Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

Electrical help needed.

This spring I'll need to drain off a small swampy area on my property, about 2 acres.  It was an extremally wet fall and now a wet winter and I'm trying to get rid of as much water as possible to keep my basement dry.  I have sump pumps in the house and an outdoor one but they will be running extra with all the water in the swamp.  

My question is, how far can you run extension cords to a site draining pump such as this  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Site-Drainer-1-2-HP-Submersible-Sump-Pump-with-Non-Clogging-Screen-and-Vertical-Float-for-Auto-On-Off-Operation-in-Dirty-Water-101-V/310072553

I'm looking at around 200' from the house to the part of the swamp by the ditch I plan on pumping into.  

Product overview 

The Pit Boss 101 V 1/2 HP Submersible Sump Pump is recommended for use in areas where water accumulates and contains debris that would normally clog a pump. The pump is ideal for emergency basement, construction site, emergency flood water drainage, flooded basements, pools, and general dewatering. The product, due to its unique design, can work in virtually any environment without ever clogging. It can pump up to 3685 GPH with 5 ft. lift, comes with 33 ft. power cord, runs off of 110-Volt, draws 5.6 Amps, and has 2 in. NPT male discharge flange to accommodate lay flat construction hoses. Debris in water will not interfere with operation of integrated vertical float inside non clogging cage.

• Pumps up to 3685 GPH at 5 ft. lift, emptying sump pit in seconds (3700 GPH at 0 ft lift)
  • Pump motor incorporates a circle thermal protector which protects against overheating and dry run; housed in watertight casing, conforms to class F insulation; 110-Volt motor, draws only 5.6 Amps
  • Residential, commercial, and industrial site dewatering, construction site, civil engineering projects, basements, parking lots, removing residue water
  • Integrated vertical float allows for auto on operation at 7 in. of water, auto off operation at 1 in. water
  • 304 stainless steel screen surrounds pump preventing rocks, rope, other debris from clogging pump impeller, rendering trouble-free, long lasting operation
  • 33 ft. power cord, 2 in. NPT male discharge flange, easy-to-grip handle makes this pump easily portable

No limit on length...its considered temp wiring but dont buy some cheapo cord, spend the dough on either 12 awg (good for 20 amps) size minimum or even 10 awg good for 30 amps. Plug into an outlet that's protected by a 20 amp circuit. Like a garage outlet which since 1997 code was required to be 20 amps. Kitchen outlets and bathroom outlets also fall under this requirement.  

Cheaper to buy a whole spool and make your own cord. 

Call the electric company. 

Guess we know what you'll be spending your 5 days of Summer doing.

Good luck, man!

7 minutes ago, shotsup said:

Cheaper to buy a whole spool and make your own cord. 

I was just looking into this.  :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, drobeski said:

No limit on length...its considered temp wiring but dont buy some cheapo cord, spend the dough on either 12 awg (good for 20 amps) size minimum or even 10 awg good for 30 amps. Plug into an outlet that's protected by a 20 amp circuit. Like a garage outlet which since 1997 code was required to be 20 amps. Kitchen outlets and bathroom outlets also fall under this requirement.  

If I bought a spool of 12ga wire could I tap into the breaker box I had installed outside of my house for my hot tub?  50 amp box I believe. 

I'd make it into an extension cord until the ground thaws and then burry it and put an outdoor box by the swamp for future use.  

I know a 'guy' that can do that for me as I choose life.  

1 minute ago, Fireballer said:

5.6 amps isnt much draw. Its not like youre running a microwave on it. If It were me, Id build my own.

Remember, I sell insurance for a living.  :lol:

27 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

If I bought a spool of 12ga wire could I tap into the breaker box I had installed outside of my house for my hot tub?  50 amp box I believe. 

I'd make it into an extension cord until the ground thaws and then burry it and put an outdoor box by the swamp for future use.  

I know a 'guy' that can do that for me as I choose life.  

Is the hot tub box an actual breaker box or it just a shut off/safety switch?  Obviously it wouldnt meet code to just tap into it,   but its certainly possible.   If it were me, Id add a dedicated circuit at your main panel and run it outside(easier said than done, I know).  Also, use direct bury cable if youre not putting it in conduit.

• Like 1