Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

Iowa Caucus

19 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

I saw something somewhere that said turnout was overwhelming 

But I think it was on CNN so it can't be trusted

I dont expect overwhelming totals. Especially if biden does actually finish 4th....that doesnt scream big turnout to me IMO.

Maybe hit 2016 numbers? Which if so...is a win for trump.

5 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I watched it out of curiosity of the process. They showed like 8 locations and most had maybe 100-200 people

you have to go to these locations and in some cases stand for hours wile they get it all worked out... it is a really dumb system

Just now, bandrus1 said:

you have to go to these locations and in some cases stand for hours wile they get it all worked out... it is a really dumb system

Sounds like a great way to find out what hard working Americans that can't  afford to take time off from work think.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DonS said:

Sounds like a great way to find out what hard working Americans that can't  afford to take time off from work think.

its also really polarizing because it tends to cater to both extremes  

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Former Massachusetts governor and token black guy who joined the race the same week as Bloomberg did and is polling around 0.0%.

He is pretty liberal too.  Not one that I could even remotely consider.  We like our "Republican" governors better.  

8 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

He is pretty liberal too.  Not one that I could even remotely consider.  We like our "Republican" governors better.  

charlie is alright, except for his weed stance

The delayed result from the Iowa Democratic caucus in the US has put the spotlight on a start-up called Shadow, which is part of a wider effort by veterans of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign to boost the party’s use of technology.

While there has been no official explanation of the problems that befell the start of the Democratic presidential race, a number of precincts in Iowa had problems reporting their vote count through an app built by Shadow, and a back-up plan to report counts by phone was delayed when call centre lines were inundated.

Shadow, whose registered office appears to be in a WeWork building in Washington, says on its website that it is made up of “campaign and technology veterans” who have worked for Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Apple and Google.

“Our mission is to build political power for the progressive movement by developing affordable and easy-to-use tools for teams and budgets of any size,” it adds. 

The Iowa Democratic party spent a total of $63,183 with Shadow in November and December last year, according to state campaign expenditure reports.

Shadow is closely linked to Acronym, a new non-profit backed by big names from Silicon Valley, Wall Street and Hollywood, which hopes to help the Democrats counter President Donald Trump’s formidable army of online supporters with greater digital marketing savvy.

Acronym was founded in March 2017 by Tara McGowan, a former journalist turned digital marketer in the Democrats’ 2016 presidential campaign. Its board members include David Plouffe, head of President Obama’s 2008 election campaign and a former Uber executive who now works at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, a multi-billion-dollar philanthropic group led by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan. 

The Washington-based organisation has recruited several Facebook engineers and also won the backing of the social network’s former head of product Chris Cox. 

“What pushes campaigns to innovate is often necessity,” Ms McGowan has told the FT previously. “I feel very confident that Democrats are going to be able to use every tool and channel available to them to organise and mobilise in 2020.”

Acronym’s use of voter data to power sophisticated digital advertising, as well as create Democrat-friendly “news” stories through social media in swing states, has generated both admiration and controversy among US liberals. 

According to OpenSecrets.org, which tracks campaign financing, the biggest donors to Acronym’s Super PAC include hedge fund managers Seth Klarman of Baupost Group and Donald Sussman of Paloma Funds; Michael Moritz, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist at Sequoia Capital; and Ken Duda, an executive at Arista Networks, a provider of networking technology. Its supporters in Hollywood include star directors and producers JJ Abrams, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Steven Spielberg, and actor Kate Capshaw. 

Acronym links prominently to Shadow’s website from its own homepage, positioning it as a key part of its “playbook” to build support for the Democrats using the latest technological tools. 

“In January 2019 we launched Shadow, a tech company focused on enabling organisers to run smarter campaigns,” Acronym says on its website. 

Shadow is led by chief executive Gerard Niemira, who previously led technology and operations at Acronym, according to his LinkedIn profile. Before that, he had worked on Mrs Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, building digital tools for supporters and field organisers. He joined the Clinton campaign after several years at Kiva.org, a non-profit that facilitates peer-to-peer loans to people in developing countries. 

Mr Niemira co-founded Groundbase in December 2016 with another alumnus of Kiva and the Clinton campaign, Krista Davis, who is now Shadow’s chief technology officer. 

A spokesperson for Acronym said in a statement posted to Twitter overnight that the non-profit had “not provided any technology to the Iowa Democratic Party, Presidential campaigns or the Democratic National Committee” and claimed it was merely one investor among several backing Shadow. 

