t receive messages.  Sent you a proposal at the Yahoo league site. 

On 3/8/2020 at 10:46 AM, Mookz said:

Malignant colon tumor, post-surgery.

3 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Malignant colon tumor, post-surgery.

Yup, sux0rz.  At least he'll have more time to recover now.  :(

Still have a 3B available all 3 should be productive starters.  For a OF or RP.

I had Lamet penciled in for round two before we even knew the draft order. Big risk, big upside (I hope). My ultimate decision was made easier when Berrios was taken off the board 

Two players I’m surprised have not been drafted. Then again that happens every year when you have to factor in team needs

23 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Two players I’m surprised have not been drafted. Then again that happens every year when you have to factor in team needs

I wasn’t expecting this much talent to be available this late.  I agree that there are a couple that I am shocked about. 

One of those two I simply didn't have a place for on my roster, and there was no guarantee I could flip him for something better than I got.

One of them I almost picked in round 1 and I believe he will go undrafted

Yup. Tatis Jr was going to be my pick at 27.11 if Story was gone. I guess SS is pretty deep this year. 

I was also surprised no one drafted Eloy Jimenez

those were the only two. Maybe Gary Sanchez or Mitch Garver 

I almost went with Sanchez over Realmuto. 

If I didn't go SP in 28 I was going with Eloy.  Judge and Stanton were both teasers for me as well but I didn't want the injury risk.

All rosters have been updated with the supplemental picks and I have removed the lock for roster moves...

• Thanks 2

Let’s take this down time to discuss why we have teams with boring default hat logos instead of a custom image. 

get it together! Show your uniqueness 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Let’s take this down time to discuss why we have teams with boring default hat logos instead of a custom image. 

get it together! Show your uniqueness 

My hat is sometimes worn by the Nationals...

@29 Guests

I reverted your pickup of Rhys Hoskins...  You can't just pick up other players willy-nilly...  You have been in the league long enough to know that...

Also since I am so bored, I present......

The Rays Up

[C] - Travis d’Arnaud (Mike Zunino, Steven Vogt)

Losing Ramos really hurt here. Was hoping posty picked before me and had someone more important. I actually expect Vogt to be integral to my catching rotation. 

[1B] - Wil Myers (Ji Man Choi, Yandy Diaz)

Myers has so much talent but maybe a trade somewhere would be beneficial. When healthy he is a 30-15 capable guy. 

[2B] - Brandon Lowe (Joey Wendle)

Semi weak position for me but Lowe has potential to build on last years success. I meant to draft him as exclusive and luckily there were enough better multi position eligible options that he didn’t get snagged during the supplemental 

[SS] - Trevor Story (Willy Adames)

Needed to address in the supplemental. Initially thought Story would be long gone by 11 and my plan was Ketel Marte for the middle infield dual eligibility but people cover those moving parts. Either way I was happy to move Adames into a bench role. He’s talented but not reliable. 

[3B] - Yandy Diaz (Evan Longoria, Yoshi Tsutsugo)

Weak unless Yandy really busts out. Any of these guys could claim the everyday job. With how the Rays vary their lineups, Longoria will probably get the most consistent playing time but has the least upside)

[OF] - Austin Meadows, Hunter Renfroe, Mallex Smith (Kevin Kiermaier, Avisail Garcia, Manuel Margot, Corey Dickerson)

After Meadows, this is going to be a huge rotation. Renfroe has power, Mallex is starting for now because of his ability to add steals and triples, Garcia may be the most well rounded.

[Util] - Corey Dickerson (Yoshi Tsutsugo, Avi Garcia)

Another rotation. Dickerson might find himself as an everyday outfielder anyway......

[SP] - Charlie Morton, Blake Snell, Tyler Glasnow, Dinelson Lamet, Jake Odorizzi, Chris Archer, Brendan McKay, Drew Smyly (Ryan Yarbrough, Yonny Chironos)

Owning every Rays pitcher allows me flexibility to add and drop outside of Morton who was my top draft target. Luckily I have a little team diversity in Lamet, Odorizzi, Archer and Smyly... who I think may turn out to be a big time value pitching in San Fran. Was very bummed to not land Price. Odorizzi just doesn’t have the same upside. 

[RP] - Kirby Yates, Alex Colome, Nick Anderson, Emilio Pagan, Sergio Romo, Chaz Roe, Diego Castillo, Jose Alvarado

Can’t mention enough times how I spaced out on Yates and my luck with him made my draft feel 10x better after missing so many nice pieces. I have three saves options for the time being. Pagan being traded to a non owned team was huge. I expect him to be one of the better holds guys and the next in line closer if anything happens to Yates. Between Pagan, Romo and the rest of the Rays relievers I should have plenty of holds opportunities. 

Overall this team should be light on power and offense in general. We have some speed. Pitching will be the strength assuming health. Lots of high strikeout starters and potentially the top bullpen in the Geek Homers. 

