Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Black History Month Bios and Stuff

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The problem with Black History Month is that it doesn't accomplish its intent and actually makes things worse.  I'm willing to bet that more white people have a better working knowledge of the black influence in our country than black people.  It's mainly because of what was mentioned earlier in this thread about the current state of the black culture (glorified by the left), putting more credence in the wrong type of people.  Sad really.

What has ended up happening is black people don't reflect on the great accomplishments of their ancestors... but using this month to promote why they are victims.

Agreed.  That being said...

1 minute ago, peenie said:

In this thread I was reflecting on some accomplishments of people in the past. Kind of confused about the push back I've been getting here.

... I for one appreciate the effort.  The story of the guy who led the blood donation work was awesome.  To TB's point though, how do we get word out to the AA community?  

:dunno:

I think schools are making it a point to require children to learn about blacks in our American history. I'd argue that perhaps being sure that ALL Americans are well represented in school history books would be a start.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

In this thread I was reflecting on some accomplishments of people in the past. Kind of confused about the push back I've been getting here.

I'm not pushing back at all.  I think posting these are great as to remind us of some history once forgotten.  I'm simply pointing out that the people who will take more from this aren't the people who NEED to take more from this.  Honestly, I don't need a specific month to see things like this.  You can post them all year long as far as I'm concerned.  While I'm fairly well versed is SOME aspects of black history, I'm not that familiar across the board, so feel free in adding to this... and you don't need to stop.  I also see no reason why other's can't add to it as well, as some already have.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

:dunno:

I think schools are making it a point to require children to learn about blacks in our American history. I'd argue that perhaps being sure that ALL Americans are well represented in school history books would be a start.

The problem is that the school year is too short... but that always comes with push back from teachers and their unions.  Cause, as you know, their jobs are so demanding that they can't possibly work more than 180 days.

2 hours ago, peenie said:

I'm not pushing back.  I just don't give a sh*t, especially when it's being presented to us by a proven racist.  :dunno:

Why are black people so much more important than white people all of a sudden in this thread? I thought "all men were created equal."? And therefore, race should be of no importance to anyone's accomplishments. :dunno:

12 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Why are black people so much more important than white people all of a sudden in this thread? I thought "all men were created equal."? And therefore, race should be of no importance to anyone's accomplishments. :dunno:

It's Black History Month so I decided to post something interesting about a black American person or a topic that is related to black people here. I'd like to have 1 per day. Utilit99, I don't believe in race. I believe we are all one big family that all stemmed from Africa. There is a 2 min. video on page 1 (I think it's the second video) that explains why Black History Month exists and it's purpose.

Is anyone else surprised that it hasn't been officially renamed "African American History Month", you know, to shove more political correctness in our face...

45 minutes ago, posty said:

Is anyone else surprised that it hasn't been officially renamed "African American History Month", you know, to shove more political correctness in our face...

That is an interesting point.  When did Black History Month first start?  Does it pre-date the AA decree? 

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

That is an interesting point.  When did Black History Month first start?  Does it pre-date the AA decree? 

According to Wiki...

Negro History Week (1926) was the second week of February...

United States: Black History Month (1970) started at Kent State, but wasn't county-wide until 1976 when Ford acknowledged it...

I mean it is sad that we have a Black History Month...  Why can't we just celebrate people that meant something to this country no matter the color of their skin...

• Confused 1

Perhaps listen the video I posted on page 1 to further help your understanding so you don't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

Perhaps listen the video I posted on page 1 to further help your understanding so you don't have to keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Too long...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, peenie said:

Nah.

• Like 1

Duke architect Julian Abele 3 min:

12 hours ago, peenie said:

It's Black History Month so I decided to post something interesting about a black American person or a topic that is related to black people here. I'd like to have 1 per day. Utilit99, I don't believe in race. I believe we are all one big family that all stemmed from Africa. There is a 2 min. video on page 1 (I think it's the second video) that explains why Black History Month exists and it's purpose.

I see moral black people as equals to moral white people. I don't need a month of daily reminders that they exist. Just like you don't need a month of reminders that white people did great things in the past and present day. I am intellectually way past racism. As black people should be as well.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:12 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

The problem with Black History Month is that it doesn't accomplish its intent and actually makes things worse.  I'm willing to bet that more white people have a better working knowledge of the black influence in our country than black people.  It's mainly because of what was mentioned earlier in this thread about the current state of the black culture (glorified by the left), putting more credence in the wrong type of people.  Sad really.

What has ended up happening is black people don't reflect on the great accomplishments of their ancestors... but using this month to promote why they are victims.

I've never seen black history in action to know what they do.

I like that what we're seeing in this thread are doctors, scientists, and inventors and not victim mentality. 

12 hours ago, DonS said:

🤦‍♂️

Um. I guess you aren't watching the videos. They're only 2-3 minutes or so each.

7 hours ago, Voltaire said:

🤦‍♂️

Um. I guess you aren't watching the videos. They're only 2-3 minutes or so each.

I watched the one about the doctor who developed a way to preserve blood and came up with the first blood mobile.  I also commented about how cool that was. I don't recall it saying when Black History Month started, however. 🤦‍♂️

37 minutes ago, DonS said:

I watched the one about the doctor who developed a way to preserve blood and came up with the first blood mobile.  I also commented about how cool that was. I don't recall it saying when Black History Month started, however. 🤦‍♂️

Anyway,  what I learned is that it started in the 20s and went national when Gerald Ford was president so early/mid 70s. Even so, it never reached my school system by 1989.

15 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I see moral black people as equals to moral white people. I don't need a month of daily reminders that they exist. Just like you don't need a month of reminders that white people did great things in the past and present day. I am intellectually way past racism. As black people should be as well.

You don't have to be reminded of anything by simply NOT CLICKING THIS THREAD. No one is forcing you to read any of it.

However, I do understand your point and I blame myself for titling the thread "Enlighten yourself here." It implies that you all are ignorant or think black people haven't accomplished things...it is offensive to you guys and I'll change the title. I am being educated just as much as you are.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strike said:

How about a bio of Ben Carson?

Post it! 

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

Post it! 

Not my thread.  And I don't post based on race.  But if you're going to he would be a good choice.

Blind Tom Wiggins 2 mins:

I like that song! Lol! That's my new song. 

My final entry is something fun: Swag Surfin'

A dance from a hip hop song that came out in 2009 called Swag Surfin' is now done at football and basketball games all across America. It's a lot of fun to do and see.

For those not familiar, here is how the dance is done:

Now let's check out how Auburn Swag Surfs:

26 minutes ago, posty said:

This will probably be a bad idea...

Yeah, it's probably gonna be some bullsh1t, like the rest of the tv shows and stations aimed at black audiences. Unwatchable crap.

Thanks for this thread peenie. I enjoy history, all history. Based on geography I mostly go down native American and Mexican rabbit holes. Nice to learn about some great black Americans.

As for the people biotching about no white history month, well for anyone who is interested they have 12 months out of the year to learn about it, nothing is stopping them. Except they probably dgaf about history to begin with. Or perhaps they could start a sincere white history thread sometime.

In this era of "identity months", at least black history month is a pretty casual attempt to honor and educate. Unlike the pride month, women's month, tranny month, etc where they just try to scream at anyone who doesn't participate.

I am out of likes for the day so I couldn't acknowledge your individual posts, but thanks for all of them. Hopefully the GC can set aside the usual gripes and slap fights for a few more weeks and let this thread unfold.

• Thanks 1