“We are reading confirmed reports of Shadow’s work with the Iowa Democratic Party on Twitter, and we, like everyone else, are eagerly awaiting more information from the Iowa Democratic Party with respect to what happened,” Acronym said. 

A spokesperson for the Iowa Democratic party said in a statement that the delay was due to “inconsistencies” in reporting. “This is simply a reporting issue, the app did not go down and this is not a hack or an intrusion,” the party said. “The underlying data and paper trail is sound and will simply take time to further report the results.”

Additional reporting by Richard Waters in San Francisco

1 minute ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/story/2020-02-04/clinton-campaign-vets-behind-2020-iowa-caucus-app-snafu

Tech firm started by Clinton campaign veterans is linked to Iowa caucus debacle

They'd better bring in Crowdstrike to get to the bottom of this. 

"The surprise winner of a Iowa is... HILLARY CLINTON!!!" 

• Haha 1

DES MOINES, Iowa – The morning after a technical meltdown delayed the reporting of the Iowa caucus results – causing chaos in the political world -- the Iowa Democratic Party blamed the debacle on a “coding issue” in its reporting app and pledged to release the caucus results “as soon as possible.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/iowa-dem-party-blames-caucus-fiasco-on-coding-issue-vows-to-release-results-as-soon-as-possible

“Anybody who can go down 3,000 feet in a mine can sure as hell learn to program as well,” Biden also bafflingly added that “Anybody who can throw coal into a furnace can learn how to program, for God’s sake!” even though that isn’t actually a part of coal mining.

• Haha 4

Shadow probably is proud of how much diversity there is among their programmers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

This is honestly like watching a Christopher Guest movie

What in the hell?  😂 

4 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

This is honestly like watching a Christopher Guest movie

What's wrong with being sexy? 

I'm confident that however the caucus results eventually turn out, all of the democratic candidates will accept the results with no challenges.  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'm confident that however the caucus results eventually turn out, all of the democratic candidates will accept the results with no challenges.  :thumbsup:

I believe this as strongly as you do because the democrats are well-known for being totally respectful of authority and will go along with what esteemed leadership decides without resisting or rocking the boat in any way.

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

They absolutely will.  Trump is so much in their head, they are all playing nice-nice.  Lyin Liz would have been out after day 1 if anyone had any balls.  Does anyone really want the job?

22 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

We are witnessing the end of the 2 party system and it isn't going how we all thought it would.

I'd be happy if we were witnessing the end of the stupid caucus system.  

In all fairness, they are just proving a point.  The Electoral College protects states like Iowa where a few, stupid people control key delegates in the Electoral College, so that they don't get overwhelmed by them big city-folk.  By allowing these morons to have any delegates in the Electoral College, it shows how utterly dumb it is.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Im starting to agree with 90's about who should be allowed to vote

I don't know why she had to bring the bible up, just say I don't want to vote for him because he's disgusting 

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I'd be happy if we were witnessing the end of the stupid caucus system.  

Much like Groundhog Day, it's a quaint holdover from a different era that shouldn't be taken seriously.  It does have value as the symbolic opening of the campaign season and could be marketed as such.

So a bunch of former Hillary supporters start a company called ACRONYM that is designed to create and push narratives on social media in battle ground states to attack Trump. Gee, that sounds awfully familiar.

Then they form a PAC called, wait for it, PACRONYM so they can bring in an unlimited amount of money to fund their operations. 

Then they create an app company called Shadow, which somehow is hired by the Iowa and Nevada Democrat Parties to run their caucuses. Despite the fact that they are a brand new company with no track record.

Nothing to see here at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intense Observer said:

So a bunch of former Hillary supporters start a company called ACRONYM that is designed to create and push narratives on social media in battle ground states to attack Trump. Gee, that sounds awfully familiar.

Then they form a PAC called, wait for it, PACRONYM so they can bring in an unlimited amount of money to fund their operations. 

Then they create an app company called Shadow, which somehow is hired by the Iowa and Nevada Democrat Parties to run their caucuses. Despite the fact that they are a brand new company with no track record.

Nothing to see here at all.

"Hillary Supporters" = people who gave a bunch of money to Hillary and she hooked them up to get a return on their investment.  They probably invented and coded the "app" after the Super bowl. 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

DES MOINES, Iowa – The morning after a technical meltdown delayed the reporting of the Iowa caucus results – causing chaos in the political world -- the Iowa Democratic Party blamed the debacle on a “coding issue” in its reporting app and pledged to release the caucus results “as soon as possible.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/iowa-dem-party-blames-caucus-fiasco-on-coding-issue-vows-to-release-results-as-soon-as-possible

“Anybody who can go down 3,000 feet in a mine can sure as hell learn to program as well,” Biden also bafflingly added that “Anybody who can throw coal into a furnace can learn how to program, for God’s sake!” even though that isn’t actually a part of coal mining.