1 hour ago, posty said:

@29 Guests

I reverted your pickup of Rhys Hoskins...  You can't just pick up other players willy-nilly...  You have been in the league long enough to know that...

Whoops... Sorry about that... Too much going on

1 hour ago, 29 Guests said:

Whoops... Sorry about that... Too much going on

No problem...

19 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yup. Tatis Jr was going to be my pick at 27.11 if Story was gone. I guess SS is pretty deep this year. 

I was also surprised no one drafted Eloy Jimenez

those were the only two. Maybe Gary Sanchez or Mitch Garver 

SS is ridiculous. Glance at Fantasy Pros, Ketel Marte, Carlos Correa, and top 3 MVP finisher Marcus Semien aren't even in their top 12.

1 hour ago, ZeroTolerance said:

SS is ridiculous. Glance at Fantasy Pros, Ketel Marte, Carlos Correa, and top 3 MVP finisher Marcus Semien aren't even in their top 12.

Well yeah. Plus all the multi eligibility they seem to be pretty loose with. 

for example Ketel Marte WAS an outfielder last year and now will play 2B. Does he really deserve to be considered a SS?

I’m assuming we can make our normal roster transactions with the add/drop feature.  In other words, I can drop one of my players and pick up a player eligible for my team at this point. Is that correct?

4 minutes ago, lambert58 said:

I’m assuming we can make our normal roster transactions with the add/drop feature.  In other words, I can drop one of my players and pick up a player eligible for my team at this point. Is that correct?

Have at it.  :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, lambert58 said:

:doublethumbsup:

I always like doing the reflection as well

C - Danny Jansen (Reese McGuire) [excl still - Josh Thole]

The depth is weak but I have both my own catchers and at least one other crappy one.  Their combined WAR last year was respectable so maybe their FF#'s will be too.

1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Eric Thames, Rowdy Tellez and eventually Travis Shaw)

Their isn't a lot of upside here but the rebound or streakiness should provide acceptable production.

2B - Freddy Galvis (Cavan Biggio, Lourdes Gurriel Jr) [excl still - Joe Panik]

A solid set of choices for the keystone.  Again I'll ride the hot bat. 

SS - Bo Bichette (Freddy Galvis)

Bo should be ready.  If not then Freddy.

3B - Josh Donaldson (Vlad Guerrero Jr., Gio Urshela, Travis Shaw)

I also could have gone with Price in round 1 but i just didn't see it.  Urshela in rd 4 for what I had on the table only made sense for BPA.  Hoping to move one of the 3 so they don't rot but I'll never have an off day of where I can't plug them here or UTIL.

OF - Starling Marte, Teoscar Hernandez, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (Cavan Biggio, Eric Thames)

I still could use help here but Hernandez can be streaky good and he and Gurriel should have a little on the SB line if the team lets them go.  Marte was a slight edge for me over Blackmon.

UTIL - Vlad Jr. (Urshela, Shaw, Thames)

Limited on AVG but got some RBIs and HR in there hopefully.

SP - Brandon Woodruff, Matt Boyd (Marcus Stroman, Daniel Norris, Brett Anderson, Kendall Graveman, JA Happ, Trent Thornton, Tanner Roark, Matt Shoemaker) [excl still – Nate Pearson]

I knew I’d have to run this on quantity rather than quality again.  Double digit SPs and many are exclusive so I’ll rotate them through.  Woodruff, Stroman Norris, Pearson have potential to be really good.  (Or really bad)

RP – Liam Hendriks, David Phelps (we’ll see)

Its bad.  Truly.  But there are always WW options here for me once the season does start and once I missed Osuna and choose not to chase Giles on a rd 3 turn I figured I might lose out on any real saves production here.

P – Chase Anderson, Shun Yamaguichi, TBD

The Swing guys should be rotated a lot.  Both these guys either will or won’t be in the rotation but should qualify as both RP/SP.

Overall I’m not happy with my planning this year.  Went solidly BPA in the draft but it didn’t pan out to be a good team.  Although I wasn’t expecting high hopes looking at what I had to chose from. It’s going to swing on how the young Jays pan out, who comes up in the pitching ranks as injuries or opportunities hit, and what else happens in the league where someone might need something and is willing to shake things up.

Post Draft Self analysis.   

Summary - I came into the draft with a full complement of solid starters at each position.  My goal for the draft was to acquire high upside players and provide flexibility for my roster by having options for each position.  I chose not to address pitching in the supplemental because I have 10 exclusive starters and a full compliment of Cardinals relievers to carry me through.  My analysis includes players on my current Yahoo roster as well as some key players who I don't have on there but are exclusive and will move onto the roster as needed.  

C. --  Yadier Molina, Matt Wieters (Andrew Knizner in AAA).    

I hated trading away Carson Kelly because he would have been my primary starter but having the depth at Catcher with Molina, Wieters, and Knizner allowed me to make the move.  Yadi is still performing on average with most catchers in the league.  He won't blow anyone away with his stats but he won't hurt me either.  Wieters had over 10 HR's in limited action with the Cardinals.   