Nah, this is an example of getting more girls to code.  Girl power!!!! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Im starting to agree with 90's about who should be allowed to vote

You have many out there crying about this lady and calling her out for being such a meanie and a bigot. Those same folks won't say a godddamn word though when these primaries move south and our beloved colored folks refuse to vote for a f@ggot. 

31 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

In all fairness, they are just proving a point.  The Electoral College protects states like Iowa where a few, stupid people control key delegates in the Electoral College, so that they don't get overwhelmed by them big city-folk.  By allowing these morons to have any delegates in the Electoral College, it shows how utterly dumb it is.  :lol:

Thank you for proving exactly why the EC is important. 

Don't get me wrong. If trump could just focus on Los Angeles, Chicago and New York? He would win in a terrific landslide. And if you don't live in one of those cities? This is a moronic post. 

And it's the state DNC...not all iowans. 

Sorry to interrupt your self cack sucking. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Personally I think that they should get rid of the Electoral College and give each state (and DC) one vote...  Whomever gets the most votes in the state wins that state's vote...  The first to 26 is the President...  Wouldn't this make each state all equals and have the candidates campaign in more states than they do now?

42 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I don't know why she had to bring the bible up, just say I don't want to vote for him because he's disgusting 

The original intent in the Bible banning homosexuality was that sex itself is a very dirty and filthy act that spreads disease.  To prevent the spread of disease, they established the following system:

1. no sex outside marriage (to limit partners)
2. sex is only to be used for procreation, not pleasure, so homosexual sex is totally banned.
3. homosexual sex, anal sex, etc is all made taboo to help prevent the spread of disease.

Democrats latched onto acceptance of homosexuality and alternative sex lifestyles to try to destroy the republicans (since republicans overwhelmingly disapproved of anything but monogamous sex between a man and woman).  If the republicans flip flopped and embraced alternative sex lifestyles, the democrats will just flip back the other way and start saying how unsanitary it all is and say the republicans are idiots for embracing anything outside of sex between a married man and woman and they will blame the republicans for trying to ruin society by spreading disease.

The democrats don't care either way.  Its a political football used to try to win elections.  Nothing more.  You can argue it from either side.  The left will start parading doctors on TV explaining the health hazards of sex until weak republicans feel guilt and shame for embracing homosexuality.  Its all about winning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Strike said:

Nevada was going to use the same app.  Apparently they've reconsidered:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics/iowa-caucus-app-issues/index.html

🤣

Well here is the problem...

The Nevada Democratic Party said Tuesday that it will not use Shadow Inc., the maker of the app that caused reporting issues in the Iowa caucuses, to power its state caucuses later this month, despite already paying tens of thousands of dollars to the Democrat-affiliated technology company.

3 minutes ago, posty said:

Personally I think that they should get rid of the Electoral College and give each state (and DC) one vote...  Whomever gets the most votes in the state wins that state's vote...  The first to 26 is the President...  Wouldn't this make each state all equals and have the candidates campaign in more states than they do now?

Wouldnt that do the opposite and vastly undervalue large population states? 

5 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Wouldnt that do the opposite and vastly undervalue large population states? 

Yeah it would, but I think it would make the smaller states important enough that they would benefit getting the money from campaigning in their state...  Wouldn't that help the smaller states with their bottom line or am I totally off base here...

Just now, posty said:

Yeah it would, but I think it would make the smaller states important enough that they would benefit getting the money from campaigning in their state...  Wouldn't that help the smaller states with their bottom line or am I totally off base here...

Well sure...if you value Vermont the same as California I'm sure VT would be thrilled.  

But what do I know. I'm in a state that cant figure out phone apps apparently 

24 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Thank you for proving exactly why the EC is important. 

Don't get me wrong. If trump could just focus on Los Angeles, Chicago and New York? He would win in a terrific landslide. And if you don't live in one of those cities? This is a moronic post. 

And it's the state DNC...not all iowans. 

Sorry to interrupt your self cack sucking. 

Whhhhooooooossshhhhhh.  This went over your head.  I was making fun of the Democrats focking this up.  I was sarcastically saying they did it intentionally to support their narrative to abolish the Electoral College.  But carry on with your Hicksville inferiority complex.  :lol:

• Like 1