1B. -- Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Olson, Aledmys Diaz

Pretty darn solid twosome with Goldschmidt and Olson.  One of these guys will be my full-time UTI player when they both have games.  Both capable of 35 plus homeruns and 100 plus RBI.

2B -- Scott Kingery, Kolton Wong, Jurickson Profor, Aledmys Diaz, Tommy Edman, Brad Miller

A lot of potential with Kingery.  Wong and Profor both solid performers. Wong, Edman and Kingery all threats for stolen bases.  

3B. Nolan Arenado, Matt Carpenter, Scott Kingery , Aledmys Diaz, Tommy Edman, Brad Miller

I had the third overall pick in the supplemental and I had my top three targets as Arenado, Yelich, and Story.   I assumed two of the three would be gone and I would take who was left.  All three were still there and I had to make a decision.  I went with Arenado due to 3B being the position I was most concerned about.  I don't have a stud OF'er but I have a lot of potential out there that I can use.  Lots of depth at this position in case of injury or days off.

SS.  Paul DeJong, Scott Kingery

DeJong is kind of an under the radar guy for the Cardinals.   30 doubles and 30 HR's with 9 SB and steller defense.  He is a solid/steady performer.  The primary reason I traded for an additional pick in the 2nd round of the supplemental was to grab Kingery for his versatility.  His SS eligibility (along with 2B, 3B, and OF) makes him very valuable to me.  Not to mention the fact he had 34 Doubles, 19 Homeruns, and 15 stolen bases in 458 AB's last year.   

OF. Tommy Pham, Randal Grichuk, Stephon Piscotty, Jurickson Profor, Jason Heyward, Dexter Fowler, Scott Kingery, Brad Miller, Tommy Edman, Randy Arozarena.   

Just a lot of bodies I can throw out here and play the hot hand.  The list above has only 1 Starting OF for the Cardinals (Fowler) on it.  I have exclusives on my roster that will be starting in the other two spots.  So I have a lot of depth.  Grichuk hit 31 bombs last year with 90 RBI.  Piscotty was injured most of the year but is capable of 30 HR and 100 RBI when healthy. Pham, when healthy, can stuff a stat sheet.  he was a 20/20 guy last year with 33 doubles.   No massive big thumper here but enough to hopefully mix and match when needed.  

SP:  Jack Flaherty, Dakota Hudson, Adam Wainwright, Carlos Martinez, Mike Leake, Luke Weaver, Sandy Alcantara, Marco Gonzales, Michael Wacha, Kwang-Hyu Kim, 

With the exception of Mikolas (who I don't believe will play this year due to an injury) I have the entire starting 5 for the Cardinals.  Flaherty had a historical second half of the year last year and finished 4th in the Cy Young with 20 quality starts.  Hudson went 16-7 with a 3.35 era as a rookie with 17 quality starts.  Carlos Martinez looked great in Spring Training and was a former #1 for the Cardinals before injuries hit him the last couple of years.  Marco Gonzales was named the opening day starter for the Mariners after winning 16 games and having an era under 4 last year.  He also had 19 quality starts, and Sandy Alcantara looks to build off a decent rookie campaign where he started 32 games and finished with 151 strikeouts and an era of 3.88 with 14 quality starts for a woefully bad Marlins team.   Mike Leake actually finished with 19 quality starts for the Diamond backs.   Just a solid group with a lot of bodies to compile category wins. 

RP: Alex Reyes, Giovanny Gallegos, Adam Ottavino, Trevor Rosenthal, Jordan Hicks, Austin Gomber, Genesis Cabrera, Tyler Webb, Daniel Ponce DeLeon.....

Just like everyone else, Relief pitcher is a crapshoot.  The good news is I have the Cardinals closer and almost all their set-up men.   The upside to the shutdown is when play does resume, Jordan Hicks will be even closer to rejoining the team as the projections for his return was July.    Until then though Gallegos and Ottavino were both lights out last year. In 73 games Ottavino had 28 holds and 1.90 era with 88 strikeouts in 66.1 innings for the Yankees.  Gallegos, after a slow start to his rookie season, finished with 19 holds and 93 strikeouts in 74 innings.  He is in line to be the closer for the Cardinals until Hicks returns UNLESS Alex Reyes wins the job.  Reyes was the #1 pitching prospect for the Cardinals and all of MLB just a few years ago.  He had the last couple of years derailed by different injuries but he is still only 25 and has electric stuff.  Before the shutdown, the Cardinals were touting him as the closer.   

Overall I am very happy with my team.  

Man I’m bored. 

assuming there is a season, this delay means I won’t be betting Tampa to win the AL East. I was thinking with all the Yankees injuries it wouldn’t be a bad wager. Still might not be but the delay will give judge, Stanton etc time to heal up